Is it harder to become good at guitar or drums? What are your thoughts?

Is it harder to become good at guitar or drums? What are your thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ucQt-pEPv50
rockstarmind.com/practice-without-a-guitar/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've always heard drums

Unless drums come kinda natural to you particularly a roll.

As a guitarist who has been playing for 12 years and reached a passable level within the first three months, I'm gonna say drums.

Probably depends on the person. They're very different.

Probably drums up to a reasonable gigging level of good.

Above that it sort of evens out for most instruments

I've played drums and guitar both for like 10+ years. It's easier to get good at drums. Anyone can play drums provided they have a sense of timing. You can also practice without a kit.
Guitar requires the timing of drumming as well as extensive practice of scales/modes, advanced chords, picking technique, and a bunch of other shit. Then you have to learn about tone and shit as well.

I can't play either.

How long is a piece of string ? It really depends on the individual who wants to succeed one instrument. Guitar and drums both have there challenges, ones not out doing the other in difficulty. If anything drums you may have to be physically fit more then guitarist just due to your constant body movement and when you plus that with lights beaming down on you and your wearing a suit (depending if your playing jazz) or your wearing jeans and a shirt and rocking out. your gonna be having a waterfall of sweat coming off you

I think it depends on what you mean by good. Really mastering an instrument takes the same amount of work regardless of the instrument. Getting basic stuff down is simple on both guitar and drums(a basic 4/4 with some fills on drums or common open chords and strumming on guitar). Getting to a decent level to be able to jam with people is probably easier on drums as you don't really need to know anything about harmony which is really hard, especially joining people when you don't know a song, you have to find the chords, the melody and the rhythm mostly by ear and then figure out something to play considering all those aspects so that it fits. Drums only need the rhythm.

>waterfall of sweat coming off you
Funny you mention that, since I come across this today. Jazz drummer literally steaming.
youtube.com/watch?v=ucQt-pEPv50
at 7:30-7:40

Vocalists have the easiest.

classically trained vocalist, self taught drummer and guitarist here

Pop vocals (most of what is heard on Sup Forums) are going to be relatively easier yes but traditional solo/choral vocals are much more nuanced and technically difficult, and above all it takes a certain trained confidence and stage presence to really make something of it, and that said going from classical vocals to pop vocals is actually somewhat of a challenge because it's such a different mindset, feels like playing a different instrument really

both drums and guitar are hard/easy to learn in their own rights, I wouldn't put one above the other

anyone can pick up the fundamentals of rhythm and be passable at drums but it takes a lot of work to get to the next level up and more so for each level after, it's easy to be good but hard to be better than that and treat the drum set as a collective instrument rather than a literal set of things you hit with sticks in time, I think it's naive to say you only need rhythm, there is harmony and melody to drumming

guitar is easy if you want to strum simple chords used in 70% of pop music but anything past that will require an understanding of theory to actually apply it so you're (again) playing it as a full instrument rather than an autoharp

can't say I can offer a strong opinion either way, but if you think your done with theory after you get rhythm down you'll never be better than "good"

I realize this post isn't saying much but tl;dr, they're entirely different instruments and it'd be vapid to try to compare them by difficulty

guitar. Drums can be picked up in a day

It depends on what you're into. It may be more complicated for drummers because I believe that drummer gear is more expensive if we are talking about what's needed for basis. You need a guitar, a laptop and headphones to be able to play your instrument in your bedroom. It won't be as easy for drummers. I can't play my acoustic drums at home so I have to rent a room where I could do that. So for a person like me it is harder to master drums without a good regular income.

You can practice your syncopation and timing without a kit though. Can't practice guitar without a guitar.

Yes but the motivation (and fun) might fade when you're unable to use the instrument.
>Can't practice guitar without a guitar.
That's the upside of guitars. A single guitar will be a practice material and an usable instrument while a drummer have to get a practice set and it won't be anything near the real deal.

>Can't practice guitar without a guitar.
I actually read some interview with some guitarist a couple of years ago (can't remember who) and as crazy as that sounds, he claimed he practices by imagining playing guitar, moving fingers across the fret or something like that and said it gives you improvement. Of course, you have to play the physical guitar, but the same applies to drums.

...Huh.

Guess it was an experienced guitar player. Don't think a method like that would work for everyone. It's more possible to practice drums without drums but you'll need something to practice on and it won't be free. ..unless you're ok with ruining you furniture and dusting your place up.

rockstarmind.com/practice-without-a-guitar/
I knew it wasn't just some random guy idea. It sounded like a good addition to your regular practice. Under point 4 (visualizing) it's basically covered up what I read years ago (obviously it's not the same source, it was some pro guitarist insight, guess he wasn't talking out off his ass).

IMO in terms of easiness bass>drums>guitar>keys

But I would advice to start with guitar or keys if you're interested in songwriting.

Objective order

I would say drums take a lot more coordination

>the play bass
It was pretty damn easy though, I ended up making up for it by learning shit tons of music theory and becoming a better songwriter/composer