Are there any living composers as talented as Mozart?

Are there any living composers as talented as Mozart?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082385/We-1--You-need-34k-income-global-elite--half-worlds-richest-live-U-S.html
youtube.com/watch?v=sVHl-pqaIYM
youtube.com/watch?v=7LmBM0mTafI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fBdujiGWs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mozart

At least not as naturally talented.

penderecki

Nein

Her?

Hans Zimmer

nicely meme'd gentlesir

That's ridiculous. Mozart died centuries ago. I'm no longer a living composer.

what this guy (who isnt mozart) said
theres no way this user is mozart because he died long ago so dont even worry about it
hes. not. mozart

Come to brazil

mozart alive in serbia! mozart real strong wizard kill all kebab with piano magic!

mozart is dead and theres no way im still memeing on Sup Forums dot org

All Grimes' fanboys think this.
You're very wrong.

Explain why do you think I'm wrong

You lack the brainpower to reach correct conclusions.

I dare to say Autechre.

If Bernstein was still alive, I would say him. Bernstein and Shostakovich might have been on his level.

That's not an argument. I'm assuming you're dumb.

don't feed the waifufag please

Mozart was a pop musician. The music he produced was the pop music of his time.

If Mozart was alive, he would produce pop music and he would be the voice of his generation. The voice of the current generation is Kanye. Kanye is the modern equivalent of Mozart.

>Mozart was a pop musician. The music he produced was the pop music of his time.
[citation needed]

He produced music mostly for the European aristocracy, the one that paid him.
By any definition of "pop music", he didn't write pop music.

>not Grimes

this desu

> The opera Die Entführung enjoyed immediate and continuing success and bolstered Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s name and talent throughout Europe. With the substantial returns from concerts and publishing, he and Constanze enjoyed a lavish lifestyle. They lived in one of the more exclusive apartment buildings of Vienna, sent their son, Karl Thomas, to an expensive boarding school, kept servants, and maintained a busy social life.

Yeah, now look who commissioned that opera.
The public that could afford to watch such operas was the immediate aristocracy or the richer plebeians.

Kanye

This, honestly

Me.

What is it with plebs and their infatuation with Mozart? He's not even the best composer.

>The public that could afford to watch such operas was the immediate aristocracy or the richer plebeians.
Which is the direct equivalent today of you and me.

Are you saying that only the elite can afford to listen to Kanye West today?
Are you clinically retarded?

>grimes
wow. first time i heard about her.
eargasm and [spoiler]orgasm[/spoiler]

>Are there any living composers as talented as Mozart?
Francis of the filth is on par

bump

>Are you saying that only the elite can afford to listen to Kanye West today?
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082385/We-1--You-need-34k-income-global-elite--half-worlds-richest-live-U-S.html
Unironically yes. Which I guess, in itself, is more than a bit ironic.

But that doesn't make it not true.

What was his fucking problem?

too much talent

still alive

madlib

>some beatboxing coon
>mozart
you serious?

Fuck off Wagner was way more talented

Lera Auerbach
Tristan Murial
John Psathas
Anthony Ritchie
Arvo Part
Karl Jenkins
Helmut Lachenmann
Haas
Penderecki

Grimes is not a composer of classical music.

They are not composers, and they're doing what Stockhausen was doing in the late 50s, but worse.

Goldsmith > Bernstein

If Mozart was alive he would be writing opera, piano conceri and symphonies. The pop music of his day was someone improvising on a hurdy-gurdy or a bunch of minstrels playing in a tavern. It was mindless and unorganized, and made for easy consuption, as popular music always is.

Mozarts music was the opposite of popular music, and many people struggled with it. He had trouble maintaining patrons as he tended to write too radically, constantly undermining listener expectations.

>composers
If you can't write sheet music, you're not a composer.

>Helmut Lachenmann

youtube.com/watch?v=sVHl-pqaIYM
brilliant

bruh madlib can do multiple genres and writes jazz music too

I cried. Thank you so much!

really makes you think

>If you can't write sheet music, you're not a composer.
Found a salty composer.
Btw, pic related.

>Max martin
>Ugly
and yes Max martin can write sheet music. He is a legitimate composer. Hence why he knows what he's doing and makes hit after hit.

Stop talking about sheet music. Some of the Beatles didn't know any theory and they still created great music.

>max "#1 hits for sale" martin
based

mccartney knew enough

The Beatles aren't composers though. They had to get people who could actually write sheet music to write and record the string quartet parts in their songs.

"composing music" does not make you a composer. You need to be able to fulfil all the roles of a composer in order to be one. That means being able to write for orchestra, choir, chamber groups, etc, without going through an orchestrator. Essentially you need to be able to understand and write sheet music. Composers learn their craft by studying the scores of the masters. You need to be able to read and understand a score in order to do that.

>beatles
>created great music

The

fact

that

>you
>stubborn contrarian
pick both

Why do people think Kanye West is, in any way, relevant to the modern Western audience?

Nobody outside of Sup Forums even gives a shit about Kanye, and the only people on Sup Forums who do, do it "ironically". You could go up to a savvy, up-to-date teenage girl and ask her to tell you about Kanye West's latest achievements, and she'd look at you like "What the fuck are you talking about? Kanye West hasn't been relevant since he married Kim Kardashian, and even then, nobody really gave a shit."

Are people really so normie that they unironically nod their heads and drool when Kanye tells them "[he's] a lyrical genius, and that [he's] the voice of a generation"? Absolutely barbaric, 2bh.

>you
>plebeian
pick both

>the only people on Sup Forums who do, do it "ironically"
you answered your own question

>"I am a patrician because I listen to more obscure and abrasive music than the beatles. I act this way so I can look cool in front of others"
tell me, why exactly do you think you're a 'patrician'??

>they're doing what Stockhausen was doing in the late 50s, but worse.
You have no clue what you're talking about. Autechre's work is as of now far more serial than anything Stocky could pull off on Kontakt.

Irony turns to post-irony turns to unirony.

Don't believe me? Look at the memes.

i listen to a lot of music from every genre, including the beatles
this is why i am aware the beatles are pretty average

Let him be. We're on Sup Forums anyway, almost everyone here is an edgy teenager. Just check the official Sup Forums Discord. Pure cringe.

Somehow I doubt it. Do they even understand serialism?

Either way, they're 60 years late to the serial electronic music party.

Lmao this snob style bait right here.

>Do they even understand serialism?
No shit. It's not that hard a concept to understand.

>Either way, they're 60 years late to the serial electronic music party.
Cool, and I guess those guys 60 years ago were 400 years late to the classical music composition party, and 30-40 years late to the serialism party.

Autechre has expanded on ideas of serialism, indeterminacy, progression, and packaging of both early and recent electronic guys the same way early electronic guys expanded the ideas of guys like Schoenberg and Russolo.

Sounds like YOU'RE even more than 60 years too late to the party of actual musical advancements happening today. Literally lewronggeneration tier garbage coming from you.

>Grimes is not a composer of classical music.
youtube.com/watch?v=7LmBM0mTafI

>The pop music of his day was someone improvising
user, improvisational music can't be "pop" music - by definition. If Mozart were alive today he would be making the same kind of music everyone else making music for modern audiences does - accept perhaps that much better.

>If you can't write sheet music, you're not a composer.
Lol tell that to Hildegard of Bingen.

>popular music can't be improvised
[citation needed]
>If Mozart were alive today he would be making the same kind of music everyone else making music for modern audiences does
i don't even know what is this supposed to mean
are you implying there isn't a classical audience today?

hildegard of bingen wrote sheet music, ordo virtutum for example

I love it when obvious non (or perhaps "hobby") composers start spouting this sort of nonsense. See Music history is filled with great composers/musicians who could barely read/write their native language, much less their era's form of music notation. Ehat do you think scribes were for?

>popular music can't be improvised
>[citation needed]
Lol it's called basic logic

>i don't even know what is this supposed to mean
Who's musical tastes were Mozart's compositions oriented towards in his day? People fetishizing over music styles popular 400+ years prior (ie. a capella choral music) or people into the latest musical trends/styles and instruments such as the ~60 year old innovation known as the Fortepiano?

The latter - obviously.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5fBdujiGWs

Not as talented at what Mozart was talented at, but I am just as talented at what I like to do.

>Lol it's called basic logic
not an argument, please explain why can't popular music be improvised

>Who's musical tastes were Mozart's compositions oriented towards in his day? People fetishizing over music styles popular 400+ years prior (ie. a capella choral music) or people into the latest musical trends/styles and instruments such as the ~60 year old innovation known as the Fortepiano?
if you weren't so ignorant you would know contemporary classical is not a "musical style popular 400+ years prior"

that was actually unironically awful.

>please explain why can't popular music be improvised
Popular music becomes 'popular' by way of repeated performance. By definition, improvisational music is never repeated. There are popular musicians who are known for repeatedly performing improvised music. It it is they who are popular - not the ever-changing music they perform.

>if you weren't so ignorant you would know contemporary classical
"Contemporary classical" isn't even actually a thing. It's a misnomer people place on neo-classical music. True contemporary classical music is whatever music gets made now that continues to be popular hundreds of years from now. Ie. no one can absolutely be sure for a very long time to come whether that's gonna include music from John Tavener or Kanye West. Or both.

t. Professional Neo-Classical (because it's a fun genre in which to write) Music Composer

Don't bother talking. God knows what you're thinking.

No one gets to be on Mozart's level/truly surpass it until after their legacy manages to survive for hundreds of years after their death. With that said, if I were to have to name a single musician/composer of the current era who functions primarily in the contemporary music world rather than the neo-classical one (since that ISN'T where true musical innovation or enduring legacies like Mozart's are established*), that name would have to be Grimes. Completely unironically.

shut the fuck up he died homeless and penniless while his friend haydn wrote masterpieces for the austrian king.

ok, I'm convinced now, Lachenmann is the new mozart

Von Bingen wrote sheet music. That was how renaissance and medieval composers got people to sing their music. By writing it down. Try not to discuss things you dont understand.

>Autechre has expanded on ideas
I dont believe you. Post some ideas they have expanded on and explain in what ways they have expanded.
I think you'll find its the trained composers who are expanding the ideas. Its all about extended instrumental techniques and getting players to trigger effect and loops by what they play - live electronics etc. No one uses electronics alone, its all about the performer and combining a real instrument with electronics.

The definition of popular music is a modern one. Back in Mozart's day there was common music for people in taverns and on the streets, then there was refined music for nobles in their courts. There was also sacred music. If we were to give modern definitions to music back then, street music and tavern music would be the closest to popular music - easy to digest background music made by people who want to get paid. And then the refine music for the nobles would be art music - written by people who have been given commissions because they are respected composers. Those two separate facets of music still exist today.

>Music history is filled with great composers/musicians who could barely read/write their native language, much less their era's form of music notation.
If you knew anything about music history, you would know thats not the case at all.

The closest you get to a great composer who didn't know music theory is Mussorgsky, and even he had composition tutelage from some of the masters.

Try not to sound so confident when you clearly don't know what you're talking about :^)

At the very least admit you know nothing, go do some research and come back with informed opinions.

No he didn't, he died in debt but he had a house and his widow made him posthumously profitable.

This

That's right. But only if she manages to have a legacy like Kate Bush or Bjork (at least 8 great albums). Grimes is on the right path.

The mark of a truly great musician is having a well-trained ear, and the way one's ear gets trained is by listening to music - LOTS of it. That is how a person like Grimes - someone with virtually no knowledge of music from a theoretical perspective, could go from singing solo in public for the very first time to releasing whole albums of heavily layered music entirely composed by herself in the space of 3 years. Because prior to that she had spent something like 17+ years being under constant, extensive exposure to music as a listener - 11 years of that being because of studying ballet (a physical art which involves listening and rhythmically responding to music on a constant basis) and the rest because of personal preference.

what exactly is "composed" or "classical" about this?

>its not a written score
any 5 year old can enter some strings into a DAW.

By this argument, anyone who has scribbled on a piece of paper is an "artist". Its just not the case. If you know any artists irl, you would know they are people who have spent their lives learning as much about art as possible - studying anatomy, perspective, form, composition, how to work with oils, how to layer a canvas so it lasts hundreds of years, etc. A real artist is a professional who is serious about learning as much about their chosen art form as possible. They are worlds apart from a layman who scribbled on a piece of paper once.

The same way popular musicians dont warrant the term "composer" even if they technically compose music. The same way someone who has never had an exhibition isn't really an artist. They are simply amateurs.

I agree. It's surprising how much she improved in such a short period of time. Basically from a nobody to someone mentioned next to Bjork, Kate Bush, etc. She has a huge talent, I hope she will continue to channel it into more great and exciting music.

>any 5 year old can enter some strings into a DAW.
Try to make a world famous piece in a DAW and then we're talking. Any 5 years old could "enter some strings into a DAW", but no none will care about those compositions. That's the difference. It matters what you do with what you have.

Bjork is actually good though. Grimes is no-one, doing nothing special. She doesn't even have 1 good album, and isn't well known at all. I've never heard her mentioned outside of Sup Forums and I talk music with musicians, producers, composers regularly. You can't claim I'm living under a rock. She just doesn't register. Nothing outstanding about her work, doesn't get people talking. I hear more about Alex G than I do about grimes, does that make him more well known?

>no none will care about those compositions
Hence why no one cares about grimes

200,000 views isn't exactly world famous. Doesn't even break the million mark, and many of these will be repeat listens.