''''''russian'''''' reusable spacecraft

>''''''russian'''''' reusable spacecraft

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-Q-Acv4qs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a bit disingenuous to credit all of the USSR's space program to Russia. Russia only made up half of the population of the USSR, and the Soviet space program employed people from all over the USSR and even some of their satellite states. Like Sergei Korolev, who engineered the early Soviet rockets and basically built the foundation for the Soyuz rockets still in use today, was Ukrainian.

Yea, I watched a really interesting documantery about the soviet space program on BBC world yesterday called "Cosmonauts" and it went into great detail on people like Sergei Korolev and how the USSR won the first part of the space race as well as the cause to why they didn't go to the moon.

wtf i hate NASA now they are a copycat

The Buran project was literally just to test the viability of reusable space shuttle. Obviously they would copy the existing one.

Didn't knew Soviets used a Shuttle too.

Buran was fucking way too expensive too.
I mean what were thinking?

Theirs has a reservoir tip.

Ukrainians are Russians, Cockhole.

Apparently your country is so great you had to emigrate to the US.

nah dude ukrainians are ukrainian.

Haven't seen you use a German proxy yet, Vlad. How's the weather in Moscow?

Soviets were well ahead of the US in terms of rocketry development largely due to a difference in doctrine on the use of ICBMs.

The US was most interested in making accurate missiles, while the Soviets were most interested in getting as big a warhead as possible into the air to make up for any inaccuracy.

Hence the reason the USSR managed to get a satellite up before us; they'd focused on getting as heavy a load as possible into the air from the beginning, whereas we lagged behind in the ability to launch heavy items.

I guess Norwegians are just Danes, after all, ethnicities never diverge from each other.

This is untrue, the Soviets developed a ridiculously oversized ICBM (the R-7) because their less advanced technology wasn't able to make warheads as small as American ones. It ended up being a moot point since by the time the R-7 was operational, they had smaller warheads and didn't need a missile that big.

Korolev knew from the beginning that the R-7 was too big to be a workable ICBM, but it satisfied the Soviet military's demand for one and also fulfilled his secret wish to have a large enough rocket for space launches.

>was Ukrainian
literally every great russian invention was ukrainian

>I watched a really interesting documantery about the soviet space program on BBC world yesterday called "Cosmonauts" and it went into great detail on people like Sergei Korolev and how the USSR won the first part of the space race

Easy--they had a bigger rocket with substantially more lift capacity than US launch vehicles, and also since all Soviet space launches until 1962 used R-7 variants, there was only one launch vehicle family to debug as opposed to the multitude of US launchers.

All the same, the Soviet space program did not approach the reliability, management, or technical level of the US program until the mid-1970s.

They also flew a tiny Buran mockup on the Kosmos 2M booster a couple of times in the early 80s to test thermal tiles out for the program. The second mission was photographed by the Australian Air Force while being recovered from the Indian Ocean. They immediately published the pics of the vehicle for all the world to see, which led to the Soviets moving subsequent recoveries to the Black Sea.

it was better than space shuttle. it's got a masterpiece of an engine, better safety features and an engined return vehicle as opposed to shuttle's orbiter vehicle, which is little more than a glider.

The Kosmos 3M was derived from the R-14 IRBM; it was converted for space launches in 1966 and launched light payloads from Plesetsk and Kapustin Yar until being retired in 2010. It was the source of a bit of Cold War drama when a launch of a military payload in 1983 failed 84 seconds into flight when the first stage engine shut down. US-Soviet relations were extremely tense at this time, and military chiefs informed Yuri Andropov that the US had shot down the rocket. However, some guy who'd been ice fishing near the Plesetsk launch center went to police and reported that he had seen the rocket crash into the Northern Dvina River. A quick examination of telemetry data found that the first stage had lost thrust due to combustion instability, which had been a recurring problem on its RD-216 engine. The engine was redesigned and this problem never happened again.

>'s got a masterpiece of an engine
Buran had no main engines, it relied completely on the Energia launcher to get into space.
>better safety features
Not really because a fully operational, man-rated model was never flown.

>It's a bit disingenuous to credit all of the USSR's space program to Russia.
But it's quite convenient to blame or mention only Russia for every bad thing, but when it's about some good things then suddenly it's not just Russians, but everyone's success.

They tested the vehicle but never used it to bring cosmonauts into space.

The soviet space program did a lot of cool stuff no one seems to remember though, like landing on the surface of Venus (quite a few times) and capturing pictures, a feat no other country has accomplished so far. Pic related.

I opened this thread to post exactly this. Thanks for taking care of it.

They flew Buran once before the collapse of the USSR put an end to the program.

As for Venera, NASA never bothered with Venus landers since it was deemed to be not worth it to get back a couple of pics before the probe was destroyed by the extreme temperatures and air pressure.

>They flew Buran once before the collapse of the USSR
But only as a test flight, like I said, with no cosmonauts on board. They unmanned landing system they used for that flight is something of an achievement in and of itself though, I guess.

>NASA never bothered with Venus landers since it was deemed to be not worth
True, NASA's Viking landers on Mars were achieving a much better ratio of science to dollars at the same time the USSR was blowing their wad on Venus probes that all melted within about 10 minutes, but they have flirted with the idea of going back to Venus several times. Just a few weeks ago they picked their next round of Discovery-class missions. Two of the proposals on the shortlist involved Venus but neither was selected (instead they will visit a very interesting all-metal asteroid in one mission and a series of unexplored asteroids leading and trailing Jupiter's orbit in another).

ukraine

I actually agree with you on that. I get annoyed when eastern Europeans had no part in helping communists come to power in their countries and blame it all on Russia.

>""""""""""""american"""""""""""""" rockets

4 of the 5 spaceplanes that have ever gone to space are Americans.

That one other spaceplane was the soviet "Buran", which had its first flight SEVEN years after the first space shuttle flew.

Drawings and shit are nice, but you can't take credit for an idea without making it a reality.

You were saying?

>rockets

lmao.

Soon.

Ukrainians and Belarussians were always part of the Russian empire and always worked with Russians, they're Russians basically.

Nobody has been to the moon yet

>Ukrainian
>literally a nationality and language made by Soviets

>NASA's Viking landers on Mars were achieving a much better ratio of science to dollars at the same time the USSR was blowing their wad on Venus probes that all melted within about 10 minutes
Not like they had any luck with Mars anyway.

Yeah, and dozens of old folk tales, songs, myths and other stuff in ukrainian were made by Austro-Hungarians.
This is the world pidorashkas live in.

The Venera program was more of an engineering feat than a scientific feat.

>state harmless fact that mentions Ukrainians exist
>Russians, Poles, and Sup Forumstards from the west get butthurt about it

>open "nationality folk fairy tales" book
>every story is literally copy of the other one only with different names and food
Keep believing everything, goy.

Mykola, why did you leave Ukraine? Don't you think it is unfair to live in US while your brothers die in poverty and civil war?

I don't have a drop of Ukrainian ancestry desu. It's just funny how the existence of a nation triggers so many people.

AFAIK, this little thing is presented at Monino Air Force Museum.

M8, that's how human cultures spread out. All Indo Europeans used to have similar pagan religions and mythologies that diverged over time. The same is true of other language groups. Sometimes an ethnic group just splits up and evolves into multiple because of geographic or other reasons. Ukrainians and Russians split from each other not that long ago, it doesn't make either ethnic identity less legitimate.

Weren't Ukraine's borders randomly scribbled on a map by Lenin while drunk?

Yes, after the CIA paid him off as a way to oppress the noble Russian people.

There's two of them on display. One of them was the vehicle used in the first test flight (a suborbital lob in 1980), the other I don't know if it was actually flown. They flew five of the spaceplanes total, the third was the one photographed by the RAAF, and the last one sank in the Black Sea and was not recovered.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-Q-Acv4qs

soyuz stronk

>Soon.

you've been saying it for a while now

Fucking Sherlock Holmes has entered the thread.

weak bait

>ukraine
No such thing.

We fell for your shitty "invest in eastern Poland" meme, the least you can do is show your appreciation by not hating our other favorite nation in Europe.

t. Mykola Jebiewdenko

You hear that sound? It's the sound of 190,000 jobs leaving Poland and going to Ukraine.

Finally your family will have something to eat.

OK that was pretty good.

Americans probe Mars
Russians probe Venus

kek. no

>tfw when we will beat the Australians to space

>american "reusable" spacecraft

Isn't it
>bad things are never Russian
>good things are always Russian

how much money did the slavshits lose on that?

Believe Russians, they never ever lie.

Welp I better get on the phone to the ESA, BAE Systems and the British government to tell them to stop funding the engine.

Every Russian region has own folk tales, songs, myths and other stuff but it doesn't make them separate nations.

And for some reason most of them are Autonomous Regions and those that aren't are republics
>inb4 that doesn't mean shit in Russia
I know, just trying to make a point.

yep. saves money.

did they copy it or did they somehow steal the plans?