/jazz/

What are you listening to and what do you think of it?

guides:
imgur.com/a/vGtuD

resource:
>History of Jazz: pastebin.com/megRCyA7
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

releases and reviews:
downbeat.com/reviews/list/cat/jazz
allaboutjazz.com/
npr.org/music/genres/jazz/
rateyourmusic.com/~jazzthreadguy

radio
accuradio.com/jazz/

yt:
youtube.com/user/jazznbluesexperience
youtube.com/user/JavaJazzFest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-CQrcIRgdP4
peterevansmusic.bandcamp.com/album/zebulon
youtu.be/neibvJHm55Y
youtu.be/vEkzfEwRh-I
youtube.com/watch?v=kk0WRHV_vt8
youtube.com/watch?v=HkjcLU38A6E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's the best jazz album of the 2000's?
What's the best jazz album of the 2010's?

>What are you listening to and what do you think of it?

Otomo Yoshide's New Jazz Orchestra - Out to Lunch!

It's pretty good, crazy and energetic reimagining of Eric Dolphy's classic of the same name. Much more free and wild than Eric Dolphy's but misses the emotion and sound of the original Out ot Lunch. However, I absolutely love Yoshide's version of Gazzelloni. The raw energy delivered from the Brass instruments, Drums and Yoshide's intense Guitar playing (along with Sachiko M's input with EAI elements and Mats Gustafsson's always profound Saxophone) is something to admire and creates a very weighty and esoteric sound, yet is suprisingly accessible and easy to listen to - especially fans of Free Jazz.

I would recommend it if your a fan of the more Free Jazz, especially Jazz that mixes in Noise elements.

I like this infograph better

Can you recommend some more bands that incorporate noise elements into their sound? I know that Peter Brötzmann worked with a noise rock band. Are any of those collaborations worth checking out?
Here's my recommendation for accessible free jazz combined with Hindustani classical music.

>2000s
youtube.com/watch?v=-CQrcIRgdP4
>2010s
peterevansmusic.bandcamp.com/album/zebulon

How do you justify the Brotzmann/McPhee album as being the best in the 2000's? Sounds like very generic free jazz to me?

people on Sup Forums love to flip their shit over generic free jazz

>rym-core

What's your favorite Monk album?
Pic related for me.

Alone in San Francisco

bump

Dave Ballou > Peter Evans

Any good modern gypsy jazz players besides Joscho Stephan?

I wanted something bluesy so I got something bluesy.
This a pretty cool record. Grant is amazing as usual and it's cool to hear him in what is basically (with his style of playing) a chordless group. In my experience, he usually falls into the BB King school of "guitars are for melody, not harmony" and he spends most of his time single note soloing, there's some class chord work in the heads with little bits in the soloing and some actual comping! I feel like Grant didn't comp enough, considering he was basically the blue note house guitarist. He wasn't bad at it either! His playing under Tucker on Green with Envy is some of his best on the album.

Di Gyan Go - Rine Hard

Did you make this?

been listening to a lot of sonny rollins a la the bridge and standard sonny rollins and sonny meets hawk. also late trane, stellar regions, live in japan, and david s ware, go see the world, live in the world. pic related too

not mcphee poster but just wanted to say thats a good album, definitely not the bets of the 2000s tho. it is about a 7.5, aka a generic free jazz album.

live in italy. has to be rouse, orr, dunlop.

What do you think is the best of the 2000's?

I did, anything you think I should change?

The design is nice but I'd choose mode for joe or inner urge for Joe Henderson records

oh god man i dont know, i have a few favorites, paul motian live at the village vangaurd vol. 1-3, anything by masabumi kikuchi really, and stuff like that but id what the best mainstream release was.

adding on to the list, matthew shipp pastoral composure, vietnam: reflections by billy bang. again this is just kinda my favorite shit from the decade. other dimensions in music time is of the essence is beyond time. most of these are kinda free kinda not.

Thanks, I had a hard time choosing a record for Joe Henderson. Personally for me Our Thing is my favourite of his. But that doesn't mean I don't like Mode for Joe or Inner Urge.

>other dimensions in music time is of the essence is beyond time
wat

Rosenberg Trio. I saw Stochelo Rosenberg live - he's really something else. His guitar just sings. If you have the chance to see him live, go for it.
youtu.be/neibvJHm55Y

youtu.be/vEkzfEwRh-I

Other Dimensions in Music- Time is of the Essence is Beyond Time

its a record with william parker, matt shipp, roy campbell jr, rashid bakr, and daniel carter. its good, listen to it.

fuck your heeb jazz. im so sick of this modern klesmer bullshit, it all sounds terrible and the concept doesnt hold up.

Jesus what a stupid name for an album

well, listen to it. theyre fuckin out but theyre realy killin

What are you even talking about? Recommend something good then.

Maybe. I like Matt Shipp but I never really understood the hype for William Parker

Hello!
Listening to Karl Berger's Transit with Dave Holland and Ed Blackwell.
Hella groovy piano/vibraphone led bost-bop trio; upping it to mega right now because it took forever to slsk and I'll post it because it deserves to be heard.

Might do another Coltrane review after this, next up is Transition.

pat metheny bright size life, its on youtube

parkers soloing is definitely interesting but its not my favorite but he sets up a really deep groove and is good at making free stuff bounce, check out his first duo album with hamid drake

Dave Holland Quintet- Extended Play Live at Birdland
and
Alex Sipiagin- Destinations Unknown

Here it is for those interested.

It's too bad Dave Holland has stopped doing much freeish type stuff. He's an amazing soloist but most of his recent releases haven't been very good.

The dude is 70, you can't blame him too much for not having the same youthful vigour he once brought forward.

I believe he'a perfectly capable. Seems like right now he's just more interested in fusiony shit.

But imagine if he made a nice post-bop/free album with Craig Taborn, Antonio Sanchez, and Chris Potter

The upright bass is a very involved instrument, and playing fast and free requires a considerable amount of endurance and precision.
Perhaps he know his limits? I'd love to see it as well, but the human body does deteriorate with age, and he's getting quite old.

I used to play upright and I've seen him live within the past two years. He's definitely got it in him.

Nice man, I'll take your word for it then,
I would love to see him live.

What does Sup Forums think of Snarky Puppy? Kind of fusion-y. youtube.com/watch?v=kk0WRHV_vt8

Anybody else think that most current jazz is kind of ruined by technology? Jazz was way better when they just had a few mics and 1 or 2 days in the studio.

Kind of a jazz novice but I love this album (pic related). I enjoyed the mediterranean flavor that popped up in some moments on the album and I was wondering what style of jazz that would be considered or if there were more examples of this. Thanks.

They're not bad, but not my favorite either. As far as jazz artists who've had some mainstream success, they're better than certain other artists.

It's a pretty unique album but you might like The Dynamic Sound Patterns of the Rod Levitt Orchestra

Yeah I think I know what you're talking about. I think there's a lot of overproduction going on right now and I think it usually makes the music weaker.

Look into the Criss Cross label. They record everything in one session with great, minimal production. Makes for great, spontaneous conditions much like classic Blue Note stuff.

Pretty funky stuff this

2000's
youtube.com/watch?v=HkjcLU38A6E
2010's
I don't know

It's its own legacy combined with its audience and venues. It's un-survivable.

I'm not enjoying it

is this jazz?

One of my favorite albums.

>dat fourth movement of the title track

There are no movements in jazz idiot

Why not?