When you create post-rock

>when you create post-rock

Yeah, no.

It's no-wave

It's got a lot of characteristics of post rock though, wouldn't you say?

Wrong

No wave isnt a genre

more like, no wave i'm ever listening to this album again LOL

Not a genre.

OP is forgetting Faust, White Lightning, even the fucking Velvet Underground.

Not really. What bits would you say were post-rock?

I mean White Noise but whatever I just woke up

No it's minimalism

Just because it's instrumental doesn't mean it's post-rock

>no wave isn't a genre
How so? It has clear genre boundaries

I think you meant to post this picture.

>minimalism
lol, it's the exact opposite

A focus on texture and repetition over melody, song structures that gradually build to crescendos.

I wouldn't go as far as OP and say it's post rock, but I can see why someone would say that.

>song structures that gradually build to crescendos.
This didn't start happening until shitty bands like GYBE came around.

Post-rock had nothing to do with crescendos.

Not originally but now it's a pretty standard element of the genre.

no wave isn't a genre. it was a scene. almost every no wave artist sounded completely different

Where did this "no wave is a genre" thing come from

This.

No wave as an 80s rock moviment. No wave bands palyed mainly fucked up jazz and/or noise rock

>no wave musicians instead experimented with noise, dissonance and atonality in addition to a variety of non-rock genres, often reflecting an abrasive, confrontational and nihilistic worldview.
From the no-wave artists I know, I see an underlying theme. Mainly atonality and dissonance. Noise isn't really a defining quality of no-wave

Fucking Pavement is atonal and dissonant

There's a reason no wave isn't used to describe bands anymore.

And that's because it isn't a genre.

I unironically agree. It's definitely more "Post-Rock" than Spiderland. But, most of Sup Forums will sperge about it (as they already are).

I think there's a clear atmospheric difference between no-wave artists and pavement

Define "genre"

Dude what are you even arguing?

No wave is specifically a 1970s downtown New York art scene. No wave wasn't even limited to music.

What are you talking about. There's nothing in common with James Chance and early Swans or Sonic Youth.

it's proto post-rock

You know how reddit tier the opinion is when The Ascension was posted instead of Lesson No. 1.

I'd agree that sonic youth and swans apart from the sonic youth ep isn't no-wave but I might be just picking and choosing what I think is no-wave rather than looking at what others call no-wave

It's definitely debatable
I remember the genre page for this album on RYM has been discussing this for years

you don't know what minimalism means.

I would say there is. They are all abrasive and deny the conventional norms. Kinda like punk, but to the extreme. Ramones and The Clash don't sound alike at all, and yet people don't have problems bundling them all together under the label of punk.

The only reason people prefer ascension is because of the cover

No Wave was a scene that lasted 6 months and only had like 8 bands.

experimental post-punk

>Post-rock is a form of experimental rock[1] characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock. Post-rock bands are often instrumental.

>the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock
check

>using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock
check

>often instrumental
check

If this record isn't post-rock then fucking Mogwai isn't post-rock either

post-rock isn't the best defined genre in the world. I've been thinking about what is the best way to approach it, but even then it's debatable.

Yup, exactly. I don't know why it triggers Sup Forums so much to admit this.

Largely because it wasn't a real genre until everyone started making crescendo core

The problem is people often associate post-rock with the crescendocore sound. Also, The Ascension (and Glenn Branca) draws heavily from other sources like minimal music and drone

I'm aware of the Ascension's influences, and yes it is a shame that people associate post-rock with crescendos, but oh well. I would say the only way to get people to change their mind about it is to show them different things and try to get them into the genre as a whole

I'm sorry I triggered you Sup Forums, but this album really is post-rock

>"The Spectacular Commodity" is precision defined, the massive guitars gleaming like metal and glass towers in a grand opening movement, its bass menacing the very foundations with a low rumble. The manic speed of the piece increases to white-hot levels of crashing, cacophonous overtone; from these bloodied guitar strings and twisted metal carnage you can discern not just the euphoric guitar bliss of everyone from Sonic Youth to My Bloody Valentine, but also the mighty crescendos of Sigur Rós, Mogwai, Black Dice, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, or whomever, here executed with a plasma-like energy and melodic/harmonic structure still light-years beyond the forenamed.

> However, those who forge on through the discordant twelve-minute epic that is The Spectacular Commodity will be rewarded by some of the craziest riffing in history, as well as a key change so beautiful it demands myriad rewindings. The most incredible aspect of this is how utterly Godspeed You! Black Emperor the song is, both in structure and sound - and this was released sixteen years before the post-rock titans dropped their seminal LP F# A# Infinity.