Trying to play piano

Help me anons,
I can't fucking play this shit.
I'm trying so self teach myself piano but I'm having a hard time with this song (Mary- Supergrass).

Can anyone give me the correct order of the notes? I'm not sure if I'm supposed to read from left to right or downwards.

Here's the link to the video of pic related: youtube.com/watch?v=P2wIM12NESA&ab_channel=unrest655321

it looks like at first glance that you play, for the right hand, the notes from bottom to top. so for that first chord, your right hand should play Ab, C, Eb from left to right

Is it just me or is it really overcomplex? Couldn't they have done it in a less complicated way?

Kind of hard to read music on that format. Watch his hands instead or find sheet music.

if you don't really have any experience with piano or playing music at all, i'd suggest learning how to play all of the major chords and then start trying to learn song. because once you learn major chords, beginner songs will start to come naturally

why don't you just learn to play by ear

I've searched all over the internet and "Mary" by Supergrass on piano is really hard to find, there are only guitar tabs online.

Yeah, I'm trying that, but sometimes I can't find the right notes.

That takes years to be good at, it's not something you just do.

Can anyone decypher the notes please?

The notes are in the video. Play left to right in order; so A in the left hand, then A flat, C and E flat as a chord on the right. Easy :)

It takes a lot longer to learn to read music than it does to develop your ear

Depends on how well your want to do them. But the skills complement each other.

Wtf
I disagree; learning to play complex chords by ear is a lot harder than learning to read sheet music

Depends on what you listen to. If you mostly listen to pop music, then you'll only mostly be learning to hear powechords, triads, sus4, sus2, and 7th chords.

If you mostly listen to jazz, then you would probably learn to hear 9th chords, diminished, augmented, flat 5, 6th chords, etc.

I'll disagree wholeheartedly that learning to read sheet music is easier. Plus learning to read sheet music and sight read effectively are different skills entirely. PLUS you can spend years learning to be good at sheet music and not have the slightest ability to jam with other players, play improvisationally, understand music theory and grasp the emotional content behind all the different intervals, chord changes, time signatures, and melodic phrases. Your only learning to copy and paste what someone else has written so how could you possibly understand how to compose and develop your own ideas.

I'll guess we'll agree to disagree.

When do I know when its a chord and not a single note?

When the notes are lined up vertically
Eflat
C
Aflat

OK, so that would be Aflat as a chord, then C as a chord and then Eflat as a chord right?

The chord consists of Aflat, C, and Eflat
So play those three notes together at the same time to make the chord. It's only one chord, not three separate chords

OK got it! Thank you man, really apreciate it. Hopefully I'll be playing piano like a pro in the near future ahah

no problem man :)

Last question, those notes that look small in the picture (seperated by ","). How are those meant to be played?

You play them individually, one by one. So for the second chord (Eflat, C, A), you would play the chord as normal, then play the smaller notes after (F, Eflat, D). Watch along in the video and you will see how he does it.

And what about that big "F", it that played as a chord? My guess is leaning on the no because it's big but i really don't know

No, it's played as a single note. It's only a chord when the notes are lined up vertically. The size of the letter is sorta unimportant; he could've just kept the letters all the same size and it would still make sense.

All right, I can't thank you enough for the help, thanks again for everything!
What do you think of the Rhodes piano? I really like its sound!

Your welcome man; piano is a lot fun. And don't get discouraged by all the people who say you have to learn it when you are 4 years old

The Rhodes sounds pretty cool; you might already know this but if you want to hear more of it you can listen to Everything in Its Right Place by Radiohead or Bitches Brew

Yeah, I am a big fan of Radiohead myself, they some really good music imo.
Not to sound annoying, but do you have any way I can contact you? You sound like someone that really has some experience and maybe we could talk a bit more after this thread is done. Feel free to refuse, it's just that you seem like someone that really knows his stuff.

Do you have, dare I say, a reddit account? I can message you there if you want

lol are you guys gonna fuck? haha so gay i woudlnt even join in if you asked me?! hehehe

reddit? GTFO REDDIT FAG

jk yeah I do have a reddit, its "user/Lowd0n/" hit me up

Sent :)

sent you an answer