Why or why not should a 10mm glock 20 be my first gun Sup Forums

why or why not should a 10mm glock 20 be my first gun Sup Forums

not to kill myself with of course

Other urls found in this thread:

classicfirearms.com/beretta-9mm-semi-auto-surplus-g-vg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

10mm is a niche calibre. Sure you don't want something cheaper?

Glocks are for fucking pussies

Definitely not a caliber you should be thinking about for your first firearm. To be honest, if you've never fired a gun before, I'd recommend a .22 LR pistol or rifle just so you can learn basic targeting and form. If you're hellbent on defense caliber, I'd recommend a 9mm or a .380 to start with because there's a BIG difference between those and a 10mm. If you've never fired a handgun before, there's a chance with a 10mm that you could hurt yourself and/or hurt someone else. Also the only real reason you'd want a 10mm MOS Glock is if you're going to be hunting with it and/or defending yourself in the bush against bear/moose/big game.

First of of this. Second of all how many pistols have you shot? If less than 3 manufactures, how do you know this is the firearm you want to have? They all fit, feel, and shoot differently.

My initial response will be you should not buy that as your first gun because if you have to ask, you aren't ready.

Just how expensive is the ammo? I don't mind paying around $500 for the gun it self, but if the ammo is really THAT much of a pocket burn then eh.

I don't have sissy hands though I doubt I would fuck up that bad with a 10

Can you recommend a good starting pistol with cheap ammo then? One day I would like to own a glock 20, 10mm is just such a tantalizing caliber

I personally love Glocks, too. Especially for a first pistol. They are easy to clean, easy to disassemble, and easy to learn on. They do not have any manual safety of any kind and can be a bit iffy for carrying with a round in chamber (even though I carry with a round in my 43 when I do carry it concealed) I highly recommend Glocks. They also won't break your bank as much as an HK, let alone a SIG.

>.22 LR pistol
Any suggestions?

Because you're more likely to kill yourself with a gun than saw your own throat out with a knife

9mm is going to be the cheapest and the most prevalent in terms of defense caliber. You can't beat the bulk prices. Although right now with .40 S&W being phased out, you can find some great deals on .40 cal pistols and ammo.

10mm ammo is way more expensive than 9mm.

but you probably will never shoot it anyway so who cares?

I would advice S&W Shield. Or if you have a few $$$ check out the Springfield XD line. I personally own, and love my XDMod2. Kinda sucks as a ccw but amazing to shoot, and intimidating in a holster. I'm saving up for an XDS for my ccw.

Absolutely. You CANNOT go wrong with a Walther P22. That pistol will always remain one of my favorite pistols I've ever owned. I own two of them haha. Also the Ruger 22/45 and Mark III are great pistols as well but I'm thinking you'll like the feel and look of the Walther more.

whatever you think looks cool. its a .22, not going to be doing anything mission critical so who cares?

fuck .22 though id get a 9mm.

what is the point of buying a gun besides hunting?

>I would advice S&W Shield

I carry shield on ankle and full size on hip. love em. I'd prefer to not get glock leg.

dont get a shield i have one, they suck. dont get a sub compact it would be a horrific first gun, get a full size or if you have small hands maybe a compact.

small guns are much harder to shoot well / learn to shoot well.

seriously shit advice here.

I'd recommend the Springfield XD line over the M&P S&Ws. I have not had great experiences with them but to each their own.

What is 'glock leg' user?

Social work. And shooting is fun

You've obviously never been to a shooting range lol shits fun bro

I agree completely with this statement. Haha I hate the M&P series shields.

glocks have no safety, so people sometimes shoot themselves in the legs holstering them.

OP if you are for real you need to ask on /k/ not fucking Sup Forums.
seriously what are you doing nigger

Self defense
Fun
Suicide
Robbing
etc

Rugar Mark 3 is a great pistol but a motherfucker to get back together after cleaning. Great gun with great balance with the bull barrel. I love mine to death.

Okay I might be out of the loop with guns and ammo but 40 being phased out? I'm going to do my research before I call bullshit. Also OP the 40 cal is 10mm shortened because 10 mm was too powerful for weak fuckers.

never shot a gun in my life and im 21. what does it feel like?

Glock leg I believe is referring to the fact that most Glocks (other than the 42 and 43) are double stack pistols built like bricks. I love em. But they are not easily concealable even in the sub compact range with the 26/27 etc.

shield ankle guy here. I generally carry the shield as a backup or to arm someone else with. You're right though, they are harder to shoot.

I would take it.

It looks cool and isn't obnoxiously unneccesary like an AR-15.

>buy .22 pistol because "its a good first gun" meme
>should have just bought a 9mm instead

Seriously, fuck whoever tells you to get a fucking .22 first.

that too.

because they are legal and I want them.

What sucks about your shield? I use to do assembly in Springfield (MA) at S&W. Generally speaking the only reason I don't own it because it doesn't feel very comfortable in my hand. Other than that it fires fine, easy to clean and dis+ass, and the test pistols get 10,000 rounds ran through them in succession. Not to mention S&W's best selling product.

>what does it feel like?
There's recoil. And it's loud. But fun when you hit things

Go to a range and rent some and shoot them

You should cause you never know when a bear is gonna sneak into your bedroom at night

You sound like someone with a small penis. No offense. I can do some serious damage with my .22 pistols. Quiet as hell and just as accurate.

feels like shooting a gun.

go to your local range and rent a gun.

she's going to cook that barrel

Uh, idk I mean it's not like you're missing out on a LOT, but shooting an AR-15 (because they're easy to shoot) or just a random side arm is something you should try at least once. Going to a shooting range and renting a gun isn't much money, could have a few hours of fun for nothing (depending on how much ammo you get) plus taking friends/chicks makes the experience even more fun.

>lives in canada
>way up north
no guns i know of in 400km range

You feel powerful. I've never felt more powerful and in control than when firing my 12 gauge

Plus they're cheaper to buy and operate. If you want to punch holes in paper or beer cans a 22 is great

I love my ARs. Daniel Defense baby.

it sucks compared to any decent full sized gun. it's fine for CCW.
OP didn't ask for a good sub compact he asked for a first gun, getting a sub compact as your first gun is fucking stupid. i mean super fucking stupid.

i can put 10 in a dime at 10 yards with my PPQ, I can't do that at 5 years with my shield. the gun sucks for anything but CCW.

cmon people, think

How do you live in the wilderness and not have a rifle or something?

exactly. I love my .22s. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and they're just plain fun. Completely agree.

What is your #1 first pistol choice?

Glock 19

>its a .22, not going to be doing anything mission critical
.22 has a 40% 1 shot stop rate, user
and you can magdump it like a wild chimp with the accuracy of nine-thousand times folded nippon steel

Don't glocks have a weird problem where the more you shoot them, the more the shells eject more towards your face

Between my .22 pistol and .22 bolt action there isn't much I can't fuck with while plinking. Of course the rugar 10/22 with the 30 rounder is fun but takes forever to load the mag

That or a used surplus Beretta 92. Which can be acquired even cheaper than the Glock 19 and will literally hammer nails for years and years with good upkeep.

>glock leg
>you mean 1911 leg

still doesnt mean glocks arent shit though

im the guy your replying to and it would be my PPQ.

yeah but would you rather be defending yourself with a 9mm or a .22?
IMO 9mm recoil isn't enough to deter someone just because they have never shot before.

No

Ahhh I love my Ruger 10/22. Although I'm partial to my good ol bolt action Savage Mark II though. I LOVE that rifle.

>walter PPQ
>glock 19
>baretta 92

Which one is it?

but seriously OP, ask on /k/, where informed people will be replying to your thread.

>why or why not should a 10mm glock 20 be my first gun Sup Forums

>Why

10mm is a potent round and the Glock 20 is one of the few doublestack 10mms still on the market.

>Why not

1: 10mm is a relatively expensive and hard to find pistol round so its not good to learn to shoot with.
2: 10mm has a pretty good amount of recoil so its not good to learn to shoot with.
3: Glocks are ugly as sin and they have mushy triggers.

I suggest you get yourself a fullsize 9mm instead, the ammo is cheaper, has less recoil and is plenty powerful for home defense.

H&K master race...... that's why

I have a tasco 42mm 4 power on my mark 2. Are we twins?

CZ 75

All are pretty decent choices.

I actually have a Glock 20, let me break this shit down.

Pros-

For all the epic le maymays on the internet about every gun company on Earth Glock actually does make a reliable firearm.

10mm if properly loaded (a lot of what you'll find in the stores isn't fully as powerful as it could be) is a goddamn cannon, equal in energy delivery to .357 Magnum. With Buffalo Bore hard cast rounds I don't fear any North American animal while innawoods.

The Glock 20 actually headspaces off the extractor. What that means is it can load and fire .40 S&W totally stock. The round is fully supported and will fit and feed out of stock 10mm magazines. I have done this for hundreds and hundreds of rounds, and it will eat dirty Tula steel case just like anything else.

Cons-

10mm is EXPENSIVE. For a box of cheap brass case 9mm you are looking at like 15 bucks for 50. You are looking at $35 for the cheapest reloaded brass case for 50 10mm cartridges. Defensive loads surpass a dollar a round for 10mm.

.40 S&W is pretty cheap right now, cheaper than .45 ACP in most cases. That's good FOR NOW. However, look at any used gun case and you will see 2 times or 3 times as many 40 S&W firearms in there than 9mm. I fear the 40 S&W memetrain will lose steam and you'll be stuck with a gun that can fire two expensive rounds.

The 20 is pretty heavy and pretty big. Just something to consider.

Of you wanted my recommendation lf a first handgun, get a 9mm unless you like to hike DEEP into the backwoods, like Rocky Mountain, Alaska shit.

To be perfectly honest, I like my 20, but I kind of regret the purchase.

The most fun I've ever had was firing a black powder .44 colt navy
For concealed carry or open carry I love me a Ruger .45

PPQ is objectively better than the glock, if only for the trigger (but also the grip).
the Beretta will be a lot heavier but probably stand up to more abuse.
I like PPQ more than 92, having shot both.

I would definitely rather have a .22 than a 9mm. you could have at least said .45 or some shitty hip round like 10mm or .40

thanks everyone

yes I know about /k/ I've been there but the more specialized boards can be cancer sometimes so that's why I decided to come here

I'm gonna look into the PPQ and other suggestions seen here

What kind of stupid question is this? A gun is for killing and destroying things. What kind of cuck would limit his potential to kill and destroy by not owning a weapon? If there comes a time when you need to kill and you don't have adequate gear on hand to do it, you're going to feel pretty stupid for not having bought a weapon, and by then it will probably be too late to stop being such a faggot.

That is the one thing I can say that trumps almost everything in terms of a first gun is that the 92 can and will hold up to some serious abuse. Especially for someone who's just learning how to properly clean and maintain a firearm. ...it is a heavy son of a bitch though.

I disagree, the 10mm is excellent for personal defense, not just a bear or moose (you cannot kill one reliably with a 10mm, don't know where you get that).
First time shooter - yes to the .22... for about a month. Then upgrade to what you'll be using. Borrow a friend's .22, go to a range and learn on one and then come back to the range with your 10mm.
Don't buy a Glock. Those things suck and are totally overhyped. There's better in the world. Go to a good range and rent a few, get a feel for it before you buy anything.

PPQ guy here, the H&K VP9 is also a good choice.
glocks are fine IMO and they are like $200 cheaper.
PPQ trigger is top notch but I get similar groups with a glock.

Of the guns in that list, I'd recommend the Beretta 92. Its big so its got minimal recoil, its easy to disassemble and maintain, its got a good trigger and its purty.

Really though you need to go to a gun store and handle a few of them to see how some of the various guns on that list fit in your hand. One gun does not fit all.

Another option to consider for first time pistol and for good home defense is a 357 revolver. I'm going to catch some shit from everyone but a double action 357 with a 6" barrel will shoot .38 specials will low recoil. And being double action you never need to worry about misfires or jams. Just squeeze the trigger again and she should go boom

Nobody is a badass with a face full of .22 . They're incredibly prevalent and dirt cheap, excellent for first time shooters and even long time pros.
It MATTERS what kind you get. You can't learn to shoot if you fire an uncomfortable piece of crap that misfires all the time.

I agree with this having owned the PPQ as well as being a big Glock guy. You can't go wrong with a 92.

That is a very sexy pistol I'll admit

Yeah my next step is going to a gun store. Hopefully they'll have some good models there

if you can shoot before you buy, do it, even if you gotta pay to rent and use the range.

classicfirearms.com/beretta-9mm-semi-auto-surplus-g-vg

there ya go. 319 bucks surplus 92s. Can't go wrong with classicfirearms.com either. They are utterly amazing to buy from and deal with. Some of the best.

Just don't eat the brownies if you go shooting with anyone from /k/

Can these surplus 92's really be trusted? "If it's too good to be true" comes to mind. How much would a new one cost?

Ayy! I bet you'd kill me with one shot after the magic bullet bounces around in my head
Fuck outta here little nigger boy, I'll put on 10mm in your chest and watch your ass drop while your 22 bounces off of me if I'm wearing more than 3 layers of clothing

Reminds me of that comic of the stick man shooting different calibers, he shoots from 9 up to 10 and the 10 blows the guy in half and the guy walks away from a 9 kek

if you plan in shooting a lot id get a new gun. these might have thousands of rounds through them, if you plan on putting though many thousands more though you'll burn the barrel out.

I'd just put 5 or 6 in your face as you miss your first shot and have to take over a second to regain yourself from the recoil.

I agree with this guy. choose from his pic related and you cant lose. However, I would recommend that whatever gun you got in 9mm, you should get that model in 40sw later on. 40 is a meme caliber, sure, but it's basically 10mm, just slightly cheaper and slower. Think of it as the 38spl to the 357 magnum.

then, someday you get a delta elite or something in best mm, that isnt a glock.

+1

Stupid shit.

Underrated post

So it seems to me like buying a 10mm is like buying a ferrari as a first car. You could be the 1% that doesn't crash it but it's not worth it to take that chance, so it's better to just buy a 90's japanese shitbox first.

First time pistol.. and you're recommending a goddamn .357 revolver?!

"Here wife, just point and pull the trigger. Don't mind your broken wrist and you'd better aim right before the barrel is implanted in your forehead or you're be raped with a broken wrist and a dented face. Love, hubby."

(eyeroll)

Or get a .22 with high velocity rounds and empty the mag - the whole thing - into the intruder in < 3 seconds and go back to bed, cleaning up his dumb carcass in the morning.

You're right, you're going to catch some shit, that's just dumb.

You're thinking about my cock. Easy mistake, glock is similar sounding.

but user, he said .38 special

If I was a frail little bitch
I'm sure you've been shot at before and could totally light my face up and keep your cool.
Damn son I didn't know I was talking to John Wick.
Keep being a little retard carrying your 22, if you ever have to use it you'll remember me right before Jamal hovers above you with his "glak foddy problah solva". You'll be laying there about to die over the $50 allowance your mom gave you, and you'll think "fuck I should have carried a real round and not this meme fuddlore shit"

I guess you didn't read the part about will shoot .38s will low recoil did you?

Yep.

.22 is the choice of professional assassins you fucking retard.

>fuddlore

KEK

10mm is expensive ammo. Get a g17 or g19 to learn to shoot, much more economical. 9mm is going to over penetrate less as well, and modern 9mm projectiles are perfectly capable for stopping threats. 10 is also much slower for getting in follow up shots. Remember that precision kills men, not power.

this and god forbid you have to shoot though glass or a wall/door or longer ranges, your just fucked in that case.
.22 is trash at everything but knocking cans off a fence post.