There is no reason why gladiatorial fights to the death shouldn't be in the olympics. seriously...

there is no reason why gladiatorial fights to the death shouldn't be in the olympics. seriously, it will draw millions of viewers, millions. it will btfo swimming and sprinting combined.

>to the death
No stat padding, would never be allowed by the US

Americans would be scared of being called out as international pussies for declining desu

If it was to the death, how would you award silver and bronze?

I disagree, although I think armoured combat and Jousting should be Olympic events if crap like ping pong and handball is

You win or you lose. There's nothing else.

Posthumously awarded to them, Espain.

>this obsession
kek without fail, every thread
i'd expect it from binzil, but cmon britain, you're in second now right?

in their hypothetical defense, the meltdown that would occur if they sent a team of (presumably) mostly black guys, some of whom died, would be cataclysmic

Pankration in the ancient Olympics was probably the closest. It was kind of like MMA.

That would instantly be my favorite event.

Gladiatorial combats were very rarely to the death. Gladiators were precious, expensive commodities that were not only valued by their owner/lanista, but also by the cities where they were trained.

Most matches were decided by first blood or disarmament. Sine missione was extremely uncommon.

>Fight to death

that would have been the BEST SHIT EVER to watch
bit cruel but suspensful as all hell

Jousting
Horse Archery
Deadlift

All fit the Olympic theme

Gladiator style bouts would be awesome but obviously boundaries need to happen,
>Gladiators can submit
>No nets (OP)
>No ranged weapons in singles combat as you could just lob a javelin and win a gold with luck
>team style with chariots and single horse and troop
>weaponry restricted to Roman or Greek era
>armour optional

Came here to post this

Sounds good in theory and I know its silly to think people here would empathize but that would be a little too real watching your countryman die in competition. Cool as it sounds like fight would be better than the death...since were all dying anyway why rush it

>no hand and half swords
Cmon m80 that should be allowed... What about the nips shouldn't they be able to use their samurais?

I dunno you're gonna get every country trying to force their own weapons then and some might be more OP, samurai swords I feel are a no go as you're gonna get people trying to push them samurai bows and throwing stars and other ninja crap

Of course people would watch it. I'd like it if gladiators were able to yield tho. To the death is not necessary.

Enough crazy fucks out there today that would actually do it.

>samurais

They're cool for movies, nothing else. Grow up.

>UK turns up with a claymore
>opponent goes into coma
sounds like it could be fun desu

Poland turns up with full knight hussars
England rocks up with claymore and longbows
Some poor Spanish bloke is there with a trident and a weeb with dual katanas

Gladiator fights usually weren't to the death, actually.

My fratrer of Numidian descent

how? please teach me

Exactly. Roman promoters spent large sums of money training their fighters. As long as they put on a good show it was rare they died. Only a small % of fights went all the way to the death at major tournaments.

Gladiators cost tons of money to train. It wouldn't be feasible to have them die

So surprising that people don't realize this. You can't put that much money into a prize fighter and just send them out to die, no manager could sustain that kind of overhead.

WWE WILL BE OLYMPICA SPORT NEXT YEAR

This is bullshit. Most gladiators were slaves and/or prisoners of war.

we would need slaves for that, also,

>train whole life
>go to the arena to kill/be killed

no one sane would do that, also loss of good human material, olympic games should resemble the apex of human physic and spirit and not get rid of it

but they were using dangerous weapons, they fookin point of the game was to kill your opponent...

The winner wouldn't be killed. And they would be alive to be the apex of human spirit.

Was pretty rare that people would die in gladiator fight

Learn to hisotrycunt

>the winner wouldn't be killed
what they will use plastic weapons then?

slaves arent the same thing that your (((hollywood))) movies make them out to be

Spoken like a true moron. Its been proven by historical research that even though they may have been slaves(not all gladiators were btw), they were sports heroes and reveared by the veiwing public. They made their promoters money and prestiege. To just kill one for the hell of it was financially stupid if nothing else. You watch too many shitty hollywood movies. Get educated, plebian.

No one died in ye olde fights. Swords can't get through armour.

Death in war didn't happen until WW2 and even then it was exclusively the Jews

No you fucking retard, he wouldn't be killed because he WON the fight.

autist

>well i was proven retarded
>better call him autistic for knowing basic historical facts

no, it was fought to first blood most of the time.

>handball
>crap
angry manlet detected

>gladiatorial fights
YES.

>to the death
Not happening, wouldn't be allowed by the IOC.

Jousting isn't even a thing anymore m8.

>and the crowd eagerly turns to the judges' booth, awaiting their signal...
>THE YIELD IS DECLINED! THE YIELD IS DECLINED!
>The Spanish gladiator reluctantly lifts his sword...

The more famous ones may have been treated well, but they were still required to compete under penalty of death. You didn't get to retire unless it was to a pine box.

this