Name artists more influential than The Beatles

Name artists more influential than The Beatles.

>The Louvin Brothers
>Charlie Parker
>Robert Johnson
>Charley Patton
>Chuck Berry
>Buddy Holly
>Bo Diddley
>Hank Williams
>Ravi Shankar
>Duke Ellington

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1cEwNr71S8E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tangerine dream

let's say there have been/are roughly 6,000 artists and bands, that would still put them in the top .0000000000001 percent

Holy shit lol 6,000 bands? There's at least 6500 bands

People don't say that they're in the top .0000000000001 percent of influential artists, though. They say point blank that they're the most influential act in music history.

All of this could have been avoided if people weren't so insecure they had to attach a historical context to the music they like so they can feel validated.

Can this meme end? Beatles influenced all music that came after them. TVU only influenced the alternative stuff.

>people is different genres are more influential to that genre then people in a completely different one

Can we get a translator?

Literally only Johnson, Berry and Shankar are more influential from your list.

>Louvin Brothers, Charlie Parker and Hank Williams
>not influential
We got a rockist over here.

>random jazz and blues
>more influential then The Beatles

Those are only influential to Jazz, which died a decade after they influenced it

We got another rockist over here

gucci mane
soulja boy

>let's say there have been/are roughly 6,000

6,000 bands get made and broken up everyday

more like 60,000,0000

>Scott Walker
>Suicide
>Throbbing Gristle
>David Bowie
>Sun Ra

How broad of an influence are we talking about here?

Am I allowed to cheat?

Max Martin.

The Velvet Underground
Giorgio Moroder
The Rolling Stones
Cream

>The Louvin Brothers

are they actually good or just a band with a meme album cover?

The Rolling Stones were Beatles copycats, though.

>Cream
lol

>TVU only influenced the alternative stuff.

TVU directly or indirectly influenced bands who went on to sell millions of records, like David Bowie or Nirvana, to name a few.

Some of the most genuine music you will ever hear. Vocal harmonies are beautiful.

Absolute perfection. Possibly my favourite artists of all time. Tragic Songs of Life, The Family Who Prays, Satan is Real, My Baby's Gone and Weapon of Prayer are flawless.

>Rolling Stones were Beatles copycats
You need to listen to more of both of them.

beach boys ofc

Cool, and The Beatles had an even larger influence on not just bands, but individual musicians and producers as well, having their influence transcend the rock genre.

You obviously haven't listened to Satanic Majesties then yet. Or compared Beggars banquet to the white album. Even if they aren't beatles are better, even did stone-sy songs and did them better. Also, ruby tuesday.

The Beatles influenced both David Bowie and Nirvana too, so your argument isn't very good

KISS

KYSS

>let's say there have been/are roughly 6,000 artists and bands

possible the most amusing post i've ever seen on this board and i've been here since 2010

yes but TVU's influence per capita is much greater

I can't wait to see you argue this.

there's not much to argue

99.999(etc)% of the people who have ever listened to the beatles are either not musicians or are musicians who were not influenced by them

the ratio of people who have listened to TVU and were subsequently influenced by them is much greater

The Beatles influenced literally every pop act that came after them. You can't really say the same for TVU. TVU's sphere of influence is pretty restricted to rock music and its subgenres and offshoots. The Beatles transcend genres in ways that TVU can't.

I love you

>6000

Just curious, where'd you come up with this number?

There's a lot of overlap there though. Most of the bands that were influenced by TVU were also influenced by The Beatles.

>The Beatles influenced literally every pop act that came after them.
this is what Beatles worshippers actually believe

>There's a lot of overlap there though. Most of the bands that were influenced by TVU were also influenced by The Beatles.
not sure if that's true

let's just remember that where The Beatles sold hundreds of millions of records, TVU sold a couple hundred thousand

Wouldn't lower record sales indicate less influence? If nobody has listened to their music then how can they have more influence? It's a numbers game and TVU lacks the huge numbers that The Beatles have on their side.

Thats why I said per capita

Think of how many prominent artists mention TVU as a core influence- Talking Heads, Can, The Fall, David Bowie, Brian Eno, basically every Japanese noise/psych band, The Modern Lovers, Patti Smith, Nirvana, The Sex Pistols (via John Lydon). I could keep going but you get the idea.

If we're saying per capita, we haven't even talked about The Beatles' influence on culture. They influenced fashion, they influenced film with their movies, and their famous hairstyle remains popular to this day. Their album covers are instantly recognizable by everyone and there are several references in the media to the Beatles. If you walked up to a random person on the street, there's a good chance they could name at one or multiple members of the Beatles. Do the same for TVU and most people would struggle to name even one, and many people would never even have heard of them. Show someone a picture of John Lennon and then a picture of Lou Reed. I guarantee that a vast majority will recognize Lennon but have no idea who Reed is. The Beatles have their own video game for fuck's sake. They have a Cirque Du Soleil show in Las Vegas. Yesterday is the most covered song of all time. Beatles merchandise makes millions every year.

The Beatles have more influence because they transcend music and have established themselves as major players in worldwide pop culture. You can't say the same for the Velvet Underground. At most people would recognize the banana, but that's really it.

you are attributing so many things to the band that ought to be attributed to their marketing team

you are even somehow attributing the mod haircut to them despite the fact that it was popular before they were famous

>you are attributing so many things to the band that ought to be attributed to their marketing team
They don't need the help. They're doing a great job without him

He meant 6000 artists and bands more influential not an overall estimation. Are you people retarded? Can you not understand context?

That hairstyle exploded in popularity thanks to them. Also, they didn't have a marketing team back in the 60's. They had a manager but that was about it. Everything they did influenced culture in some way. And the stuff that is coming out more recently like the video game just show that people are still interested in them and their music, and are willing to devote time and money to make projects that reflect that influence.

youtube.com/watch?v=1cEwNr71S8E

/thread

have you read the book about the louvin brothers? fucking awesome

The one by Charlie Louvin?

> you people
> retards

what do you mean by you people, faggot?

I AM 6000 BANDS

let's say the earth has been around roughly 6000 years, that would still put jesus in the top .0000000000001 percent