Warcraft discussion

indiewire.com/2016/06/warcraft-review-duncan-jones-1201683601/

>“Warcraft” is finally here, and not only does it fail to bridge the gap between movies and video games, it self-immolates and swan-dives into the void, illuminating a dark rift that’s even deeper than it is wide. A grotesque, funhouse reflection of modern blockbuster cinema, the film is truly a staggering failure, and there’s no joy to be found in its profound awfulness — an exciting young director has burned off several of his best years, a major Hollywood studio has been punished for their ambition and two disparate mediums have exposed the worst in each other.

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtymmqbEmKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Everyone knows it is shit. Move on.

What everyone knew ever since it was announced back in 2006, that it's shit.
Who gives a fuck, only delusional Blizzdrones thought this wasn't going to suck.

Shit is one thing, but the next Battlefield Earth? Well that's something else altogether.

The only thing worse than videogame movies are videogame movies that take themselves seriously.

>A grotesque, funhouse reflection of modern blockbuster cinema
Like blockbusters haven't been all spectacle for the last 30 years now

Not Disney/Marvel = objetive criticism is allowed

>battlefield earth of the 21st century
Brutal. Motherfucking brutal bants were brought.

>years of capeshit
>no one even flips an eyebrow
>one gamekino
>ZOMG WORST MOVIE OF MY LIFE HOW CAN THEY MAKE THIS GARBAGE

Pretty much this.
I'm sure it's a shit movie, but I'm willing to bet $100 it's still better than Avatar.

>decades of shitty videogame movies
>yet another one sucks
WOW

This guy really sounds like he's trying to hard.

Either way, I'm still seeing it, bad reviews and all.

This

DELETE THIS

It's actually a great film

>all these triggered Blizzcuckies

No one cares about video game movies, you can't just take the story and make some people play that on green screen. What makes games fun is actually playing them.

Good it flopped, after Assassin's Creed fail maybe they will stop making Video Game movies for good.

hire a shitty director get a shitty film. his dad isnt around to save him now.

>it self-immolates and swan-dives into the void, illuminating a dark rift that’s even deeper than it is wide
stop

I don't know what everyone hates so much about this movie.

I've seen it twice, with two different groups of friends, and I thought it was a great flick.

I haven't even met anyone who's watched it and concluded that they didn't like it.

Saw it yesterday. It is quite awful really - boring, cliched and simply incompetent as a film. The only people who enjoyed it were Warcraft fans, but they basically liked seeing their favorite characters on big screen.

That Battlefield Earth comment doesn't even work, since Battlefield Earth was in 2000.

This.
The goal-based stories of videogames just can't be adapted.

Which religion thinks Warcraft literally happened, again?

>yfw Duncan Jones unironically took this movie and showed it to his dying father as if it was something to be proud of.

David should have fucking disowned him and seeked solace from his real child.

The one invented by atheists to mock religion to their own embarrassment.

He probably thought the weird floating, lack of depth, and poorly positioned shadows would be fixed in the final product.

No it's not, there have been eight (8) movies this century that bombed worse than Battlefield earth

Warcraft bombing will be nothing new

He meant follow your dreams and you can do anything.

it's nothing about the gameplay itself. if you got a good story to tell with a great cast and basically the ingredients to make a good movie, you can pull it off. it's not some secret recipe.

>“Warcraft” is finally here, and not only does it fail to bridge the gap between movies and video games, it self-immolates and swan-dives into the void, illuminating a dark rift that’s even deeper than it is wide.

Movies based on games are bound to suck. Nothing new here.

>The only people who enjoyed it were Warcraft fans, but they basically liked seeing their favorite characters on big screen.
Mortal Kombat for a new generation, then.

>it self-immolates and swan-dives into the void, illuminating a dark rift that’s even deeper than it is wide. A grotesque, funhouse reflection of modern blockbuster cinema
He's trying a bit too hard, isn't he

>not the first post from this IP
>replies to the OP
lmao

if we rated reviews this review would bomb harder than the movie itself.

Man, the hype, the soundtrack, the ads when it came out were amazing. MORTAL KOMBAT!

I miss the 90s.

>since Battlefield Earth was in 2000.
2000 was the last year of the 20th century.

These reviewers are obviously not gamers, not fantasy fans, and not warcraft fans.

Saw the movie yesterday and it's an 8/10, 7/10 for non warcraft fans that like fantasy.

The CGI is on point, the Orcs are perfect, the Combat is awesome, Gul'dan is a badass villain and Ragnar even does a great job.

It's not like BvS where the critics were right, and I'm going back to see it again at least twice.

the same reviewer loved Neighbors 2, he's literally a cuck

Mortal Kombat is literally the best vidya movie ever made behind Street Fighter

Watched it yesterday.
I loved it.

But it needed to me much longer.
WC has too much lore for 2 hours of filme.

The pacing and character development felt very fast and rushed, but for those who already know the characters it was great.

Can't tell if trolling...

>As an avid eater of shit, this movie is awesome!

Wow, great news!

Look all right.

I don't expect it to be shit but neither do I expect it to be a cinematic masterpiece.

That reviewer sounds like a pure faggot. He uses rosy words instead of actual content and delivering any actual objective observations.

You're not trying hard enough.
What is it with these retards switching to and too all the time?

>Hollywood hates Metzen's and Neo-Blizzard's bullshit

Not a surprise, familia

Just another typical hyperbolic rview to get ad revenue. Protip: if a review spends an entire paragraph on insults without discussing the movie's content, you can disregard it.

youtube.com/watch?v=YtymmqbEmKw

>Everyone knows it is shit

you need to see it first!

>"My film started and ended with cancer" -Duncan Jones.

This explains the movie so well.

>there’s no joy
Stopped reading there.

>marvelcucks trying to take down a great movie
nothing to see here folks.

tell sleeping beauty she owes me that blowjob

>not hairjob

I think you missed the point

The only one who took down this movie is Duncan Jones.

>David Erlich
>The name Erlich is a proud symbol of the ancient Jewish Culture

Yes user, the entire world is a marvelcuck, and this cheap videogame joint is totally not trash.

>adapt to this

Sup Forums is a board of peace

Sup Forums gets BTFO, the review

Sup Forums thinks the movie is shit though
The only ones who unironically defend it are mad as fuck Blizzdrones, and those aren't welcome anywhere.

I'm glad they made a movie that appeals to no one
> Fans of the original strategy games
Why did they ignore the characters who were actually important during this era to make it more about Thrall and his family?

> Fans of the WoW
Where's Thrall and all the NPCs I know from WoW?

> Fans of generic Fantasy
Why are the supposed to be sympathetic this changes genre conventions too much without a good explanation

> Fans of Action movies
Where are the guns?

They could have done a nice Ben Hur style movie featuring Thrall's rise which would have allowed them to focus their budget more and get a tighter script as well with the option to do this as a prequel to get more backstory. Instead we get a big dumb movie that satisfies no one.
Yay executives.

*Why are the orcs supposed
how did it eat that word?

Saw the movie 2 days ago, it was shit.

Felt like they cut 40% of the movie, honestly feels like they skipped vital scenes in the edit.

Same. IDGAF

It appeals to shills.

Its actually a pretty good movie. It beats me why they have the premiere two weeks later in the US than everywhere else tho

No it's not.
Warcraft is an example of everything a flick should not be and what film-makers should avoid doing.

>shills are still trying
It's a videogame joint, there's nothing you can do to convince anyone of otherwise.
It was confirmed to be shit the moment it was announced 10 years ago.

Anyone who panders to diversity instead of trying to stick with the source material should fail

Have you watched the movie man? Im not a warcraft fan at all but it is a very powerful piece of cinema. much more brutal than any marvel movies or BvS

You should stick to watching theater plays then and not movies and tv.

>much more brutal than any marvel movies or BvS

Please dont imply that the trash actually set a standard

Duncan JUST

Its a difference to change up the script to make it fit into the movie format and having asian nightelves just because

this.

Disney isn't paying these critics off like they do for capeshit. I'm sure Warcraft sucks, but not worse than turds like Deadpool

I love seeing all the panic about a true gamekino being made. "Critics" and other plebs online don' know what to do when their, "videogame movies are all bad" meme is shattered.

Avatar was a shitty rip off of wow.

Will this be another subtle Hollywood fantasy racemixing propaganda?

Wrong retard. What separates games and movies is interaction. The feeling you get from accomplishing something in a game, like defeating a hard boss or even a villain you just really hated is different than watching the hero beat him on screen. Both are good, just in different ways. Then you've got games where story is told through gameplay and just would not work in other mediums, that doesn't mean those stories are amazing or anything, just the style of storytelling makes them different.

Dr. Kermode rates it, fuck the internet hacks.

Let me put it like this: IT's an xperience. The moment thr music starts and GulDan leads the orcs into Azeroth it sucks you in andonly lets go when the credit rolls. IT is a very unique blockbdter.I will stay with you for a long time after watching and some scenes are haunting. (Durotan vs Guldan)

Critics are all cucks who are still mad about goobergate and are systematically trying to bring anyhing related to videogames down

Can someone explain wtf happened to movie critics? Not even defending Warcraft here cause I haven't seen it. But every movie review nowadays are super short, like 3 sentences, and they mention nothing about the movie aside from if hey thought it was good or bad. Why does no one break it down and give a proper review on the acting, direction, writing, music and cinematography.
It's all just 2 sentences of I LIKED IT or they didn't

Because we failed as human beings.

Because they are cucks who act and think like women. It's all emotional, not logical.

>if you got a good story to tell
>in a video game movie
top kek

>one gamekino
But thats Angry Birds

>Why does no one break it down and give a proper review on the acting, direction, writing, music and cinematography
Because cinema embryos like you don't want that
You want something quick you can spam on a board you just joined

I watched it, had played WoW for many years and enjoyed it. It has remained faithful to the game aesthetically and I thought the effects were good esp arcane magic scenes.

I cant imagine what it would be like if I wasnt already familiar with the universe but I guess these people have spoken up.

Sup Forums fuck off how many times do we have to tell you?

It's Sup Forums you fucking game of thrones meme tourist

Chances are that he showed him the director's cut with unifhinished cgi instead of the theatrical cut so he probably enjoyed it.

I don't understand why people think video games can be properly adapted into film. Interactivity and player agency is the whole point of video games, and don't people realize that their stories are often lifted straight from movies (paying homage if you're generous). That's why cutscenes became such a big thing once better 3D model animation came about: they merely emulated film instead of continuing on their own path.

Even recent games hailed as pushing narrative gameplay forward such as the last of us is heavily borrowing from film. Can you say:

>Children of Men
>Every zombie movie dystopian situation
>So many cutscenes

Nothing new or challenging under the sun. If/when they adapt the last of us to film, its story will be revealed as the generic shit it is. Nothing interesting or cinematic, and its everything we've seen before.

Video games should stick to their own medium if they want to be taken seriously, and not just "pay homage" to films to get narrative leverage.

If capeshit can get an 80% rating, this should get at least that much, I seriously don't understand what's up with the ratings. Not a Blizzdrone, I fucking hate WoW, the movie was actually pretty decent.

I'm hoping this will be more like Jupiter Ascending; weird, stupid, with amazing visual design, unique sense of direction, and a refreshing lack of disney-esqeness to it

he's actually a good reviewer more often than not. He's a friend of a friend.

>trying too hard

I love it when plebs love to hate on "critics"

they even say shit like it's "ironic" or "sad" that they don't like most movies. If you can't figure out why critics don't like most movies, why they shouldn't like most movies, or why they're good at explaining why they don't like most movies, you are probably very dumb