How the Hell is morningstar an effective weapon? Why was it used?

How the Hell is morningstar an effective weapon? Why was it used?

Why pierce or cut an armor when you can crush it?

Elf fags have weak bone structure. So when you're purging them it's easier with a blunt weapon.

/Thread

Far more effective at attacking the head and neck than other weapons when the target is wearing armor

>>/tg/

those that actually existed are very, very different to that pic.

(hint: think what happens to your knuckles, when you have a ball on a chain that's as long as the handle...)

flail type ones, normally on a haft of at least 5 foot are effective as they're hard to block, and were cheap to make.

no weapons cut armour. very few pierced it, and even less crush it. that stuff is insanely effective all the way up to the mid-16th C firearms finally started getting more powerful.

It's a decorative weapon. No one actually used it. It surfaced in late medieval times, prob when there were guns already. HEMAfag here.

back to

You don't have to get through the armor since its blunt force the body still receives the force

Lindybeige did a video on them, they were different from the picture and were good at getting over sheilds of heavily armoured opponents.

That's a flail, and was primarily used from horseback. Morningstars are just a type of mace, which was the most effective weapon in the high middle ages, when armor plating was more common.

This is true.
Dr. William Urban, a crusades and military historian, wrote a recent article where he showed that one-hand flails were generally not used in battle.

It wasn't widely used. Probably not used at all.

Was probably one of those things people had to look menacing but wasn't actually practical

You could attack behind shields and the blunt was pretty effective against plate mail. After a few swings you couldnt even breathe inside your armor since it was hammered in.

Not in battle, but yes, it was widely used, mostly because of its ability to kill the enemy despite of his armor. I used to fight with one, I also own one. A difficult, but efficient weapon.

get one and destroy a car with it youll see how easy it goes , the thing is if you just swinged a stiff mace like a baseball bat its just a stick , and now attach spiked ball on chain to the end now you have double swing = hand + chain , this hits 4 times harder than a stiff mace

more realistic proportion

fucking time traveler, fuck off ser knight

It was mainly used to kill peasants while you were riding your horse.
It was like playing polo.

>Not [used] in battle
>Widely used... to kill enemy despite armor
Pick one

you've never been hit with or swung a flail, have you? if you have, you'd know.

and that's not a morning star. pic related is a morning star.

This weapon depictred here looks like it's made to get stuck.
Sure hurts in the right parts, but suddenly you are left without a weapon.

>I used to fight with one

yeah, what the fuck is effective about a heavy, spikey, metal ball on a chain, faggot?

If it's on a chain, it was used for swinging around the opponent's shield.

Wasn't it generally much longer? I have no idea, but used knock large bladed weopons out of people's hands?

>while he stabs you

Would make it generally more useful than a sword, more range if just a little.

I read an article about how they were actually made for decorative and ceremonial purposes, not for combat. They are almost never depicted in art of battles or combat scenes.

For all you faggots claming things: what's the source?

That particular version didn't exist, and certainly never saw combat. So short awnser is that it didn't.

>I used to fight with one, I also own one. A difficult, but efficient weapon.

Well hello there Connor MacLeod! We have been graced with the Highlander in our thread!

We are so lucky!

>Why was it used?
Was it?

>while you also have a shield

That's a flail. A morning star in a spiky club used to pierce plate armour and mail.

~DarkKhan~