I'm a moderately successful car salesman that wants to put an end to the negative stigma

I'm a moderately successful car salesman that wants to put an end to the negative stigma.

Ask me anything

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Do9qGrmowds
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Y u no give me financing?!?

where does the sun go at night?

The Goods is such an underrated movie

Get a good cosigner and I'll put you in something amazing!

The sun is always there, user. We just have to wait for it

Truer words have never been spoken

If I'm looking for a car and I describe what I want and you don't have anything like that, are you going to say so or pitch me on something that doesn't resemble what I'm looking for?

how much are you allowed to negotiate? Say on a 10k car (for easy math).

Do you usually have to be pushy? Get them in the car, try to not let them leave, etc.

Does bringing cash make the deal any better?

Show me the carfax

Our prices are like John wilks booth. Well seek up behind you and blow your brains out!

i want a subaru wrx 12 yay or ney

when you go to the back and "negotiate" with your boss on my offer...where do you actual go? Bathroom break?

I once put three dealerships in competition with each other for a brand new civic. I told them what I wanted for my trade in (I think they overpaid), I told them the price I wanted for the car and I told them my fico was 760 which it was. Three dealerships all starting from online, they all beat each other in pricing until one guy showed me a pricing sheet saying theyre only making $100.00. That an accurate way of ruining someones commission? Another buddy of mine says that used cars have more margin room for negotiating.

I make money when you buy. I try my damnedest to get you in something you'll like with some (if not all) of what you want.

This one depends on if it's a new or used car. Used has incredible amount of wiggle room. New is a lot less.

Bad salesmen are pushy.

Cash only helps if you pull it out at a surprise at the end, once a price with no money down has been established.

CarFax is a GODSEND for salespeople, believe it or not.

I myself do actually go to a manager. Rarely to "negotiate" for a better deal for a customer, but to discuss what was said and come up with a plan of attack.

Every dealership I've worked for has a flat for salesmen usually around $150 to $200. If the flat is greater than commission, you get the flat. Also used cars have much more room for movement.

So what brands do you sell? Are you less likely to negotiate for in-demand brands like BMWs and are more willing for brands people don't give a fuck about like corollas?

I work for a Hyundai & Mitsubishi dealership in an upper-middle class area. As a dealership, we are a lot less likely to budge much on pricing for anything luxury or performance, with the exception of Ford Mustangs and Dodge Chargers/Challengers on account of how poorly they stack up to other performance vehicles

So if I were to play that same game on a used car I could potentially get thousands of dollars off? I negotiated a $23k car down to 19.5. Realistically, is there a stopping point on negotiating used cars?

The realistic lowest price is going to be what the dealership paid for the car. If you manage to get a vehicle down to that number, the only profit for the dealership would be the dealer fee. Used vehicles are marked up around 25-35% of what they cost the dealer to purchase. They probably made 2-3 thousand off of you, which isn't bad for either party.

How did they make that much money off of me? I got the KBB trade in value for my old car. I got approved for 1.9% financing and the guy showed me a sheet that shows theyre only making $1000.00 off me. My trade in had almost 200k miles on it

Because it depends what the dealership paid for the car...

$1000 that you were shown, likely plus a dealer fee that you knew about or one that was hidden in the price of the car, plus a payout from the manufacturer. That's all assuming what they showed you was true, and they probably sold your trade for a profit at auction. The house ALWAYS wins.

Post wife nudes

> I'm a moderately successful car salesman that

Start by remembering that people are always "who" or "whom;" never "that."

The more you know... Don't let this be you, kids.

>getaloadathisguy.mpeg

Chalk it up as mental atrophy from working with ridiculous and unreasonable customers all day.

I wouldn't say win, sounds like he got a good trade in deal, I'd say its more of a fair trade off than win for either party.

Why do you care about the stigma? Being in a hug box doesn't help your numbers and numbers are what matters. You exist to trick and charm everyone into spending as much as you can get them to, why do you acre about how poor fave view you, if you're successful?

Or are you actually some awful liberal arts dropout who is sad about having to work for a living?

youtube.com/watch?v=Do9qGrmowds

> driving by a place that sells new mini coopers
> see a lime green charger inside a tall fence half a block from their building, crammed in with a bunch of other cars
> do 360 go inside
> salesman immediately doesn't want to deal with me
> I have enough cash on hand to buy a Lambo if I wanted to (you'll give me shit about saying this. Idgaf)
> always wear grungy shit
> he goes into the back to find the price of charger
> takes forever
> reappears
> ask him a random question about the mini Cooper in the display area
> salesman pissed and genuinely confused
> which car did you come in here to look at

It was bizarre. It was like he could not fathom that someone could be asking about two cars. I never did get the price on the charger because he left again and never came back. I eventually just left

Do you major in philosophy? Because you sound like a fag.

It's more that I'd love it if I had fresh customers come in and not have a massive wall for me to tear down from the get go. Who wouldn't want their job to be a little bit easier? It would certainly lead to a larger commission check, and I'm all about that life.

I'm starting a job with no previous car sales experience at one of the largest Audi dealerships in the country in a few weeks.

Tips/recommendations on how to set off on the right foot?

How much haggling are you actually able to do?

But you'd also be benefitting all the other salesmen who you're competing with. There is no reason to let them steal your commissions. Why are you so bad at your job?

Some salesman really just don't want to be there, which is a real shame. Sales as a profession can be EXTREMELY rewarding financially, and pretty damn fun too.

Get your certification done ASAP. Do them at home if you need to. Learn your product to the very best of your ability, and be ready for the most ridiculous questions that a customer might have for you. Also, if you don't have any sales experience, prepare yourself for customers that will try and tear you down personally. Don't let it get to you, keep your nose clean, take as many ups as possible, and you'll be fine.

When I tell you that I can't take another penny off and we're only making about a hundred dollars, I have another $2500-3500 to play with (depending on the customer and their financial situation, of course)

I'm not seeing the connection, but you do you!

>pretty damn fun too.
Holy shit what kind of liberal government funded shit site do you work for? You exist to sell cars, to beat out the competition, and to make money. Who let you into a real job?

The salesman's paycheck is directly proportional to the amount of bullshit up-sales they convince to you buy. As such, none of them are trustworthy in the least.

OP is optomistic that he can maintain some semblance of integrity, but that's because he has no experience with dealership culture. In the car business (coming from an ASE certified mechanic), dishonest moneymakers are rewarded by their superiors. Honesty and integrity are punished and frowned upon because they are far less profitable.

I'll tell you have a salesman lost the sale of a $22,000 truck with me.
> talk to salesman
> agree on a price
> everything is good
> Says I have to go in the back talk to the finance guy
> go back there.
> Finance Guy insisted I buy LoJack and extended warranty
> nope and nope
> keeps insisting
> nope.jpg
> say "last time I bought an extended warranty the dealership didn't honor it. It's a worthless piece of paper and I'm not going to pay $2000 for it"
> finance guy: " i'll tell you what I'm gonna do. If you buy the extended warranty he and we don't order it I will take you to the owner personally, and he owns 50 dealerships throughout the United States"
> say ok sounds good. Let me have that in writing
> guy: not putting it in writing
> then you just lied to me. See ya pal
> walked out. Never went back. Cost me 3-4 hours of pay for that

What in your opinion would be the best way to pay as little as possible on a car?

Sorry, I meant this guy: not OP.

Don't buy a new car. Only idiots buy new cars.

I didn't necessarily mean a new car.

You're absolutely right, but the sale itself is incredibly stimulating, and something I really enjoy.

This guy is pretty spot on. I'm relatively new to the car sales industry, with only four years under my belt. I've been able to maintain a great relationship with my superiors, and come away with around $8000 a month which is enough for me for now. Salesman like you're talking about absolutely make more money.

if it isn't in writing, it isn't happening. Get everything agreed upon in writing before signing.

Without freakish luck AND a fresh salesman? Services like Truecar.

Your job is to break down people, trick them, distract them, up sell them, charm them, separate them from support, and make them agree to the sale. If every one expects a hand job from their salesman, it increases the work you have to do to meet minimum standards and they don't have to be good sales men, just customer service robots.

There is a point where you spend too much time with a customer, that it has a negative effect on your income, no doubt about that. The key is to strike a balance that will lead to strong referrals and repeat customers.

I fix cars for a living, and this is my advice:

Never buy a car from a dealership.

Find a used car for sale that isn't a piece of shit make/model (sebring, neon, hhr, caliber, pt cruiser, etc. - all fucking garbage)

Take said car to a mechanic and have it inspected BEFORE you buy it, NOT after.

Look up bluebook price and don't pay more than 2/3 of that.

Never buy a salvage title or any car that's ever been in an accident.

Stay domestic or japanese or your repair bills will be astronomical.

What happened in 'Querque?

Cool I sell Aircraft. What's your Commission structure, e.g. do you get mins. Is your manager really the only person who knows what the cost of inventory is. Any specific sales tactics you use?

This is the dumbest advice I've ever heard.

What car isnt domestic or jap
Vw and bmw thats it

I make a flat $600 per week (no draw) plus 30% of the gross profit on what I sell. Flat on new is $200, flat on used is $150. Plus bonuses from the manufacturer and spins from the dealership. Costs of new vehicles are posted on the car itself, used is posted on a sticker, disguised as misc. information. I'm a huge fan of the "Look, I don't want to waste your time, tell me what you would be comfortable with" approach. I also love to do a silent walk around of their trade, touching every blemish or dent on the car without saying a word. They devalue the shit of their car all on their own

Whatever turd, I'm the guy who writes the estimates and does the work. I know what people pay for what they drive.

U realise that your insurance on a used car is higher

Ha, turd

That makes absolutely no sense. You're telling me that a used 2013 that you pay cash for is going to cost more for insurance than a new car that the bank still owns? Are you crazy?

Audi, Maserati, Aston Martin, Porche, Mercedes, Bentley, Jaguar, etc. (only the ones I've worked on). I'd say the only notable exception is Mini. Those fuckers are well engineered.

You have literally never owned a car

Cool, yeah it seems you use the same lingo in all sales based fields. "What's your mission" and "I don't want to waste your time". Finding something common ground and being able to just openly talk to people about other stuff besides your asset for sale and get there mind off of it seems to be the best. If you havent read How to Make Friends and Win Relationships or whatever i'd give it a read. My mentor in this business (net worth something like $35M) gave me a copy when I was an intern and it was good advice. I know its pitched all the time so i'm sure you've heard of it.

What's the best course of action if you want a new car now but you still owe about 4-5K more than the trade-in value? How much cash would I need to bring to the table?

If you are upside down (owe more than the car is worth), you're automatically in a bad position. I would highly recommend bring in enough cash to pay off the rest of the car, or go into it knowing full well that your monthly payment are going to go up. At the very least, put enough money down to cover the tax, tag, and title.

Don't be a greedy faggot, pay off what you owe, and live within your means. The best course of action is not always the most palatable.

This

Yeah, that's what my gf says. Probably why she's better at managing money than I am. "but I really, really want it" doesn't phase her in the slightest...

I am a manchild.

Probably a stupid question but... Are you honest? Do you still have a conscience?

There isn't anything wrong with wanting a new vehicle. As a salesman, I'd recommend looking at leasing options your next time through a dealership. They can be phenomenal for people that like being in the latest and greatest every few years.

I don't lie to my customers. If they have an issue, we work around it together. Of course I want them to pay as much as possible, but I don't set them up for failure on something they can't manage.

listen to your gf.

"...as a salesman...I want them to pay as much as possible..."

This is the truth.

Former salesguy here. Who's your CRM tool?

We use eLeads CRM. I like it for the most part, but it can be a buggy mess on bad days.

I have a mustang that im still paying on, only need about 5-6k to pay it off. kbb says its worth 10,000, but how much room will you give me if i want to trade up. Looking at like a 2012 Shelby. Also how would the insurance be on that if im in my early 20's.
Thanks in advance op

Early 20's, wants a Shelby...

You are a salesman's wet dream. More money than sense...

Fellow /carsalesman/ here. I work for Nissan, honestly the easiest cars to sell outside the Midwest. What's you're commission plan? Salary plus commission or straight commission?

Depending on the condition of your mustang of course, some dealerships will over allow on what they pay for a trade to make a sale, especially if you have a solid down payment. As for your insurance, there are way to many factors involved for me to be comfortable giving you an estimate. I would give them a call and request a quote.

Former salesguy here. Which CRM tool do you use?

Greatly depends on the millage and cars condition. Most dealerships don't use kbb, we use Manheim for auction pricing.

Salary plus commission and manufacturer kickbacks plus spins/bonuses. Super thankful that I don't work on a draw.

see

> This one depends on if it's a new or used car. Used has incredible amount of wiggle room. New is a lot less.

My god, you're even more useless and greasy than the stereotypes suggest. Give us some actual numbers. How much % can I expect to negotiate off of a new car, or an old car.

not sure why this posted twice.

Using anything other than dealersocket or crm suite is trash.

oh well. rather have a nice car when im young an in college than have a midlife crisis corvette when im 50

I'm a mechanic who lives in the midwest and owns a newish rogue.

Great cars, on par w/ toyota/honda and highly underrated.

The average negotiable amount on most assets is 15%

Every time I walk on a lot looking for a car with a stick & clutch, I'm told by the salesman that they have none, and he *always* commiserates with me that they're so hard to find. I guess I don't have a question for you, but I just want to express my frustration.

Depends on that car.

How much is a baseball card worth?

There are so many variables here that you are trying to ignore. New cars can be sold for invoice price (what the dealer paid the manufacturer) Used cars can be sold at cost (What the dealer paid at auction, a private seller, or on a trade in)
If you need it broken down into its simplest form, you can probably negotiate 10-15% off.

How's Gutter?

Your parents' wallet is showing...

for a new car it depends on the company and trim level. For example a Chevy Tahoe fully loaded has a 11-15k profit margin whereas a nissan sentra SR has a 2k profit margin.

For used cars it's different, it depends on how the dealership owns them. For example just last week we sold a 2001 Honda Accord for 16k, we owned it for 2k. After the shop our total cost was 3k on the car and made a 13k profit. On the flip side we sold a 2015 jeep wrangle sport that was fully molded. We owned it for 39k and sold it for 41k making 2k profit. It all depends but on new cars there is much less negotiation.

As someone who drives manual vehicles (a 2015 Mazda 6 sport, and a Buell motorcycle) I totally get this. I love manuals, but they are so freakishly hard to get a hold of outside of performance cars.

Yeah we're straight commission but being able to sell new and used is great. We make the huge pounders on used but get lots of corporate money from new units. It's like 200 a car on new until you get to 7 cars then is 400. Once you sell 12 new it goes to 500 then 750 once you pass 17 or more cars. Not to mention spiffs which are always Paid in cash. It's pretty nice honestly.

People act like if they came from a wealthy family they would say fuck it and go live in a shack. get real dude lmao. I just lucky with the life dice roll

Nope they aren't hard to find at all if you want a cheap low end car. Now if you wanted a nicer higher trim level vehicle good luck.

Nissans are honestly great vehicles. Same preformance if not better than Toyota for a third of the price. Not to mention our new half ton Nissan Titan diesel Cummins truck blows Chevy and Dodge out of the water for a fraction of the price.

Now, you think it's luck, because you're a young idiot. That's because you don't understand that hardship and experience is far more valuable than your daddy's money will ever be.

Let him work a straight commission job for a few months and he'll straighten up. When you realize it's sell or starve you learn how to succeed.

Salty poorfag spotted.

P.S., read the Ramayana. It's about an ancient Indian prince born into royalty who jumped the palace walls to see what real life was like, living among the commoners.

You could learn a lot if you managed to tear yourself away from mommy's teat...

You're an idiot he doesn't know what car you're buying how could he possibly give you actual numbers you mongoloid

You like to use the words mommy and daddy alot.
Sorry yours wernt around to raise you troglodyte.

>car salesman
>put an end to the negative stigma
Pro tip: You can't.

On the contrary, they're still around and ready to help at a whim. Thing is, they taught me to be independent and self-sufficient, and with great success. I'm sorry that yours haven't cut the cord yet...