Which programming languages are okay and which are for fags?

Which programming languages are okay and which are for fags?
IMO if you arent capable of writing a serious program (comparable to 300+ lines in java) in assembly, you're a failure as a programmer

Otherwise C, C++, Java okay
Python, Javascript, html, ruby for tards (your rank by the best that you know)

Other urls found in this thread:

viva64.com/en/examples/
viva64.com/en/b/0426/
youtube.com/watch?v=4A2mWqLUpzw
phpsadness.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know you are, but what am i

> HTML
> Programming Language

Wat. I don't think you're a "serious programmer"

All are okay if you're on a certain level. But a programmer can't be good without knowing C, some object oriented language and perhaps some functional stuff.

I like Lisp and C the most. I use C++ the most since it's a good compromise.

>Javascript
>for tards
Ya Angular, Node, Backbone, React for retards.

Pls kill your self.

Ya, imma bout c and c++ myself. Java is nice if i wanna ease off some of the edges, but it has too many limitation in the way of compatibility.
I keep getting told I need to like python more, but it just seems too kiddy to me, like a half step between visual basic and something real.

this

ITT "smart" fags take the bait

OP here, never tried, how is C# as a language (both in difficulty and in use)

Easy to use, great for use. Microsoft has taken it really far. It's basically Java if it weren't shit.

Great as a Java like language (needs a runtime, JIT, garbage collection), however long term trends are more favorable of the native compiled languages, especially for desktop applications, but I think this will come into play also for web applications. C++ gained a lot of modern features in C++11 and C++14 versions, and is compiled, quick, and gives good per Watt performance (which is important in servers). It is however much more complicated to use than C# or Java, so it might not get adopted as widely.

any good, free sources to learn?
All my other languages I learned in the classroom, but dunzo with schol now.

/thread

OP go home you are an idiot

If you're familiar with other high-level languages you should be able to pick it up fairly quickly just by looking at the documentation. So no real need for tutorial unless you really think that'll help you learn

I suggest trying to recreate pong or some simple game in C# and looking up tutorials on how to do very specific things (like create a window, draw somethings, etc).

All true, though I will say C# is near "native" performance (thanks to JIT, as you mentioned).

In my opinion if you write a serious program in assembly and you really didn't need to, you're a failure as a programmer.

Also you just spouted "Le Most Poplar lenguages for linkedin" and meme'd all over the place.

I know this is bait, but seriously fucking pick it up.

noone should be regularly programming in assembly, unless they're a sperg. Knowing how to is a reflection of your base knowledge of how programming languages work.Writing 1 or 2 multi hundred line assembly programs is good for understanding how things work; with compilers as good as they are now, you're a tard to do more than that. Hell even my friends with jobs writing firmware and hardware-bound drivers just use C.

i only program in python

I need to finish this. I need to atleast make something reasonable.

Learn from the ground up. Beginners can do C just fine if they're not awful at symbolic logic and math. Wizards and those moderately skilled in C can do an assembly language. After that you can play around with hobby and career languages. Assembly is not useful for most things, but it's part of paying your dues and being prepared to know what the fuck you're talking about and doing.

If you just cannot do it, don't bother to try anything until you've finished high school algebra classes and read a book on logic: dover publishes a good, cheap one. Play with redstone in minecraft, or get an arduino and screw around with it using python as well. These are similar to what you'll do when programming when you first start out.

Don't bother to learn a web language unless you eventually want to work with them, but only after you're any good at C and assembly. Note that only 25% of what you learn will be applicable in ten years.

(Also, turn back, this is not a satisfying life path.)

>play with redstone in minecraft
troll

Siemens step 7 stl

>assembly meme
>#soooNerdy2016

I program in powershell

not all assembly is the same. MIPS assembly is god tier, x86 assembly is merely good tier.
That said, noone, EVER, should be programming in assembly with any regularity.

>Serious programmer
>Calls HTML a language
>mfs this is bait

What does the L stand for in HTML, then?

Ya, theres a meme that HTML isn't a programming language. While it's not a deep and complex one, it still def is. Fap more codefags.

C++ is a pain. 10000 examples of the way programmers have hurt themselves viva64.com/en/examples/ Seriously, 10000!

>no love for Fortran

If you're writing that much assembly, you're an idiot.

Remind self what the M stands for as well. Programming languages create programs.

So, don't hurt yourself. I see c++ like some serious working with a metal, involving cutters, machine tools and so on. It can hurt, but it's metal.

/Thread

No, it is not, it is a markup language.

I have started programming, but so far I cannot find anything interesting to create aside Javascript for my sites.
What did you do as a first personal project that boosted your experience or motivation?
I an noob, so I am interested to know the noob you were.
>pic for pledge

Create a 2d game fam

C#

Registry tweaking could be insightful in coding

seconding

R

Though WPF breaks my balls every fucking day god damn . net

I'm currently going to school for Basic Computer Programming. I'll know a little bit of html, Java, JavaScript, and C++. After that, I'll decide exactly what I want to persue and focus on a single language with knowledge of the big names.

Attempt to copy flash games or learn the very basics of a serious program and get a mini version of that going.
Attempting a mini-deffraggler atm, which does nothing all that useful aside from being a neat way of testing out sorting methods.

Sudoku, hangman, tic tac toe, etc.

Make it a longterm project where you add more and more features. (ie: AI v. AI., character set swapping, multi-dimensional boards.)

For fuck's sake.

What exactly is it you think the registry is?

sed is fun. most people only ever write some variant of 's/regex/substitution/g' but it's actually got many more features, you can kind of think of it as bytecode for a really shitty VM that only understands strings and regex matching.

Taught myself neural nets and wrote an handwriting recognition app that does 1-9, +, z, a-z with > 95% accuracy. Now working to extend to unicode characters.

>not coding in BASIC

>if you cant write in a low-level language, then you're a failure
agreed
>you should therefore inly use low-level languages
strongly disagree.
as soon as you have proven you understand a low-level language, you should use a high-level language
as soon as you have understoodm programming, you should use tools that encourage minimizing deficiencies and aide in working together as a team.

imo python is the best
>easy code review by maximizing readablity
>automatic verification is reliable
>extremely wide range of debugging mechanism
>subset of the language can be enforced when additional static checking is required
>calling C language functions is possible withouth going full .net/mono retard

php is the worst
>language specifically written to sacrifice security and reliability for lower entry skill level
>inconsistent to the max
>still has parser BUGS

>mfw really good at visual basic

It is tbh, it's only useful to understand programming fundamentals or attract a younger audience into the world of programming.

Learn as many different paradigms as quickly as you can.

Learn you've got procedural (the most common), now learn derlarative (SQL would be the most convenient), a functional (Haskell or, if you use it strictly, Lisp), and a proper Object Oriented (Smalltalk would be great but it's a bit impractical...Ruby would be a decent choice.

Once your brain stops exploding, you'll be able to better solve problems regardless of language.

>C, C++, Java
>Java being grouped with C languages
Are you serious, OP?

Except python is just bad for non scripting tasks. No where near as fast. And all code can be readable if you dont write like a tard.

Actually, all languages can be deadly. It's all very bad. A space error: 370.000.000 $ for an integer overflow viva64.com/en/b/0426/

that's pretty neato famalam

does the software analyse a pic of handwriting or can one directly write on a touchscreen?

python is "readable" how? It's just as easy to do totally crazy bullshit in python as any other language.

It's got C syntax and the same bullshit "Object Oriented" style as C++.

Why wouldn't it be grouped with them?

i do half my work in c# with calls to dll's written in fortran. c++ is an okay compromise if i want to do a straight project

sure asm is ok, but it varies so much for every platform that you can really fuck yourself.

py kicks ass if you just want to fool around with something and get it up and running fast

We're getting teached about python since java is barely useless in networking. Its easily understandable.

>teached

Try making a keylogger.

NOW THAT'S FUN

>barely useless

Speed?

Are you writing an operating system? Device drivers? Gaming engines? Security tools? Streaming codecs?

If you didn't answer yes to one of those and you're that concerned with speed, you're a complete tool and nowhere near as good as you think you are.

It's just that you're too stupid to know it.

Just like every other code monkey.

Asm is useless because you can't fucking beat the compiler.
The compiler knows every trick, every kink, every nut and bolt of your CPU.
It is only limited by your own idiocy, yet it will try its best to bypass it.

It reads in .jpeg of of a bloc of handwriten text. Breaks the pic into sub images of each letter while keeping track of order and then runs each letter through the net. I plan live translation in the future. Endgoal is a scanner that quickly converts handwriting in live video to text. So i can like scan a whiteboard during class and get a 'typed' version.

Are you sure you're still using visual basic, or do your programs have so many windows calls that its basically a C program with an uglier syntax?

i'd say you're a fag, 'cause you cant say which one is the best without relation to the hardware or plan you have. So just learn every language and be happy when you're able to solve problems

Not really. You can do.this in .net with setwinhookex l. Takes maybe an hour.

Big data analytics and network management.

Networking? Of all things? If you are in a networking career, you had to learn other languages, why change to python?

youtube.com/watch?v=4A2mWqLUpzw

I like PHP

>2016
>not using Verilog
plebs

that's a great project m8, keep it up!

>fast
i work with python professinally.
yes, i have run into memory consumption issues, so i moved 2 exceptionally large data structures over to the database server where they belong.

but i have never had trouble with speed. if i had those, i would most likely have made an implementation mistake.
while some very low-level language operations are indeed slower by an order of magnitude in python when ompared to C, what really matters are data operations, and those are no different whatever language they are called from.

>There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write bad code.
what i am talking about is not what the programmer at his worst can do with it.
i am talkig about what he can achieve at his best.
In C, you still have ugly system internals bleeding into coding style (e.g. some pointer/dereferncing/array access patterns cannot be expressed in a clean and consistent API)
In Python, you are writing clean Interfaces even for the most simple data types, while still not violating DRY.

It is useless because it is not portable.

readable for beginners, leave the boy alone

>IMO if you arent capable of writing a serious essay (comparable to 300+ lines in English) on paper, you're a failure at the language

Literally you right now. You're being an elitist about fucking languages.
Pic related.

fuck this over-motivated kids that programs java or C# for one year and try to blame other languages. Try to program FPGA, µCs or sth. like this. You dont even know what the fuck you are doing when you programming java.

Hang on.

*Both* of those?

So, you're an IT guy?

That's another good point.
But generally when you get ANY speed improvement is due you changing how your code works to fit the CPU better, rather than the other way around.

Ladder logic
Fuck you guys

Thanks

Nigga that's like saying APL. Fuck off.

sorry bud,
here's a simple test:
write a program in assembly in which you enter 3 single digit numbers and compute the median of the 3. If you can do that, then you're probably up to snuff in the understanding of the basics of the language. If not, script kiddy status.

phpsadness.com/

So having a job means your good. Being employed != good at code

The only reason to use assembly is RE, questionable patching/hooking, and wiring up code in also questionable ways that a compiler won't do.

Any other reason is idiotic and almost always wrong.

I've done the most with Javascript for work, but it's a giant pile of shit.

>Oh you referenced a variable that doesn't exist? That's ok I'll just silently create it as a global variable.

asm beats c# .net
anytime you skip the cil, you beat any of the .net platforms.

Most good jobs nowadays require you to submit an extensive portfolio and even show knowledge during the interview...computer science is getting pretty competitive because all the kiddies think its the best field in the world even though it's over saturated as fuck

Nothing but FORTRAN 77 is allowed, obviously.

If you haven't built your entire environment from the ground up starting with transistor grids, you're a script kiddie and you should kill yourself.

>implying anyone in the current market from the last 10 years even knows transistor grids anymore
They won't even teach you that in an extensive digital logic course anymore

APL is awesome!

You can write a whole automated air traffic control system in six lines of code.

The only problem is that nobody can figure out how it works (including the person who wrote it).

download

Go electrical engineering