Name a guitarist better than Robert Fripp protip you can't

Name a guitarist better than Robert Fripp protip you can't

if you say Hendrix or Clapton or whatever the fuck take your basic taste to reddit

adrian belew

Me

There isn't one desu.

Jimmy Page :^)

Trey Anastasio

Jandek (^:

Belew can barely play a bit of Fripp's discipline era lines that he tours with. He also relies on effect pedals to play a fair bit of what Fripp does straight with his hands. He's good but not quite Fripp good.
You better be joking.

hendrix > fripp
deal with it nerd

j masics

I dont care how hard fracture is to play

Derek Bailey

John Fahey

>rockists

John "All my songs are just Elizabeth Cotten reworks" Fahey

williams is objectively the best ever.

(just kidding, he's great, and both of them are much better than fripp)

fred frith

>google "jazz guitarist"
>pick any of the results at random

Wow, these really make me think. Is he a professional quote maker?

I never thought I'd find a musician with cringier quotes than Zappa but Fripp might be a suitable challenger

>dude only guitarists that played in my shitty mucore are good
>le hendrix and all classic rock pleb xd
you're the one with basic taste op, go back to your 3x3 post your taste threads where the same rotation of albums get posted every thread and tripfags circle jerk each other about their "patrician" taste lmao

Doc Watson

James Blood Ulmer

DUDE I PLAY GUITAR SITTING DOWN LMAO

Two Robert Fripps

>jazz
>not classical

The mild autism is what does it. Enough for the focus but too much to keep from being awkward and saying cringy things.

too easy, make it harder

Inclusion of one doesn't imply exclusion of the other

>tips fedora

>Fred Firth
This. He is better (avant) prog rock guitarist than Fripp, let alone all genres included. OP btfo.

The only correct answer.

I dunno about better but Fripp and Andy Summers of the Police did an album together. They both are pretty amazing guitar effects players.

>band has 2 robert fripps and 4 drummers

>STRRRRRRRANGE SPAGHETTI IN THIS SOLEMN CITY
What did he mean by this?

>ghetto classical guitarists
>better than fripper

Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane

Literally Hendrix

Guthrie Govan

Johnny Mac

Pff easy, Dimebag

>In a 2003 interview with Saga magazine, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said that the guitar solo on this song was his favorite of all time. While he only mentioned the guitar part, his praise of the song drew interest for the contrast between Blair's policies and the political implications in the song.

>call hendrix and clapton fans as "basic tasted" and "redditors"
>mentions Fripp
wew lad

Tony MacAlpine

'no'

him or Agustín Barrios, add Fahey too

Greg Lake

RIP sweet prince ;__;

You're just mad cause you'll never be as good

I came here to post these three, Tony Iommi, and Glenn Branca. Along with Fripp they make my top six.

Segovia's not even in the top 10 actually good performers of classical, forget among the greatest of all time.

Sir Richard Bishop

How do you define best though

Yeah Williams has technically mastered guitar and can play any piece in the world flawlessly but so could others

We get it, you vape

Sorry boy-o, you can't have a guitar thread without Jimi

technically fripp is much better, but belew gets some insane tones (so does fripp actually). they worked really well together

nick reinhart

Read some of his interviews, he's great. The shit he says can be absolutely hilarious and you only really understand what the fuck he's talking about after reading 5 or 6 of them.

What makes Fripp so great isn't muh technical skillz (though he obviously has that in spades), it's his creativity and originality, especially when coupled with a good band that has a good chemistry. My favourite work of his is Discipline, which is pretty hard to play but hardly his peak of mad skill.
Maybe Yngwie Shitsteem can play faster than Fripp does on Fracture or whatever but he doesn't have an inch of the creative spark and uniqueness. That's what really counts. It's why David Gilmour is such a good guitarist too.

Somebody say my name?

Segovia is a hack who had his tiny fragile ego busted when he went to see Barrios in Central America. Barrios played for him an original piece which Segovia wouldn't give praise but wanted a copy so Barrios sent it. Segovia claimed he never got it. More than likely he couldn't play it. His claim as the godfather of modern classical stands, but there are way better guitarists.

This

Friendly reminder that guitar is the most pleb instrument in a rock band and anyone who cares about guitarists is a turbopleb.
Real patricians care about drummers and bassists.

>implying illiterates are worth following.
Wew lad

Good thing Fripp partnered himself with the best bassists and drummers of the genre.

Not him replying but you need to study the nuances of Willams fingerings, his technique and the deviations from his time with Segovia to get a real feel for how far he has pushed the genere. I know some don't like his style, but the DVD The Seville Concert is probably him at his absolute best.

agree

Dimebag Darnell

Hell yeah

Not at all, Zappa has the absolute cringiest quotes about politics.
>He opposed communism, stating, "A system that doesn't allow ownership ... has—to put it mildly—a fatal design flaw."

Not sure if memeing or not, but whatever.
I honestly think Jimmy Page is a sloppy guitar player and all his credibility comes just from the fact that he was in Led Zeppelin.

This

It all depends on what you value in life, but I think there are a lot of very talented musicians that you don't know about.

Impact Fuze - Feodor Dosmuv
Jazzkamikaze - Daniel Davidsen
CAB - Tony MacAlpine
Mahavishnu Orchestra - John McLaughlin
Animals as Leaders - Tosin Abasi/Javier Reyes
Cacophony - Jason Becker

Then you have all the cats that play with Chick Corea, Frank Gambale, Scott Henderson, Al Di Miola. Buckethead is pretty much the most talented guitarist to have ever lived. Coming from someone that owns all his DVD's and at least 1/3rd of his studio albums. I've seen him live twice. He is unmatched by lightyears.

>band is literally named to disparage a warmonger for being a warmonger
>song is about how horrible war is and how deeply it traumatizes those who participate in it

>warmonger likes it
Wew

>best bassist
That is neither Chris Squire nor is it John Entwistle.

Well definitely not top 5 as every nonsense article would rank him as, but as lead guitarists go he wrote/played some mindblowing riffs and solos.

I think all of these musicians are amazing. Yet, nobody has shit on Jimmy Page and here is why.

Name one bad led zeppelin song (at least houses o f the holy and 1-4 albums)

They were all good songs. He wrote cool riffs and didnt fuck around. His solos were unique. Very innovative. Hes not sloppy. Sloppy implies hes performing notes he didnt intend to perform.

>Buckethead
Wtf

Why you think he's that good
I'm not trashing your opinion, just curious about why you think so highly of him

I mean he's good, great even, I'm only sort of familiar with his stuff, I know he covers quite a number of styles, but to say he's the best is weird idk
Has he done anything mindblowing or out there?

Emma Rohan

The video of him playing his banjo in that rocking chair is pretty fucking awesome. How about the video of him in his backyard playing for his family? That video is insanely cool. All those little theme melodies mixed in with the brutal shredding is fantastic.

I could leave it at that and I would still think hes the best but Im not done.

Jordan. Come on now, that song is fantastic. Just cuz it was on guitar hero doesnt mean its not the best guitar solo on the planet.

Bucketheadland 1 and 2 are stellar. Very creative ideas. Lots of fun.

Then you have his metal albums like cuckoo clocks from hell and elephant mans alarm clock. Awesome shit.

THen you have the jazz fusion records like population override, dragons of eden, even colonial claypool bucket of bernie brains.

Then you have the chill music like colma and electric tears/sea.

Just go to one of his concerts, youll see why. Hes not even trying, hes just good. Hes got time to play nunchukas and do karate and play with puppets all while hes shredding and slapping.

Hes one of the best bassists ive ever seen and I study stanley clarke, bunny brunel,all those cats.

Hes just good. Dont let his costume fool you.

>Has he done anything mindblowing or out there?
Not really. He's very competent but he hasn't trodden any real new ground.

john mclaughlin
eddie hazel
buzz osbourne (IMO, while i'll admit that he isn't the innovator that fripp was i find his playing more enjoyable to listen to)

West Montgomery

As far as innovation is concerned, these are some of my favorite guitar players:
Allan Holdsworth, Robert Fripp, Django Reinhardt, Wes Montgomery.
Every single one of them either invented a completely new way of playing the instrument or reinvented the sound throughout their careers.

The solo to Heartbreaker is sloppy.

correct

Mike Oldfield
Micheal Rother
John McLaughin

>he wrote cool riffs
He barely had any really riff progression happen in his tracks, it's usually one or two cool riffs per track, and their tracks are long as shit. Can be cool, but not standout at all. It's kinda why I and I feel many others tend to lose interest in the band because there's not much depth outside that one or two catchy riff per track, and then you gotta look to Bonham for actually interesting stuff to happen.

>His solos were unique
Bluesy technique done in the same two keys pentatonic blues scales.

>Innovative
Riffy hard rock song writing was Rolling Stones/Who, Eddie Phillips from The Creation did bowed guitar first and in fact might have influenced Page on that, Page took 12 strings from blues musicians as well, etc.

>not sloppy
>sloppy implies he's performing notes he didn't intend to perform
Not necessarily. Sloppy also implies a more slacker, lazy type attitude, one that actually kinda helped Page develop his playing style, and is just as much a positive for him as it is a negative.