Where can I learn more about sound synthesis, algorithms, and other electronic musical things?

Where can I learn more about sound synthesis, algorithms, and other electronic musical things?

I'm pretty useless when it comes to maths, engineering and science but i'm dead keen on learning more about this stuff

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/mu/thread/S31035283
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ04PwFvui1BCUAE9wxmOqHE51mrDv8Ui
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF323DDC21E6DC960
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you're useless at math how the fuck do you think you're gonna be able to understand advanced mathematical concepts like fourier analysis and the harmonic series? it's like someone who doesn't have taste buds wanting to be a chef.

well shoulder shrugs aside you're gonna have to quit being a little bitch and start learning about math and science. quit being a loser and pursue some knowledge you fucking scrub.

>pretty useless when it comes to maths, engineering and science

gonna have to work on that, that's really all that sound synthesis is.

as far as algorithms go, take a look at the fast fourier transform and see if you can follow it/get an intuitive understanding of it. it's pretty crucial in digital signal processing.

some terms to learn:
-types of synthesis
subtractive synthesis
frequency modulation
additive synthesis
wavetable synthesis
lfo, vca, vco, etc. etc.

learn about digital signal processing effects: compression, gating, limiting, learn about the types of reverb, FILTERS (low pass, high pass, bandpass, etc.), envelopes generators, maybe ring modulation

if you can, grab max 7. it's a great sandbox to play around in for this kind of stuff.

maybe learn about waves in general as a basis for all this stuff.

let me know if you need more info, this is just a random laundry list of shit.

who pissed in your coffee this morning :^)

thanks, i'll look into it :-)

why is it that this website is filled with people who want to do x but aren't willing to actually put work into it? literally every one of you is like "hurr i want to do such and such but i dont want to put work into it, how can i do x without actually doing anything?" fucking zeroes every single one of you. if you were actually passionate about it you would've just fucking did it, but no all of you are lazy entitled pieces of shit who don;t know what hard work and dedication are. i mean here you are, on a anonymous image board asking someone else to show you how to do something. you make me sick

>t. person who hasn't done anything with their life and still complains about people on Sup Forums, despite being one of those people

harmonic series is just fractions
are people actually this bad at maths?

im satisfied with my life, i work and make good money and make music as a hobby on the side. when i wanted to learn something, i went out and learned it. the fact that you don't see a problem with OP's post suggests you're just as autistic as him.

Except the OP asked where he could go to put work into it, with the humble admittance that he is math retarded.

It wasn't "how can I learn without working", it was "where can I learn more about synthesis? I am retarded with math and science but I want to learn anyway because it really interests me"

So it turns out you're just a projecting insecure faggot. Enjoy your "fulfilling life" bitching at ghosts on Sup Forums.

lol you actually replied to the troll way to get baited

And yet I feel nothing.

you've proven yourself even more the manchild!

it is not """just fractions""""

it pretty much is if you want to make most music

definitely not "just fractions"

if you actually want to understand it in a meaningful way you need at least some cursory knowledge of real analysis.

you also don't need to know jack shit about the harmonic series to actually make music. likewise for the DFT, although it's all very interesting stuff to know about.

flaming and trolling aside he has a point, it is very often on this board where people want to be spoonfed info and knowledge and stuff

true, true

i was just trying to be encouraging towards op

its obvious you're a husk of a person incapable of feeling, cool story

I think what all these people are trying to say OP, is that this is a bad place to ask serious questions. Expecting to come on Sup Forums and ask a question like this and expect a serious and well thought out answer is the most foolish thing one could hope for. Learn to google, google wont troll you it will bring up relevant info pertaining to your query.

i mean this is a public resource
thats kinda how the internet works
people asking other people for help is a starting point and completely normal and acceptable
you freakin the fuck out when someone asks for help instead of just ignoring it comes off like dependency issues

true, not op but the thing is there are so many users with such a wide base of understanding here
the reason people gravitate to Sup Forums or similar boards is because they can get recommendations on where to start from real people instead of just letting the internet lead them the same place it leads everyone
who knows maybe someone has some advice stranger things have happened here

it's a public resource for information the same way a stagnant cesspool is a resource for drinking water. yeah you can technically get drink out of it but it's of the lowest caliber and drinking it will probably give you an illness.

if you want to learn synthesis buy a cheap analog monosynth

not gonna argue with that but you and i are the ingredients to the cesspool my guy
no sense in pretending you're above it

there are so many other more constructive forums for this kind of discussion, hell honestly im on Sup Forums because I masturbate a lot in /s/ and i shitpost about niggers on Sup Forums and occasionally i come here to participarte in sharethreads, but inevitably i see threads like this and shitting on you retards is easier than raping a toddler

see i never said i wasn't a piece of shit, i own my worthlessness.

Don't listen to the insecure STEMlords in this thread OP.
Sound synthesis and Autechre are the only things that leaded me to learn programming, and makes me want to also learn math nowadays, even though I don't put much effort into it.
The best thing you can do right now is experimenting with PureData or Max/MSP. Make simple patches to explore different kinds of sound synthesis (additive, FM, substractive, etc.), and read things describing how some iconic synthesizers works.
Once you will get more comfortable with the basics, try to read a book on DSP math, papers on dafx.de and acreil's posts all over the internet.
Don't worry if you don't understand all the math and technical terms at first, I don't either, but practice make perfect.
Urs Heckmann worked as an industrial designer for 15 years before he started to make his u-he VSTs, in his late 30s. It's never too late.

Also, think of Fourier transforms as the inverse of additive synthesis. From a sound, you get all the information to resynthesize it with a bunch of sinusoidal oscillators.

I wonder if their are any legit artists that before they were famous posted in Sup Forums and posted in soundcloud threads and stuff. probably not

nope, any self respecting musician would never seriously post their stuff in a place like this, only NEET autists post on here.

yah i mean op asked a normal question and you came in and started talking about raping toddlers and calling out the people who post actual discussion
it's only as shitty a board as you make it man your experience will reflect your attitude and actions
this was a decent thread

you can usually find more serious projects in bandcamp threads
but i mean its really hard to get famous and there's only so many Sup Forumstants so odds are slim

lol no it wasn't and neither is it a decent board. just underagers fawning over waifus and nig nog music.
(im more obscure in my tastes than you!)

i kinda enjoy mew so i'm just gonna have to agree to disagree
but yeah a solid filter helps

dude this guy has never fucking left his basement its crazy that there are such sad people out there. i bet this guy tried making music and realized he would never make it so now hes infinitely bitter towards others that are trying to reach their aspirations. i feel sorry for this guy.

rbt.asia/mu/thread/S31035283

And this is why ladies anf gentlemen, the internet is on of the worst places for actual discussion. in real life this thread would have never happened, the shitposter guy would have been long since ignored and told to physically leave. honestly the internet is good for a lot of stuff but this type of discussion is not one of them. sure sometimes these threads have actual exchange of ideas but more often than not some asshole comes in and derails everything because hes able to post anonymously.

p sure Rustie used to. maybe Lone as well

>rbt.asia/mu/thread/S31035283
I said legit artists

honestly i think op got what he wanted a while back and now we're just arguing about other shit because i can't ignore a (you) in good faith
still wouldn't say it was a bad thread tho

i know its just infuriating, like fuck can we just talk about music stuff without the retard brigade bargin in huh?

It's just chans.
As much I think Sup Forums is one of the best place to discuss music on the internet, Reddit and places like HackerNews or KVR are vastly superior when it comes to discussing technical stuff with knowledgeable people.

samefagging this hard get a life bro

ya got me

i dunno it's part of the fun
4chans cool cause u get to see how the crazies work
but i got like 7 tabs open rn so i feel adequately discussed

"im behind seven proxies!"

hooray i successfully nullified all discussion in this thread my work is done, saged

>shitting on you retards is easier than raping a toddler

source?

lol its unsauceable

The internet.

Woah what a drama queen.
The internet is a great place because some dude might swoop by and leave some neat stuff.

Like this
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ04PwFvui1BCUAE9wxmOqHE51mrDv8Ui

I've toured north america, have performed in europe, have released multiple full length albums, engineer shit constantly, have music placed in mainstream television shows

but yeah. i think autistic best describes me.

i think the most important thing at this point is to think about the main point of the KLF book and work with that. you're going to want to be in a city that has multiple actual venues to perform at, not be a dick to bands you look up to, be gracious with your fans and work your ass off. you're going to need to constantly watch youtube videos [they help, but the best question is asking the right questions, not knowing all the answers] and putting time into things. we got lucky for what we've done, but its been years and has taken a lot of time and has cost friendships.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF323DDC21E6DC960

not the guy you're replying to but i literally just finished the new 46 minute found footage KLF video and i'm listening to the chill out album, it's just a shitty little coincidence but still, what the fuck

oh, and as for OP, i'm hardly in the position to give advice as i haven't been able to make a decent track despite producing for the past few years but i still managed to book shit and have james ferraro listen to my stuff (long story, lol) through the magic power of "fuck everything, persistence is all"

i guess music is like assymetric warfare, a five million dollar armored vehicle can be shredded by a barely literate dirt farmer and a decent amount of fertilizer, and likewise an absolute beginner mucking about in FL12 can create the next big thing that'll put kanye to shame through persistence

>have james ferraro listen to my stuff (long story, lol)
wut
how did it happened ? what did he think of your stuff ?

the film is called 'naked"

some time ago i accidentally found a way to crap out several EP length noise albums in an hour, i guess that strictly speaking it was more musique concrete because it was all samples but whatever, anyways i stumbled upon james ferraros' bandcamp or soundcloud (can't quite remember), i was never a particular fan and frankly i always considered him a needlessly grim 2deep4u annoying rich kid, but anyways i was bored and i sent him a message telling him what i think about his music as a relative outsider, didn't really feel the need to whore out my crappy project but later that day all of my albums suddenly had multiple listens, which was odd because literally nobody knew about this nor did i link it anywhere. i never got a reply from ferraro and i have no idea if he ever commented on it, i guess the story isn't as amazing as you might have expected but it's a dumb little anecdote

Movie called "naked"

lol giraffage DJed my tracks in one of his sets at a festival

the internet is a powerful thing

how??

giraffage is fucking trash

lol i mean i agree i don't like his music but he's popular

definitely thought it was cool at the time, given that all i ever did was just post my music to my sc and i somehow kind of got big