Come And See
The Ascent

Patton
Cross of Iron
Kelly's Heroes
Das Boot

I wouldn't say BEST....

But Kelly's Heroes is p retty great all around

Something something a bunch of movies with Germans as main characters.
Yo expect anything else from Sup Forums?

Saving Private Ryan is probably the best WWII movies for a combination of story, (decent) accuracy, production value, battles, and characters.

Depending on what you value your choice for best WWII movies will be different, but as I think due to having a very high rating in almost every category (even if it isn't "the best") makes Saving Private Ryan, as an all-around choice, the best WWII movie made.

This. Battle scene at the beginning is seriously one of if not the best in all of WWII movies.

>Spielberg movie filled with cliches
>Best WWII movie

ok

Saving Private Ryan is literally only good for the battle scene for the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes. The hour and a half in between is boring as fuck.

Saving Private Ryan
Triumph of the Will (as a way of understanding nazi fanaticism)
Inglorious Basterds
Das Boot
Patton

The Longest Day
Patton
The Bridge Over the River Kwai
The Great Escape
The Dirty Dozen

For "all round" Id say enemy at the gate is better

>Saving Private Ryan is literally only good for the battle scene for the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes. The hour and a half in between is boring as fuck.

No it's not, you're just a pleb.

>Come and see

Love this meme.

five graves to cairo

The Thin Red Line

That movie is beautiful. I even like the invocation of the woman-left-home-betrayal cliche and that Jesus from Passion definitely got cast for playing Jesus in this one.

Das Boot.

Kellys heroes. Best war movie that I have seen. Otherwise I don't really like the genre that much.

Bridge over the river Kwai might have the most anticipating ending of any movie ever. It's incredible

Couple of old films not on the usual front for you

The Desert Rats (1953) and
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)

desert rats' is genuinely brilliant, sand of iwo jima's more sort of a bit of fun really.

The Human Condition trilogy is GOAT

They are only cliche because Spielberg made them.

>mfw Bren > Spandau

not to mention sending a squad to rescue some guy is a bullshit plot.

For an anti-gun Britbong he seems to be pretty competent at understanding firearms, at least better than most of /k/.

Bridge Too Far
Patton
Das Boot
Great Escape
Tora Tora Tora
Kelly's Heroes.

>spend weeks pushing carts, digging trenches and trudging through horrid conditions
>be the lucky or unlucky (depending on your perspective) guy to get a shot a minute into actual fighting

Das Boot
Thin Red Line

>Spend days rolling in a fucking steal box in the desert.
>Finally get to go against the Brits holding the line at El Alamein
>Get blown apart by Brit anti-tank gun

Schindler's list
Enemy at the gates
The pianist

Flags of our fathers was good if i remember correctly

What did you folks think of Valkyrie?

I have a love hate relationship with this film, but it definetly has a unique perspective which is refreshing.

Longest day is one of my favorites. Great cast

BoB and The Pacific

Letters from Iwo Jima is way better kino. Honestly I believe it to be one of the GOAT WW2 movies

In an odd place between a blockbuster action flick and dramatic war cinema. Maybe it was because, if they'd committed to a classic, American action formula, the Germans would've been displeased as this would have made a mockery of Stauffenberg, and, if they'd made it too dramatic and serious, no American would have watched it because they were braindead even before comicshit's rise to prominence.
I was only disappointed by having bought a ticket to a thoroughly mediocre film, but on the other hand Tom Cruise was in it and he was cool to watch so I'm not even that pissed.

apocalypse now

Guns of the Navaronne

I also vaguely remember their accents sounding cheap*

underrated post right here folks

>WW2
I'll see your Bren and raise you a MG42

Band of brothers isnt a movie but it's god-tier

Ice Cold in Alex

best beer commercial in history

This is going to be a dreadful fucking thread but I'd be talking shite if I said I wasn't absolutely delighted to see people getting enthusiastic about Ice Cold in Alex.

Die Bruecke (West Germany, 1957)

>likes Spielbergmovies
>calls other people plebs

Nice to see you /r/movies

this has to be bait

Das Boot.

Von Ryan's Express
The Great Escape
Ice Cold in Alex
In Which We Serve

If you are looking for movies that have a bleak outlook on the war, check these out.

The Human Condition trilogy, Fire on the Plain and the Burmese Harp are pretty damn Kino experiences from the Pacific or SE-Asia theater of war. I also recommend Die Brücke -movie (1959 version).

>thinks its cool to hate spielberg
>literally the most influential director alive

why is Sup Forums full of such hipster try hard faggots that think its cool to try and be different ?

You got memed.

Life Is Beautiful /La Vite é Belle.

Band of Brothers, fuck you it counts.

>all those flies

I thought they were scratches in the film at first.

Das Boot
Die Brücke
Stalingrad

Fuck all your american "we the good guys bro" movies.
Kelly's Heroes is good though.

Make sure to watch the 1985 version which is the superior one

This is one of the best WW2 movies out there, especially the handheld tracking shot long takes from the soldiers' POV are incredible.

When I saw the battle, my thoughts were "this feels like a video game", in the sense that bullets were shown to be scary and popping out into open space would clearly get you shot.

I like Spielberg but he isn't anywhere near Welles or Hitchcock.

Patton and Tora Tora Tora are at the top. Saving Private Ryan is an overrated meme movie and every other melodramatic 'le war is hell' flick is at the bottom.

>Patton
>Cross of Iron
>Kelly's Heroes
>Das Boot

This.

I'd also add "Battle of Britain" and "Best Years of our Lives."

They're not even the same class, dood. MG42 is like a emplacement machine gun.

fuck off