Can anything worthwhile ever come from shows like this?

Can anything worthwhile ever come from shows like this?

Would icons like Sinatra or Elvis have participated in them if they were young and unknown today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a6dxNsWMb_E
youtube.com/watch?v=xRA5Rh5SuTM
youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

American Idol has not necessarily created an icon, but a lot of big names. The Voice hasn't done shit.

>American Idol has not necessarily created an icon, but a lot of big names
Anyone respectable?
Non-American, no idea who got big off American Idol.

>The Voice hasn't done shit.
I thought it was pretty much the same thing as American Idol.

bump

no the issues with those shows is that they kill any creativity the artists have
you can only pick songs they choose and have to sing them a certain way.

both of those artist would have lost 1st round .

Kelly Clarkson flim senpai

This.

The aim of these shows is to make a marketable artist, not a legend. They basically say as much throughout the show, discussing the singers' appearance, sound, and giving them exaggerated sob story backgrounds

But isn't that true for showbizz in general?

I mean, Sinatra or Elvis weren't calling the shots either early on, were they?

Don't you think they would have risen above the format of today's talent shows?

>Can anything worthwhile ever come from shows like this?
No
>Would icons like Sinatra or Elvis have participated in them if they were young and unknown today?
Nope

sage

these shows exist to entertain normies and make money, not foster creativity and good music.

Kelly Clarkson, Carrie underwood, Jennifer Hudson. That's it

Respectable enough for mainstream radio pop. Kelly had some good pop rock in the early mid 00s

This is the only person I've ever seen from one of these shows that has actually impressed me.

youtube.com/watch?v=a6dxNsWMb_E

But yeah by and large these places are where creativity goes to die. Even with the few legitimately expressive and sincerely talented vocalists, they generally don't go any farther than just making generic pop music on their own.

It's a shame really. The last vocalist I can think of with the same kind of technical prowess as some of these singers and also did something creative with it was Jeff Buckley.

>Can anything worthwhile ever come from shows like this?
see
so no

stand out talented singers, and the likes who actually write their own stuff, still make it the traditional way. Amy Winehouse for example, signed after she sent a demo tape to a label

Olly Murs is ok

>not posting her best performance

youtube.com/watch?v=xRA5Rh5SuTM

Body mass index pop awards?

oh shit that's the Creep girl.

youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

These people are usually really fucking tacky, but she killed it.

No because they only pick Christina-style artists because normies equate loud boistrous singing with lots of vocal gymnastics as really really good and the pinnacle of music

>The 64th annual BMI Awards took place on 10th May, 2016, with Taylor Swift winning the first Taylor Swift award.
Highly specific awards.

>Would icons like Sinatra or Elvis have participated in them if they were young and unknown today?
Of course.
They were record company creations who had other people write their songs for them just like the Voice people.

Elvis reincarnated as Adam Lambert, scored the second place at American Idol and went on to have a pop career and sing live for Queen.