Albums that have a personal meaning to you

This album helped me get through an existential depression a few years ago.

What is an album that carries personal meaning to you and the story behind the connection?

Ziggy is the only album ever that made me cry, and I don't even know why. Every time I listen to it I feel kind of magically nostalgic. Although, I don't have any special memories connected with it, but it is still very special for me, and will always be my favourite album.

There was a period of time before when I first heard this where I was getting over a rough patch and Separator really hit close to home
>it's like I'm falling out of bed from a long and lonely dream
>finally I am free of all the weight I've been carrying

This album was the album that inspired me to start record collecting when I was 15, which got me into a LOT of new music and gave me a new hobby to be happy about.

This album helped me cope with the loss of my father

Pete gave me the weirdest look when I told him "Hospice saved my marriage" as he was signing it. He couldn't comprehend how his tragic end could possibly resonate in a way to actually help a salvageable relationship.

OP here, totally agree with you. I know it sounds stupid but for at least two years I was very upset by the fact that I was going to die, and that my childhood days of innocence were gone. So the nostalgic feeling you described resonated with me very deeply. Surely my favourite album as well.

I totally sperged out when I met him, I tried to tell him that it helped me through a bad breakup and I just came off as a mumbling retard
He seems nice though

It's an album that came out when I was 20. My father had just died, and I had just quit a drug habit (for the first time -- I'd later relapse and it would be years before that stuck).

I understand this is a band that's discussed in jokey, ridiculous terms here. And this is defintiely an album that's equal parts silly and fascinating. But this is an album that came out at a time in my life where the culture I engaged with, the music and the movies and the books that I consumed, were the handrails that I leaned on walking back to something that resembled a stable life. I was a shitty, nerd, prog-rock kid that was circling the drain, so this is one of the buoys that kept me engaged and interested in the world to stick around.

I can't even listen to this shit anymore. But it was the soundtrack through an absurdly difficult time, and I'm still here today as a grown-ass man who shitposts on a korean comics web BBS.

So I figure that counts for something.

I love this band and particularly this album. Again, most probably think its shit. But it was the soundtrack to my Senior year. It also catapulted me into prog for years to follow.

Right now is still my means of attempting to deal with depression. Prior to this I was abused and manipulated by people whom I thought I could trust. I always had depression ever since I was young and thoughts of suicide were there since childhood. The more I grew the more I grew aware of them, the more I was frightened by them and the more I felt this feeling.

I had fits of anger in schools I could not control, losing it couple of times, self harming, all that shit. It went on for years, now all those people I've loved who actually abused me or mocked me are gone and I am with better people, but I feel sort of fucked up.

Nothing too major, just my first step into Death Metal territory. I still prefer it over most of their discography, not just for nostalgia.

same vein, my man. Trent's earlier works were the most cathartic thing i'd ever experienced.

This album opened my eyes. I started exploring music: first shoegaze, than i went deeper in the genres i knew and the ones i didnt and now ill always find what i need in music and i love it. I dont care that its a Sup Forums meme or hipster bait or whatever, but this enabled me to find and enjoy heavier stuff. Plus, the first time i heard it i thought that i found the sound that ive been looking for in my entire life. It stuck with me for days, then for weeks, and now i can say that its gonna be a part of my soul forever.

Also to bring up the effect it had on my life: when all else fails in an unpleasant social situation i just put this on and i can just "focusout" and then deal with whatever im facing. To be more concrete, without Loveless and without the musical universe it had revealed to me i couldnt have passed high school (especially the final years), and i wouldnt be able to keep working in my shitty job and hope for something better. Even when i feel absolutely alienated from everything this is my go-to to feel human.

Before seeing knights of cydonia on television i'd just listen to the radio and whatever shitty songs I could find on the internet/youtube at dialup speed.
After buying this album and listening to it hundreds of times I bought their other albums and loved those as well as well as radiohead.
I just so happened to find an interview in a muse fan forum about how one of the band members of muse mocked slipknot and at that point I didn't even know what metal/punk/etc was, all I knew was radio pop and rock. Literally the most important album to me though I can't listen to it anymore.

This, for me

listened to it on an ipod that I snuck into suicide prevention every night and cried myself to sleep

That's so fucking sad user

hope you are ok

Kid A really did that for me.

Listening to it now I can hear all the flaws that my grade 10 self didn't give a damn about, but this album really got me through the shittiest of breakups and helped me realize that shit doesn't always stay the same and that we are always growing etc etc. Don't know how a heavy scottish accent singing the word cunt too much in his songs can be helpful, but it was.

>This album helped me get through an existential depression a few years ago.
HAHAHAHAAHHA

I'm doing much better than I was then, thanks for the kind words

Still not happy, but at least there's hope now and I can enjoy things again

I have attempted and almost succeeded suicide multiple times when I hit bottom. When I wasn't figuring out when/how to get it done, I usually had this record on. Depression tends to make one lose interest in everything, and that included music regardless of how much I enjoyed it at one point. But the sheer visceral and abrasive power on display in this record when played on higher volumes kinda force the listener to feel it whether they like it or not. It's a pretty big part of why people who often go through tough times are also fans of abrasively visceral music as well. My most listened to record as well at over 500 listens as a result.

Hope you're doing better now. Nicely done on the sneaking it in I guess. I argued with a different person on staff everyday for me to have music to listen to in some form, and every day it was a no. Sure it was nice that they had some Bach, Mozart, and Gershwin in the art therapy room thing, but idk if me or really anyone on the floor was in the right mindset to really listen to that stuff. Didn't even let one of the staff members let me have a philosophy article he printed out for me to read since the two of us used to talk about that kinda stuff.

It takes quite a bit of time and thus, patience for things to truly start getting better. Keep soldiering on, famallama.

They are discussed in jokey ridiculous terms, but I think that's because most ultimately admit that particularly their first two records are great.

>I can't even listen to this shit anymore
I know this feel. For about the past year I have slowly been trying to get back into Public Castration by listening to the occasional track here and there, but it's still tough because of what I immediately associate it with.

Great story and great taste, hope you are getting better user