Is this worth listening to. I've never heard it and I feel almost embarrassed by the idea of it...

Is this worth listening to. I've never heard it and I feel almost embarrassed by the idea of it, the concept of hearing the Sex Pistols and liking it and becoming a Sex Pistols fans is dreadful I almost want it to be bad. Everyone's always assured me it's not an important record but I'm starting to get curious

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wjmh52fkQJA
youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9r8LMU9bQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bFHEuKkTa5k
youtube.com/watch?v=XdUtborIaiU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jesus christ just listen to it and decide for yourself if you like it. Especially if you're that curious

It sounds like punk rock: the cliches
That's because it invented the cliches
Just give it a try and see if you like it

overrated, not that good. that being said it might be one of the most important albums ever made regardless of the quality

It's an album that shook up the world in a profound way, changed the music industry and spawned a lot of genres. It's influence is undeniable.

That being said it's a great punk album. Angry youth angst anthems sung by Lydon are allright by me.

>that being said it might be one of the most important albums ever made

there were no important albums made in the 20th century though

Sup Forums has shit opinions, just listen to it if you really want

it's a really fucking good bit of rock n roll. anthemic guitar work, rotten's snarl, what's not to love?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII AM AN ANARKIEST

god the vocals are so annoying

Shit, 3 memorable tracks at most.

Listen to The Clash, The Jam or The Stranglers for proper British punk.

the clash is fucking awful and barely qualifies as punk

>recs the fucking Clash and not Damned

End your shitty life.

OP here I'm listening to it, now I've listened to a shitton of music so it's not just that I'm new but I don't think I've ever heard the Sex Pistols outside of clips during punk rock documentaries. This is less messy than I remember it being, way more professional, I kind of had this memory of a band that could barely play in time or in key. Which would be fine, I mean if that's what it was I might still enjoy it, but listening to it now that's not what it is at all.

On track 4, only really good song so far is No Feeling. The rest could be Green Day songs, or Bryan Adams songs for fucks sake. I guess we're just used to this now

sid vicious was the only seriously untalented member, and he only performs on like a single track of the album

its actually good

>barely qualifies as punk

Because they could actually play their instruments? Their debut record was more refined, contextual and culture forming than anything the Sex Pistols could have made.

idea: put that shit down and listen to good punk

Yes. They could also sing.

Live they were awful. Steve Jones is a solid musician though and carried them in the studio.

If you look up their last show, (winter wonderland or something in San Francisco) you can get a full taste of how shitty Sid Vicious really was

Yes I'd say a lot of the record is a little bit too much forced competency, it has this 50th take vibe.

No Feelings like I mentioned is great and Anarchy in the UK unsurprisingly, last four tracks of the record sounds like really shit Velvet Underground imitations. Submission isn't too bad but it finishes weak

Also I actually liked the vocals it's one of the high points

Glad I gave it a try, it's something like a 5/10 or 6/10, proves music doesn't have to be good to be important which is a lesson I approve of.

>Because they could actually play their instruments
no, because they sound like the fucking pop group

youtube.com/watch?v=Wjmh52fkQJA

how the fuck is this pop music

youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9r8LMU9bQ

how the fuck is this punk music

youtube.com/watch?v=bFHEuKkTa5k

we can do this all night. the clash were at their core a punk band and later experimented. just like the jam and the stranglers did.

the original quote
>the clash is fucking awful and barely qualifies as punk
is just plain wrong

This.

They are still shit. Not that punk = good, but I don't understand why people desperately need to label them punk when they obviously did not play punk.

>is just plain wrong

No, it is simply true. The band is not good, nor is it punk.

Mate, everyone knows they ended up selling out with Rock The Casbah and Should I Stay Or Should I Go. It led them to their breakup. Before that though, they had their roots in punk rock, before branching off and experimenting with reggae, ska, jazz, rockabilly, funk, gospel, etc. Hardly a bloody pop band.

I like some punk music, but god, thank fuck The Clash outgrew it. As great as their debut is, the reason they are one of the greatest bands of that era is because they evolved.

Kek, John Lydon wishes he could record a song of this quality

youtube.com/watch?v=XdUtborIaiU