So why didn't they use the eagles?

So why didn't they use the eagles?

no meme answers pls

Plot hole

because nobody wants to pay for a movie that lasts for 5 minutes.

real answer: Tolkein was a hack who made shit up as he went along
lore answer: the eagles are lazy americunts who only enter a war when it's pretty much won.

>ask a meme question
>no meme answers pls

Grandalf didnt trust the Eagles to have knowledge about the Ring. they would have dropped Frodo to his death then claimed it as their own.

>the Lord of the Rings took 19 years to write.
>'Tolkien made shit up as he went along'

is Reddit closed for the day?

can this thread make it to 200+ replies?

I don't know, but I'll do my part.

Nobody - not Gandalf, nor Elrond, nor even Galadriel, can make the Eagles do anything. They simply do as they will, when they will. And, even if they could be convinced to do such a thing, it would play the Fellowship's hand too openly. Gandalf's only hope for destroying the Ring was that it might be possible for a small party, traveling light, to reach Mordor and sneak across its wastes to Mt. Doom without attracting attention, so that by the time Sauron realized what was happening, it would be too late to stop. Frodo & Sam ultimately managed to do just that.

That was his writing style. He would write a draft with no concrete plan, see where the story went, and if he didn't like it he would start again.

>He really thinks Europe was winning
>He really thinks Russia was on Europe's side

I don't think that's right. Actually, I think it's pretty retarded.

What's up with their faces?

you wanna know how i know your a newfag

Naw that guy was pretty spot on I just reread the books. Eagles would have gotten killed by wraiths if they had been observed earlier flying towards Mordor from such a long distance.

because muh hobbits

their response wouldnt be quickly enough

Wer're talking about eagles here, not fighter jets. There's plenty of time once you see them on the horizon.

Because the eye of Sauron would spot them and kill them.

I don't really give a shit just explain the faces

They are intelligent and would have been corrupted by the influence of the ring

Lurk moar you stupid redditor

Fuck off

why didn't gandalf just shrink fremo so he could ride that stupid moth to murder totally undetected?

They were on tour and had a gig in Austin they couldn't miss

Ever heard of "diversion"? I thought Tolkien had fought the great war.

Unrelated:
I noticed that there is a pretty big division between the movies and the books about the Ring, that is, the fact that in the book they make it rather clear that it has different powers based on who is wielding it and that great magicians like Gandalf or his friends could actually control it, but they are worried about Sauron 2 the revenge.
In the movies is rather something that only Sauron can control and seems even rather useless.

Don't talk to me that way you scum. I would freaking kill you in real life.

Can't shrink le magic ring.

the ring adapts its size to the creature wearing it so that's not an issue

>Why didn't Gandalf teleport the ring into the fires of Mt. Doom?

Because that's not one of his powers.

Autistic Plothole Defense Force: activate!

>Nazgul can fly
They would have been struck down the second they entired Mordor airspace.

Because that's now how Eagles work. That's like asking why they built a giant moon-shaped battle station in Star Wars

>doesn't know what a plothole is

*not

If men evolved from hobbits why are there still hobbits?

Why didn't the elves help Frodo more?

I was thinking about that the other day. It made sneaky hobbits sneakier. What would it do to a dwarf?

What did it actually do for Sauron? Superhuman strength? That doesn't seem that great desu senpai

Most elves were fleeing middle earth at the time.
>not wanting to alert Sauron by marching elven armies towards Gondor.
>elves are kind of assholes

tell me about Isildur's Bane!
why does it corrupt the hearts of men?

Make them richer. The ring will give you everything you desire. It doesn't work the way it's supposed to on hobbits because people like Frodo and Sam don't really want anything unlike men, who desire life, dwarves who desire gold, and elves who desire to preserve the magic in the world

It gave Gollum, a former hobbit, great longevity, so there goes your theory.

"If I pull that off, will you die?"
"It would be extremely painful"

Enhances his powers of magic and domination and such. Controls the other rings If he gets the ring back he controls the other ring bearers.

Not at all. Like I said, it doesn't work the way it's supposed to on hobbits. That means it does all sorts of things LIKE extend smeagol's life. You'll notice that Smeagol is addicted to the ring itself, not the power or the life it gives him. It affects him in a unique way

So no. No there does not go my theory

>th-that was a special case!

frodo wasn't wearing it though, he was just carrying it

Why didn't they just ride a big ass elephant into mordor?

The lesser dwarven rings did make them richer. I imagine the ring would grant anyone longevity. Men it seems to offer power of I had to guess.

How does the ring make people richer? that's not a superpower you don't know what you are talking about

well like in rpgs - the ring has an enchantment so when the dwarf loots a corpse they find rare items.

the fellowship represented yurop and eagles are haram

>Reddit to this day STILL thinks Gandalf meant "fly" as in "jump on eagles and fly lmao" and not the obvious "fly" as in "fucking run".
>Reddit still can't explain why when Gandalf came back he didn't go "Why didn't you find the eagles? I told you dumb assholes to fly."

Some of the people here got it mostly right, but here is how it really is:

The Eagles were self centered lazy fucks that couldn't be bothered to do anything unless they owed a favor, were begged by "close" associates, or felt compelled because they realize they might actually die.

A rough summation of what Gwaihir said to Gandalf.
First Rescue:
>Fuck you
>I'm only doing this as a favor to that shit smelling Radagast fuck
>I'm not your taxi, I'm dropping you off in Rohan, get yourself a fucking horse.

Rescue Two:
>Gettin real tired of your shit, man
>That Elf bitch would not stop bothering me.. so HERE I AM.. fuck!
>Hey.. you feel much lighter than you did last time
>How about I let you go and your ass can float down! haha! Just kidding....

It helped them find their fortunes and made them more successful in financial ventures. It also eventually led them to ruin through stupid ideas like trying to make Moria great again.

Wasn't Moria already great and thriving and without disturbing the Balrog?

I thought they fucked up because they went deeper than ever to get more mithril.

Rewatch the movies. It's film, so, it's not going to give a written explanation about everything. It's obvious that Gandalf fears the ring's corruption. He never touches the ring once, or the palantir. There's a good 10-20 minutes in the fellowship that demonstrate Gandalf tripping balls about the ring. And then with Galadriel "passing the test". Cmon user

I think being hundreds of years old you'd be used to idiots not listening. He just left it at that

I watched the special editions all in one day recently.

In Fellowship he says 'Fly'

In The Two Towers they change it to 'Run' in the flashbacks at the start.

People forget about the eye of Sauron.
>Not being able to see a giant eagle/'s flying in the backdrop of a clear blue sky

That's true. The problem was they kept going back despite the Balrog being there.

I always saw it like this.

>Commen Effect
Gives longevity in life while creating an addiction to the ring, and obsession.

>Hobbits
All Hobbits really want is to be left alone, live and let live. Go without being noticed. Basically makes them literally invisible.

>Elves
Preserve their powerful magic, as well as being stronger in it. Giving them the power to protect their territories.

>Men
Make them powerful and be able to dominate their people and rule. Something that all men are tempted with.

>Dwarf
Make them be able to find richest, build amazing machinery. What all dwarfs care about.

canon

>All Hobbits really want is to be left alone, live and let live. Go without being noticed. Basically makes them literally invisible.
so why did isildur go invisible when he put the ring on, faggot? is he a hobbit?

He means Balin and his expedition.

Because in that moment, he wanted to be invisible

Tolkiens responds to this was basically the eagles said "nypa fags"

Thror tried to do it as well.

>fly eagles to mordor
>nazguls attack eagles
>ring goes back to sauron

so why couldn't the ring just fly frodo to mount doom if he wanted to get there so bad?