Before Bjork becomes popular:

Before Bjork becomes popular:
>"Bjork finally deserves a place next to the great songwriters of her times".

>"Bjork proved to be a first-rate interpreter, and a rightful heir to both sofisticated jazz singers and avant-garde vocalists."

And rated her #9 on "Greatest 'rock' female singers of all times"

After Bjork got popular:
>"The first impression with Bjork's music is always of something terribly trivial, obnoxious and, ultimately, boring"

>"Just like the Beatles before her, Bjork has made trivial pop music enhanced with studio wizardry"

>"Anybody who thinks Bjork is a genius should try to listen at least to Solex. Let your ears, not 'publicity', judge."

>" her voice is still an acquired taste '(never acquired by me)'.

He sounds like a contradicting jackass

solex is literally generic lolsoquirky plunderpop I don't see how she is all that special

but anyway yeah Bjork is overrated trash. Tujiko Noriko is much superior to her

>when you pull a Scaruffi on Scaruffi

That's great, but he put her on, "Greatest 'rock' female singers of all times". Which doesn't make any sense in the context of his later reviews. The reason why he's purposely being an blunt asshole is purely for publicity himself, so people click and read his shitty geocities website.

Being a good singer doesn't mean you make good music, Elvis Presley had one of the best voices in rock, nobody would put him near the top in terms of his music or call him a genius

His criticism is always biased towards contrarianism. You can always notice that in a lot of his more in depth reviews (The Velvet Underground, Beefheart, etc) he spends a significant portion of the review romanticizing the musicians and their lives, where they lived, etc. Coincidentally, he often mentions these artists being rejected by society and living in squalor. He is too nostalgic for the idea of a single artist as an auteur to be taken seriously as a critic.

In his review of To Pimp a Butterfly, a significant portion of the text was spent obsessing over the multitude of artists that Kendrick brought on to collaborate on the project. He criticized the album for being too unfocused and all over the place, which he ascribed to the idea that there were too many artists pulling the album in too many different directions. When you listen to the album, however, it becomes clear this is not the case. The album does have stylistic variety certainly, but most can agree it is remarkably focused on a few themes and ideas, and the story that is explored. It is at least more focused than albums he has praised, such as Sing to God or Trout Mask Replica. But since those albums fit into his ideal romantic vision of a single artist toiling away on an album without help, he praises them. Despite the fact that Kendrick clearly brought on a talented set of artists to aid in his own personal vision, Scaruffis biases prevent him from hearing this.

bjork's peak popularity was in the 90s, vespertine was when things started to decline in terms of her relevancy with the general public

so what did we learn from this? scaruffi is retarded and a very low quality meme, use your time thinking of someone else :)

He literally said, "her voice is still an acquired taste '(never acquired by me)'." and, "Bjork is a plastic fantastic vocalist" while apparently being on the list of greatest female singers

>literally generic lolsoquirky plunderpop
if your dad read this he'd think you're a fag

This. In a nutshell, he just wants to appear edgy and alternative.

I'd actually say it's around that period due to Dancer in the Dark, and the Oscars too. The media flipped out over a fucking Swan dress

>Bjork deserves a place next to the great SONGWRITERS of her times

Tastes change over time? Dude used to have TVU&N as well as The Doors at a 9.5 as well.

I get that, but I have the right to call you a contradicting jackass if you call her one of the best female singers of all times, then say you never liked her voice.

i love scaruffi, but this is a valid criticism of his methodology. i still think he's a great critic, though. where do people get the idea that you have to disregard a critic if their tastes and biases don't totally correlate with their own? i like scaruffi because he has interesting things to say, even if i don't always agree with him.

>Tujiko Noriko
If you cannot speak Japanese fluently you have no way of determining that

Also kys weeaboo trash

And now for the greatest review of all time! Me, Piero Scaruffi, The Musical Genius, shall review the sound of 10000 penises ejaculating at once!
*SPLURT*
Oh no! It's too much jizz! I can't handle it! Noohhjjgfhfkgjhfjgkjjhkfgjkh

is this jerkcity

Solex is fucking amazing, but I do like Bjork too and don't really think they're that comparable. Only thing I can think that they have sort of in common is that they both have somewhat uncommon singing styles and that they both could be considered "electronic music" as broad as that is.

Certainly, his opinions are interesting, as they frequently deviate from the opinions of mainstream critics and fans. But, for me at least, they are too inherently flawed to be taken as anything other than novelty. However, if you can gain some worth out of his writing despite any flaws then all the better for you.

Popularity has nothing to do with it, the fact is, he doesn't think much of any of her albums post-Homogenic

That's great, but he's obviously contradicting himself in these reviews. I find it slightly suspicious that he decided to go, "harsh" when her rise in popularity started, and diminishing what his statements in the past. "The first impression with Bjork's music is always of something terribly trivial, obnoxious and, ultimately, boring"

>giving higher priority to lyrical content over vocal skill
how to spot a plebe 101

It's apparent from the very first paragraph that he didn't have much of an opinion of her to begin with, despite several good scores (sugary pop with good arrangements is still sugary pop). He simply became harsher as she released albums which, in his opinion, exposed her underlying weaknesses as an artist. Not really a contradiction.

Why did I laugh at this.

>''It's apparent from the very first paragraph that he didn't have much of an opinion of her to begin with''
>Considered her one of the greatest female rock ringers of all time
>Not a contradiction

not true, Kanye had just as many collaborators on MBDTF and Scaruffi praised the shit out of that album

Kedndrickfags need to just admit that TPAB was mediocre jazz-rap revival

>(never acquired by me)

MY SIDES

>Tujiko Noriko (...)
Which release of hers should I start with?
Thanks in advance.

From Tokyo to Naiagara; U
(she doen't sound like bjürk btw)

If you want people to take your points seriously you shouldn't speak in memes.