Where do I start with Hitchcock?

Where do I start with Hitchcock?
I was thinking Rear Window, but I know that people also rate Psycho and Vertigo highly. What's the best introduction to his work?

Also general Hitchcock discussion.

really? fuck you Sup Forums

Do a 360 and walk away right now. This master of suspense is like your one gay buddy who has started way more hand-jobs than he has finished to completion.

Psycho

You should start with Psycho, it's his most accessible movie. Then you can watch Rear Window, which is his most comfy, and Rope, which is pretty short and has a neat story. I'm not a big fan of Vertigo, but you'll probably want to check it out too.

Rear Window only.

And only if you have to because it shows you that he just was great at misdirection, there is nothing deep about any of his films though. He is simply a hack, like Stephen King. Write enough and eventually something sticks. But how many perfect wife murdering plots can one man tease.

Hitchcock Starter Kit

1. Psycho
2. Rear Window
3. The Birds
4. Vertigo
5. North By Northwest

You should watch Rope, too. Watch that at anytime.

Start with North by Northwest and Strangers on a Train
Then Rear Window,
The Birds and Rope,
Psycho,
Rebecca and Shadow of a Doubt,
Finally, Notorious and Vertigo
Frenzy and Dial M For Murder if you liked everything else
The 39 Steps and The lady Vanished if you're interested in his relatively early movies (he started with silents but I've heard they're not very good)
Spellbound and Marnie if you still want more

>those are the people calling you embryo in Sup Forums

*The Lady Vanishes

Lifeboat is a lot of fun too.

an actual fan and not a casual in a hitch thread, refreshing

Rear Window and Psycho.
Vertigo is very overrated

north by northwest
vertigo
rebecca
rear window
then watch all jimmy stewart's other movies
then watch them all again.

psycho has aged really badly. as has the birds. hitchcock's best movies are as above with rope being great only when you are a jimmyfag. his best non-jimmy stewart movie is definitely rebecca. patrician's choice for best.

rear window to north by northwest has to be the GOAT run of movies ever. three of the best movies of all time in five years.

>Vertigo is very overrated

only on /Sup Forums, folks! Every time.

you're saying it's not user?

>Take Cinema 101 class
>Instructor is a failed soap-opera actor and cinema nazi.
>We form three people groups and each has to write a paper about one of the films we saw.
>No one wants to write about Rear Window.
>Not a single person in the class wants to write about Rear Window.
>I man up and write about it.
>Get an A+

It was all about the diegetic sound baby.

Shit was SO cash.

Best:
Under Capricorn
Shadow of a Doubt
Vertigo
Psycho
I Confess.

Check out North by Northwest, and then you will have a pretty solid idea of what he is about. You will later be able to pick up things from his earlier films that found their way into that one.

>(he started with silents but I've heard they're not very good)
His second full length film is now a lost film. Upon hearing that no copies of the film were left in existence, Hitchcock was reported as saying good, because it was a terrible movie.

is that from the book Truffaut did with their conversations?

Honestly, I can't remember where I read it, but the movie was The Mountain Eagle.

WATCH ALL THE CLASSICS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER YOU FUCKING KNOB

Vertigo

I liked The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes much more than NbNW. They're much more fun and charming, with better protagonists than Stewart who never stops whining and looking shocked

I've checked and he does mention that it was a bad film with a ridiculous plot and that the producers sent him an actress that was not good for the role

The Lady Vanishes I liked, butI found The 39 Steps a little bit dry, I don't know how to explain it, I didn't get an emotional connection with the characters

Stewart wasn't in NbNW.

That was Cary Grant.

call me Hitch, hold the cock

savage lmao

Is Birds any good?

Yes.

It's not shit.
tbqh, of all the Hitchcock "classics", it's the one I like the least. It's a decent watch but some special effects aged like shit.

Rear Window is by far his best film. His famous and critically renowned movie Vertigo is so over-rated it makes me sad.

Vertigo is literally his best film. It is only overrated in the sense that there are other films better than it, but none of them are directed by Hitchcock

Vertigo's only complain is that it's too overrated. It's fucking fantastic, user.

Vertigo is pretty overrated but the exterior scene shots of the city are great.

Oh right. Either way I can't stand characters that won't speak up for themselves, especially in an adventure story. It's one thing to be a reluctant hero but another to almost let bad shit happen to you then complain when it happens. I hated Brazil for the same reasons

>All these plebs recommending Psycho
>Nobody mentions Young and Innocent

You disgust me Sup Forums

>I can't stand characters that won't speak up for themselves

But neither Grant, any of the other players, nor the movie itself were anything like that.

Have you even seen North by Northwest?

I know he does object and try to get the cops involved, but it feels really half assed and sort of contrived just to move the plot along. It's just something that personally irks me to no end.

What's there to start with? He's as accessible as can be

>fictional work
>contrived
>moving the plot

Do you even movie, user?

I guess complaining about contrived plot elements for a Hitchcock movie is retarded, but it's my pet peeve and I'm sticking to it

The fuck if that cigar was lit it would be too hot for the bird to chill there at the end.

Ree.

It's absolutely awful. If you watch his other stuff, then watch the birds. You'll be double checking to make sure that it was in fact a Hitchcock movie.

Bang! youre dead

>Entry level Hitchcock:

Psycho
Rear Window
The Birds
Rope
North by Northwest
Vertigo

>True patrician Hitchcock list:

Spellbound
Rebecca
Notorious