What was the point behind the car crash scene?

what was the point behind the car crash scene?

seemed like they were just trying to make sure something bad happened to the badguy

Chigurh is getting kind of old and now he realizes there truly is No Country for Old Men

To see little boys take their clothes off

it's in the fucking tagline you faggot jesus christ.

that evil has the will to persist through disaster

Chigurh was memeing the whole movie about chaos, determinism, etc and then he got memed on himself

He seemed so infallible and organized to the point of compulsion.
Then some shit nobody could control comes about and fucks his shit up.
Also, his interactions with the kids show he's evil only to those he's assigned to kill. It elaborates on how much of a psychopath he was.

Non-story based: It was a memorable shocking twist.

Are you stupid? Did you miss the entire point if the film?

only good answer itt

this

there was a point?

>the entire point if the film
That there is no country for old men?

The joker got joked on.

this

chigurh is like oh i'm a fatalistic deterministic badass ooooh i'm so fucking cool and then the actual randomness of the universe fucks him in the face

>Also, his interactions with the kids show he's evil only to those he's assigned to kill. It elaborates on how much of a psychopath he was.

He was evil and a psychopath. He gave money for the shirt because of his supposed "rules", yet didn't hesitate to betray the man who hired him by going after the money himself.

this. Chigurh believes that he is in full control, as long as he adheres to a set of rules (hence the coin toss). The camera clearly shows us that he is checking the traffic lights before driving over that intersection - and still he has an accident.

I know everyones all HURRR LIFE IS CHAOTIC DURRR BRAVO COENS but i watched it again recently and i thought this prettty cool

so when he kills the wife at the end she refuses to call the coin, cause chigurh says it's up to the coin. "it's just you, it always has been" or something she says. so he kills her and makes him break his entire justification system. So although he gets away, he's been psychologically crippled by it, hence the car crash

pretty cool right? anyway that's just my opinion

To show his mortality. Even if he is a force within the movie, a mostly unstoppable force who leaves death in his wake, he still bleeds and can be surprised

Correct
>mfw plebs itt miss the entire point of his character

Even though he saw himself as a force of nature imparting judgement even he isn't impervious to fate.

Did he get away with the money?

Read some Yeats

He died from internal hemorrhaging.

I don't think so, the mexicans took it from llewellyn iirc

>Also, his interactions with the kids show he's evil only to those he's assigned to kill.
Why did he shoot the bird on the bridge then?

he only couldn't avoid the car crash because he wasn't focused after he killed the girl even though she refused to call the coin. its autism to the nth degree.

>"This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. This is no country for old men."

Are you fucking serious.

You're all over the place. I don't know what you're talking about

A reminder to all of us to obey the traffic signals and always drive defensively.

I like how he insists on that kid taking his money almost forcefully.

it's the rules

Well he was hardly in a position to do any harm to the kids. In that moment he was desperate. That's why he treated them like that. Chigurh is pretty clearly evil otherwise

This scene is a conventional, but certainly not wholly gratifying comeuppance for this permutation of the Coens' Unstoppable Evil trope. This (the car crash) is by far the most grievous injury that Anton sustains in the film, but as far as the movie informs us, Anton is literally still walking, still standing, and still slipping detection when last we see him. The other anons' points about the film's title and tagline are a bit of a meme by now, but they are also well-taken. None of the three principals is a spring chicken.

The motionless body of the other motorist, whom we are to assume is dead (but which we do not see in detail, and therefore have an ambiguity) can be construed as Anton's final victim, whether he actually died or not. Anton's trail of death therefore amounts to anywhere from 11 to 16 bodies (or thereabouts, I'd have to re-count, it's been a while). The /scale/ of the killing is therefore a repetition of the original standoff scene, which itself consists of about a dozen bodies and a dog. In the world of this hard country, violence begets itself very radidly and predictably, repeating itself in rhyme.

Even the body of the final motorist is part of a rhythmic device within Anton's block of killings themselves. The spaces that we repeatedly inhabit over the course of the film are motel rooms, streets, various types of offices, and cars. Recall that Anton dispatches four or five men in or near their vehicles. He even "kills" a /vehicle/ itself as a diversion at one point. All this death, so close to cars themselves, even mirrors the number of vehicles from the original standoff site.

jesus fucking christ guys

your a fucking moron dude

You got a bone stickin our of yer arm.

His entire character was based around chaos, and it can happen to anyone at anytime. I thought Cohen brother pussed out, because Chigurh should have died in the car crash. That would have been way more powerful getting that message across.

suh dude

What happens in the book?

The scene with TLJ and that old guy is top fucking notch tbqhwy lads

sorry, not impressed by your shitty movie

Yeah captain America was way more awesome tight?

he was meant to be an agent of fate

if you fail the coin toss you die. llewelyns wife refused the coin toss but he killed her regardless. He cheated fate so fate punished him with the car crash

Why did this peanut wrapper shot work so god damn well?

Is it because of the absence of any soundtrack so the sound of it unwrapping adds to the tension in the scene?
I love little details like this which I can't decipher why I like them so much

That would be a yes, then.

ok well how about you go eat a boat you dickcheese

No man, No Country for old men was like, so deep man, like chigurhh was like chaos and had rules and stuff and then like, stuff happened and it was like pottery

both of you are on the same level of stupid with posts like that

>There are people itt right now who think Llewellyn is the main character

>assigned to kill

he played by his own rules

More to the point he's not mindlessly evil, nor does he kill if not necessary

>mfw you actually unironically watch capeshit

Yes he does. Like three times during the movie. There's also TLJs entire monologue at the beginning where he talks about senseless, motiveless evil (referring to chigurh)

It was an inversion of expectation.

There were survivors.

>More to the point he's not mindlessly evil, nor does he kill if not necessary

not mindlessly evil and not necessary by his twisted standards. killing the people he carjacked probably wasnt necessary, or carla jean

I love when plebs don't like a certain movie that is considered as great from every aspect by all the credible people, so they feel the need to post how all of the people in the thread that enjoyed the movie are just pretending that they liked it to feel like they are "patrician", and so the pleb justifies his insecurity where he didn't "get" or enjoy a movie so ofcourse everyone else is pretending and he is the real truth revelear

Top kek my dear friend

I think you mean subversion

This
and as others have said, to show that even the agents of chaos can also fall victim to it

He's losing his touch, hence the title.

i do. he was the most interesting one anyway. it's infuriating how they wrote his death

to show that he's not some invincible agent of fate like he likes to think of himself as

This exact thing happened in another thread earlier with 2001. Some twat claimed people only like because they're "supposed to". Sup Forums is full of fucking plebs

You don't even need to "get" it to enjoy it.

To show that he was basically invincible and even in an extreme situation he could find a way out, an escape.

And also that he was not immune to everyday life, stupid shit happened to him too.

He believes he is a tool of fate, which is sealed and unstoppable.

The wife at the end refuses to play his game, even though it would give her a chance to live. She forces him to choose to kill her of his own accord and not chock it up to fate.

The car accident could be seen in two ways: fate snapping back on him for directly choosing to kill the wife, or a final confirmation that he is a man in a random universe and the system he's used to justify his murders is starting to fall apart. Chigurh is either beginning to realize the wife is right and it's all him, or the car accident is only going to re-cement his belief in fate. It's open-ended.

It amazes me how many people have the point of this story fly completely over their heads. Half the people that like it don't even get it.

enlighten us

you're the ones bitching when someone doesn't repeat the same thing said over and over and over again. no one is saying you're pretending. no one cares if you like it. you all are making a lot of stuff up, though

Google it. I'm not about to write a God damn essay

>He believes he his a tool of fate. his game
He didn't give a coin toss to all the mexican gangsters, or the cop or the guy in the car (or others)
So it does seem he adheres to some kind of morality or rule system other than a coin toss

you said enough, poser, give me the excerpt

>omg its 2deep4u fggtz
>google it like I did

wew lawd
at least some people try and come up with their own conclusions

He wasn't exactly in a position to give the whole coin toss spiel in those situations

The Sheriff is the main character. There's your first hint

>the boy takes his shirt off

he only coin tosses for 1v1s

That falls more under his "fate has put these people in the path of a natural disaster; me *adjusts fedora*" thing.

He had to seek out the wife, who had done nothing, and choose to kill her. The coinflip was his way of chocking those questionable kills up to fate.

What could Llewellyn have done?
>transfer money to new package
>find and dispose of transponder
>???

He missed. It's a reference to cold hand luke. Read a whole article on the scene! Could try find it if you are interested?

>only for 1v1
>the wife had done nothing

okay like I said, how about the guy he stole the car from? He was innocent and it was a 1v1 on an empty road

>give bag to police
>go home

That was 2v1 because cars are treated as entities.

Again, that falls under the force of nature mindset.

He sought out the wife and went way out of his way. He couldn't chock that up to fate without the coinflip. It stretched his beliefs too far.

Nice. Thanks user.

>throwing away all that money
fucking moralfags
You mean chilly hand luke?

>throwing away all that money
he would've lived, and so would his waifu. That's one better than being dead (and not even getting the money anyway)

link

You could keep the money and live.

karma is what happened, do good things good things will happen to you. do bad things bad things happen to you.
My name is Earl.

Hm, I think him dying wouldn't have been better.

To show that even he can experience pain.

I have to disagree with people here, I think the scene, more specifically him not dying, shows that nothing can ever really harm sheer chaos and chance.

he did promise Llewellyn that he would kill her

I've just reviewed my DVD, so now I can develop my "car" observation a bit further.

The original Mexican Standoff location consists of something like 9-11 dead bodies, one dead dog, and exactly FIVE vehicles.

Anton not only kills /about as many/ (easily arguably a few more) people, together with the dog that Llewellyn puts down which again mirrors the above scene, but moreover, Anton trashes/kills the drivers of /about as many/ cars. Let's brainstorm:

-Anton kills a deputy, and abandons the deputy's car in favor of a white sedan.

-Anton kills the white sedan's motorist, and later torches that vehicle once he kills The Two Suits and gets their Brown Crossover-Thing.

-in the interim, Anton shoots the driver that Llewellyn accosts (and continues shooting at Llewellyn), banging up that pickup quite a bit.

-later, Anton explodes a Blue Sedan for a diversion.

-much later, Anton breaks down in the Brown Crossover-Thing and swaps for the Chicken Coop Pickup.

-Somehow, Anton ditches for another Sedan. This is what he's driving when the Station Wagon (and its motorist) collide with him.

so I come up with 8 cars that Anton is involved in trashing, somehow. of which the final two are a sort of afterthought, or coda. The point being not a hard count, but that a bunch of vehicles are destroyed over the course of the film, which mirrors the site of the original standoff.

Give this guy some internets. He gets it.

and that's why they died.

You found a truffle-bag of money, and 7 slain mexican corpses around it.

They have fine quality guns.

You have been camping 20 km from your home when you stumble upon this find, what do you do?