Other urls found in this thread:

unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/
researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/LLN-2016-0021/LLN-2016-0021.pdf
biography.com/people/groups/famous-black-scientists
webfiles.uci.edu/mcbrown/display/faces.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African-American_inventors_and_scientists
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I agree. Steve McQueen is based

Manages to be proper Kino and Oscar Bait at the same time. Acting is flawless. It's amazing

I'm curious as to why British negroes are capable of directing good films but American negroes can't direct at all

Nigger culture in America lends itself to degeneracy

There are very few America negro directors

F. Gary Gray and Antoine Fuqua are solid genre directors.

Spike Lee isn't my thing.

I can't think of anyone else

I hate Spike Lee with a passion. If I were ever to use the phrase meme director, it would be to describe him

(You), that movie was shit.

Lol nope. For example compared to children of men this is a 5/10 flick

>Antoine Fuqua
Olympus Has Fallen
Southpaw
The Magnificent Seven

hmm, that's some fairly high profile work

Shame and 12 Years are solid films. Haven't seen Hunger yet.

You can't fault the direction and acting

The british care about the arts and cinema. See why gilliam and kubrick moved there

Children of men is reddit incarnate and pure imdbcore

pic related is the best movie ever directed by a black person

>mfw it's Spike Lee's brother

Hunger is his best imo

No it isn't you fucktard. Stop using your immigration nigger scapegoat. It has gotten more true exponenially every year. What if they find a cure, too late world went to shit

>Muh long takes

I am laughing
You have no idea how to seperate an actually good film with reddit.
>film is so good many watch it
>b but film watchers on imdb liked it just like everyone else
>it must be a shit film
Kys

There are plenty of great films highly rated on both imdb and reddit. Children of Men is not one of them

This. Besides the pretty cinematography it's an objectively shit movie.

Congrats on being a shitposter. This isn't the revenant we are talking about, its perfect because of everything you have shit taste

Lelelelelel actually knowing about reddit and imdb scores

Absolute pleb. And no the top 250 is a joke

You forgot Training Day, The Equalizer, Tears of the Sun, and Shooter you fucking faggot.

T. eternally 16

Seriously this board is fucking dead. 12 years a slave is worthless drivel

I said HIGH PROFILE

That stuff is not as high profile

>Equaliser
>A Denzel Washington film in 2014
>High profile

Meme cinematography and long takes with a dumb sci fi concept doesn't make a great movie
>knowing about reddit and imdb scores
>the top 250 is a joke
Do you see the contradiction there? And no shit it's a joke. Hence why something like Children of Men gets put there. That doesn't mean actually good movies don't have a deservedly high rating

>that 17 minute conversation between Fassbender and Cunningham
was pure kino senpai

A 16 year old would be far more inclined to laud over Children of Men as the greatest movie ever made

Hi r e d. d it

>I have no rebuttal

Best acting I've ever seen on film tbqh

>Meme cinematography and long takes with a dumb sci fi concept doesn't make a great movie
Literally shit critiquing. You sound like you watch for the plot. You actually dont understand the point of filmmaking.

This board is amateur hour

>You sound like you watch for the plot
No. Film is a visual medium. Children of Men is a very plot focused film, so I'm not sure why you think the visuals are the main draw. It's cinematography is flashy in the most obnoxious way, to the point where you become completely aware of it and are taken out of the film. It has a hamfisted message and its symbolism is shoved in your face and put to the forefront.

Hahaha you can't analyse film. I dont know where to start. Its not plot focused its not pro immigration. Its very much a visual film where the visual speak for a lot.

Says someone who knows nothing about acting

Then you have a low standard for what constitutes a purely visual film. Children of Men has heaps of exposition

> Fruitvale Station (2013)
> Creed (2015)
> Black Panther will arrive in 2018.
Ryan Coogler is pretty based.

>Capeshit
Dropped tbqhwyf

>Training Day
>Not high profile

nigga Denzel Washington won best actor at the Oscars and Ethan Hawke was nominated for best support. That movie was about as high profile as a pulpy crime/action movie gets.

What if he delivers the strongest comic book flick to date? A film that transcends the trappings of its genre?

The bar isn't set very high. It could be utter trash and still surpass most capeshit

Impossible

Marvel Studios are really restrictive, that's why they use in-house writers and big name actors/directors don't stick around (Branagh/Wright)

There are a lot of really strong performances as expected from all the big names

I thought it was extermely overrated and very, VERY, boring.

Just another nigger oscar bait movie.

I"m watching it right now

It's the definition of oscar bait, but it's so well directed. Chiwetel Ejiofor is fucking impeccable

Hardly any speaking parts through the first half of the movie. Suddenly immensely long dialog scene in a single shot. Brilliant.

Kinda weird that McQueen only works with Fassbender

It's not that unusual for a director to have a favourite actor who they work with often.

It was a great movie, I especially admire Fassbender's willingness to be such a villain, including the implied pedophilia.

I should have added though that it was stupid and shitty when Pitt showed up. He nearly ruined the movie.

>Deserved to win the awards it did
It did, because it's an award bait film.
Pandering is an art too, after all.

I'm tentatively hopeful. There are many themes that are worth exploring in a BP movie.
I'm a huge Marvel fan but I fear they won't dare to go that route. But the potential is there.

Fassbender is an "actor", he wants whatever role will allow him to show more range

He's not about promoting an image or brand

>never seen a Charles Burnett film
His career was sabotaged over and over by money issues, he deserved a better career.

>Hello there enslaved nergo. I am the only nice white person in the movie here to set you free. The name's Brad Pitt.

>I didn't see the film
All the white people from the town he was from (or even the entire North) and Cumberthatch was quite nice too

>CON PAZ, CON PAZ
Why did he talk to him in Spanish?

>the entire north

the north was more racist of blacks than the south because freed men competed for their jobs

>le give me an oscar movie

On a more serious note; I agree, it was an enjoyable movie. However it is not a 10/10, as I was not left amazed.

i would have made him a typical uneducated slave who had withdrawn into a fictional world where he had a free past/ well to do family / talents

the scene where he plays the violin would have been 20 seconds of him playing beautifully and the room in awe, and 10 of it flashing back to reality where he is playing wrong notes and being laughed at, but has his eyes serenely closed

dies at the end and imagines himself returning to a family that never existed ect

this is an actual experience of slavery instead of some happy magic negro bullshit, its also an infinitely better and more moving, but hollywood is too full of hacks

We're talking about in the film

but it is based on a real story

Though your story does sound better

>magical negro
opposite, Brad Pitt is the magical white man

I think Cumberbatch was the most fair depiction of a slave owner in a movie ever. He's not a bad person, he's just weak willed and driven by profit, and a bit deluded that because he treats them relatively well he's not inherently doing something bad

>Paul Dano a talented method actor never abandoned his role on set. Every line was improvised on the part of Dano including the infamous song which caused quite a stir on set. Dano was originally intended to have much larger role in the film, but after inviting fresh face Lupita Nyong'o out to lunch only to quietly hum the racism hymn Dano was asked to leave set.

That sounds fucking horrible, why do idiots need to shove a fight club-esque twist into any movie?

>actual depiction of slavery instead of some happy negro bullshit
What part of this movie was "happy negro bullshit", or not moving? Why do you need some corny twist to be moved more than him having an actual family that he's torn from?

Is there anything this guy can not do?

its not a twist, it would be established from the beginning that his world was a fictional retreat, its a common reaction to overwhelmingly horrible circumstances

the problem is that the whole thing feels dishonest, he wasn't born a slave, he didn't die a slave, he is constantly portrayed as more 'worthy' than the other slaves; its perpetuating the american myth that hard-work and natural talents make any situation possible to overcome, when slavery was actually insurmountable

Actors fucking love that shit, it's more fun than playing a hero. You bet Fassbender relished every crack of the whip and every exclamation of the word nigger

>he wasn't born a slave, he didn't die a slave,
I can agree with this, it's like how Schindler's List is about the jews that didn't die and not the thousands that did. It turns a tragedy into a happy ending

>he is constantly portrayed as more 'worthy' than the other slaves
Only because he though he was. He was educated and talented, but eventually his spirit breaks and he spends the last offscreen years of slavery singing hymns like all the other slaves

>its perpetuating the american myth that hard-work and natural talents make any situation possible to overcome
Completely wrong, he was freed by the chance encounter of a good man who believed his story and wanted to save him. Even then it took years to happen. All his hard work and talent led him nowhere

Black people here arent niggers they have jobs and contribute to society instead of living of the state.

because he eloquently recounts his life story to brad pitt, hence demonstrating his value and the apparent injustice of his imprisonment

sure, he suffers and has his spirit broken, but we know these are just trials he has to endure along the way to his eventual salvation because he is presented as a worth character unfairly kept down by evil doers

really he was just a traveler in the land of slavery, not a slave, he feels like a modern educated man experiencing something horrible rather than an actual product of slavery

which i guess is why they chose this one in a million story, but ultimately what they're saying is that we cant relate to an actual slave, which makes the whole thing feel dishonest

they're both mediocre button-pushing movies.

SOME FOLKS SAY A NIGGER WON'T STEAL
I CAUGHT THREE IN MY CORNFIELD
ONE HAS A BUSHEL
AND ONE HAS A PECK
ONE HAD A ROPE AND IT WAS AROUND HIS NECK

>its perfect because of everything you have shit taste
Well hello tumblr

C L A S S I C
L
A
S
S
I
C

classic

Oh thats a fucking lie

It, along with the rest of McQueen's flicks, are pseudo-artistic. 12YaS is a worse offender than Shame, but Shame is still pretend art.

McQueen can only attempt to compel the audience with the most basic and melodramatic means. Suicide attempts, violence, rapes, crying etc. Even Nolan is subtler.

but--if you inject enough pretty backgrounds and long takes, any fool will declare it as "art" or "good."

Anything about slavery or the holocaust where white people are the bad guys triggers Sup Forums and is instantly a shit movie.

lol, source?

yea it did

nah, McQueen's movies that have nothing to do with race are just as painfully mediocre.

try comparing a Brit nig vs an American nig and you will see

Not arguing with you on that.

Plus points go to Classic Dano.

what themes? colonialism and we wuz scientists?

unz.com/article/the-iq-gap-is-no-longer-a-black-and-white-issue/

But considering that Britain is facing mass unemployment of Lower class people both white and black it's hard to find any specific news on certain ethnicities within Britain in the work place

But there are blacks who have jobs in the UK

researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/LLN-2016-0021/LLN-2016-0021.pdf

But there are black scientists and inventors and doctors

biography.com/people/groups/famous-black-scientists

webfiles.uci.edu/mcbrown/display/faces.html

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African-American_inventors_and_scientists

those are some short lists senpai

lol