I guess this was good at the time? But I mean Pixies did Doolittle the same year and Surfer Rosa before that...

I guess this was good at the time? But I mean Pixies did Doolittle the same year and Surfer Rosa before that, both of which shit on this. Help me figure out this thing's place in music history.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q2PYyvGFHD8
youtube.com/watch?v=gdwa2z-4hpE
youtube.com/watch?v=mY7FIkWepJY
youtube.com/watch?v=u1H2GYCyUrk
youtube.com/watch?v=8f8wAXDZ9D0
youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1t7SS6zYg
youtube.com/watch?v=b_9pKiTt4m8
youtube.com/watch?v=SU71tDrOjfs
youtube.com/watch?v=L_5dZGXatFI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How are The Pixies even related to Stone Roses?

I like these guys

They 80s as fuck

What are you talking about? That album is excellent and holds up extremely well. It's a little less straightforward than albums like Doolittle so give it a few listens to let the psychedelic elements click

It's really not that good. I love the first two tracks, but the rest is just so meh. Never got the hype behind it.

I like it don't get me wrong but this album received basically a perfect score from critics. I just don't hear it. It's so regular.

Watch a movie called 24 hour party people my frindo

youtube.com/watch?v=q2PYyvGFHD8

Madchester mane

Pixies never made anything nearly as epic as I Am the ressurection or I Wanna Be adored

I downloaded this movie earlier this year, and watching the trailer right now, I literally cannot remember if I actually watched it.

How sad is that?

>Help me figure out this thing's place in music history

Madchester was an 80s club dance scene with heavy emphasis on experimental and almost hypnotic rhythm. These guys added loud guitars, actual melodies and spawned a new form of alternative rock which went on to influence many artists.

Great band with superb and often overlooked musicianship.

>The best Brtish 90s rock album was actually released in the 80s

but second coming came out in the 90s

i wanna be adored is dope

how did they pull this album off

Sort of but no. The only REAL acid house/madchester influence on the record comes on Fools Gold, which was released after the album and affixed to later editions as a bonus track

>stupid yanks unironically thinking pixies have ever put out anything as good as stone roses' s/t and the singles leading up to it

youtube.com/watch?v=gdwa2z-4hpE (Mani and Reni isolated)
youtube.com/watch?v=mY7FIkWepJY (Squire isolated)

I'm telling you man, because they were out of this world musicians

>Madchester is a broad genre label popularized by the British music press in the early 1990s,[1] referring to the music scene that developed in the Manchester area towards the late 1980s and into the early 1990s. The music that emerged from the scene mixed alternative rock, psychedelic rock and electronic dance music. Artists associated with the scene included the Happy Mondays, the Stone Roses, the Inspiral Carpets, Northside, 808 State, James and The Charlatans, amongst others. At that time, the Haçienda nightclub, co-owned by members of New Order, was a major catalyst for the distinctive musical ethos in the city that was called the Second Summer of Love.[2] The scene is widely seen as heavily influenced by drugs, especially ecstasy (MDMA).

I was kind of hoping for an american madchester scene with the rise of EDM, but rock music just became like tame impla or some gay shit

As far as technic goes, every member of the Roses shit on the Pixies m8 expect Ian that dude is a hack
That album shit all over anythin the Pixies have done.
Also Doolittle is ovverrated as fuck, way too inconsistent for all the praise it gets. Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde are way better.

>stone roses' s/t and the singles leading up to it
don't sleep on the singles after it and the b-sides lad
fools gold, what the world is waiting for, one love, somethings burning, etc.

>I was kind of hoping for an american madchester scene with the rise of EDM
Why would you even think that would happen? EDM is absolute garbage, a complete farce in the realm of dance music.

I more meant the singles preceding and surrounding it but yeah, not worth sleeping on those either

So much better than the Pixies. The Pixies are overrated as fuck.

It's just got a lot of great songs which all have very good musicianship and melodies, and some well executed interesting concepts. Every song is very distinct. (I would remove sugar spun sister if given the chance though, but it's not the worst song in the world by any means)

The drumming is great, the hooks are great, the ideas are great. I don't see how you could be cynical towards this album.

>Ian that dude is a hack

can't sing but he was a good frontman with swagger (liam gallagher copied him head to toe). brown and squire were total weirdos too but that complemented each other

reni's super overlooked as a drummer tbqh
man deserves his dues

All of the members bar Ian are amongst the best Britain have ever produced imo. So much wasted potential that they never went onto bigger things after they broke up.

Mersey Paradise, The Hardest Thing In The World, Sally Cinnamon, Standing Here, and especially Elephant Stone.

Yeah he was a great frontman and some of his lyrics like Fool's Gold are pretty neat. Tbqh I just shat on him due to frustration, his voice went to shit and their latest single had garbage lyrics, I wish he could go back to being good

let's be real: wanky "experimental" pieces aside, every song between 88-90 was great

most bands would kill for a song like "where angels play", the roses put threw it on the b-side of a single released two years (!) after the album it was pulled from

>I wish he could go back to being good

same. that said, one of his solo songs is an all time favourite of mine

youtube.com/watch?v=u1H2GYCyUrk

Because they have a fucking sound that's unique and interesting and spawned an entire wave of music aping them.

They're british music kino, and Ian Brown, Noel Gallagher and Lee Mavers are modern day legends.

I always understood Stone Roses to be kind of proto-shoegaze, especially songs like I Wanna Be Adored, Made of Stone, and Fool's Gold.

>(I would remove sugar spun sister if given the chance though, but it's not the worst song in the world by any means)
Love that track because it always reminds me of my amazing sister :3

The existence of this album makes Oasis obsolete.

really don't like how everything with a dash of reverb is somehow "shoegaze" these days

i can definitely see the case for fool's gold though, with british indie going in a more beat-based direction in the early '90s. that song probably played a part in that, being a proper hit and all

Damn this is pretty great, it's time I give Ian's solo career a shot I guess haha
Sounds like The Last Shadow Puppets took a lot from him.

now that's just silly

>I always understood Stone Roses to be kind of proto-shoegaze

Eh, I don't hear it. Bands like J&MC are what I'd call proto shoegaze. You could call the Stone Roses proto-britpop though.

Ian was like the chief songwriter lads. Listen to Squire's solo shit and see how absolutely dreadful it is, and compare it with Ian's solo stuff. You'll get a better respect for him:

it's really hit and miss but worth giving a try. here's a few others

youtube.com/watch?v=Kz1t7SS6zYg
youtube.com/watch?v=b_9pKiTt4m8

he's a shit singer though

if you actually listen to the album then you will see that it's only good because bass/guitar/drums are perfect

plus ians solo shit is absolute trash, scaruffi rated it all like 1/10, and he always rates solo stuff too high

Yeah Squire's solo stuff was meh, still a phenomenal guitarist. The problem with Ian's solo career is exactly as the guy above said, it's hit and miss.

noel a cute! CUTE!!

s/t tracks best to worst:

waterfall
i am the resurrection
(song for my) sugar spun sister
she bangs the drums
i wanna be adored
this is the one
don’t stop
shoot you down
bye bye badman
made of stone
elizabeth my dear

the jam section of fools gold is better than everything Can did desu

honestly, the only thing worth listening to from the stone roses is this album

shoot you down should be above this is the one imo
don't stop is kind of filler, but not quite

IIRC Noel Gallagher wrote Keep What Ya Got and thought Ian could sing it better than Liam so just gave it to him.

youtube.com/watch?v=SU71tDrOjfs

don't be silly lad

best guitar solo ever

they are two very different bands but surfer rosa is nowhere near as good as the roses s/t. good album but very rough and pretty weird. however doolittle is definitely strong enough to be compared to the stone roses debut.

>made of stone
that love
Dude what

i thought don't stop was really good the first time i heard it, but i was thinking it would probably wear thin on repeated listens and was just a cool filler song. but it really hasnt lost its charm on me, it's a beautiful abstraction of waterfall and probably the most "psychedelic" moment on the album. and you can dance to it.

man i wish i could release an album so good that i could basically live off the sales from it it for a majority of my life

what?

i didnt say it was bad (there is nothing remotely close to bad on this album) but i just never liked it as much as the other songs

it didn't even sell that well despite being a 10/10 in most papers

stone roses are technically a cult band

well get crackin then boyo

well you really have to give them credit for pretty much just reversing a song for the most part and still make it good and like a proper song

youtube.com/watch?v=L_5dZGXatFI

i shat bricks the first time i heard this, as a hidden track on the cd. it's still pretty unsettling imo

the best album of the 80s for me