He did nothing wrong

He did nothing wrong

Ok

>killed a filthy imposter
>killed a pathetic failed fuckboy preacher
Amen

This

Do we think he actually loved H.W.? I mean, he's a pyschopath, that much is certain, and I think he only took him in as a business tool originally, but I think he's so angry at the end because he loves him, and it's conflicting with his basic instinct to make money

He did. He was depressed as fuck at the end. He was genuinely upset in the church scene. He was genuinely worried when HW was caught in the oil explosion

he obviously loved him

>I think he only took him in as a business tool originally
>Back when his operation was only like 5 dudes out in the middle of nowhere working by themselves, he took in an orphan so he could use "family business" approach like a decade later

Nah.

We all should follow the example of this man. Prove me wrong, boys.

You saw the lengths he went to at the beginning for gold, and his whole angle was based around the family bond; it was definitely part of his thought process

Pretty sure he started the movie with love in his heart, and it gradually withered as he became more and more intent on fortune

>ends up rich and lonely

Well you already have one of those user, so you're halfway there.

Not exactly, his surroundings only kept disappointing him, eventually he just realized that everyone is full of shit.

Of course he did, look at the flashback scene immediately after he casts out HW. He assumes he can cut off his boy like the fake brother because they aren't blood related, but can't.

Daniel was always insecure about his feelings for the boy. Remember the scene when HW comes back, and as soon as those Standard Oil guys come in he goes right into lunatic drunk mode. He can't balance his personality, and chooses the vicious businessman because it's easier to deny any feeling than allow it to happen and appear weak.

>he realizes everyone is full of shit
I hope you don't see Daniel as being in the right. He's just as bad as whoever else you think is "full of shit." His son was honest and loving, as was his future daughter in law. He just refused to acknowledge that since it didn't come between him and his greed. Once it did he cut them off.

my name.....
is..... daniel PLAINNNNNVIEW

He wasn't a complete monster. He even paid off Eli's family to stop beating their children as an under-the-table kind of deal.

Other anons have said the same basic thing. Daniel really did grow to love H.W., and it shines through in their performances.

However, as certain fortunes turned sour for Daniel, he became alienated from the only person that he really did love, and H.W.'s leaving to strike out on his own, Daniel interpreted that as another "imposter", another threat, and so he hurt this last person the best way he knew how - well until the next one.

It also bears mentioning that this was a century ago, and one would be even more embarrassed of a disabled relative than today, and if you're someone like Daniel, not caring to be sensitive toward them at all. After all, it is Daniel who knows that they're not really blood. Especially since it seems that Daniel's initial plan was to pass on his operation to a fully-able H.W., and life got in the way. If Daniel had actually known that H.W. was really his, then this might have altered things a bit, but as Daniel sours, H.W. is just another piece of "baggage" to be got rid of.

Daniel really did learn to love H.W., and he also learned not to love H.W. any longer. This is just one of the tragic facets of Daniel Plainview.

>I thank God I have none of you in me
Just kill me PTA, don't hurt me like this

And what is it with him and horribly sad penultimate scenes about surrogate families breaking up set in spacious offices? The Master had one too and is almost as heartbreaking

I went halfway through it last night, must finish up. it's been a while.

The imposter is an obvious theme of course, with the false brother, the false son, and the twin(?) brothers Paul and Eli. When Daniel and H.W. encounter Eli(?) for the first time, you can tell clearly in the actors' body language that the characters are doing a double take. This is the same fucking guy. But then intellect kicks in and they and we the audience remember that identical twins are a thing. We're all still taken aback though.

>

Took me awhile to realise Paul Dano had two characters. Until he beat up his dad actually

It (imposters) are clearly a major theme that we're supposed to wonder over when discussing the film. Daniel's interaction with these over the course of his life has fueled his cynicism and murderous violence. But of course Daniel is the first imposter in that he presents himself as H.W.'s father, even to H.W. himself for most of his life.

I have the idea (not something I positively believe, just something I entertain) that Daniel always had the idea that Paul and Eli were the same person, but he let it rest, never really probing it, just distrusting the whole family. Like I said it's been a while so I'm re-watching carefully, critically. Do other members of the Sunday family refer to Paul as an absent character?

Moreover, Eli says at least one confusing thing once or twice in the final scene, referring Daniel as "his brother by marriage". Now, this word "brother" might both have some squishy religious, and generically familial content, but the fact that it's literally incorrect is a sort of tell, I think. It's first of all literally incorrect in that Daniel is no blood relation to H.W. (is Eli aware of that fact? I forget the church scene). But even if we accept that Daniel is H.W.'s father, his son has married Eli's sister. So in this case, the purported literal relationship between Eli and Daniel is some sort of nephew-uncle entity, and not "brothers".

>Do other members of the Sunday family refer to Paul as an absent character?
Eli talks to his dad about Paul when he beats him up

>A STUPID FATHER TO A STUPID SON

That scene was gold.

I will be paying close attention to this, and reviewing. The son mentioning "some guy" during the heat of violence would be easy for the characters to forget. And if only Eli himself mentions Paul among the entire family, then this gives a little weight to the Paul-and-Eli-are-Same-Person idea.