No, hip-hop is hip-hop.

Yes, in the same way that metal is rock music
metal falls under rock, but they're distinctly different

Techno is techno
House is house
Drum & Bass is drum & bass
Dubstep is dubstep

Your point?

Yeah, but like a lot of things labeled "dance music" a good portion is actually undancable. Like I'd like to see your average joe get loose to mobb deep.

My point is hhat hip-hop is not EDM, because only EDM is EDM.

>Techno is techno
>House is house
>Drum & Bass is drum & bass
>Dubstep is dubstep

those are all just EDM though
there's hardly any difference between them and they're barely music at all to begin with
there's not complexity or innovation there
it's all just a manufactured corporate product

I'd like to see your average joe get loose to The Orb or Burial

"EDM" is an absolutely retarded term to use in the first place.

But hip-hop is inherently dance music. It emerged out of dancehall culture with heavy disco and funky influence alongside electro.

Exactly the same as hip hop.

Not sure DESU.

Most people do not associate rap and electronic music as the same genres

>electronic
>genre

Techno, house, D&B, hip hop.... Its all made with the same iinstruments

>they're barely music at all to begin with
>mfw

EDM can be a retarded term, but OP was the one who brought up "electronic dance music". And there's quite a lot of hip-hop that's not made with "electronic" instruments.

Drum & bass objectively has more in common with hip hop than techno or house.

Jungle is literally faster hip hop.

most modern hip hop is just edm with a guy rapping over it
hence why you see lots of edm producers doing tracks for big rappers (rustie/hudmo) and festivals in the us with rappers and edm guys as headliners

not saying hip hop is an offshoot of any current dance subgenre but they've been taking lots of influence from each other in sound recently

>And there's quite a lot of hip-hop that's not made with "electronic" instruments.

There really isn't.

stop using "EDM" fucking americans unless you're specifically referring to big room shit and the like that has that kind of connotation attached to it
house and techno et al are not part of that same category

so if a jazz band uses the same line-up as a rock band (guitar, bass, drums) its the same genre?
are you retarded?

You have to have a sampler and drum machine for it to be hip-hop. Otherwise it's some sort of acapella rap.

Irrelevant.

''electronic music'' is defined by the instruments being electronic, having a plug attached, nothing more or less.

So The Beatles were EDM too?

>all electronically produced music is EDM

I make a point of using "EDM" because it triggers limey faggots like you

thats what you said on you moron

So, all recorded music post-1920 is EDM?

>music is defined by the mechanics of which it is made and not how it sounds like or its method of composition
lmao get a load of this retard

Nowhere did I say that. You are retarded af lmao

''electronic music'' is, thats the definition everywhere

genre definitions are vague as fuck and dont mean shit

Electronic music is music that employs electronic musical instruments and electronic music technology in its production, an electronic musician being a musician who composes and/or performs such music.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music

I like how Sup Forums is finally starting to realise how using EDM as an umbrella term is totally retarded. Turny would be proud.

go to bed, turny

Electronic music is music which uses non-traditional electronic instrumentation and sound manipulation technology as the primary musical backbone of a composition.

In its original form, as pioneered by avant-garde classical composers like Edgard Varèse and Karlheinz Stockhausen, electronic music compositions were abstract noise collages created through the use of tape loops, oscillators, sirens and field recordings. Arguably the first composer to create electronic music using traditional rhythms and melodies was Raymond Scott.

Since the 1960s, starting with bands like Silver Apples and White Noise, electronic music has filtered into pop music, with its commercial breakthrough arguably occurring in the 1980s with the advent of Synthpop.

rateyourmusic.com/genre/Electronic/

Electronic music refers to music that emphasizes the use of electronic musical instruments or electronic music technology as a central aspect of the sound of the music. Historically, electronic music was considered to be any music created with the use of electronic musical instruments or electronic processing, but in modern times, that distinction has been lost because almost all recorded music today, and the majority of live music performances, depend on extensive use of electronics.

last.fm/tag/electronic/wiki

you can make hip-hop using live instruments with none of the hardware traditionally associated with the genre. the same can't be said for electronic dance music.

Prodigy and Pendulum use guitar and drums now

on top of their electronics, yes.

You can make acoustic breaks, it's breakbeats, from drums

In theory. Without electronic instruments, try replicating 99% of hip hop since about 1985 and see how far you can get.

This is part of why I don't like the term "hip hop" as a musical term.

Rap is EDM with spoken word vocals.

Rap without rapping is some kind of EDM.

"Hip hop" is what people call Flying Lotus to be like "he makes EDM but also he's black."

Hip hop refers to the culture surrounding rap music, and hip hop culture as an academic topic is really fucking dull and ruins it. So there's no reason to ever talk about hip hop culture unless you're a professor at some liberal arts college trying to teach people about the history of turntablism, and if you are that, then fuck you.

/bleep/ has been against that shit for years now

Only white people wouldn't care about the important history of hip hop and why Herc started those block parties back in the day for the bboys

This
"Hip hop isn't edm" is just an attempt to exotify the most successful form of electronic dance music in history

Turny was pre-/bleep/

Shit, Turny was pre bleeps altogether

I think it's an American thing to distance themselves from the cliche big festival candy raver, Skrillex ext fans

>Is hip hop electronic dance music?

>electronic
yes

>dance
no

>music
no

So no, hip hop isn't EDM

Then what are all those people at hip hop shows doing? Or breakdancers?

It's also an American thing to think that all dance music is "big festival candy raver" shit too

Yeah, the majority have no clue what else there is

it's still not dance music

No

>electronic = electric
lol retard

but there's more to hip-hop than the danceable kind you get at parties. a ton of popular hip-hop now is just some moody guy rapping about a bunch of depressing shit going on in their life.

Not all hiphop is danceable, therefore hiphop isn't a dance oriented genre

>electronically produced music people dance to isn't electronic dance music

Wit?

How do you dance to The Orb - Adventures From the Underworld?

Er yes?

Heavy metal is a genre of rock music, like it or not.

>not dance music

not edm

you're pointing out an album that falls under a genre designed for people coming down from drugs at raves. also, little fluffy clouds is very dance-able.

OP never said EDM, we're talking about electronic dance music as an umbrella and The Orb are definitely that, they've played Boiler Rooms and dance festivals.

There are plenty of electronic dance music artists who produce music not for the dance floor, just like *some* hip hop.

He was cherry picking hip hop releases.

EDM = electronic dance music, idiot
that Orb album isn't edm

okay smartasses, so what's a better umbrella term for techno, breakbeat, house, trance, jungle, electro and IDM?

we don't need an umbrella term for techno, breakbeat, house, trance, jungle, electro and IDM

just say dance music

Electronic music

electronic music? shit if you really want to go by the strict definition that the EDM label imposes you should realize that it doesn't consider hip-hop as one of its derivatives.

go back to your dadrock and "muh real music"

None.

See

He was the one who spoke about "having a plug attached", moron. lrn2context

Still doesn't make electronic music = EDM

Again, OP was the one who said "electronic dance music". I actually loathe the term, tbqh, and I was using it to ridicule the guy's premise. For fuck's sake, am I the only one who knows how to fucking read in this thread?

he also said
>the instruments being electronic
retard

I said about the plug, I'm not OP, my point was the label electronic music is for everything back to the 40s, it's not just for modern danceable music.

my laptop doesn't have a plug
is that electronic?

>Electronic Dance Music doesn't innovate
>Uses a wide variety of instruments, rhythm and sound design over several different genres

idiot

Rock music is predictable and boring. E.g Songs are almost always about women, never anything about introspection. Always use the exact same instruments. Boring 4/4 beat. Basic rhythmic structures, etc.

Of course not, it's an acoustic instrument, dummie!