ITT: Albums that you don't get what the praise is all about

Pic related
I mean the first two songs are good but the rest belongs in the trash

Spiderland and pic related are the only Sup Forumscore albums I can't get into despite trying time and time again.

Just a really boring listen.

I just listened to this for the first time and was thinking the same thing

It might be a matter of the context, the drawling monologue and listless feel probably felt a lot more subversive when it came out. It feels more typical and uninteresting than I think it's supposed to.

I was walking in expecting a greater emotional impact, but the dreariness just made me feel somewhere between uneasy and sullen. Perhaps that's the point?

Regardless stretches felt mediocre, the disaffected tone came off as unintentional making the album feel more like someone's shitty band quietly mumbling in the back of some angsty dive bar than the progenitor of post rock.

>feel more like someone's shitty band quietly mumbling in the back of some angsty dive bar than the progenitor of post rock.

this needs to be stickied for fuck sake

I don't like this album as much as many people here, but how the fuck could you consider the closing track to be anything but oustanding?

Another one I don't see people not liking. Plenty of pop appeal, good stylistic variety, not too long. Is it Thom's voice or something?

mumbly trash is just what emo music is user, if you don't like it it's fine

There's almost nothing emo about this album. The vocals aren't the important part; it was entirely instrumental up until the recording sessions. But I wouldn't expect Sup Forums to be able to discuss anything deeper than vocals.

>But I wouldn't expect Sup Forums to be able to discuss anything deeper than vocals.

underrated post

Post Hardcore and emo have a lot of overlaps, at least early emo, it's pretty clear Spiderland is in a similar camp to Rites of Spring and Embrace at the very least

I don't think there's much in common with Rites of Spring at all on this album.

yeah i would have to agree

you sure you arent just dropping names?

I didn't quite understand Spiderland the first few listens either, as it may seem repetitive and drab if one isn't paying close attention. It is easily in my top 5 and has held its position ever since I "got it". It first entered my favorites due to a deeply personal relationship with the record, but after my taste in music branched out to the point of no return, I appreciated it for its instrumental brilliance.

If you want to begin understanding Spiderland, pay VERY CLOSE attention to the drum-work.

Walford manages to create the illusion of seamless transitions between the constantly jerking time signatures present in different sections of certain tracks (Nosferatu Man being the easiest example of this). On other tracks, his contributions behind the kit are technically brilliant and mood setting, yet extremely understated. Once you begin seeing this, it's easier to realize what makes Spiderland amazing is the understated intricacy and subtle variations of each instrument. Although at a glance it all feels numb, there are stark, looming elements of anxiety and tension hidden beneath the apathy. Nervous, tense understatement is what the record is about, and the way it makes the listener feel is very, very intentional.

That being said, if dealing with these sorts of feelings has never been a cornerstone of the listener's life experience, I can completely understand why one wouldn't be fond of anything except for the catharsis of Good Morning Captain.

I say all of this to reiterate this user's point: the closing track is extremely in-your-face about why it's amazing, and I'm wondering how the hell OP thinks its trash.

>first two songs better than Good Morning, Captain

Lmao did you even listen to it

god tier post
spiderland haters btfo

>he doesn't like Don Aman
I bet you've never even stepped outside

I certainly wouldn't say it's bad, but I don't see why people praise it so highly.

Seconded.
Still a good album.

I understand it's influential but I can't get into it. I like a lot of post-hardcore bands too.

This was the same for me. I just couldn't get into Fugazi even though I like Drive Like Jehu, At The Drive In, and a bunch of other PH bands.

Listened to it a year later and Fugazi is now my favourite band.

You nailed it. Good work.

Why are you paying attention to the vocals instead of the lyricism? Why aren't you picking up on how unique the guitar playing is?

It's overrated, period. there are better Radiohead albums, and In Rainbows demonstrates this in every track

KidCucks BTFO

>P.S. It's not a bad album, but not a fantastic one either

>Perhaps that's the point?
somewhat. I don't understand how you didn't fucking feel anything at the end of GMC though, that might be the single most emotionally powerful moment in music to me, especially after the entire album

>disaffected tone came off as unintentional
just blatantly not true, not sure how you could even think this

good write-up. i guess at the end of the day you have to understand that the atmosphere on this album is totally unique, and that while it is many things, it's not "boring"

I hate that fucking album. Go nowhere, mumblecore bullshit for Nu Male cuck fucks.

>Nu Male cuck fucks

oh okay, i thought you were going to actually present a criticism

>inb4 t. numale

>Good Morning, Captain
>trash
pick one and only one

Wasn't super impressed

OP here, listened to Good Morning Captain again, I see the why this song is hyped, but many other bands have done this so...meh

it was alright but i didn't like it anywhere near as much as everyone else did. i like lopatin's other work, too. what am i missing?

Personally i don't like it because the vocalists voice isn't my cup of tea.

I personally love it
But it does have a distinct that I don't see in the other albums and I can't exactly tell what it is
It sounds hollow if that makes sense

Death Grips

Complete and utter shite, don't know how anybody could enjoy their music

Daniel Johnston in general. Ive seen so many people praise him and just dont fucking get the appeal

This album isn't all that viscerally impactful. Just listen to it and try to appreciate the musicianship and songwriting

This one is so overrated.

Also, Pinegrove - Cardinal.

I feel you. I don't care about his music even in an ironic way. "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is one hell of a great documentary though.

It's the same thing with Wesley Willis, it's good music in context but on it's own it doesn't really stand out or is even super great. But I guess all Outsider Music is inherently contextual.

It's just interesting to hear the artistic expression of someone with several mental illnesses, all of which are pretty severe. It's why a lot of people also really like Peter Sotos' Buyer's Market

hes cute

Britt Walford is a genius of drumming