/daily/ - "FILE DELETED" edition

It's still January.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lubomyr_melnyk/windmills/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/la_monte_young/31_vii_69_10_26___10_49_pm___23_viii_64_2_50_45_3_11_am__aka_the_black_record_/
youtube.com/watch?v=rkmv06jkym0
youtu.be/W27PnUuXR_A?t=1485
twitter.com/AnonBabble

for the bois

wish i could FIND a MEME SOMEWHERE

new bread

quick, give me 3 minimalism essentials that aren't these

on second thought they don't have to be essentials, just stuff that's good

Dawn of Midi - Dysnomia

i like Different Trains; Electric Counterpoint

eastman ofc

I'd also recommend Windmills, another Lubomyr Melnyk piece, and I would highly rec La Monte Young's Black Record.

and here are the links to those last two btw
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/lubomyr_melnyk/windmills/
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/la_monte_young/31_vii_69_10_26___10_49_pm___23_viii_64_2_50_45_3_11_am__aka_the_black_record_/

I open up my wallet
And it's full of nug

I think I'm gonna start with good ol' Fahey

Been listening to Earth and The Body all day and about to dive into Rothko Chapel for a real change of pace. Earth's 2014 record is underrated as hell.

Must see live band as well.

Yung lamont is a hack

nah do him last, then you'll realize just how mind-blowing FFV really is

Fair enough. What am prim should I do first then?

i definitely agree

i think 6 and 12 string guitar is a really good place to start

>Snowflakes Are Dancing
>Phaedra
>Plantasia
>All that Coltrane

MFW

I think Sandy Bull is a good intro, he does some covers on there iirc, but Basho also does the singing—very well too, which is surprisingly unique for American Primitive

yeah there's a lot of good shit on there

Man this is epic...for the win!

God, btw, it's just unreal how good a song Needle in the Camel's Eye is.

I just can't stop listening to it, over and over.

>i think 6 and 12 string guitar is a really good place to start
really digging this so far

it's so fucking good

really makes you think

yeah it's so fucking good

hmm I replied twice

i mean it is really fucking good

this really activates my almonds

Signor Benedict the Moor - Maiden Voyage Suite
>Experimental Hip Hop, “”Conscious Hip Hop””

A pretentious little hip hop EP consisting of one 11 minute track, followed by the relatively painless 1200am. The first track, “Maiden Voyager”, is gamut of different beats and styles, covering everything from boom bap, to electronica, to noise rap, to an awful lot of progressive-rock-inspired stuff actually. And while that at once amounted to a guitar solo, the rest isn’t quite so awful, just really not as interesting in practice as it is on paper. As for the lyrical content, the track seems to be about the singer/rapper leaving earth, in some kind of space ship maybe(?) or perhaps more cringe-worthily, spiritually. It’s admittedly technically pretty airtight. Signor has a bunch of pretty flawless and unique flows and vocal sounds, and he’s not a terrible singer either. It’s just not that interesting. It’s like the words never hit hard or anything.

There aren’t many if any standout moments, and I hardly remember the second track, which could have easily been rolled up into the roll of the first track (which is already just a big train of different short tracks). The themes seem similar enough anyway. Also, the beat has a very faint sample of what sounds like the iPhone red alert warning alarm clock alarm, which really triggered me.

It’s all bit of a snoozefest desu. Nearly fell asleep listening, actually.

5+/10

well we can't all be as perfect as Needle in the Camel's Eye
sick reference bro

yeah, it's goddamn incredible. the title track is 10/10 too.

>really digging this so far
awesome! it's definitely the album there that's most definitive of primitivism's sound, so if you like that you'll more likely than not like the rest.

I don't really mind the Liturgy fanbase, but the more I read into Triple H's ideology of advanced autism, the more I laugh.

Unknown Artists - Golden Rain
>Gamelan Gong Kebjar, Ketjak Chant, Nonesuch Explorer Series

Do I really need to justify this? It’s Balinese gamelan music—it’s the definition of euphoria. And this specific variation of gamelan music, gamelan gong kebjar, is much faster, making for a particularly breathtaking listen. The rapid fire ketjak chant too, although twenty minutes long, is ridiculously captivating from the get go. Just listen to about a minute of any song here and you’ll understand what I mean: it's simply amazing.
>youtube.com/watch?v=rkmv06jkym0

You wouldn't dare deprive yourself of this experience.

9-/10

title track is pretty great too no doubt

this was a fun chart!

James Brown - Love Power Peace: Live at the Olympia, Paris, 1971 (1992)
>funk

Totally bordering on a 3.5, but some of the allure of this is lost in translation when only listened to and not actually experienced. Given that it's a James Brown performance there's a lot of hype and intros and reprises involved, which I'm sure would be fucking exhilirating live, but they get really tedious when listened to on an album, especially with the multiple call and response sections between Brown, the crowd, and his hype man. That being said, goddamn the good stuff here is amazing, some of the tightest, most exhilirating funk I've ever heard. This music, live, put in a more condensed package would be amazing, and as is it's still pretty extraordinary.

3.0+

The Cherry Blossoms - The Cherry Blossoms (2000)
>avant-folk, contemporary folk

Pretty fun with some nice melodies bubbling under the surface, but it's free to the point of getting really needlessly irritating. There are kazoos everywhere, yelping vocalists, some weird attempts at skiffle, it's a fucking mess of an album, and mostly not in an endearing way. Every time they seem to lock into a good song the band just completely falls apart, it's infuriating. I have to admire the energy and the contagious fun, but this got on my nerves terribly.

2.0-

So... yeah. This movie is weird, fucked up, and lacking any plot, but I knew what I was getting into, having watched Kids.
You are made to dive headlong into a very fantastically sad and strange world that feels genuinely real.
I used to live in the deep South, and honestly this movie is grounded in reality, though I personally haven't met anyone whoring out their sister that has down's syndrome.

There is a lot of craft that went into this movie. These characters, what they wear, what they do, what they say, and how they say it... it all takes a mix of a lot of creativity and real experience.
And for the most part, I found all of the vignettes to be entertaining though some were tough to watch.
Did I enjoy it? Kinda. I was entertained, but most of my enjoyment was derived from being aware of how ridiculous yet real and deeply sad the situations the characters found themselves in were.
In the end, the stuff I took away from this movie is difficult to put into words. Just like after watching Kids, I'm left with only my emotions, getting upset thinking about all the children who exist unsupervised and unguided by a caring, parental figure of some sort.

damn this sounds really interesting, I'll give this a go sometime

why is their logo smash bros

why no dicks?

protip: the "ololonic age" is communism

how do you know this

why is it communism

why is their logo smash bros

why anything

y not?

>how do you know this
can't you read it's because i'm an expert on that particular subject

>why is it communism
because he lurks here

>why is their logo smash bros
why not desu

>why anything
because 01010n wanted to give her light to someone, so she gave birth to S/he/im. But S/he/im couldn’t bear 01010n’s light and shattered immediately as soon as s/he was born. 01010n retreated from the scene, but left behind The Genesis Caul, a little flicker of light. Reign Array and Kel Valhaal have the task, led by the Genesis Caul, of creating poetic/cultural/symbolic structures that might work as prisms so as to refract and reflect 01010n’s light, so that some day perhaps S/he/im will be able to bear it.

idk the more I read into Liturgy Lore the more it sounds like the plot to the new Dream Theatre album but with more baby words

that's because of the human network

What would have to go wrong in someone's life for them to decide it was acceptable to put an mp3 on soulseek ripped from a record with a very audible scratch on one side?

I see

What does /daily/ think of free-stoner metal? It's free jazz combined with stoner metal.

Gimme

Finally starting this chart, some irl stuff has come up the last few days. Also rating with numbers instead of shapes now because why not.

>Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
Honestly this was really disappointing compared to The Perfect Prescription. The opening song was amazing and really hyped me up for the rest of the record. The second song was also pretty good but save for a few moments the rest of it's bloated length was forgettable. Every song aimlessly plods along and never really has a satisfying conclusion. That seems like an odd criticism when the album is supposed to be a spacey drugged out romp which it does to a T. It's just that the matter in which it does it is so monotonous, uncomfy and uninspired. I liked the choral style singing on the first track and a few of the other ones and the noisy blown out guitar section during Cop Shoot Cop was also really cool, but they can't salvage the album on their own.
5/10

is it like that stuff i come up with when i jam on my moms guitar with no idea what to do

I think you're missing out on Peter Lang for primitivism.

can someone pls identify music that starts at 24:45? youtu.be/W27PnUuXR_A?t=1485

Bernhard Günter – Un Peu De Neige Salie
>lowercase, ear massage, music?

It feels like this album is not so much music as it is a physically pleasing experience for my ears. A sort of inner-ear massage, if you will. A lot of extremely pleasant sounds, such as vinyl crackle or the very distinct sort of creaking sound of treading in fresh snow (may have to do with the title of the album), but then you get these painfully piercing sounds and a sort of constant high tone as well.

There seem to be a lot of silent moments in the album, however to check if it was really silent or just very low volume I always had to pause the video (thanks Dogevillage for uploading to youtube btw), since my ears seemed to fabricate their own pitch filling up the silence (if that makes any sense). Overall pleasant experience.

These UK bass records are all over the place and very uneven, you'll get a good idea of what it can be but not what it is at its core i think. Especially if you're lacking context with like grime and 2 step. Don't be discouraged to enjoy them, though.

I'm new to Sup Forums, please tell to me what music we like here and which we hate. Also music genres please, I don't want to listen to the wrong music from now on.

you can only listen to keiji haino from now on
sorry.

Like:
Forest owls hooting
Nasty manga grandpas
e l e v e n
Are you feel good?

Dislike:
Grimes, mostly.

hates:
life
people

tor tle

been a while since I made a /daily/ OP image so I did this

Not sure which one I like better...

>likes
Music which pushes communism see Liturgy, Enter shikrari, Henry flynt

>dislikes
We dont do that we posi af

>music we like
?
>music we hate
all

more idea for a future February theme chart?
- Februarindie?
- Februarindustrial? (Indusstrial/Noise, indus ambient/techno etc.)
- Februacid? (Acid Rock, Acid techno)
- Februancient music? (= fake pre-medieval times shit)
- Februarty? (Art Rock/Pop)

Folk Metal February.

good music february (only listen to ITAOTS for the whole month, review it every day)

Just Folk February.

idk, but none of those certainly

all sound contrived but the last one, so that
though id suggest you do Arty instead of "arty"

tbf I'm tempted to do Fetish February (music with sexual/kinky themes) instead of Folk Feb.: it'll be more varied.

>Implying taking Folk in a broad sense isn't much more varied than that

>it'll be more varied
>than folk
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

Oooooooh

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhaahahahha

Oh shit you're serious?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Furthermore, isn't the whole point of a theme that it ISN'T that varied?

Hahahahahahah

>making Hampus mad about muh precious folk
>achievement unlocked!

M E R E L Y P R E T E N D I N G

>(You)

haha nice

Oh well I'll just dive right in I guess

>lacking context with like grime and 2 step
and how do i fix that?

Is lowercase meant for listening at all if it's so quiet? Redpill me

I sort of feel like listening to bad music, just because. Something I've never heard before, like maybe Marilyn Manson or something.

It's small sounds amplified. It's not necessarily supposed to be heard at low volumes.

check out Quartet mane

I know what it is and I've listened to some examples. But what is the goal

>But what is the goal
Art doesn't (always) have a goal.

listen to brokencyde

Nah I've already heard a few songs by them, I don't want to suffer through more.

It's meant to be played in a quiet room at barely audible levels so that it mingles with the other barely audible sounds in the room. For the purposes of this flowchart, however, I'm listening to it on headphones with the volume kind of loud because I'm a fucking rebel and ain't no composer gonna tell me what to do with his pretentious "music".

I will eventually listen to every album on the chart. Can't find download links for most of them though, anybody have an idea where I can find stuff like this?

have you ever heard Musical Abortions, or do you want something that isn't a dead ass meme?

No memes.

Some terrible, terrible, terrible, but still seriously super popular music with normies.

Hit me with the worst, I have three hours to kill so maybe I'll listen to one album at least.

AC/DC
Guns'n'Roses
Slipknot
Wednesday 13
Nightwish
Adele

2 cellos
The Kings' Singers
Celtic music compilations on youtube

Very dell. Adele it is.

>Celtic music compilations on youtube
Whoa, let's not go over board here, yea

Pink Season

>AC/DC
>Guns'n'Roses
>Slipknot
he said "bad", not "legendary"

I've heard so much good music lately that my rating scale may need to be re-thought

I can give you some bad recs if you want

"Rolling in the Deep" has a sense of familiarity from so much radio play that makes it hard to feel completely removed from the music. It's pretty catchy, and with better buildup instead of going straight into the climactic chorus, it could've been pretty decent. It would need to be longer, though, which is why I guess they made it the way it is.

"Rumour Has It" is just straight up annoying to me. It has a super repetitive chorus that comes back many, many times, and just makes you hate that particular melodic phrase, and that in turn just makes me want the song to end as soon as possible.

"Turning Tables" has some pretty good melodies. The contrast between verse, pre-chorus and chorus are all good, and the first time the chorus ends on the eponymous phrase it's somewhat effectful. I like the little string arrangements in the background, wish they had been given more space.

"Don't You Remember" is just straight up boring, and I really dislike it. There's little contrast between the different parts of the song, except for the bridge which changes key (duh) and Adele sings a little louder. Way too slow of a song.

"Set Fire to the Rain" is another one of those songs that you just sort of can't hate because you're already familiar with it. Still, it's a boring song. The chorus would need much more oomph to contrast it with the verses. Everyone says Adele has a great voice, and this would be a perfect song to showcase it. Unfortunately, both the writing and the production doesn't really allow it to shine. I feel like there's way too much compression on the entire album.

Hell yeah. I usually just stop listening if I find something uninteresting, you know?

"He Won't Go" is radically different from the previous songs, much fewer piano arpeggii and much more percussion. It's a lot funkier than the other songs, and I feel like the instrumentation is a better complement to Adele's vocals, particularly in the chorus. It feels less like they're going for that "epic" feeling and as such suits Adele better in my opinion. Also I hate "epic" pop songs, fuck that shit. Still, it gets repetitive, like all pop songs of this kind, where there's the same chorus played at least three times and near the end I'm just sick of it.

"Take it All" is soooo boring holy fuuuuck. It's just Adele with a piano, and she simply doesn't sing well enough for that to work. There's a bit of chorus in the... chorus, but that's it. I can't deal with it. Her voice is super nasal in the bridge too, which just makes it sound like she can't even sing well, terrible. The song feels at least twice as long as it is due to how boring it is.

"I'll Be Waiting" has like the weirdest opening, what the fuck. It starts off with some thick rock drum beats, and then just cuts that out entirely and plops in some piano and trumpets. Wacky. It's a bit more souly than the other songs so far, and for some reason it reminds me of Soundgarden, not really sure why? Definitely inspired by "Son of a Preacher Man", which is super evident in the pre-chorus. It's not terrible, but I'd much rather listen to Dusty than this. Probably the track I like the most so far.

that doesnt mean you cant rate it...

No, I usually keep listening until I at least like parts of it

How else would I know the difference betweem 5/10 and 0/10?

"One and Only" is another one of those ultraboring snooze ballads, oh no. At least it's mixed a bit better than previous, so the instruments have been toned down and her voice is more prominent, makes it a bit more pleasant. Picks up a little bit of pace in the first chorus, but it sounds extremely cheesy, like a stereotypical "romance" song. The bridge is even slower than the rest of the song, and I just can't understand how you can play a piano in such a boring and uninspired way, just banging chords out. God. If this song had more build up throughout, it would be okay, but now it's just flat the entire near six minutes, and that's shit.

"Lovesong" is yet another fucking slow ballad, this time with guitar instead of piano. Still exactly the same. Even the guitar ""solo"" is hilariously boring. Also suffers from being repetitive as fuck. Just end already.

"Someone Like You" is yet another "Oh hey I heard this on the radio already!" and it's not terrible, I can undersand why they picked it as a single. The contrast in intensity between verse and chorus is actually good here. I think the melodies fit the lyrics pretty well, which is nice. The singing also picks up a bit of pace every verse nearer the chorus, which is great, adds a dimension of rhythmic dynamic to the song. Still, by the third time the chorus rolls in after the bridge (what a surprise), it's pretty done and played out. But hey, it's a bit extended this time around, great right? No.

You think? Wouldn't feel honest if I didn't hear all of it

Don't care much about the difference in scores if it's low. That's a good philosophy though, assuming something interesting does come

Overall, it's neither disappointing nor exhilarating. Every single song is just straight up verse-chorus format, they're all about four minutes long, and it's very, very obvious that this is not meant to be heard as an album, but a collection of attempted singles. It's way, way too monotonous throughout, everything is a ballad, just that a few of them are a bit slower and even more boring than the rest. If it were intended as an "album" there would be a few more upbeat songs interspaced between the rest to maintain interest over the 45 minute duration.

None of this surprises me, because after all, this is an album by what is quite literally the definition of radio pop star. When you make music to sell, this is what happens.

I think Adele gets a lot of unwarranted praise for her voice, because it's really nothing special, at least not as shown on "21". The passages where she's allowed a little bit more breathing room she sounds nasal and sometimes misses notes in that "stylistic" manner than a lot of great singers can pull off, but she doesn't. She's not really bad by any means, just bland.

In conclusion, I wouldn't recommend this album to anyone. Just listen to the radio singles and maybe "Turning Tables" and you've heard it all. The rest is just more of the same in slightly different packaging, and I doubt even self proclaimed Adele fans care about it.

Can we get a review of "Hello"?

holy shit we agree on something