Happy 40th anniversary to BOSS pedals. What's your favorite? Mine is a tie between pic related and the CH-1

Happy 40th anniversary to BOSS pedals. What's your favorite? Mine is a tie between pic related and the CH-1.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jNHiKGZBqCQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

DD-7 is the only one I have. I got it to make silly noises with and it does it.

My only Boss pedal - 1980 CE-2
Was given to me for free and I just fixed it a few months ago.

Metal Zone? Most people hate that thing. I'd like to get a Heavy Metal HM-2 and maybe a FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz. Or just built clones maybe.

I know most people hate the metal zone, but I don't play in a band or anything so I don't really care.

thats a very nice pedal

Well, I just tried 5 different distortion pedals and the Metal Core is so far the one I'll probably get.

I have one of those. It was way too noisy and the compression pedal I coupled it with fucked with the sound too much but maybe you'll have better luck with it.

>tfw no DM-2

I'm using a boss ds-1 until I can get my amp fixed. It's pretty good for the price. Metal Zones are pretty crap when used for their intended purpose but make nice EQ pedals if you hold back the gain.

the red one that makes loops

Is the generous amount of distortion the MT-2's problem?

"metal" pedals are a problem in general. If your going for that much gain, it needs to come out of the amp and not the pedal. Any pedal that has "metal" in the name is for kids who just started playing guitar.

Why is this? Is it the fact that the distortion is generated directly from the main hub itself rather than fed to it from an outside source?

DD-3

'spect

i think a gain booster is allright it helps if your playing with a bass amp

this yellow piece of shit has been in my chain for so long. I have level at 3 o'clock, tone at 10 o'clock, drive at 9 o'clock. works OK for me but I wish it was true bypass.

anyway, the best Boss pedal is probably the CE-2

Gain boosts are perfectly fine. That's why tube screamers are so popular; because their function is to either be a boost to your amp or just some light gain to brighten up your clean tone.

High gain metal pedals, however, are relied on as being the sole provider of distortion in your rig. This is dumb because they heavily over saturate and de-clarify your tone. Like I said, if youre kid whos just starting to play guitar because you heard your dads lamb of god albums, then buying a metal zone to play through your shitty practice amp is fine. But if youre in a gigging band and the metal zone is your sole source of distortion while you leave your amp on clean, well, you're going to be laughed at.

High gain amps like rectos, 5150's and JCM's offer just as much gain and superior clarity and control.

There are exceptions, tho. Cannibal Corpse and other DM bands used modded MT's, and like I said above, mostly as EQ pedals.

Fullbore or bust.

tfw use software

RV-3

I own three.

Give it to me as straight as you can. Is this pedal good or at least better than the MT-2?

y tho

I'm autistic.

idk it sounds nice and I needed to set a delay two three different settings so I just got my favorite delay, didn't pay more than 80 bucks for any of the 3.

you...I like you.

Oh you mean you're really specific with what delay settings you use for different songs and want to be able to switch between the settings instantly?

I've got a clone, sounds good

I usually set one to just reverb, one to annoyingly-long-stuttering/repeating delay and one to short delay, I'll use one at a time but sometimes two at the same time. I don't really do this often for songs though, mostly for fucking around. Plus I have to lend one to my guitarist when we play.

Little white box there is a MASF Raptio stutter/glitchy delay/freeze that I use to make things even more stuttery.

Makes sense. Just making sure you didn't actually mean the HM-2.
I actually have an EHX Metal Muff, which is based off the Metal Zone I think.

Thanks, it sounds great

Check out the Metal Muffs and its variants.
It's quite similar to the Metal Zone and maybe Metal Core, but you may like it more, if that's the sound you're going for. Don't be afraid to dial back the gain knob, and turn the mids up a bit. Too many people do the opposite.

It's worth mentioning that tube screamers do have clipping, and can get quite dirty. Just far less than a "metal" distortion. Mostly true though. Especially the exceptions part, I think bands like The Sword have gotten excellent tones from the Metal Muff.

youtube.com/watch?v=jNHiKGZBqCQ

I think I saw you on /gg/
Either that, or I'm thinking of the guy with two Swollen Pickles.

That probably sounds cool. Running several reverbs or delays is fun, I ran my SPX-90 on reverse gate mode (Kevin Shields) into my Polara for interesting sounds.

>just making sure you didn't mean the HM-2

I'm not sure what you mean. I never brought up the HM-2.

What if you use a good high gain metal pedal with a killer amp? (eg. a Thunderverb 200 into a 2x12")
Thoughts?

*through a dirty channel, obvs

If you're going to play a metal zone through the dirty channel it's going to sound like mush. If you play a tube screamer or any nice overdrive pedal it will be a nice boost.

HM-2, VB-2, DC-2

only have the HM-2 (And it's broken :(

Metal Core is great for Death Metal.

What kind of amp do you hook it into?

Is it capable of making Frippertronics? It has quite a lot of delay time, if I recall correctly.

I use this particular pedal when I have to plug into the PA when playing the open mikes. I've never played through a proper tube amp but I've been told that the sound is similar. All dials are set at 2:00 O'Clock.

OC2

DD-3 if i had to choose one

big fan of DS1, Blues Driver as well