HEAD OUT ON THE HIGHWAY

HEAD OUT ON THE HIGHWAY

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSzL5-SPHM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This movie makes me sad in uncountable ways

This movie makes me sad because it's the first I guess serious movie I watched with my dad and understood.

Why?

because everybody dies for no reason other than "lol stupid backwards southern hicks"

literally this town just marks these guys for death becaus they ride motorcycles... and that's it. Pretty sure as fucked up as the bible belt was in the 60s, it wasn't THAT bad.

Not that user, but it's a story where two guys try to make their way in the world outside of society, realize things haven't gone the way they planned, then when they're about to look for something new they get casually murdered by a couple of brainless hicks. Depressing as hell when you stop and think about it.
But still good

faggot draft dodgers they should have been over in the nam killing gooks like red blooded males

I've always had a predilection toward the gypsy/drifter lifestyle. It's a thing I saw in full swing in Easy Rider and wanted desperately to emulate. Still do. But the metaphor at the end of the group being wantonly killed by hicks is too fucking real. These days, as well as the tail end of the 60's, you can't be weird and not have a car, house, employment, family. Society will phase you out.

Seems to me society has more pieces of shit and wastes of space now than ever before and the prevailing culture is how great this is so I don't know why you're acting like there's some monolithic "society man" keeping you down.

You just have to find the right place. Move to Austin, Portland or Victoria, BC and you'll be with your kind.

I was kind of disappointed with it. Kind of just stumbled about at the end.

That's because the end was shot first and they had no idea what they really wanted to do.

That graveyard acid trip was kind of fucked

I hate Born to Be Wild but the rest of the soundtrack was surprisingly good.

>black people spent a century living with those fears and I'm supposed to feel bad all of a sudden that two drug dealer burnouts got shot
The movie has it's head up it's ass with the "tragedy" of it, they just can't accept our freedom maaaan, we chose to act like this and they don't like it. Meanwhile people got attacked routinely in the same area just for being born. Once you put it in perspective Easy Rider is a bit silly

You completely missed the point of the "we blew it" line before the end. They set out on this big trip to rebel against conformity and find themselves and whatnot, but all they did is get high. Yes people are close minded, but the commune they visit is a failure, their hippy values are meaningless, they have accomplished nothing on this big trip. They aren't even happy after Mardi Gras. Cap was happiest at the mexican's house in the beginning, admiring his big family and loving wife.

I love that the three big counter culture movies of the late 60s (Easy Rider, Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate) have unbelievably pessimistic views of the baby boomer generation and their cultural revolution. All three end in tragedy, all their characters' rebellions are shown to be futile. And somehow all became huge hits with the same generation they critique.

>The movie has it's head up it's ass with the "tragedy" of it, they just can't accept our freedom maaaan, we chose to act like this and they don't like it.

This is the only point I totally disagree with, but you're spot-on with everything else.

I was being a smart ass but really, if push came to shove they could cut their hair and change their clothes. They shouldn't have to, but they can. The real victims of Southern prejudice and violence couldn't.

>Missed the point
I wouldn't say that I missed it exactly, just that I'm looking at their situation with idealist eyes. Given the circumstances, I'd probably be high all the time as well. I mean why not? But the romantic side of being a road-hobo is attractive to me. And yeah, Cap's realization that their wasting their time is not lost on me. It's just another bummer.

who else /ToniBasel/ here? what a beaut she was in this

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSzL5-SPHM

IM JUST ASKING WHERE YOURE FROM MAN

This movie really changed things. Most directors at that time just shot things like a play, but this director said "why dont we do this from over here" and got those classic shots. And the horror was from what you DIDN'T see. That's the magic of it.

I love film.