Discuss

Discuss

Complete shit after season 4

Pretty much this

Ending was terrible too

i dropped it years ago in a season where i think they had the "4 horsmen" and a killer who had his "mentor" in a freezer
should i rewatch or have i already watched the good parts?

Complete shit after episode 1

Complete shit after the surprise motherfucker died.

Season 1, 2 and 4 are good. Rest is shit. Especially the seasons that had some glimmer of hope to be good but was squashed by retarded writers.

>New serial killer in town
>Development at the station that might compromise Dexter's secret
>New companion who claims that they're the only to have ever truly understand Dexter and he falls for it every time
>Deb whores around with some new minority
What season am I talking about?

Currently rewatching it now, just finished Season 1 now watching Season 2, plan to stop after the end of Season 4, anything after that is complete garbage.

That being said Season 1 and 2 were GOAT, killing of Doakes was incredibly detrimental to the series.

We lumberjack now

literally this

Dexter should have hooked up with Astor after Rita's death.

Ever notice how Doakes was literally the only one who could see through his bullshit? Is it because Black people are good at spotting crazies or because special ops trained him to look for shit like this?

Why does Dave have blood all over him? Doesn't Rico do much of the body work?

it's good plebshit unlike other plebshits it's enjoyable plebshit unlike le funny nzt man for instance

He was paranoid PTSD ridden negro.

just started watching this im at season 5 should i stop ?

too late

p much this senpai

>Is it because Black people are good at spotting crazies or because special ops trained him to look for shit like this?

It's stated more explicitly in the books don't read the books, they're shit, but the reason he was able to pick up on Dexter being a psycho murderer is that he's basically one himself and the whole special ops/renegade cop thing was his way of fulfilling his desire to kill. It's why Dex is able to frame him so easily, because him going full serial killer really isn't that much of a stretch.

Man i miss robodoakes threads

I opened this thread solely for the shut up picture with Lithgow. Come on Sup Forums

If it's any consolation, it doesn't get any worse.

Because that would be impossible.

No just leave it the hazy mess you remember it. If anything rewatch the first two seasons and stop.

shit show

and i'm here for harrison falling off the treadmill, where are the memes?

Man the final season threads were fucking gold
>that fucking scene where dexter stalks a guy in fucking plain view and then wonders why he got seen

>wife is murdered
>burns his shed down full of evidence
>this isn't suspicious to police in any way

I remember thinking the one with Colin Hanks was alright, admittedly I wasn't watching it all that intently

This series died with Doakes.

I'm almost finished for the first time. Halfway through the last season and struggling to continue but fuck I have to see this through

are you forgetting season 3 was shit also?

the woman in season 2 was annoying as well, but the Dexter vs Doakes storyline was legendary.

Started nice but went on for way too long.

I've just finished the first season and it's nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. It's definitely not in the same category as the other shows people always list it with. The dialogue is awful, none of the actors are good and most of the characters are completely flat. The scenes with dexter and Rita are so cringey too he acts like a 12 year old kid it's so stupid

Doakes has been exposed to psychotic killers in his past, and can pick up on them. Remember the episode he murdered someone under that bridge? That guy was one of them, and Doakes was dishing out vigilante justice.

Watch the documentary The Act of Killing. Basically Doakes spent some of his military career in places with people like that.

an addition to this.

this is based on what's implied in the tv series. i haven't read the books, and other anons have commented that in the books, he himself killed people in this manner while on military duty.

Doakes also gets his arms, legs and tongue chopped off in the books, and just lives as a vegetable for some reason. I think it was the first book, too.

The books are trash btw, don't bother

>kill main characters love interest that we've been invested in for 4 fucking seasons in a shocking twist
>replace her within 4 episodes
Fuck Lumen and fuck post season 4 Dexter so god damn much.

>Doakes also gets his arms, legs and tongue chopped off in the books, and just lives as a vegetable for some reason. I think it was the first book, too.

Second book. First book is actually okay and is basically Dexter season 1 with the Ice Truck Killer although the ending is different (Dex lets Brian get away, kills Laguerta and Deb learns he's a serial killer).

Book 2 is about some psychopath torture expert from Doakes' old unit they called Dr. Danko (a brand name of a blender or something?) who basically delimbed people. Doakes and Dexter both end up on his table at the end of it, with a lot of anime REVEAL YOUR POWER LEVEL shit about their dark passenger/reptile brains squaring off with each other. Dex comes out on top, but Doakes has already been sliced up and gets plugged into a speech computer or some shit in a later book. I think later books include demons, which gives you an idea of how much worse the TV series could have been.

Drop it now. First season is the only good one so if you aren't onboard now you're in for a very bad time

He mistrusted all white men not just dexter

Are you sure? I know the later seasons are shit but I've heard good things about season 4

> I think later books include demons

Yeah, the "Dark Passenger" is actually some Moloch biblical demon inside Dexter

Idk why they killed him off so early He helped make Dexter somewhat memorable

Season 4 is only considered good because of the shit immediately before and after it. It's still worse than the first two and features a lot of Ghost Dad.

Dark passenger works better as a metaphor.

His sister was the most insufferable cunt I've ever seen on television.

That fucking satisfying payoff at the end of S1. The audience knew the "secret" that Rudy was the Ice Truck Killer, so we weren't expecting any more twists and just watching for the reveal to Dexter. Then that house flashback...
>Dexter's mom
>Those painted nails
>"Where could your brother be hiding?"

S2 brought the show back strong with some real interesting drama and the tables turned against Dexter. The overall plot of the show advances in new ways.

S3, while maybe weaker than previous seasons, still explores fresh areas in the Dexter world. We see him experiment with a confidant for the first time, and learn some valuable lessons. Deb gets closer to making the Moser connection.

S4 is a return to form with satisfying and believable tie-ins from show history (Lundy's return), and demonstrates the show's willingness to explore some very dark places. Also John Lithgow absolutely killing it. Come on. That fucking ending.

What follows are essentially rehashes of themes already explored. Dexter having a confidant, Dexter's ability to love, etc etc. But in an almost insulting way, the show disregards lessons learned in the past and pretends it's treading fresh ground with these recycled storylines. The seasons no longer advance any greater show plot or contribute to it's mythology. The seasons are essentially sitcom quality - all plot lines lead nowhere or are resolved sloppily, and we always end exactly where we started. Chocked full of filler and dead ends, the show chases it's tail for the remainder of the series offering ham-fisted conclusions thrown together at the last second.

I've never seen a show start off so strong and devolve into such a mess.

S5 almost redeemed itself with the Deb reveal. It walked us right up to the bleeding edge of it only to shrug it's shoulders and walk away. That was the first of many fuck you's from the writers.

>The seasons no longer advance any greater show plot or contribute to it's mythology

Not entirely true, the biggest changes in the later seasons were about Debra's arc and her discovering the truth about Dexter.

Too bad it was done terribly and everything else around it was an unmitigated disaster.

Man. Every time I read more about these books, the more unbelievable and horrible these books sound. Doesn't Dexter also fight a vampire as well?

Yep, most retarded decision right here.

Killing literally any other major character would have been acceptable.

Which should have been paid off in S5, not dragged out like it was. It became a transparent carrot-on-a-stick plot device to the point where you didn't give a shit when it finally happened.

You mean S6. S5 had the typical cocktease "Deb almost discovers Dexter!" conclusion.

I honestly think S7 was pretty good, at least all the parts related to Dexter/Debra/LaGuerta

I wish we had a more faithful adaptation from the books, with Dexter being possessed by a devil, Doakes being a cyborg, Laguerta a werewolf who shoot missiles and then we found out Debra was an alien.

No I mean S5. All the groundwork for a reveal was there. Deb warming up to the "romantic" idea of vigilante killers, painting her as sympathetic. Right up until the very end with that plastic sheet. But she just turns and walks away. "Doesn't want to know." You can't go from all that build up and then try to work back up to it again. That was their chance and they blew it hard because they had no more ideas and needed to drag shit out.

I watched every season except the last one. I feel like it progressively got worse. Not from good to awful. It just got different in a way that wasn't good.

it will be awful

just like the last 3 to 4 seasons

Ghost Dad is treated more as a physical manifestation of the dark passenger in S4 since Harry is clearly on the side of "none of this family shit is real, you're a monster Dexter you don't change"
It's only later he seems to basically be a ghost talking to Dexter.

Season 8 is a special kind of bad.
>Hannah returns and becomes Harrison's mom
>new villian is like the mewtwo to dexters mew
>dex straight up murders the villian on camera in the police station and nobody gives a fuck
>deb dies of a blood clot offscreen
>dexter rides into a hurricane that turns him into a lumberjack

It's a shame the later half is horrifyingly shit.

as much as I loved him, I can't think of much else he could have done after Season 2.

I had an idea how the show should have ended. Instead of the lumberjack ending we got it should have been made like the intro to the episode: Dexter doing mundane shit but with a killer vide. So all I'm saying is it should have been like that but now with the kid and his woman.