After The Babadook: Jennifer Kent's new film tackles Australia's violent colonial history

>“It’s certainly not a horror film,” she says, comparing it with The Babadook, “but it’s a pretty horrific world.”
>The Nightingale is about the “pointlessness of revenge”, Kent says. A 21-year-old Irish convict called Claire chases a British soldier through the rugged Tasmanian wilderness, bent on revenge for a terrible act of violence he committed against her family. She enlists the services of an Indigenous tracker called Billy, who is also marked by trauma from his own violence-filled past.
>Although not based on a true story, she wanted the film to adhere closely to the reality of the era. Any concern that her imagined stories were too heinous or over-the-top were quickly mitigated by a trip to the history section of her library, she says, where she learned of the island’s comparably gruesome past. She discovered the British empire’s worst repeat criminals were sent to Tasmania – the rapists, murderers and everyone they “couldn’t handle” on the mainland. “It was seen as hell-on-earth at the time,” she says.
theguardian.com/film/2016/may/30/the-nightingale-not-horror-like-the-babadook-but-a-pretty-horrific-world

DROPPED so hard

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bBIubgsfK8E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds good desu.

Kind of like an outback The Raid.

>She discovered the British empire’s worst repeat criminals were sent to Tasmania – the rapists, murderers and everyone they “couldn’t handle” on the mainland.
wth i hate tasmania now

>expecting anything else from a woman

Walkabout 2: R-Rated Boogaloo

As a proud Shitpostistani citizen and descedant of early Tasmanian settlers this triggers me. Delet pls.

>It’s certainly not a horror film
neither was that piece of shit 'babadook'

it sounds like it has potential, at least.

oh for fuck sake

How can you feel bad for a people whose only technological breakthrough for their entire history was a slightly sharper stick?

all the more reason to feel bad for them

So long as it isn't pushing some "le evil white men" message it will be alright

>Irish woman hunting and killing britbongs

Nice. Too bad it's not a daily documentary series.

>Shitposters fucked these things

>woman and nigger chasing whitey

give us a break

Bloody Sunday should have lasted all week

I had hoped the Revenant would kill all future revenge flicks.

All britcucks must fucking hang.

>mfw potatoes and their inferiority complex

but revenge flicks are great.

>The Nightingale is about the “pointlessness of revenge”

true, but not when they're about
>muh pointlessness of revenge, turn the other cheek

yes? and? i just said revenge flicks were great.

youtube.com/watch?v=bBIubgsfK8E

It'll probably be a pyrrhic victory.

>Beautiful piano music
>Enter terrible apes smashing some sticks together
TOLERANCE! WE ARE EQUAL! RACE IS A SOCIAL CONSTRUCT!

Wait, Babadook was made by a chick? Holy shit that explains everything, the masturbating in front of her son, the bondage, etc.

Australians make movies?