Which one had the most wasted potential?

Which one had the most wasted potential?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JnPvnIKCJYA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nick drake easy. have you heard his post-pink moon songs senpai

If they lived:

-Nirvanaman would've pumped out a few bland post-grunge albums and become totally irrelevant within a few years
-Nick would've gone adult-contemporary and probably fuck with reggae or whatever trendy world music shlock in the 80s
-Jeff would become a soul diva and make a cheesy R&B album
-Jimi could've made another truly great album and then go the way of Eric Clapton (instant fossilization)

Hendrix. Not even close. Most wasted potential in music history. Such a stupid way to die

I don't know the other two but I gotta come clean, jimi probably had the most wasted potential he only had the one album with the new band, he also planned to do shit with miles davis and it would be interesting to know what he'd have done in the 80s

Buckley

Trips, must be true

..Personally I think each was wasted in their own way. If Kurt kicked heroin, Courtney, grunge, and became a family man he could have made some cool albums.

Nick had a lot in him, but Pink Moon still sounds thin. How much greatness could have been squeezed from him?

Jimmie had a great series of albums and would've continued to be awesome and then eventually he would be replaced by some other guitarist.

Buckley had plenty of potential. I would have loved to have seen what he's capable of.

Kurt should have been a folk musician

i would say his daddy was more tragic but he seemed like he was already done with the artistic stuff by the time he died
but what he did do was far beyond anything his son recorded

I want to say Hendrix but part of me thinks he'd just release a bunch of 15 minute droning songs where he's just blazed and experiment with different gear instead of more songs like Voodoo Child or Fire

They all probably could have made more great music but Jeff Buckley is the one I most wish I could hear more music from. One album, some rough demos and live recordings and that was it.

I've never been the biggest fan of Hendrix but he released a decent deal of music in his time and I'm satisfied with what we've got. Drake and Cobain had literally given up on life anyway so I don't even trust that they hadn't completely exhausted themselves mentally by that point. Buckley though was just getting started and very much wanted to continue on. I feel like he had more places left to go than any of them.

I don't think Hendrix ever reached his potential as a proto-Noise Rock madman. He could've done even more amazing things with the guitar if he lived to when the technology came up.

I read or saw an interview where Zappa said he would have liked to write down some of Hendrix's music. There could have been some great stuff from that.

Dude Jimi would have recorded Bitches Brew with Miles Davis........

its nick drake vs jimi hendrix

Holy shit. Just imagine

Buckley, you can tell by his last demos he was moving into weird almost atonal territory
The rest of them had said everything they were ever going to say at the point of death.

>ywn hear Jimi and SRV play together

I haven't heard the demos, but I doubt you used the word atonal correctly, and I doubt it would have been as far out as his dad

Hendrix for sure. Pretty sure he was planning to work with Miles Davis. Either way, if he was around during the peak of prog, p-funk and jazz fusion he could have made some incredible music. He died to soon to make much other than psych-tinged blues rock and a little bit of funk on Band of Gypsys.

Buckley wold be second. I expect he would have made some more great albums, but unlike with Hendrix I don't think we necessarily missed something historical.

I like all of them and think all of them would have made more great music. Ridiculous loss of potential.

Still, I'll say Hendrix was the biggest loss because of his tremendous skill. Probably would have pumped out a few more great albums and do some collaborations (Miles Davis).

hendrix. miles davis was going to train him

>I doubt it would have been as far out as his dad
Not quite, but it was leaning in that direction.
He was getting into using odd dissonant chord progressions.

imagine if nick drake was just as creative but he wasnt disorder central

jesus

I wonder if things would have turned out different if he achieved the success he desired?

Bitches Brew came out while Jimi was still alive though

As a song writer and rock star, Cobain. As guitar player, Hendrix.

I think you mean this guy, but it was fortunate his death allowed a legend to make it.

same

Realistic but perhaps a little too harsh

KC would have been like David Bowie if you ask me

Nick one sounds accurate, that or toil around in folk obscurity

Nah to Jeff he was too weird for that

Nah to Jimi he would experimented further then probably burned out then had a comeback with some decent tracks

Drix.

jimi would have gone further into production experiments and world fusion styles like can. He might have even done some early metal stuff that he influenced. He would be playing at a level like Fripp but more soulful and emotion driven

Maybe, but I think he had some underlying issues that fame and success can't fix. He might not have been as far gone as Kurt Cobain, but his shyness and reclusive tendencies arguably hindered his own chance at more success when he was alive.

Honestly I know Cobain's stuff the best and probably listen to him more than the others, but I have to go:

Hendrix > Drake > Cobain > Buckley

It was tough putting Hendrix above Drake. I think Drake was honestly the most creative songwriter of any of them, but as a musician Hendrix is just kind of on another level. In rock music they're all greats, but for music in general Hendrix is really something special.

> tfw I'm 27 and I've never done anything I'm proud of

> tfw if life doesn't pick up after grad school I'll probably off myself

>He might have even done some early metal stuff that he influenced
I remember hearing that he thought rock music was too obsessed with getting 'heavier'

Chuck Schuldiner.

Clearly Hendrix, and apparently the board agrees, though at the volume he was playing his ears were going to give, I'm not sure he could have done many more years, certainly a couple more albums, the stuff he was getting into was showing even more potential

Yeah, after reading more from this thread I've changed my mind about Jimi.

His style has much more staying power than Clapton and he was more willing to experiment. He really could've had a great 70s career.

Purely from a creative standpoint all of them had serious potential but to me it's between Buckley and Hendrix simply because they were primed and ready to go for more whereas Cobain and Drake had other issues to contend with.

that picture is missing Elliott Smith

predictions:
Cobain would've gone folky singer/songwriter, he was already headed in that direction. The interesting thing is, I bet he would've also altered the careers of Greg Sage and Michael Stipe, both of whom had planned collaborations with him before he died.

Jimi Hendrix would've done some experimentation, yeah, probably like or even with that whole Fripp/Eno/Cale crowd. However, I bet he would've gotten into jazz, especially considering all the wild stuff Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, and Fela Kuti were doing in the 70s. And the other thing is, I bet he would've had more blues in him too. We have the strongest basis for the blues stuff, but if he'd gotten in on the post-bop jazz scene, that would have been amazing.

I'm sure Drake had more great albums in him, but I doubt there would've been many big surprises. His music always seems to fit the same mood or feeling, and I suspect he would've continued along that path.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buckley turned out to be a one album wonder. Great vocalist, but was the songwriting really that strong? His best song by far was a cover. I could be wrong, though - he's the one of the four I'm least familiar with

Released: March 30, 1970
Died: September 18, 1970
Fucking children I swear

>Greg Sage and Michael Stipe

Interesting, but I don't think much would've come of it. These alt rock supergroups never work, and since they were all principle songwriters in their respective bands I just can't seen Cobain working well with either of them.

I do think Greg Sage's career would've been revived, though.

Yea it's Hendrix.

Listen to the four official albums: the three Experience ones and then Band of Gypsis. Four albums in four years, each pushing further and further with no sign of stopping. Plus he was in the process of hooking up with Miles who was already deep in the psych funk noise groove world. Hendrix went out at the top of his game.

Jeff, he always admired the more experimental albums of his father so I'd assume that he'd have done something along those lines. I don't like his albums that much but I think if he would have had the chance to go down that rode we'd have a really great J. Buckley album now.

Yeah, I also noticed it's missing Hillel

*road

>Jimi with Fripp/Eno/Cale
:drool:

>Cobain would've gone folky singer/songwriter, he was already headed in that direction. The interesting thing is, I bet he would've also altered the careers of Greg Sage and Michael Stipe, both of whom had planned collaborations with him before he died.
Interesting thoughts on Cobain. He probably would have been good with that style if Unplugged was any indication. I'm sort of glad a project with Michael Stipe never materialized because I'm glad Stipe never had a proper distraction from R.E.M.

>Jimi Hendrix would've done some experimentation, yeah, probably like or even with that whole Fripp/Eno/Cale crowd. However, I bet he would've gotten into jazz, especially considering all the wild stuff Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, and Fela Kuti were doing in the 70s. And the other thing is, I bet he would've had more blues in him too. We have the strongest basis for the blues stuff, but if he'd gotten in on the post-bop jazz scene, that would have been amazing.
Probably all true about Hendrix.

*a Bitches Brew equivalent
and it would have been fucking insane.

>I'm sure Drake had more great albums in him, but I doubt there would've been many big surprises. His music always seems to fit the same mood or feeling, and I suspect he would've continued along that path.
I completely agree, and that's exactly what I'd want with a fourth Nick Drake album.

>I wouldn't be surprised if Buckley turned out to be a one album wonder. Great vocalist, but was the songwriting really that strong? His best song by far was a cover. I could be wrong, though - he's the one of the four I'm least familiar with
This one I disagree with. His songwriting was that strong and it seemed to be only getting better. Hallelujah probably isn't even Jeff Buckley's best cover let alone the best song on Grace. My prediction for Jeff Buckley is he would have continued his solo career first by finishing My Sweetheart the Drunk, then kept Cocteau Twins out of retirement for another year with a Twins/Buckley collaboration album (which it seems they were considering), then maybe even cut some tracks with Elliott Smith or Chris Cornell or something.

>Which one had the most wasted potential?

me...

>then maybe even cut some tracks with Elliott Smith

That's interesting, why do you say that? Their styles were kind of different and they had only met once briefly. I remember an interview where Elliott talked about Jeff after his death, but I can't find or remember it.

jimi hendrix of course

No

>Twins/Buckley collaboration album (which it seems they were considering)
youtube.com/watch?v=JnPvnIKCJYA
they already had one song done

Jimi would have invented Shoegaze 20 years earlier

It really sucks that Fraser and Buckley broke up. Imagine the vocals of the kid they could have had.

Jimi Hendrix>Jeff Buckley>Kurt Cobain>Nick Drake

He could have also collaborated with ELP.

>KC would have been like David Bowie if you ask me
You have to be fucking delusional to think that.
Kurt didn't have the skill or the desire to be that diverse, he regarded everyone different to him as being "sellouts", he hated overdubs, and outside session musicians.
He would have just kept on churning out poppy punk rock with feedback all over it until everyone got bored and he became a washed up oldie like Corgan and Vedder

It's a pretty tough call, but it's probably Hendrix or Cobain. Buckley left behind some good music post-Grace but I don't think he had much more potential. Same with Drake. Hendrix was moving onto Band of Gypses and nobody really knows where Cobain would have gone.

Nirvana's 4th studio album was going to be "acoustic and ethereal" according to Kurt before he died.

Nick and Jimmy of course

He can play his songs on electric guitar, or acoustic guitar. That's the extent of his range.

Sad but true. The only reason Cobain gets his necrotic cock sucked so much was because his brains got blown out the back of his skull. There was little to indicate the talent or ability to push the bounds (in b4 "zomg teh unplugged album!" idiots).

The "grr fuck the man I'm so angry!" bit works well when you're a dirty ass kid clawing your way up in the industry, but once you make it you need to change your tune to something that seems believable or you'll look like a fucking try-hard. Usually artists who make it just stagnate and retire into comfortable musical tropes.

Listen to the boring dad-rock-by-numbers stuff Grohl pumps out. Take something like that but slap some asthmatic vocals on it and you've got your "What If" Nirvana albums

It's just conjecture on my part. They seem like guys who could have worked something out, Elliott was just starting to really gain traction right around when Jeff died. They knew the same drummer as well apparently.

I know, that's where the suspicion that they would collaborate started in the first place. That song is beautiful, I wish they could have done more.

>There was little to indicate the talent or ability to push the bounds
It's just fun pop music dude. not every artist has to be cutting edge and boundary pushing

But society celebrates it as such, and that's the problem. Th same think happened to punk and a good deal of hip hop.

I didn't know... why must life be so unfair?

Nick Drake didn't want to make music anymore.

>But society celebrates it as such, and that's the problem
Why is that a problem?
To them it was cutting edge and at the time you didn't have things like the internet to really listen to such diverse amounts of music as you can now. This was something new to the masses. Good, too (in my opinion).

hendrix's career would have been more interesting than the others. he was already fusing and experimenting with different types of music when he was a live, and miles davis was going to tutor him. given enough time i can see him doing whacked out psychedelic funky bebop or something, who knows.

i can't see the other guys experimenting that much. cobain seemed mostly stuck in rocky punk stuff, he may have turned into some type of iggy pop type of character. nick drake would have probably mostly stuck with folky guitar stuff, and i don't know much about buckley.