Australia at the Olympics

>Australia at the Olympics

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/sp/thread/70211340/
theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/15/brutal-but-effective-why-team-gb-is-winning-so-many-olympic-medals
uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/how-uk-sport-funding-works
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Tokyo 2020: 0 0 0

>Host nations always win more medals just before, during and just after their olympics

Really makes you use your brain

USA stole their swimming medals

This:

I hope that doesn't happen to us

Consistently getting less and less medals each Olympics, odd really. Maybe there just aren't as many talented athletes coming through in Aus.

Their Athens relative to Sydney looks a bit like our Rio relative to London

If this pattern holds then we're fucked in Tokyo

John's got us covered, we'll be well funded as long as people are dumb enough to buy lottery tickets

Nah there's something particular wrong with Australia at the moment, and even their media are wondering what's happening.

Well, they did get more gold medals in Athens, which is important. I think a big part of them getting less medals is their swimmers just aren't as good as the ones in Sydney/Athens.

>told us to vote Remain or Southern Ireland will invade Ulster

Might be interesting to get a break down by sport to see which one is bleeding those medals.

I reckon probably swimming. They've historically raped swimming for medals, but haven't got anywhere in the pool this year.

Swimming

We haven't been able to replicate that amount of great swimmers at the same time like we had with Ian Thorpe, Grant Hackett, Susie O'Neil etc

Its also why Phelps is GOAT because he keeps cucking us and the rest of the world out of gold medals

Wew

We were shit before Beijing

Really makes you think.... hmmmm....

>one (1) gold

What the fuck happened in Atlanta?

Everything pre-national lottery funding was just terrible, Atlanta was a turning point, losing to Ireland, there was no greater humiliation

What the fuck happened in 1908?

No we weren't shit you mong. We have more gold medals overall to similar European countries who have competed in the same amount of Olympic games.

Hosted

>you mong

Don't you dare speak to me like that. Delete your post and apologise.

APOLOGISE

Do you remember at the start of this Olympics all the Aussie shitposting then it disappeared after a week?

>Even at their own Olympics, with 630 athletes, they could still only manage 16 gold medals

We hosted it, duh. Not as bad as when America hosted it in 1904, and no one else could really be bothered to turn up.

Rigged to shit and hosting obviously.

Apologise

>Atlanta
Shitty host nation with bad facilities, bad accents and gobshite venues desu

Apologise too

What? 1904 Games were clearly rigged for the hosts as well. No shame admitting when your country cheated.

How could we forget when Americans are still absolutely SEETHING over it?

Great Britain - the only nation to win at least 1 gold medal at every single Summer Olympic games.

No shit we hosted. In comparison to 1948/2012 and every other Olympics that's complete annihilation though.

TSU

So what explains 2008 then?

Well we have sent way less athletes in the other olypmics by comparison to sydney

What will Australia do when New Zealand surpasses them?

I missed it :(

And I love it when the aussies wind up the yanks

It wasn't rigged it was just the fact back then the olympics weren't that popular, it was completely amateur and most athletes didn't want to travel - especially not transatlantic etc. When they had to do it off their own back + be on a boat for ages each way

>1904
>3 athletes
>2 medals
>still 6th
What was this? An olympics for ants?

Doesn't make much of a difference because when you're host nation you can automatically put your athletes in every sport even if they're shit

E.g. the GB basketball team in London 2012

Basically means you lose more

Wow, that's legitimately interesting. What happened? Travel issues?

GB is the 3rd most awarded country OF ALL TIME

>summer babbies

Yeah, no-one could be arsed to turn up

We're carrying the same mindset as the early 2000s with large contingents of athletes, while most other nations are only backing potential winners.

The UK is a perfect example, basically everyone they put in has a good shot at a medal. We're just sending dead weight and not focusing on our best. And thus our best are choking.

Tokyo should be fine for you. It's 2024 when your London generation athletes are gone that the eternal anglo will lose again.

>It's 2024 when your London generation athletes are gone that the eternal anglo will lose again.

It's true that GB's medal count will stabilise over time, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll suddenly drop hugely down the medal table. The whole funding structure with UK Sport and the National Lottery helps this.

lel we're going in the opposite direction to the convicts

Never forget the Aussie rage:

well yeah, the government cut spending to sport after Sydney 2000 and even more so when the GFC happened

Basically our olympic funding got gutted, plus sydney was right in the middle of our golden generation of swimmers.

>The whole funding structure with UK Sport and the National Lottery helps this.
until they decide to divert those funds into something else that isn't a bunch of irrelevant meme sports

>Kowardly Kuckautist kalls KUCK MODS
Still SHOOK from day one lmao

Can you explain this?

I assume there is a state-owned lottery company and the profits fund Team GB?

That won't last forever. One day there will be an economic downturn and the government of the day will decide to privatise the lottery company or divert the funds elsewhere.

>still shilling this narrative
No one believes you, not even your own countrymen. Try again in 2 years, cuck.

iirc there were events for shit like painting and poetry

I was told that the campbell sisters would bring home multiple golds

surely there's still time right

d-delet this

>cate campbell: gold medallist
>bronte campbell: gold medallist
mission accomplished :^)

Talking heads on the TV were crying just now about how we should stop bullying our athletes for not getting more medals. Just being there is good enough they said.

So participating is all that's needed now to justify the millions spent. We've become soft cocks.

Our teams were absolutely shit this year. Hockey was a massive let-down and women's basketball blew it. We've probably weakened in rowing, and our swim team is definitely going backwards

But, the real point of this thread:
>poobsession

Aye, the same guy who claimed to create cool britannia and britpop

Call me when that day happens.

> What went wrong?
Poor results in swimming and cycling medalfests.

Also not pissing purple enough.

>he's still posting it
>he's still giving me free (You)s
>he keeps using a word he learned 4 days ago from me

His obsession and autism know no bounds

The US and hungry started doping in the pool and the poms started doping on the bikes.

And cycling. And rowing.

they did this last time too

it's the media's fault in a lot of cases for hyping people up who were never any chance of getting a medal

home advantage

theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/15/brutal-but-effective-why-team-gb-is-winning-so-many-olympic-medals

uksport.gov.uk/our-work/investing-in-sport/how-uk-sport-funding-works

Olympic athletes back then were all amateur. And to travel from Europe to America took a pretty expensive steamship.

my per capita's has failed...

lol i think we also spent over $350m training our atheletes with the aim of at least 15 gold medals so we have failed miserably

so basically its like $5mill per gold medal or something embarrassing like that

we failed with the per capita's and would have spent the most money per gold so i guess we win that?

rEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Home games. Multiple golds in the Tug o' War, Shin Kicking and Ferret-Legging.

Have another cuckboi.

You'll need all the (you)s you can get when the crippling irrelevance of your country sets in a few days from now.

No shitposting sports

if >we cuck america out of a gold in the apehoop will that make up for it all?

Close.

That would have to be the mightiest cucking of all time. Britain's women have more chance of beating the Netherlands in the hockey final on Friday.

Choking in the pool. The Campbell twins were supposed to be an easy 5 medals with high chances of 3 of those being gold. They didn't even medal in the individual events.

this is what would have happened if our swimmers had matched their best times of 2016, not even considering PBs or their swims last year at the world champs

is this autism on a national level

They'll redeem themselves by pulling off an improbable gold medal win in men's basketball.

Our team is filled with a bunch of choking faggots that would rather dick around on a cruise ship and watch women's volleyball than practice.

That is if we get by Spain.

people aren't happy m8, they're tax payer funded

it's really only the media, normal people here just accept whatever happens at the olympics. it would've been nice to win more gold and medals, but there's no point in complaining about what you can't change. life goes on... it's not a big deal to most people.

Funding has been cut pretty harshly since the early 2000's so that could be one reason why we're no good.

I'd more put it down to the fact that we had a golden generation of athletes and now they're all retired and we're back to being mediocre.

Yeah, like NRL and AFL, which are played globally.......................

Handegg raped our Olympic teams. USA is large enough to survive it but our obsession with the foooooty has killed the Olympic team. We're not even good at the povertyball that everyone else cares about.

fuck the olympics, up the fucking hawkies

>hurr hurr fuck your actual international sports, I'll just masturbate in the corner to sports no one else plays

Too much energy wasted making lame excuses and shitposting online and not enough training in the pool tßh.

OP here, lel, didn't expect replies so this was nice to come back to.

Honestly I feel bad for Australia for taking such a downward turn with seemingly no effort made to stop it. Of course it's great for the UK, but you cunts don't deserve this. Would rather it happened to the Yanks.

>funding sports by problem gamblers

Australia would be loads better at these things if we didn't waste time on insular sports no one else gives a shit about.

If all our AFL talent started playing football at a young age we'd be a top 20 nation easily, we'd have more swimmers, sprinters and jumpers etc.

But nah, people here like to masgerbate to sports that no one else gives a fuck about. So much wasted potential.

>wasting talent
>povertyball
No bigger waste on earth. A lot of our best go to Rugby, lot's of people give a fuck about that, and it's actually a decent fucking game to watch
>90 minutes
>0-0

Become an hero

>Giving a fuck about sports that aren't footy
get out of my country.

AFL is the best spectator sport though. It's incredibly fun to watch.
You can also make mad money playing it and have a career that lasts over 10 years.
It's capitalism 101 that the industry that pays more money will get the best resources.

Other countries have upped their PED game.

>our olympic funding got gutted,

Bruh, what the fuck???
The swimming team got a chartered jet to fly them there.
40,000,000AUD over the past 4 years of tax payer money thrown at them.

>Canada sent 56 athletes
>Managed to medaled to 4th place behind Germany who only sent 22 and fucking Cuba who only FUCKING 3.

What a disgrace.

>implying that Poostralia isn't doping as well if the Americans and Hungarian are doping.
Git gud.