youtube.com/watch?v=QD6NaHforRQ
youtu.be/iYpydJm3L4A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read tabs

write lyrics that rhyme

Use a synthesizer

Primarily play in Drop D

Why do you hate your pointer finger?

what if i just want to play songs i like and don't want to try to be fucking stevie ray vaughn?

then what's the point? can you atleast figure songs out on your own?

Not learn theory

But synths are fun and versatile

>what's the point?
is it inconceivable that someone with minimal experience would want to play songs for fun?

The only valid thing posted in this thread. OP is retarded.

Guitar players who only know how to play barre, CAGED, and 7th chords.

what if i cant sing in G

you dont need a capo to play in different keys

Musicians who use premade instruments and don't build an instrument themselves on a per note basis to have complete control over the sound.

>he hasn't crafted his own musical tradition and notation system
philistines

This

Everything else in this thread is a meme but playing in drop D is the number one sign you suck at guitar and can't actually play it.

>just

you are a fucking retard. You are either too mediocre to play something more than strummed chords without any melody in it or too mediocre to care about having the best tone possible when you perform.

>Paco de Lucia
>Bad player cause using capo
youtube.com/watch?v=QD6NaHforRQ

play music

Sure, but it lets you get open string timbres in a different key without retuning your guitar.

I guess, but you think all those tumblr girls sticking capos on their guitars are doing it for the timbre of the open strings?

I say, if you're learning how to play, capos should be off limits. You should learn how to play chords in multiple positions all across the fretboard. Then, when you learn what timbre is, grab a capo.

when I first started learning guitar I couldn't play barre chords to save my life so I got a capo. Now I can play them but I still use the capo sometimes. It's not the worst thing for a guitar player to have

I agree, learning with a capo on guitar is like only being able to play keyboard in C major/A minor and then transposing up in a DAW.

With drop D you make some pretty cool voicings, specially in the key of D

There's no such thing as a bad tuning, just bad usage of a tuning

Listen to the song Windowpane by Opeth and explain to me why you would limit the possibility and creativity of the guitar because you saw a couple of dumbasses using it incorrectly.

Not the worst but it will slow development. Barre chords are hard as fuck when your starting off, and the best way to get better at them is to practice barring constantly. And barring is used more frequently then most think.

t. guitar player of nearly 10 years studying jazz in college

>studying jazz in college
Lmao

>Listen to Opeth
No thanks

I use drop d sort of like Bob Dylan does in some of his songs, where he'll play full chords but use the drop d to add a nice low bass note to it (Mr Tambourine Man, A Hard Rain's a Gonna Fall, etc use it). He also does it where he'll tune it as low as c and leaving the other strings in standard and play chords in that key to get an even lower sound.
People who exclusively rely on drop tunings are boring but it's a neat way to add some depth to your guitar playing if you're playing solo acoustic.

sick b8. m8

>playing instruments

People who do this should get shot

What if you want to use open strings in another tonality you dipshit?

have you heard the ancient chinese proverb "git gud faggot"??

Primarily for piano:
only play in keys with max 2 flats/sharps
nothing but block chords in the left hand
never uses 4th finger
constant sustain pedal

General Musician:
only plays in 4/4
"self-taught"
plays only 1 genre

>"oh I don't know what chord that is dude I just like the sound of the notes :)"

you called? whattaya need dude?

youtu.be/iYpydJm3L4A

What a poser

>is it inconceivable that someone with minimal experience would want to play songs for fun?
Do you want to remain someone with minimal experience as a guitar player all your life?

cant read notes.

LMAO

Yup

how would you go about becoming this good

how can someone use a capo incorrectly? what is the "correct" way?

King gizzard did this for their new album lol

Practice
Like a lot

People who use presets on amps and synths.

>things only posers and/or bad musicians do.

Create this thread

>he started playing when he was 5 years old
How? I guess you just don't.

srv couldn't read music either

holy shit, my bandmate is CONSTANTLY using a capo but the stupid thing he'll say like "Oh I'm playing an A minor chord" or "Oh I'm in the key of C major", but he's actually talking relative to the capo, so if his capo is on the second fret he'll say F chord (because that's how his fingers are) but its actually a G chord

makes me want to fucking pull my hair out its so confusing

Neil doesn't use standard drop D that much, usually the double drop D, i think he refers to it as "D-Modal".

I'm sure a majority of your favorite musicians only know the pure basics or less of musical theory

poser/bad musician detected

bold move OP, outing yourself as a shit poser guitarfag right from the start

but he knew theory so it's the next best thing

>knew theory
>couldnt read music

are you fucking stupid

I don't play the guitar

Every Tool song.

You know it's two different things right?
Sheet music is useless for blues

blues is useless for music

>write lyrics

found the poser lel