How much longer before Warner Bros. drops them?

How much longer before Warner Bros. drops them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h-Fzz4Ouros
hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bout bigboys

Not soon enough.

I don't get it, Oczy isn't even that bad
I'd rank it somewhere in the middle of their discog

I mean yeah it's so obvious rushed, phoned in, etc. But it's still pretty damn good despite that, even their half-polished turds are worthwhile.

The Lips are WB's wildcard.

They require almost no funding and label-driven promotion and are never expected to hit, so when they do something successful WB rakes in a large amount of cash.

To follow up on this, Oczy Mlody is the band's first actual commercial failure since Clouds Taste Metallic.

They've got at least one more shot before things start looking unsalvageable.

>commercial failure
It's been out exactly one week

im not ever going to buy another record of theirs after the whole Kliph thing

It's not going to magically sell better after one week. Even The Terror charted for a few weeks, and that album was deliberately inaccessible. OM was marketed as a return to the sound of their most popular album ever and it has made very little impression. Sure, it'll keep selling (Lips albums always have strong long-term sales, another reason WB keeps them around), but it has bombed.

Kliph getting fired was inevitable, he's a dude with anger issues and a poorly-managed bipolar disorder and Wayne has always been a narcissistic control freak. Their relationship had been toxic for years, and Kliph later admitted that he shared a lot of the blame for what happened.

warner bros probably payroll their US concerts and take a nice cut in return

Yeah and look how much the industry has changed since Terror

Damn he looks terrible. Don't do drugs kids

First week sales are most important

I disagree. Free previewing is more easily accessible than in the entire history of recorded music and many times more prevalent than when Terror came out.

Wayne is so lucky he gets away with this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=h-Fzz4Ouros

I disagree with your disagreement, and WB probably does too

>and many times more prevalent

Oh yeah? How many times exactly? It was barely 4 years ago and everything was the same as now. Stop making up excuses, Wayne.

why is this grown man constantly dressed like he's in Cats?

He's only a grown man physically. The drugs never allowed his mind to mature. Sad!

The thing is, Wayne didn't start doing drugs until around 2010-2011

He used to be so emotionally mature :(

Wow really? That's pretty late in the game. No wonder he still acts like a "dude weed" high schooler who started smoking pot last month.

Yeah, he used to not really care much about pot outside of the occasional toke and notoriously disliked acid, which he claimed gave him terrible experiences when he was young (there is a whole essay about this in the Finally the Punk Rockers are Taking Acid liner notes). Wayne was pretty sober through the majority of his career, because the nature of his band and music required severe determination, focus and hard work to make it to the level they did while still retaining creative control and artistic credibility. Wayne was still selling blood to finance the Lips up through The Soft Bulletin. This whole midlife crisis seems, in my opinion, to originate from Wayne never having the extra time or energy to actually enjoy being a rich and famous rock star when he was actually young.

Huh, that's kind of interesting. Guess I can't blame him too much, but his behavior is certainly funny to watch.

Ok you're right in that vinyl sales are not only a good judge but are even up many times since Terror. However from what I can tell, the official tally isn't in yet for what is still techncially not even a week yet. There are good numbers for January 6th albums but not the 13th

Oczy is a shit album, alright?

Close, but not quite.

Why is The Soft Bulletin their best albums?

Why is it a failure?
How many copies have they sold so far?

It's their most personal, and one of the only ones where Wayne's lyrics aren't about Giraffes and Jelly for 45 minutes

I still like Yoshimi more imo but they're very similar

never going to happen. the lips are an institution and i'm sure they know dropping them would be a mistake. either someone else would scoop them up really quickly, or wayne would realize they don't really need a label at this point.

Record labels tend to be pretty secretive with actual hard numbers, but
-It has not charted at all on Billboard, which The Terror, 7 Skies H3 AND the Sgt Pepper cover album have all managed to accomplish
-Its sales index is lower than albums that have been out for months:
hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart
-Even its amazon.com sales rankings are unusually low

Any flowcharts for The Flaming Lips? Where do I start?

he's like 55 or so
he actually look great for that age

Hol' up.

The lips best album was clouds taste metallic. Lyrical themes don't matter that much in a lips album. Like is Buggin written smartly? Singling out this here giraffe completely ignores songs like when you smile. Soft bulletin is great but it's still the same type of lyrics they've always had.

Soft Bulletin is the best place to start.

Embryonic, Clouds, Soft Bulletin

Soft Bulletin

When you're ready, listen to Zaireeka, their best album.