How the fuck did this movie tank? For once I actually think that the audience was too dumb

How the fuck did this movie tank? For once I actually think that the audience was too dumb
also it has litterally a 10/10 British cast:
>Gary Oldman as George Smiley/"Beggarman"
>Colin Firth as Bill Haydon/"Tailor"
>Tom Hardy as Ricki Tarr
>Mark Strong as Jim Prideaux
>Ciarán Hinds as Roy Bland/"Soldier"
>Benedict Cumberbatch as Peter Guillam
>Toby Jones as Sir Percy Alleline/"Tinker"
>John Hurt as Control

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QZL8m7E3lQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=GqNHvuzai5U
youtube.com/watch?v=3SSIp2J3YHM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

10/10 movie, absolutely loved it. I summon the user that owns the sweet collectors edition to post the pic.

It tanked because it's boring as FUCK

for plebs with an IQ of capeshit

It didn't tank, they're actually developing a sequel. Not every movie costs a fortune and needs a gazillion dollars to be successful.

I thought it was great, but I read the book so maybe that made it easier to understand.

I have no idea why Ciarán Hinds isn't in more movies, he is charismatic as fuck (for instance in Miami Vice too)

this

The worst part is that Oldman was eager to do some more George Smiley adaptations with the same director.

It ain't gonna happen.

>yfw they do a remake with an all-female cast

Loved this trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=QZL8m7E3lQ0

I saw it, was bored, couldn't even follow the plot. I hate myself

The movie wasn't that complicated to have someone read the book before hand.

The show was better.

Smiley was a cuck

How the fuck was this Oldmans only oscar nomination?

>tfw the mole who shagged your wife got shot in the face and you are control now

>that fucking cast

damn shame really
could have been one of our times best film series

Suck a dick, pleb

I love the really recent outpouring of love for this fantastic movie on here over the past week.

I show this to all my friends, who are very basic with their tastes, and they all end up loving it and wanting to borrow afterwards.
Its the perfect movie to pop in on a cold rainy day and smoke a cigarette to.

Any anons have a cinegrid of it?

I watched it in cinema, it was packed with old people. Me and my friend were the only two people under 40 in there. They must have read Smiley's People.

Same with TD S2.

Plebs didnt get it.

>b-but why is Mark Strong alive now?

Really subtle and slow movie, which is why it wasn't a huge hit in theaters.
Every time I show it to people in a calm environment, they live it.
By the way, the book is even better.

Only below-excellent performance is that of cucumberpatch who overdoes it at one point.

the night manager was so shit
please can we just have more of these slow, comfy, old school spy thrillers and not james fucking bond

That fucking runway scene where smiley interrogates estherhase is FUCKING AMAZING cinematography.

The out of focus plane looming combined with the awkward depth of field and the zoom makes the shot extremely psychological, tight and a fucking clever way of conveying power relations between the two.

I wish I had a webm of the whole scene.

Saw it, was good. But the endings was underwhelming. Why the fuck did he go to Karla, also were they gay lovers or some shit, is that why he got him out.

>Why the fuck did he go to Karla
Haydon claims that, although he was recruited by Soviet intelligence at university in the 1930s, he only became a serious agent for them following the Suez crisis when it became clear to him that Britain was no longer a world power and, in his view, was subservient to America. This perceived inferiority led to Haydon developing a deep hatred for America and resolved him to damage them as much as possible by spying for the Russians.

>also were they gay lovers or some shit
Yes it is implied that they were lovers.

Agents are frequently used as political leverage.

ex, Japan captures a Chinese spy passing of as a teacher at the exact moment where both nations are negotiating over border issue in those asland they always get pissy about.

Officially Japan will drop the issue if CHINA promises to invest XXBillion in JAP robotics over X years plus disaster relief for the recent catastrophe AND they stop a random province judge from trying to reopen an old rape case of a jap soldier during the war 60 years ago.

Normally China would have the advantage because reasons and tell them to go fuck themselves but japan captured a native hong konger agent. JAP implies it would be a shame if said HK teacher were to 'die' while trying to infiltrate GRORIOUS JAP miritary. Since japan is secretely funding the hong kong protesters over the handing over of the island, they know they can cause stability issues for CHINA.

This sounds a little bit like a cheap spy novel but during the cold war those kind of games were actually happening. I think Le carre implies he is going to be exchanged for a british spy or some other 'favour'.

>spot the american

a nation of retards, no wonder tailor went to karla FFS, I'll be doing the same thing.

first time i saw it i thought it was too slow and i was expecting a different type of film so i actually fell asleep halfway through. since then ive seen it 4 times because it is so good

I loved this film

Watched it again the next day the first time I saw it

youtube.com/watch?v=GqNHvuzai5U

Really surprised me how good Colin Firth was in this movie, although the plot is still confusing as all hell... which isn't exactly a bad thing in a movie where the setting is trying to instill an intrinsic feeling of paranoia.

>although the plot is still confusing as all hell
there is a mole in the british secret service, a retired agent has to find out which of the five bosses in the agency is the mole.

not that confusing

i thought it did pretty well?
wasn't the budget only around 7 million?

The fact that it wasnt a smash hit is the reason we're not getting the honourable schoolboy or smileys people???

It was boring, broody, and just plain old fucking dull. One would think with such a cast it should have stood out but it didn't because it was boring, broody, and just plain old fucking dull.

i literally did not get what was happening but i wasn't bored

It tanked because the majority of the movie-going public doesn't like slow burn films.

I wanted to like it but did have trouble following the plot. On the other hand I loved and had no trouble understanding A Most Wanted Man.

I pretty much can't get enough of the John Le Carre stuff and watch anything adapted from his work where I can but I've yet to see smileys people, looking glass war and little drummer girl.
I like the confusion, cerebral aspect and spy speak, give it the perfect espionage mood piece and the film was well acted. I did however watch it twice.
random fact Haydon is actually based on a real person from Le Carre's spy career.

I have about as much respect for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as I do for the dogshit on my shoe. It is reddit. It is video game hotpocket. It is capeshit. It is cheeto dust. I'm literally screaming right now and slamming my arms down on my desk just thinking about it.

It is the most depraved video game infantilized manchild degeneracy. It is saturday morning cartoon. It is non-neurotypicality. It is memes. It is video game. It is tarantino. It is imdb.

wew lad

>John Le Carre
Wow I've never even heard of him but I love TTSS and The Constant Gardener, had no idea they were adaptations from the same author.

>Never heard of LeCarre

Weird desu.

what's the point in posting drivel like this? It doesn't work as bait nor is it funny.

It not the fastest movie and uses a lot of spy jargon without explaining what the terms meant.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is Reddit

Taylor of Panama is great. It also a deeply funny movie at times.

Why did the Russians need a mole for Witchcraft? Either the British bought into the value of the documents they were getting or not. What effect could a mole have?

Stupid fucking name

They wanted to feed the British enough info that hte US would start sharing data again. So then they could steal american info.

Back in the 1960s the UK had huge mole problems since some key members of their Intel service were communists.

fuck I was hyped when I first watched this

didn't like it though, but I was probably too young/adhd

will watch again soon

polyakov received low tier information from witchcraft to seem legit while passing higher grade information to the brits, but really he was also receiving very high level stuff from haydon to give to karla at the same time.

Le carre's schemes and deceptions etc.. are the only fictional spy related plans that satisfy me on a strategic level.

I'm really interested in seeing it. Honestly, the trailer just seemed really cool. I don't even know what it's about.

Worth a go? I kind of want to see it.

>asking Sup Forums for permission

it's good, just watch it faggot

It a good movie. A slow burn.

plebs
>have seen movie 5 times now
>just watched it again last week
>want to watch it fucking again right now

it's none of that
it's inticing, explosive, intense, dramatic, and brooding. brooding is a positive term, not a negative one. it builds suspense through characters relationships. like all good movie it's about relationship, which brings the mystery and drama out through the same interactions

it's seriously perfect

I know that feeling

this is nothing without sound

delete this

I don't remember this scene from kingsmen

Probably because of the retarded name desu

youtube.com/watch?v=3SSIp2J3YHM

Since we can't have nice things on Sup Forums like webms with sound

It tanked because it was boring, confusing, and the acting was unconvincing.

And cue the roody poos saying lel youre a pleb. I was a huge fan of the original series with Alec Guinness and this movie was a postmodern bastardization of everything that made the original story good.

>it's seriously perfect

your standards are pathetically low. Go watch the original.

i got a pretty good laugh when my friend asked for a good spy movie and i recommended this film to him. he was pretty much bored out of his mind. he was expecting some kind of bourne shit lol.

nevertheless, fucking Sup Forums is so pleb it can't even appreciate a good spy film like this. you've been spoiled by bourne or bond or whatever adhd movie you're watching. fucking plebs

too bad bourne and bond type spy films are both more popular than engaging stories like this one

Le Carre adaptation list time:
-Tinker tailor soldier spy tv series
-Smileys people tv series
-Tinker tailor movie
-Constant gardener
-Looking glass war
-Deadly affair
-night manager
-our kind of traitor
-little drummer girl
-murder of quality
-Looking glass war

Oh and Russia house and tailor of panama.

While not strictly spy films in the Le Carre vein, you all need to watch paranoia/surveillance stuff like the conversation, ucho, good shepard, lives of others.

Interestingly enough, John Le Carre isn't even his real name (Its Dave Cornwall). Also he cameos in the night manager, I think in the restaurant scene.

this movie cured my insomnia

u forgot a most wanted man

Hoffman left is far too soon.
My only real issue with wanted man is that I don't find the German accents convincing . That said I am European.

They will do Smileys People maybe even THSB but not for another 5 years
Source: Gary Oldman

yea Aus here worked perfectly for me I could imagine a German would be cringing all the way through tho

For those that found tinker tailor boring, seriously it holds up to multiple viewings. I really did appreciate it more that way.

yea its great 2nd time, e.g. that porklot joke at the beginning only works if u speak English its a massive giveaway, I did not get that first time

The opening scene where the british spy gets shot in Budapest in that café is utterly amazing. I could watch that scene again and again.

>popular
yes
>engaging
no

>the acting was unconvincing
>he posts while I'm watching the video in the post directly above his
top fucking kek

Hi Gary, big fan

I saw it in the theater and didnt know what was happening. All I remember about the movie was that old lady saying she was "underfucked" and them talking in that secret room all the time. I also remember that Commsioner Gordon's character was named SMiley but he never smiled.

You sound like a fucking moron.

We'll thenwhatwould you recommend you conglomerated , mullato sack of dick shavings