/grimes/

Discuss the authentic artist that continued the tradition of art pop legends such as Kate Bush, Bjork and Fever Ray: Claire Elise Boucher aka Grimes.

David Byrne:
>I started collecting pictures of Grimes, Madonna, Kate Bush, Sinèad O’Connor, on and on—popular musicians are obsessed with her. This trend inspired the premise for the show: a pop star decides to give in to the Joan obsession and tell her epic story in concert.
brooklynvegan.com/david-byrne-details-his-upcoming-joan-of-arc-musical-tickets-on-sale/

Grimes about her next album:
>As she closes the door on this album, Boucher has a calmer project in mind for the next: “I’m really vibing on making something really slow and gorgeous that just breathes, and has room to breathe. I feel like my work has always been fast paced, kinetic, and almost just manic and I feel like for me the hardest thing I can do is make something that’s slow and heavy. I’m so ADD in my work; I really want to push myself into something that would be slower and more reflective.”
vmagazine.com/article/v104-grimes-interview/

youtube.com/watch?v=Ze1ux7GiW_s

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.popjustice.com/threads/grimes-art-angels-general-discussion.34279/page-115
m.youtube.com/watch?v=JX0zS6BZiQg
youtube.com/watch?v=QZLwcf2po3c
youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk
youtube.com/watch?v=OXor30_XZMY
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
youtube.com/watch?v=uWFTyamEZrU
youtube.com/watch?v=1lSxzjm7RB4
twitter.com/bbylsd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love the fact that she constantly seems to have to draw everything in & keep putting it down somehow, that the inspiration is so intense to her that she constantly feels the urge to commodify.
I love the fact that she seems so interested in everything, that anything has some peculiar side to it.
I love the fact that she doesn't give a fuck, that she doesn't let other peoples opinions get in the way of her personal preferences, that she stays true to herself no matter what to such an extent that she puts everybody else to shame with her lack of guilty pleasures.
I love the fact that she is often "boyish" in her interests, that she loves games, fighting sports, that she loves taking the piss.
I love the fact that she can't sit still, that she always has to keep moving somehow - i'm calm, so movement gives me comfort.
I love the fact that she seems obsessed with death and a sort of underworld art. I love the fact that she's fascinated by old cultures just as much as i am, that she keeps on delving into history and symbolism to find some truth. That she loves sci-fi, comics & fantasy.
I love her for telling me that embarrassment is good, how she seems to have unlocked so many mysteries that it just makes me want to listen to her talk everyday day about everything and anything, to hear her opinion all the time...
I love the fact that she is so smart and strong in her opinions that it makes her stubborn to a point where she thinks she has the right to judge everyone with impunity.
I love the fact that she is best artist of this decade and the hottest female alive.

Apparently these folks really like Grimes: forum.popjustice.com/threads/grimes-art-angels-general-discussion.34279/page-115

e.g.

>I'm so glad this album exists. The only album in years to have shot straight to the top of my "Favourite EVER Albums" list. It's sensational. Like others have said, it was kinda my favourite album of 2016 AND 2015.

>It is still so good. A follow-up, or even just an EP of songs that didn't make the cut in time for next christmas would be lovely. Math Devils - you can have that title for free Boucher.

>I concur with the sentiments of Art Angels still being abso-fucking-lutely amazing.

>This album just continues to grow and grow. I think I love it more this year than I did last.

>I love Visions, but I too hope she doesn't delve too far back into that sound. Art Angels is just perfection, and seeing her live was a highlight of this summer.

>Still one of the best pop albums to be ever created. 2015 was a monumental year. It's crazy how E•Mo•Tion and Art Angels came out within the same year. Year of pop.

Understandable. Everybody loves Grimes.

Except half of Sup Forums. And I'm not even sure they're for real.

This is some scary hivemind shit.

>This
What? And why it's scary?

I've decided to give her a go after over a year of just hearing about her and I gotta say, I'm sooo hooked on her stuff from ''Visions'' and generally her 2012 live performances. She almost sounds like she's performing a ritual of some kind when she has all these vocal parts swirling around and I absolutely love it. However, I can't get into her new stuff at all. I see that her production's improved as well as her songwriting, yet it just feels like the music's missing something important Visions had, and I can't quite put my finger on what that is.

think so too

Her music became more accessible. But I like both her old style and her new style. BTW, did you listen to her pre-Visions releases (Darkbloom, Halfaxa, Geidi Primes)?

This user too. What is missing is the atmosphere, that medieval/gothic vibe and those layered choir like sounds (but not totally). But that wouldn't suit Art Angels at all. AA is just more direct and aggressive. Maybe she will be bring back some of those missing elements on her next album.

bad thing about her music is that you can't sing along to her songs without trying to imagine that you are a little girl

Most of her themes are mature (death, love, betrayal, music industry, etc), WTF are you deaf?

it's not about the themes, it's about her voice

Just because it's high pitched?

bump

Ironically I actually find her stuff easier to sing/hum along to than most other contemporary music because of how high her voice is, even though I have a significantly lower than average voice. Her voice tends to be SO high that, if dropped down by several octaves, it's in a perfectly singable range for me.

Do you have any idea about her vocal range? I meant the lowest note - the highest note.

Because Grimes fags are literally all the same.

*deletes talking heads discography*

*deletes grimes*

Are u insane?

Technically she's a coloratura soprano (one of the rarest vocal types out there - especially among singers of popular music.) It's the highest vocal range there is. She does a LOT of vocal gymnastics that take her into other ranges and vocal timbres, though (in purely technical terms her vocals range all the way from the D below middle C up to the B above high C.) Speaking as a classically trained singer, I actually quite enjoy listening to her vocals because of how much inventive rule-breaking she does (IMO it's akin to enjoying Bob Fosse's dancing even if you know something about classical dance.)

>from the d

>Because Grimes fans are the most loyal fanbase ever existed
ftfy

Feel the same way. It probably has to do with the fact that she produced 'Visions' while locked up without food or sleep in her blacked out apartment. Now the production is slick and professionaly made which doesn't give her enough creative space.

because visions was made in a spirit of pure desperation.

>listened to Visions and Art Angels at least once every day this week
I just can't stop, send help.

No one could help you, you should have known these albums are really addictive... Now you understand why people adore her? ;)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=JX0zS6BZiQg

Me and this knife can do alot of damage

Typical /grimes/ poster

i bet there was no coffee spill

i bet there is no 2TB of unfinished music

i bet she's a lot less prolific than she says she is

i bet the album was scrapped because she had no idea where to take it

i bet realiti wasn't made in 20 minutes like she claims it was

i bet that it took her so long to finish art angels because she didn't know which side of her fanbase she wanted to appeal to

i bet she took it in the bright top 40 pop direction because she remembered her aspirations when she was a budding underground artist to be a pop star

there was a lot riding on that album and she could have fucked it up following the dreams of a naive recovering druggie fuck up

a good thing it turned out to be the right direction

You bet on thin air. You couldn't prove anything from that list, so...

youtube.com/watch?v=QZLwcf2po3c

watch it all the way through

is grimes on the spectrum?

grimes is secretly an asshole, so....

Grimes is actually nice, so.......

see

Plz don't hurt grimes feind

bump

lol i found a forum james was still posting on when these generals started back in may.

also through that same website i found this gem

>To the guy with the ponytail who was staring deep into Grimes' iTunes while attempting to keep his infatuated small talk going and fumbling with a beer can—if you're reading this, I have three pieces of advice: First, ditch the scrunchie. That hasn't been okay since Sex and The City Season Three. Second, look out for cameras next time. You never know what will end up on the 'net. Third, don't try to hit on a DJ while they're DJing. No, not even a female DJ. They don't like that shit any more than anyone else. How the hell did that guy get into Richie's villa in the first place?

they didn't even know that was her boyfriend lmao

why is everybody so autistic about grimes?

Wtf is this ?

>now
I've been doing this for a year straight.

A whole year? You're under her spell. I'd say just enjoy the whole thing.

#hoverboardgirlhole

>typical Sup Forums poster

youtube.com/watch?v=2-aWEYezEMk

1:13 - 1:22

has this been sampled yet? i'd kill to hear this in a good electronic music track

Pretty sure there are some remixes of it floating about. Haven't heard about any outright sampling of Vanessa by others (yet.)

stop

play

youtube.com/watch?v=OXor30_XZMY

Underrated

what the fuck is a grimes

Nothing less than the artist of the decade.

>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Music style: synthpop mixed with dreampop, IDM, R&B, J-Pop, medieval, classical

>Instruments:
- vocals
- synthesizer
- sampler
- guitar
- bass
- drums
- violin
- ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director & editor
- dancer
- model

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

oh so its waifu-shitting over a pop artist. no thanks

Wrong. It's just admiration over an exciting artist. Now you're free to gtfo. You weren't invited anyway.

Because you're all saying exactly the same thing, pseudointellectually layering extra meaning onto what are pretty simple compositions to pretend that it has greater meaning.

It's creepy because you're supporting each other in that effort and repeating the same manufactured garbage. I'm sure you like her. I'm sure she's decent. But this is how you discuss music when you're pretending it means something, rather than because it actually means something.

"I started collecting pictures".

Why am I not suprised it's from Brooklyn Vegan.

Because you have no thoughts for yourselves

"ftfy"

We're supporting each other because that's the way a fanbase is supposed to do.

>same manufactured garbage
That proves you have no idea who she is and what her music sounds like. If you're not dumb enough you could take a look here Her music is manufactured in the sense that it's hand made (everything is done by her). As for the garbage part, that's just your garbage taste in action. So, keep your garbage opinions to yourself, she's not bad because you say that.

>Why am I not suprised it's from Brooklyn Vegan.
So what if it's from Brooklyn Vegan? Does it matter as long the news piece is true? Or are you a stupid hipster of the highest grade?

>It's creepy because you're supporting each other in that effort and repeating the same
>Not understanding that music is a form of entertainment
>Not understanding that these threads are an exercise in fan-oriented entertainment
>Not having a sense of humor
Grow up, user. And stop taking everything so seriously. It's embarrassing.

This

Grimes is amazing even tho I'm 9 I still love her and u may think 9 year lads find this weird but I find it amazing

fb com /churchofgrimes/ for grimes!

look at her cuticles they are chewed to shit god damn

youtube.com/watch?v=uWFTyamEZrU

youtube.com/watch?v=1lSxzjm7RB4

>she loves taking the piss
what did he mean by this

thank you

twitter.com/bbylsd

^_^

Grimes? Whatever happened to Kreayshawn?

doo doo doo doo doo...

AH

don't startle me like that user...

gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci gucci

autism

no u

Grimes is pretty cool, i told all of my (2) friends about her desu.

Wow what a comeback. Stop your blatant autism

No one gives a shit bitch

haha nevar

all these posts were made by me

:( fine

Listening to Art Angels on vinyl right now. She's one of the few artists I like who actually followed up her last big album with something equally impressive.

She is almost proficient enough to tattoo SLUT on her right hand now.

i bet she doesn't even play video games.

suck a pen15

hard to find one grimes hasn't sucked first.

kys

is this the face of a SLUT, user?

same

sex isn't bad

I'm sure she's sucked 50 and it doesn't make her less of a person

this desu

I have the same eye color as grimes fuck this

i hope our grimey is sleeping well

i appreciate this copy pasta

it's a comfy pasta

ty, i'm not pasting it though

How do you think I feel I have the same ugly hands as her.