J.K...

>J.K. Rowlinghas a message for any Internet “idiots” who took issue with the castingof black actress Noma Dumezweni as grown-up Hermione Grangerin the forthcomingHarry Potterplay:“Hermione can be a black woman with my absolute blessing and enthusiasm.”That’s what shetoldThe Observer, in a new interview published Sunday, about the backlash Dumezweni’s casting inspired from some corners of the Internet.“With my experience of social media, I thought that idiots were going to idiot,” Rowling,no stranger to interacting with people online, told theObserver.“But what can you say? That’s the way the world is,” she said. “Noma was chosen because she was the best actress for the job.”

>Rowling, 50, also expanded on her earlier support of Dumezweni’s casting, which shetweeted in Decembersoon after the news broke.“I had a bunch of racists telling me that because Hermione ‘turned white’ – that is, lost color from her face after a shock – that she must be a white woman, which I have a great deal of difficulty with,” Rowling said. “But I decided not to get too agitated about it and simply state quite firmly that Hermione can be a black woman with my absolute blessing and enthusiasm.”Dumezweni has received support from other stars, too:Emma Watson, who played Hermione in theHarry Potterfilms,tweeted her excitementabout the news in January.

You guys dun fucked up you didn't even showcase the covers and illustrations and the fucking movies that all show Hermione as a pale white girl with freckles.

Seems kinda dumb, but the writers should be free to do what they want

I think it's high time for a black voldemort and death eaters, I'm sick of the slytherins always being represented by FUCKING WHITE MALES, Where is the fucking diversity?

yea writers should be able to write whatever they want, since that's their creative freedom. however, don't expect not be lambasted by fans for retconning shit just because you want to play favor points for this SJW fad.

I would rek those titties m8 if you catch my drift

I don't think you understand. She's trying to retcon the notion that Hermione is white. Because in 2016 having white characters is just so uncivilized.

>"PAY ATTENTION TO ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME PAY ATTENTION TO ME"
-JK Rowling

Her whole life is a JK, Harry Potter sucks.

GOOD TELEVISION & FILM THREAD

She has a nice pair 2bh familam

I seriously can't understand why anyone gives a shit in the slightest
If Rowling was dead and someone did this without her consent, maybe I could understand
But as it is, this seems like people getting upset for the sake of it. No one pays attention to harry potter anymore. It's like tumblr's favourite book. Rowling is an outspoken sjw

Who the fuck cares? What is it that people are taking offense at?

>50

Still would

Oh god I remember all of these. I wish I could read it all over again.

>constant capeshit and got isn't plaguing the board
>this is
Senpai

LMAO
The genderswapped, SJW version of Markus Persson.

>I thought that idiots were going to idiot
YA author's thoughts on racism and integrity

is she retconning anything?
She never said hermione was explicitly white
portraying her with a black actress isn't explicitly saying she's black

If they release a film of this in 5 years with all the old cast returning but emma watson replaced with a black actress, then people can complain

Give up. Reddit has turned this board into a worksafe Sup Forums. There is nothing more to be done.

There were blacks in Slytherin though. But I see your point.

See
Its about a major film and book character and its not ablut her portrayal by a black person. Its JK rowling insistance she was never white to begin with.

She's got at least another good ten years in er, I reckon.

It's a pushup.
You're more retarded than the idiots defending this shit.

>Its JK rowling insistance she was never white to begin with.
But, unless I'm mistaken, she's not saying the opposite
She's not now saying that Hermione was always black. This is just her way of saying that her character doesn't have/never had an assigned race.
Why is this a problem?

4u

No she actually has said she's not white because she's ignored everything about her being white in the books and films. The actress isn't the problem its JK saying that the character was never specified as white whixh is bs on all counts.

>This is just her way of saying that her character doesn't have/never had an assigned race

She just wants attention for being progressive. She said Dumbledore was gay before and now she's saying Hermione was black. It's pretty transparent that she's just making shit up as she goes along but who cares

>can't shitpost on /lit/
>better shitpost on Sup Forums

>implying hermiones dentist parents in 80s london would be niggers
This isn't present day. Shes retconning it hermione is white as bread. Not once did she give a shit about the cover art being a white hermione

TIL when black people get scares their faces turn pale white.

/thread

>STOP THROWING BACK IN MY FACE CONTRADICTORY THINGS I SAID
>you only do it cause you're racist
check mate logicians

what's the issue? characters are written all the time without assigned races among other things
part of the reason that good books are so universal is that the reader can project their attributes onto the protagonist

YA books give very little description of the main character's looks other than "smaller than the larger kids but able to hold their own" or some variation
Harry isn't explicitly white either

He probably would be, but if a young British-Indian kid read it and imagined Harry as Indian ethnic like himself, he's not 'wrong'

I don't get why this upsets anyone

If it was the other way around and whitewashed obama and the first chimp would be talking about it

but why does anyone care?
cover art isn't canon unless the author drew it themselves
hermione isn't now canonically black

you can still read it and imagine her white

> novel casting choices
> in theatre

Lol, anyone who is actually cares about this (in a play about a fucking book series targeted at children) should probably kill themselves.

Despite growing up with them and still generally having a good opinion of the HP series now I've never seen what JK Rowling looked like

Damn, she's hot. I feel odd

She is described you fuck she has dentist parents from the 80s. She has naturally golden hair and freckles. 90+% of black people don't have freckles

because of this, she'll always be black faced to me. not black. black faced.

bullshit

if the author of a FICTIONAL book with an ASSUMED black character based on settings and previous adaptations said that the character could be white, it wouldn't be a big deal

the difference is obama is a real person
when abe lincoln is being portrayed as black you'd have a case

I think the author approved the illustrations to her book and there's a possibility jk drew her at one point not sure

Either way.
Black people don't have golden hair and freckles unless they have dyed their shit and are actually mixed and not black

Is Rowlings just having one giant reverse cuck fantasy?

It would be a big deal. Difference is niggers don't write anything famous. Which is why they have to monkey on the backs kf previous film characters bc the have little originak stories to adapt with blacks

>90+% of black people don't have freckles

define 'black'

Because Sup Forums, and antisocial virgins who are mad at the world for their own shortcomings and cyclic, toxic lifestyles

Except the author has drawn the characters

Plays are not Sup Forums related you ape

>niggers don't write anything famous.
are you retarded or just illiterate?

Black as in black not mixed. Obama is not black he's biracial

Black could be anywhere. But niggas don't have freckles

>You guys dun fucked up you didn't even showcase the covers and illustrations and the fucking movies that all show Hermione as a pale white girl with freckles.
Don't you mean
>Apologize
you autistic shitposter. At least get it right.

>are actually mixed and not black
Maybe hermione's mixed?

you know this is rowling's doing right? like, some random person didn't just recast hermione as black for shits

also, beasts of no nation is apparently a fantastic book and a great film but whatever

shhh user
these are paid shills promoting her new book and the new movie

Are you suggesting most popular works in film haven't beem predominately white

>"Noma was chosen because she was the best actress for the job.”

But we all know that's not the case. That's what's so obnoxious about forcing social agendas down peoples' throats. They insult everyone's intelligence. Everyone knows that she was picked because casting her would garner publicity and controversy which in turn drives up revenue. That, and the people involved get to virtue signal to the world, fuelling their conceitedness in the process.

The characters are all made up and most of them were not explicitly stated to be white or what have you. It's like other BBC-tier keking with making King Arthur a black tranny muslim and shit

I think there's a point where an artist has to distance their own work and say it's too big to be their exclusive creation. take star wars and lucas, for example. Rowling has passed that point a long time ago but still wants to cash checks, be they monetary or social of value. should spielberg be allowed to take the guns out of E. T.? I don't know.

>Maybe hermione's mixed?
Mixed what?

Also
>parents are dentists
>is a witch
>somehow has teeth like this
This is the most illogical part.

so, i mean, I don't want to be that guy but...
noma has freckles

How do you know she wasn't the best or at least decent though? Stage acting is dead and most people don't give a shit unless you have a film star in your production

I'm presetly engaged in an argument with a newpaper editor on this very subject. And i actually worked on the Harry Potter films (in VFX & design).

The only reference I can find to a description of Hermoine is this one...

She's not mixed she's white like a white person. Whu are you triggered by white people that are descendants from white nations.

And I mean most books that have been adapted. Save recently are predominately white

Hermione was also never stated to be human. Maybe she's an alien?

Fuck her

>genre fiction writer calling anyone else an idiot
He's right, but that doesn't mean he's not a schlock lowbrow genre fiction writer

I'm sorry but black or not, she is really, really ugly.

It's actually in the book that she had bad teeth, but her parents told her to not use magic to correct her teeth. And then at some point she just decides to use magic to shrink her teeth.

>parents are ENGLISH dentists

FTFY, it's a totally different level of dental care

Typo, it's Hermione's whiteface. See pic related

If you're willing to take the illustrations as canon and give them the same weight as the movie portrayals then you should be pissed about how Harry Potter is a fucking model by the end of the movies. He was always a skinny faggot in the books but nobody complains about how Daniel radcliffe was masturbatory material by the final two movies. The fact remains that in the books, Hermione's race is never specified. If the race of a fictional character whose race never had any influence on her character or her actions in any portrayal of said character really gets you this butthurt then you should probably stop consuming media in general.

>Europeans

Why do you care about the race of a children's book character you complete manchild

How would it affect your viewing of the play

I bet you're not even going to watch it regardless of the race

>The only reference I can find to a description of Hermoine is this one...

Theres a drawing rowling herself made

White with freckles

That means like my bad writing lol.

>Whu are you triggered by white people that are descendants from white nations
I'm not triggered, literally the opposite
I don't understand why anyone cares about a black actress portraying hermione

why are you so concerned that she's white? you know she's not real, right?

milf chebs are in her genes m8

>money-grabbing bitch profiting from this SJW propaganda as usual
she just can't admit she wrote Hermione as white, can't she?

Her teeth are described as big.

Not goofy, crooked and rotten.

They should also be fixed as you say.

Sup Forums and reddit want to make a big stink about something even if it exposes them as manchildren

these autistic faggots probably get up in arms about my little pony or game of thrones too

just absolute neckbeard children's fare, embarrassing

>idiots are going to idiot

lmao holy shit she used a variation of nigs going to nig

>Why do you care about the race of a children's book character you complete manchild
Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

He said on /tv, on a topic he doesn't care about at all. Flying in to shit on everyone to say, "Hey guys! I don't care!" Cheerio cuck

that's probably a better argument than all this "I'm not racist but..." shit
is hermione actually described as good looking by the end?
cause if she is i have a beef with watson's casting

the thing that always annoyed me about emma watson's casting originally was that her teeth were too small - hermione was supposed to be buck-toothed and nerdy until she used that potion
but this was like almost 15 years ago now

>JK tell to the artwork draw Hermione as a white girl
>Present day
>A bunch of jews appears
>Hey JK we will give you millions if we recast hermione as a nigga 'n shiet.
>Give muh millions, plis.
End of the story

That's exactly what's happening

>tfw I don't really care about her race
>tfw I care more that they picked the most fuck ugly black woman
Hermione was never described as ugly.

This fucker is ugly.

/play/ when, Hiroyuki-san?

>You can read the books and imagine the character is white.
>Black people can't read the books and imagine the character is black.

Why are white people told that race doesn't matter when it comes to blackifying established white characters, but then black people are told that race matters and if a story is full of white people they aren't represented and can't possibly relate to the characters?

Liberal hypocrisy is the funniest brand. It feels like its all based on arguments from 14 year olds.

>cuck!

hey fagola, they literally WANT you to care. that's what gives the play attention and more dough. you fell for it.

Dumb animeposter

>irrelevant writer trying to get relevant again by using the latest trend

This bitch should just croak already.

>How do you know she wasn't the best

Because the character is white. I don't know the actress, and I'm not doubting her talent or credentials. The reason she was cast though was to create a fervour for the play with controversy and "important" discussions that can be talked about in the run-up to its release so it'll remain in the public consciousness for as long as possible. I don't give a fuck about Harry Potter or the colour of Hermione; just don't insult my intelligence about why this woman was cast.

she self inserted herself as hermoine, then decided later she wanted to be BLACKED

one time I saw a thread on Sup Forums about how Battlefield was trying to destroy the white man's history by having a black guy in the game

all Sup Forums IPs should be banned desu, they probably are the ones spamming capeshit

>you will never collect all of JK Rowling's tweets in three volumes
>JK Rowling and the Quest for Relevancy
>JK Rowling and the Pandering Retcons
>JK Rowling and the Ramblings of the Attention Seeker

If she was cast because she was the best for the job then what about the daughter? Was she cast for race or talent? Why wasn't she an asian actress? A white and a black can have an asian kid just as easily as they could have a daughter blacker than both parents.

Have you actually tried reading the book or just saving things from online? I doubt hermione isn't descibed at all in the first twk books

Plus jk did draw her
See
I'm not evem being racist. Her physical attributes her hair and such are not privy to black people naturally ratted hair

Could you please post the original?

yeah whatever you say fedora

Is this all that's gonna be of tv and film discussion? A bunch of assholes on both sides whining about race/gender etc? This is depressing.