Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, and a story

>Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, and a story
>Sup Forums loves it

>Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with BLM ideas
>Sup Forums loves it

>Beyonce makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, a story, and BLM ideas + Kendrick Lamar is featured
>Sup Forums hates it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM
youtube.com/watch?v=8Lo5kxo6fwA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>caring about what a child of Sup Forums and Sup Forums thinks

because beyonce makes shit music
kendrick makes decent music
kendrick's more eloquent and his albums tell a story of realities in a harsh neighborhood/environment, beyonce is just "yass girl work it twerk it slaaay ugh get em my boo cheated on me but i'll fight back because im strong giiiiiiiiiiiiiirl"

how can you think that Lemonade is shit if you consider kendrick lamar's music decent?

we

tpab and gkmc were fucking mediocre pop garbage and the last three kanye albums are all overrated. Frank Ocean on the other hand has a flawless discography though

not him but the issue with beyonce is that in the past she never really talked about these issues. it seems like an in genuine position for her to all of a sudden care about BLM ideas and the somewhat plausible story that has many co-writers with it
TBF i did enjoy some songs off lemonade

be careful, cvck mods will ban you for funposting

especially on this hellhole of a board

>kendrick is just "yass boy work it kill it boooo boooo ugh get em my girl cheated on me but i'll fight back because im real maaaaaan from a harsh neighborhood/environment"
>kendrick makes decent music

>beyonce is just "yass girl work it twerk it slaaay ugh get em my boo cheated on me but i'll fight back because im strong giiiiiiiiiiiiiirl"
>beyonce makes shit music

you weren't here for the tpab fallout

also neither album was "filled" with blm ideas

>>Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, and a story

GKBC had one radio hit, swimming pools.

>Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with BLM ideas

Not true, he even blamed black people for their victim complex and black on black violence.

>Beyonce makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, a story, and BLM ideas + Kendrick Lamar is featured

Beyonce is shit.

>GKBC had one radio hit, swimming pools.
just because those songs weren't big hits doesn't mean they're not radio friendly
you forget that beyonce made lemonade as one of the biggest pop stars in the world, while kendrick lamar was barely known when he made GKMC

>>Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, and a story
there's 1 radio friendly song

>>Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with BLM ideas
blatantly false

>while kendrick lamar was barely known when he made GKMC
not true btw

>there's 1 radio friendly song
the only song that is not radiofriendy is m.A.A.d city, and it's basically an equivalent of Lemonade's Sandcastles/Forward

he wasn't really famous before GKMC, and he was much much less famous than beyonce when she made lemonade, how can you deny that?

yeah, that's right

Not music
Go back to tumblr

>not him but the issue with beyonce is that in the past she never really talked about these issues
>it seems like an in genuine position for her to all of a sudden care about BLM ideas and the somewhat plausible story that has many co-writers with it
so what?
how does it make lemonade a shit album?

>has many co-writers with it
TPAB also has many songwriters
>inb4 samples
Lemonade also has this kind of thing

>discussing 3 albums
>not music
are you retarded?

Beyonce is plebshit

deal with it

But Beyonce's attempt was nowhere near as good though. Pointless James Blake filler appearance, Beyonce's inability to rap or really do anything vocally well that isn't her usual RnB thing, pop bangers not being as banging/upbeat as Kendrick's, the more complex attempts at beats not even close to what tracks like "u" brought to the table, etc. Lemonade just wasn't as well done. It's far more shallow despite appearing far more grandiose at first. The concept is far more conceited than TPAB's which, if you actually listen to the record and not the memes about it, actually criticizes not only Kendrick, but...the black community as well.

what an unnecessary sarcasm
there are lots of bangers and just pop tunes on GKMC, if you don't think it's a pop rap album just because it has a story and/or it had no big succes on the radio, then you're deluded and hypocritical

if beyonce is plebshit then how kendrick isn't?

success*

fpbp

yaaaaaaaaaaass queen slay

everything you wrote is subjective af except this
>criticizes not only Kendrick, but...the black community as well.

I was referring to TPAB

Why can't we all just agree that both Kendrick and Beyoncé make crap music?

>was referring to TPAB
>when "Kendrick Lamar makes an album filled with radio friendly songs, and a story" is clearly about GKMC
???

its not clear when I dont know the extent of your retardation

>its not clear
it was to different paragraphs you dummy
and TPAB is obviously not the one with radio friendly songs

Beyonce is a stupid cunt though lmfao

This

Beyonce is pure shit take this to twitter and tumblr you gays.

>Beyonce is pure shit
why?

Bad music
Get off this site homo
Here's something to scare you off

>on the board that unironically listens to Kanye, Bowie, Grimes, tons of other kinds of pop
>take this shit to twitter and tumblr

how new are you?

>Bad music
why?

i hope the ebil rayciss cops shoot beyonce desu

WUZ

I really am not a fan of the way Beyoncé lacks a penis

Hold Up was the best track from 2016, and Lemonade was pretty damn good. It's exactly what a good Pop album is supposed to be.

I feel like this board doesn't enjoy artists like Beyonce only because of their public image and fan base. Putting aside if Lemonade had a lot of writers, it still was great, the number of writers don't change the albums quality.

KINGZ

What the fuck happened to Sup Forums?

Beyonce fans? You retards would've been shamed off this board in 2012.

Kendrick Lamar didn't sell out to promote a shitty streaming site

If Beyonce died tonight I would not care at all.

because he doesn't have one

ok

do you even know how many kanye fans on this board?

kanye made a respectable record (mbdtf). not my cup of tea but he has some artistic chops beyond basic top 40.
beyonce on the other hand is equivalent to katy perry, taylor swift, etc.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing

I fail to see where I said it's a bad thing

beyonce's music is bad but i'd let her piss in my mouth

>beyonce on the other hand is equivalent to katy perry, taylor swift, etc.
have katy perry or taylor swift made a concept album?
how many visual albums they've made?

I hate all of them.
And maybe they care about the music more than the lyrics, ever thought of that?

>maybe they care about the music more than the lyrics
it's actually the opposite

Blake's little interlude serves no purpose in the concept of the record. He's obviously there for his name and not for his art.

Beyonce tries to do rapping and particular vocal inflections on this record that are obviously very amateur in how sluggish they are and how weak her enunciation is. Compare the mixing on this record to her other ones hell even some live music of hers and you'll notice her vocals aren't as raw as they should be.

The music itself is far less kinetic than the bangers on Kendrick's albums like Poetic Justice and maad City.

None of the tracks on Lemonade have an arrangement, variety in timbres, variety in vocal technique, and general variety in structure and melody that a track like "u" has.

All the tracks on Lemonade are relatively shallow since their structure entails usually just an intro and two parts while even a pop track like King Kunta from Kendrick has a more diverse structure.

Little things that can be actually measured and listened for.

/thread

>He's obviously there for his name and not for his art.
he's not just singing there, he also produced 2 tracks, one of which doesn't have his name

>Compare the mixing on this record to her other ones hell even some live music of hers and you'll notice her vocals aren't as raw as they should be.
you probably also complain that yeezus has the same "problem"
you forget that they all are maisntream artists in the first place, they don't have to make it the rawest
even "i" on TPAB sounds like it's made in the studio, then all these sounds of croud were added

>The music itself is far less kinetic than the bangers on Kendrick's albums like Poetic Justice and maad City.
literally how

>comparing r&b/pop rap to "avant-jazz rap" this hard

>track like "u"
this track is definitely a stand out, but on Lemonade there's an equivalent of this which is that Sandcastles/Forward thing, it basically does the same function of quirky dark interlude before an uplifting banger, but in different genres

none of those things make the music good or bad

>classifying the themes of the albums as "BLM ideas"
I want Sup Forums to leave

*smacks lips*

blonde is a fucking snooze

>he's not just singing there, he also produced 2 tracks, one of which doesn't have his name
One that he had a minor contribution on, and the interlude.

>you probably also complain that yeezus has the same "problem"
...no?

>you forget that they all are maisntream artists in the first place, they don't have to make it the rawest
But her earlier stuff was a lot more punchy. Instead on this record her vocals sound kinda...flat not like theoretically but just the normal definition of the word flat. You'll often notice that people with flatter voices are the types that never go further into a show like American Idol or w/e because it's not a good clear sound. This has nothing to do with being mainstream.

>literally how
No track on Lemonade has the upbeat and relatively speedy rhythms of those two tracks.

>comparing r&b/pop rap to "avant-jazz rap" this hard
Why are you in this thread if you are not? The OP is literally comparing Kendrick and Beyonce despite not being remotely similar outside of themes.

>Sandcastles/Forward thing, it basically does the same function of quirky dark interlude before an uplifting banger, but in different genres
Yet it's nowhere near as visceral, as musically complex, nor diverse with its timbres. Not to mention that's nothing like "u" it's more like the usual track to track changes stuff rather than taking the same track and messing greatly with its structure.

Because it's shit, and Beyonce is a shit artist. What can we say? Comparing Lemonade to "TPAB" is fucking criminal, the production, the writing, the involvement of the actual motherfucking performer.

Lemonade has "Don't Hurt Yourself", and that's some classic Jack White shit with Bey doing some Zac de la Rocha meets The Raconteurs thing going for it. That's it. The rest of it is just boring rnb-pop that's 6 years passed its use by date, and it if weren't for the anger and political imagery it'd pass without even a comment.

Beyonce didn't make that album. An army of producers did. Beyonce couldn't mix her own beat if her life depended on it. And I don't know if she really gives a shit about the political themes, but when it only comes in at this point in her career, on an album mostly written by other people, it doesn't feel like a sincere statement of protest. It feels like she knows this will get her attention now, that it's finally acceptable, despite bands like RATM doing this shit DECADES before. Formation? Try Killing in the Name motherfucker.

>Because it's shit
why?

Sure. And as one of the biggest popstars, she may have a big reach, but she's done so by deliberately avoiding mentioning this shit ever.

That's why Kendrick doing it when he's an unknown is admirable, and Beyonce climbing on the bandwagon is deplorable.

Neither does Bey. It's the cheating husband she's supposedly pissed at who does. So you're buying into drama they've clearly overhyped to make them money while you pretend you're taking sides, they're just colluding.

Why should making a "Tidal Exclusive" be admirable? It just shows you're too close to the moneymen (In this case, Jay), you're a sellout corporate whackjob, and that you're going to use your art to sell subscriptions. An artist should be recognised for their lack of substance for engaging in this.

"Visual Album". That's a funny way to describe making an album's worth of music videos on the cheap with minimal effort.

Concept album? You realise she doesn't make the whole thing? Girl doesn't play anything on there, doesn't write the beat. And when the other collaborators are important enough to be featured, you know DAMN WELL who the artist was.

She's a fun performer. Stop pretending she's a great writer or artist.

>One that he had a minor contribution on, and the interlude.
i really don't understand why you're complaining only about james blake then

>...no?
then you're just a hypocrite
or maybe you havent heard this youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM

>No track on Lemonade has the upbeat and relatively speedy rhythms of those two tracks.
>dont hurt yourself
>sorry
>formation
>freedom

>But her earlier stuff was a lot more punchy
not really

>The OP is literally comparing Kendrick and Beyonce despite not being remotely similar outside of themes
>Yet it's nowhere near as visceral, as musically complex, nor diverse with its timbres. Not to mention that's nothing like "u" it's more like the usual track to track changes stuff rather than taking the same track and messing greatly with its structure.
i didn't say they're similar
i don't deny that this track is better than Sandcastles/Forward, as well as i dont deny that TPAB is better than lemonade
however i dont understand why this album gets this amount of hate on this board
people on here unironically praise mumble rappers, lots of pop albums, but this album is hated
they cant even explain why this album is bad because if they'll try to do it, it will be all about the fact that this is a pop album, but the biggest part of Sup Forumscore is also pop, which doesn't have any fucking logic
i think i would never care about lemonade this much if i there weren't contrarians

she is a great artist tho? she directs her projects. shes the vision. without her they wouldnt fucking exist. and no, dont even try to convince me that any of her peers could pull something like this off even if the label tried it. she's just BEYONCE BABY!!!

Why is having lots of writers/producers a negative thing? Also, I don't see Kendrick credited as producer anywhere whereas Beyonce is on every track.

Did I fucking stutter cunt? Read the rest of the post.

Why? Are you fucking 2 years old? Because for all the themes, it's still a pop rnb/club rap album of the times. I explained this. There's good shit on there, it's not world breaking, it's your regular pop shit. Comparing it to Kendrick is just so weak, so pointless. They're just in complete other leagues, he outshines her in every regard.

Why does it suck? Well, because it's the lead singer of Destiny's Child doing what she's being doing since she was a member of Destiny's Child and mainly putting on a show with her dancing and her stage show. Because for the most part, the album is boring, and a big part to the lack of interest in it is that for the most part, there isn't interesting composition work here. Pop has gotten really lazy in composition and production, particularly her special brand, and that shows on her album. Just because some clickbait site told you how "Badass" Formation was and compared the backup dancers for her Superbowl show to the Black Panthers doesn't make it meaningful. The Black Panthers actually did something (Mostly violence and killing cops). She's just copping the aesthetic and a topic that people have known for decades and bands have been protesting since Rodney King. It's so many years too late to evaluate it in a political context. It's not revolutionary, it's old news.

>music videos on the cheap with minimal effort.
you didn't watch Lemonade if you say this

>Concept album? You realise she doesn't make the whole thing?
so? kanye also didn't make the whole MBDTF

>She's a fun performer.
she's a director
youtube.com/watch?v=8Lo5kxo6fwA

i don't care about how much money she and her husband get, it's not really about music
i don't care if this drama was only for controversy (which is most likely true) because this album is well made
this "sell-out" thing is hilarious, she's one of the most selling pop stars on the planet, did you expect her to stop making more money when her husband owns a brand new streaming service?

She's the brand, not the vision. She doesn't give Jack White the riff, she doesn't give anyone the beat. Don't get the two mixed up, popstars like her are a corporate product.

I'm not saying she can't be good on her own terms. As far as a show goes, she's fucking incredible, those moves, that delivery? Every night? That would kill most performers, and they would not do half as good a job at it. She's an incredible performer, a consistent vocalist, a talented dancer, and puts on a good show.

A revolutionary artist, writer, or anything else? No. Not at all. She'll take ideas decades late once they're safe and hijack them. She'll use the most generic beats of her time. She's comfortable. She's safe. She's not a composer, and it's incredibly frustrating talking to people like you who clearly don't make beats or music, because otherwise you'd realise how much effort goes into just making the fucking track and not the soloist vocalist on top and give credit where credit's due for the song's actual writing.

both shit, get some taste guys

I did. It's minimal effort for making enough music videos for an entire album. But you're obviously too stupid to notice that.

Did I mention Kanye? No? Stick a screwdriver in your pooper.

She's a director too, but her performances are really amazing. I'm not trying to just hate, her ability as a performer is actually awe inspiring. To deliver vocals and perform and dance like that for as long as she does is really impressive, and I think people underestimate just how much work she does there, because things like that are a big part of how significant she is.

I'm the other commenter there too. You missed my point. Badly. Like, you fucked your own face badly.

My point is, there's nothing to be proud of that you can put out a Tidal exclusive. It's corporate shit. It's not the music, the only thing that matters. Which I made pretty clear, it's just a shame you're not literate.

I don't care about the money either. Hence the post. I think Tidal is stupid, because it basically is about making the art harder to get at.

I'm exaggerating on the controversy bit, because people are playing like Tidal is a status symbol, rather than the album's presence there revealing it for the artifice it is.

I'm not expecting her to not make money fuccboi. I'm expecting for stupid cunts like you to not praise her for JUST making money. At least this time you almost did, so kudos for being semi-competent on this pass. But being on Tidal says only negative things for her. Get over it.

I'm just saying take it for what it is. It's good pop. It's not groundbreaking or revolutionary. It's just a polished production from some of the biggest figures in the industry. As far as creativity, innovation or revolution like OP is talking? It's utter crap, but if you take it for what it is, it isn't half bad, "Don't hurt yourself" is an incredible track.

none of that has to do with music. you can have all those and still make a shitty album, which beyonce did.

she doesnt have to do everything herself if she knows its gonna be of higher quality by collaborating with other great artists?? the fact of the matter remains that the project itself wouldnt exist without her and yea delivery and vocals and brand is all pretty essential to this type of album lol

>Read the rest of the post

>Jack White shit with Bey doing some Zac de la Rocha meets The Raconteurs thing going for it.
how does it make this album shit?

>The rest of it is just boring rnb-pop that's 6 years passed
since when rnb-pop passed its use by date?

>it if weren't for the anger and political imagery it'd pass without even a comment.
she made a previous album without any political imagery in 2013

>Beyonce didn't make that album
she did, she's a director
why would you do all thing by yourself if you can use other people? the same thing kanye does
everything on this album is her vision

>Beyonce couldn't mix her own beat if her life depended on it
how do you know? she's a producer on every track

>despite bands like RATM doing this shit DECADES before.

>it's still a pop rnb/club rap album of the times

>it's your regular pop shit
how's a concept album regular now?

>Comparing it to Kendrick is just so weak, so pointless. They're just in complete other leagues
wrong
they're both maisntream artists who make somewhat political music

>it's the lead singer of Destiny's Child doing what she's being doing since she was a member of Destiny's Child and mainly putting on a show with her dancing and her stage show

>Because for the most part, the album is boring
for you

>there isn't interesting composition work here
it's a pop album for fuck's sake

>Pop has gotten really lazy in composition and production, particularly her special brand
so you just hate the whole genre? what an idiot

>Just because some clickbait site told you how "Badass" Formation was and compared the backup dancers for her Superbowl show to the Black Panthers doesn't make it meaningful
yes
but how is it not meaningul?

>She's just copping the aesthetic and a topic that people have known for decades and bands have been protesting since Rodney King

this omg
these beyonce haters just wanna discredit her so bad but the facts are right here. if you dont like beyonce pop music just isnt for you its not her fault

>It's minimal effort for making enough music videos for an entire album
those music videos are not cheap, and they're well made

>It's corporate shit. It's not the music, the only thing that matters.
you care about too much ouside of music when you judge her music

>I don't care about the money either.
based on what you said previously, you care about it a lot, maybe even more than about her albums

>it's just a shame you're not literate
the irony

>I'm expecting for stupid cunts like you to not praise her for JUST making money
where did i praise her? where did i care about her money?

>But being on Tidal says only negative things for her
why? just because she wants to make more money using her husband's serice?
that's also not about her music

>As far as creativity, innovation or revolution like OP is talking
you can also read OP's post once again

>i really don't understand why you're complaining only about james blake then
His contribution is there for the name obviously more so than anyone else's since his most major contribution is one that doesn't really contribute much to the concept of the work. You can go straight from Sandcastles to Freedom.

>then you're just a hypocrite
Nah, there's no such problems like that on Yeezus. It's far from perfect but it definitely doesn't lack on the idea of making things visceral.

>list of tracks
Yeah and none of those are at the level of what I am talking about. Don't Hurt Yourself has her trying to do that unhinged thing, but the vocal mixing thing I was talking about made it less visceral than it could've been, and less visceral than the feel the track was going for. The rest of those tracks are both more on the repetitive side and mid-tempo as fuck with very little in terms of rhythmic play happening.

>however i dont understand why this album gets this amount of hate on this board
It's more the idea of it being a cash grab that really puts people off from it on Sup Forums. Musically it's MBDTF and The Archandroid without the variety in tones, timbres, sounds, and structures that those albums bring to the table. Conceptually it's far more selfish than the kind of humble yet empowering message something like TPAB or Archandroid had. The way it was released, and the false things it insinuated about Beyonce's personal life as the truth rubbed many people the wrong way.

>people on here unironically praise mumble rappers, lots of pop albums, but this album is hated
If you think the mumble rap praise is unironic, you're still new to this place. The only praise it gets is just for the fact that it's something new, and perhaps that's the one thing it has over Lemonade that people would respect here (at least in terms of its more pioneering artists.)

>babby's first attempt at a false flag
a pathetic move

>they cant even explain why this album is bad because if they'll try to do it, it will be all about the fact that this is a pop album, but the biggest part of Sup Forumscore is also pop, which doesn't have any fucking logic
When's the last time this place praised recent radio pop stuff that isn't poptimists (who like this record) nor Kanye?

>i think i would never care about lemonade this much if i there weren't contrarians
So your own reason for giving the record this much support is in the same shallow vein as the reason you purport Sup Forums to hate it for?

Anyone who thinks TPAB is some kind of BLM album is a huge retard who's never even listened to it. A bunch of hardcore BLMers got pissed at him for his attitudes on police shootings on stuff like Blacker the Berry, you'd have to really miss the point to think it's about kill whitey

>Nah, there's no such problems like that on Yeezus
in fact there is

>It's more the idea of it being a cash grab that really puts people off from it on Sup Forums
>The way it was released, and the false things it insinuated about Beyonce's personal life as the truth rubbed many people the wrong way.
so basically people care about things ouside music more than about music itself when they form their opinion

>without the variety in tones, timbres, sounds, and structures that those albums bring to the table
you dont know anything about all these things you mentioned if you really think that it lacks any of them, except for structures

>If you think the mumble rap praise is unironic, you're still new to this place
pretty sure young thug praise was ironic, now it seems more unironic

That's because Sup Forums is misogynoir
#woke
#hmm
#okay #den

i'm not talking about radio pop in particular
the biggest part of Sup Forumscore is pop which is different from a regular radio pop or less popular just enough to be praised on here

>So your own reason for giving the record this much support is in the same shallow vein as the reason you purport Sup Forums to hate it for?
i support it because i like it a lot
i didn't like it much on the beginning, i was just trying to analize what's so bad about it people hate it so much, it made me listen to this album more until it grew on me and i realized that this album is not bad at all
i dont care much about pop music in general

>in fact there is
You just keep saying that without elaborating while here I am spending too much of time elaborating everything you ask of me.

>so basically people care about things ouside music more than about music itself when they form their opinion
Well, if that's how they wanna form their opinion that's on them.

>you dont know anything about all these things you mentioned if you really think that it lacks any of them, except for structures
Compared to MBDTF and The ArchAndroid it's baby level stuff.

>pretty sure young thug praise was ironic, now it seems more unironic
Not all of Sup Forums is one person, and that honestly counts for why some people like/dislike Lemonade as well. A lot of people that hate on it are probably fans of it IRL. Again, you're new here if you care THIS much about what people here think.

>the biggest part of Sup Forumscore is pop which is different from a regular radio pop or less popular just enough to be praised on here
But that's not the ticket to instant popularity here. You may not be talking about the record's status as radio pop, but they probably are.

>i support it because i like it a lot
>i think i would never care about lemonade this much if i there weren't contrarians
I minor contradiction from you here, but w/e, you do you.

>i didn't like it much on the beginning, i was just trying to analize what's so bad about it people hate it so much
See, I think at the end of the day you're new here, and thus you took some of the memes here too seriously. The first half of this statement exemplifies that. Regardless of what anyone else says, you always go in impartial for music listening. Just take this as a lesson to not take things at face value on Sup Forums...or really anywhere on Sup Forums and most places on the internet.

Why is Kendrick bad?

lemonade is better than Kendrick Lamar's stuff