Fencing

Hey guys!

I wonder if any of you have any experience with fencing. I've basically never fenced before, but am reasonably fit, and have been looking for a competitive sport to get into for a while now; fencing seems perfect.

I was looking mostly at saber as I like the fact that you should be able to cut as well as thrust. So anyhow, is it possible to start fencing as an adult? I'd eventually want to compete (obviously not on olympics level or anything like that). Also, is it very hard on the knees?

my school has a fencing club i could join

i won't though because i'm not a faggot

good luck in your quest

>is it possible to start fencing as an adult?
yeah it's not that hard to learn
There is always an adult beginner group in my club

Yeah but won't I be the biggest loser for the rest of my life? Most of the fencers I know have been doing it since they were 6...

Watch those edges m8.

>Yeah but won't I be the biggest loser for the rest of my life?
No since there are a lot of other beginners in your age group
Of course you will never be as good as Olympic fencers. But sports is not about winning

>But sports is not about winning

how quaintly european of you

>sports is not about winning

Sure, but we're talking about a 1v1 sport. I have no illusions, if one never wins, or never even sees the possibility of victory, he/she will eventually give up due to frustration.

Dude, I started when I was 10 and I was never very good (mediocre at best). However, I still go and fence to this day because I find the sport oddly relaxing.
Just try and see if it's your thing, many clubs have spare gear you can use to start without having to buy expensive equipment.

>but what if I feel bad :(

holy fuck, just go dude, you won't know until you try, if it's something that turns out to be something you're passionate about, then you'll stick with it

I will, come september when I resume my studies.

I just noticed that there are some sports where if you're not good enough, you never will be able to start it as an adult. Think: football. All the adult "leagues" are made of players who have been playing it as a kid, literally noone starts to pick up soccer as an adult and if they do they are quickly bullied into stopping.

That's comforting to know. And yeah, most offer equipment at least till you finish "basic training" which is a good couple of months.

What weapon did you fence with?

szeretem magysrország

magyarországot*

Why don't you just build or forge a sword and go practice in gypsy areas? Are you a pansy?

>know nothing about swords
>go into gypsy are with my sword
>get knifed because know nothing about swords

Yea I don't wanna die thanks

Where was this? I'm in Italy too and would like to try but dunno where to go, how expensive is it?

People here play 5 a side or soccer 7 with mates well into their 50's, some literally can't even run cause they're fatfucks.

I know, but they have been playing since they were children. They may not have their physical abilities anymore, but they have a shitton of game knowledge and technique, forged with decades of practice. I don't even know where the fuck I am supposed to stand..
>mfw football

Are you dumb? How is anyone going to knife you if you have a sword? A sword is way bigger than a knife.

>All the adult "leagues" are made of players who have been playing it as a kid, literally noone starts to pick up soccer as an adult and if they do they are quickly bullied into stopping.
fencing is not like that because it's such a niche sport. Many people only ever come to know about it once they are adults

Also many people that start as children usually don't take training that seriously when they get older. I started out as a child and won tons of state competitions back in my day.
now that I'm in my early 20's fencing is mostly a social activity for me kek

That's nice to hear, thanks.

I started sabre at 19, you can catch up pretty quick if you are fit and dedicate several days a week to training. Obviously you won't get an Olympics gold, but maybe you have a shot at the Euros.

>maybe you have a shot at the Euros
I'm 24, if I would be able to compete just on the national scene, that would be a huge fucking accomplishment in my book.

Btw I'm really checking sabre out, why did you choose sabre over the other two?

My brother was a sabreour & I liked this one out of the 3 the most because it's more aggressive & plus I'm 170cm and sabre is more forgiving on shorter guys.

Is it an issue that I'm ~190? I also have hugeass legs, and I hear that epée might be better suited for tall guys, but I kinda like sabre..

Nah, being tall's always an advantage, it's just less so in sabre

Good to know, thanks.