I really liked this. What artists are similar to Slint?

I really liked this. What artists are similar to Slint?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9kpa1RlET2w
youtube.com/watch?v=HX2CmkdTIgE
youtube.com/watch?v=IfV1pNKb0do
youtube.com/watch?v=7YUEB1t-lEU
youtube.com/watch?v=4r3fnXoPoC4
youtube.com/watch?v=ArFeqv0GvoA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You'll never find anything in the genre that's as good. Which aspects do you like best about it?

There's nothing similar to them. I don't think they're the best in Post-Rock, but they're unique.

excuse me what is that thing you put on the cover?

nothing really, people have tried to find similar groups

lots of emo bands took their style and punked it out a little more

indian summer, native nod, kolya, cerberus shoal, etc

sonic youth are better than the slints

all of their albums in fact

maybe like Rodan, June of 44, or A Minor Forest
nothing is quite like Slint though

Hoover, A Minor Forest, Unwound, Indian Summer, Bitch Magnet, Seam, Duster

Some of those bands are on the heavier side of things, more like Tweez but they're all great

youtube.com/watch?v=9kpa1RlET2w
youtube.com/watch?v=HX2CmkdTIgE
youtube.com/watch?v=IfV1pNKb0do
heres a sample of each btw

There are some parts from King Crimson's album Red that give a similar feeling. It's still pretty different though.

Listen to this user. Other bands they were friends with from the hometown (Louisville, KY) tried to build off Slint's sound.Check out Rachel's, too.
Also, look into Chicago bands who influenced Slint. Spiderland took the sound of Rapeman's Budd EP and mixed it with a Southern gothic aesthetic. Jesus Lizard and Shellac, as well as The Breeders' first album Pod (which has the drummer from Slint) have similar bass driven sparse arrangements.

oh yeah I forgot to mention their Louisville contemporaries. That whole late 80s-early 90s scene is amazing

Big Black/shellac, Duster off the top of my head

A Minor Forrest

Lemme grab some samples
youtube.com/watch?v=7YUEB1t-lEU
youtube.com/watch?v=4r3fnXoPoC4
youtube.com/watch?v=ArFeqv0GvoA

That era was punk's peak, IMO. A lot of contemporary stuff is just feels like variations on the developments from that time period.

Definitely, while I appreciate the explosiveness of punk in the early 80s that period is where the genre really matured and took on a whole different approach to songwriting in general

Early 80s hardcore is inadvertently the most important genre in rock

I wouldn't debate this

ya but you could say that about new wave too

Big Ups last album

you'll never find anything exactly like spiderland, that's just another reason why it's so fucking perfect. it's completely 1 of a kind.

definitely check out the other bands they were friends with in louisville around that time. also, check out the for carnation, the band david pajo & brian mcmahan were in following slint. still pretty good, but doesn't compare to spiderland imo. and squirrel bait, brit whalford & mcmahan's band revious to slint. and if you can find anything from maurice, of which pajo, mcmahan & whalford were members, check that out as well.

if you haven't already, check out tweez & their self titled ep. and watch the breadcrumb trail documentary if you're truly interested.

glad you enjoyed my all time favorite album, OP. :)

also bedhead

The For Carnation

enabler sounds like slint, especially output negative space