/daily/ - "half the people in this OP pic are gone" edition

When was the last time we had the legitimate date here?

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GtQTJjvu2nk
youtube.com/watch?v=QIf2GgA1rGc
youtu.be/2UtWLNk7-j8
youtu.be/fZu34whk-uA
youtu.be/p3vTu6slrcw
youtu.be/WlFvb7kWAbk
youtu.be/kIky5P9LR-E
youtu.be/x_yKRJxWAr8
youtu.be/t6maVVFs0As
kylegann.com/PNM-WellTunedPiano.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Old /daily/ edit of an old Sup Forums pic

never noticed top right corner :{}

that pic is golden

why is angela merkel there

kanzler

ha ha, ho ho

For those into Krautrock, check this out. Hypnotic as hell. Not too huge of a step down from the big Krautrockers

get out

Took me a while to notice Hampus down there, lmao. Is that a giant Shaq? There's so much going on in this pic

Shitposts are cool, but post real content every once in a while

hehe t. embryo :)

how can your content be real if you aint a real nigga

but i'm just stating that album's title :}
i do post real content every once in a while!

listening to The Well Tuned Piano rn, which somebody was nice enough to upload in full to yt
it's fucking my shit up good, there's so much to pay attention to

My fault

it was a p weak "joke" desu

Would be better if I knew german

just burn your tongue, you'll be speaking the language in no time
youtube.com/watch?v=GtQTJjvu2nk

I still haven't listened to it since doggo told me to months ago but it's hard to get motivated to sit down for 5 hours when The Black Record is just alright.

Tell us if it's really that good.

an hour in and it's still interesting despite being just a guy dicking around on an out of tune piano :^)

remind me to listen to more Terrence McKenna lectures

30 starts off incredibly with Sweet Mellow D, a great minimalistic track, followed by an unfortunately shorter version of Crispy Bacon, which is one of my favorite tracks of all time. The next tracks are pretty good and would do well with passive listening, but they aren't as impressive as some of his more detailed and rich tracks. The sample of The Hoe is not fun. Theme from Larry's Dub is interesting and something unexpected for Garnier, which got me more excited for the end of this, which has Flashback and 2 more tracks that are at the same level as the middle of the album: good, not great.

3/5

Read Food of the Gods (pro tip : listen to the audiobook on YouTube)

also this
rym refuses to label it krautrock cuz it's not from germany but it's pretty much the same thing and came out a couple years before most krautrock bands recorded anything

rec me

>there's a track titled "The New Messiah Coming 1985"
>Hunter's birthyear
hmm

Embryo - Steig Aus

:p

destroyer- your blues

the work - rubber cage

okay
looking forward to seeing which one I like the least

>

mine, probably

did you have that in mind when you recommended it?

Let us know

i mean, at this point, can it even be a coincidence?

what's some black metal as good as this?

youtube.com/watch?v=QIf2GgA1rGc

o look with that title they even predicted heavy metal -i mean Sabbath wasn't even a thing in 67- and they already knew that it's for children too

I kinda rushed to finish this chart but I didn't have better things to do.
So here are my favorites:

>Lamp • 恋人へ (2004)
Sweet vocals & smooth twee-pop melodies: as good (and limited) as any essential 1980's City-Pop produced by Hosono (minus the Fusion/funk elements).
youtu.be/2UtWLNk7-j8

>V.A. ~ Nippon Girls - Japanese Pop, Beat & Bossa Nova 1966-70 (2010)
Super groovy, colorful & catchy!! Cute Yéyé-tier singing with furious (freak)beat tracks. What Shibuya-kei has always dreamed of, tried to reach & failed. 70 minutes of intense pop hits without any boring tracks: I have to admit this is a bit exhausting considering the number of highlights, and the over-present bombastic production (the remastering probably made it worse), but it's easily one of the best sixties compilations I have ever heard.
youtu.be/fZu34whk-uA

>Shibusashirazu Orchestra • Shiburyu (1999)
Orgasmic avant-garde brass band; they're mainly an amazing show band but their trance-inducing music still holds well on CD.
youtu.be/p3vTu6slrcw

>Susumu Yokota • Symbol (2004)
Soothing Downtempo/Ambient with samples from classical works. Despite the formulaic idea, Susumu Yokota manages to create different moods (samples varies from 1870's Romanticism to 1970's Minimalism). youtu.be/WlFvb7kWAbk

>Kuniyuki Takahashi • All These Things (2007)
Amazing Broken Beat/NuJazz/Deep House released on Mule Records. A bit lounge-y but not soulless at all! Think about the more relaxed tracks of DJ Sprinkles, and you'll get the idea.
youtu.be/kIky5P9LR-E
youtu.be/x_yKRJxWAr8

using a 5 point scale right?
if that is the case I will wishlist the stuff mentioned in post

CltAltDelete inspired me to revisit this chart/score it. Anything in particular I should check out ASAP or add to my backlog?

Sorry about the poor formatting, GIMP is the fucking worst.

>such hatred for skinny fists
why?

>Anything in particular I should check out ASAP or add to my backlog?
Aesthethica and mayb Sing to God, fuck the rest desu

I'm assuming you're not really into metal but listen to these at some point:
Burzum - Filosofem
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Gorguts - Obscura
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Isis - Panopticon
Mastodon - Leviathan
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

listen to master of puppets

yep, 0/5 to 5/5.
add the album from Acid Mother Temple, it's pretty good too, but I think it's quite well-known.

Ken Ishii - Extra the video is a huge classic: youtu.be/t6maVVFs0As
Luomo - Vocalcity
Arca - Mutant (watch the videos too to get the full experience)

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygen is an incredible album imo.

I dunno man, it just felt so... pretentious? I love the other albums I've heard by Godspeed but it didn't really stick with me at all. I dunno how to describe it. I've tried to re-listen to it a few times but I rarely get more than halfway through the first track. It feels tedious, while most post-rock couldn't be more relaxing.

Everyone loves it but I just feel like I'm missing something, idk.

Been meaning to check Aesthetica out, actually. Especially since I've heard such good things. I'll add Sing to God to my backlog as well.

I'm usually only into like sludgy/stoner metal but I definitely need to explore more of the genre. Thanks!

Will do!

>hasn't heard ThePowersThatB yet

You should fall for this meme, desu

the riff isn't bad, but what do you like about this? the vocals are bad, and everything else is p subpar.

I'm gonna start posting Qwerty style rants on RYM and generally not giving a fuck. I got one in mind

If you're into sludgy/stoner metal definitely give the Isis, Mastodon, and Acid Bath albums a listen

Sweet, added em to my log. IDM kinda stuff is hit or miss to me but I'll be sure to check out the videos alongside Mutant.

>Progressive Electronic

Always down.

Literally the only hip-hop essential I haven't heard. I really dig No Love Deep Web so hopefully that means I'll enjoy Powers That B.

also listen to 77' Live and Jeff Mills Live in the Liquid Room because the're pretty good

first half is take it or leave it but the second half is peak DG

next OP should be this

i like the ominous riff and the atmosphere really. i actually find the vocals nice.
i checked transilvanian hunger out but other than the title track it's not as powerful or in-your-face as i'd like it to be, maybe it's a grower?

>second half is peak DG
this, i never understood fags who put jenny in last place. there is like 1 weak (and 1 that is a big long) track and that's it

what's worse is all the people saying NotM is way ahead of its time and will be remembered as a classic in a few years. I feel like few people actually think this and it's more of vocal minority

Here's mine. I think the only thing I've bumped up Pet Sounds, New Order, and Cecil Taylor.

loveless isn't a 9? for shame

loveless is a 9? for shame

nah it is. I made this like 6 months ago so I've moved some stuff around since, but most things rated low are still the same

yeah

(it's actually a ten)

loveless is? for shame

is? shame

Damn, not bad even though you gave some of my favorites 3s/4s. What even is that New Order score? Hahaha

shame is a 9?

please refrain from "posting" these "anime" "images"

Added!

I've had '77 Live on my log forever, I just haven't gotten around to it yet cause it's so long. Added the Jeff Mills one though.

Checking this one out first, ngl

this

shame is loveless

damn... really makes me 思う

Wait none of these links work

le archive, newfriend.

(or Sup Forums x // anything which will link to it automatically)

It's the current year + 2 and you don't have 4chanX?

Oh duh. Having one of those days

I notice a trend (not only in your ratings, also in my own and others') to be rather conservative (mostly 6/10 - 8/10) in rating albums in genres the reviewer is not familiar with. I wonder if rating these essentials charts is really worthwhile?

I'm probably most familiar with jazz, and that's the only one that fits that description because I enjoyed the most albums from that essential chart.

Most of the albums in bleep and metal, genres I'm much less familiar with, have much more rare 6s, 7s, and 8s than normal.

Oh wow I completely misinterpreted it, figured you didn't know a lot about jazz

Then my hypothesis is wrong

it's also maybe cause the jazz section is p much a long-established canon and other ones are whatever

La Monte Young - The Well Tuned Piano 81 X 25 6-17-50 - 11-18-59 EM NYC
This album is fucking gorgeous.
It takes about 30 minutes ti really hook you, but once it does oh man does it.
I sat there and did nothing for 5 hours, utterly mesmerised.
It's 5AM now, the sun is rising and there's a pleasant colour on the air.

Purple prose aside.

What attracts me to the music is the dissonances between notes that you get on certain intervals (the Wikipedia page says that the "piece" is built on a "pitch lattice" of perfect 5ths and harmonic 7ths, so we'll go with that, but basically the little wah-wah sound you get when two pitches don't quite match exactly when tuning an instrument). The whole recording is so dense with these dissonances in such pleasant and varied ways, that it was largely improvised is incredibly impressive to me. That it is just a piano producing these vast swathes of sound is also very impressive. It's just a really pleasurable listening experience.
Quite a few moments gave me the ear tickles, especially the parts where Young is going full ham on the keys with arpeggios, which is always a good thing, I always like it when that happens.

flame shield up, prepared to get totally shit on for this crap review

FUCK

i guarantee that at some point you'll listen to this again and bring that score down
im positive you're just caught up in the heat of the moment

Love you for actually doing this project Tuco

wew that's one lewd ian photo

G'day dudes!
This semester is already getting crazy; definitely the hardest and most full I'll have to do at uni.
I'll still catch up every few days (& try to listen to an album daily) but I really need to put less effort into music shitposting and more into education and whatnot.

Here's my last 25 albums.

>need to put less effort into (...) shitposting and more into education
same
how's that bley one like? how are you liking the nocturnes?

dubs

dubs or ban

>basically the little wah-wah sound you get when two pitches don't quite match exactly when tuning an instrument
this may have sold me on sitting down to listen

have a read of this btw if you want more theory shit, dogwander linked it to me for when I listened to it too
kylegann.com/PNM-WellTunedPiano.pdf

The bley was a little disappointing, kinda felt like the musicians were just jamming and hanging out rather than a focused project. Too conservative to be an avantgarde jazz record (despite the rym tag) and too noodly to function as a chill-out album.
Not bad, but not one I'd really recommend.

Nocturnes are great; trying to burn them in so they're not too distracting to study to.

FUCK

Also wtf, is everyone listening to jazz and minimalism now?

these are not real trips dont belive his lies

i'm not listening to either atm, hello ;)

Jazz and minimalism are the Beatles of music forum culture.

recc me an album off this chart that is good for people who are a little burnt out on jazz

it's the thing to do in daily along with listening to noisy avant rock for a long time. are you just noticing it?

the one by le funny hat space man

Waltz for Debby is great and it's a pretty easy listen

At the Mountains of Madness because it's basically not a jazz album