Why do people seem to have so much animosity towards The Lost World...

Why do people seem to have so much animosity towards The Lost World. I mean there's a significant number of people who hate it more than Jurassic Park III.

I know it's not a particularly great movie, but the amount of hatred its gotten over the years is a bit bizarre and over the top.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6laPiPI4RKU
agonybooth.com/recaps/The_Lost_World__Jurassic_Park_1997.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=-EOg5LI3v4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=UaKonkTpj1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well that's just like your opinion man.

I've got no idea, anything is better than JPIII.

I don't see how Jurassic World made as much as it did. It was a vampiric abomination with less soul than any other reboot to date.

I mean it's not great, but it's not as terrible as it was made out to be.

Movie goes downhill after Roland Tembo exits

Because it couldnt follow up the original.

Plus it has the gymnastics and the San Diego scene which seems to be either you love it or hate it

I like it myself, good outweighs the bad and Pete Postlethwaite is great in it

You've never seen it, no? Let me just tell you that aside from all shitty camera pans and scene transitions, shit CGI and everything in the matter of production and writing, a girl kicks the most perfect and agile predator ever created with some shitty acrobatics off the fucking windows and kills it. That was cringe. End of discussion. Grab a fucking Hitchock or Kubrick movie to see what a masterpiece is about and then go watch this movie again. Pleb

It's not only better than JP3, it's actually a fucking tremendously good movie, in the same way Alien and Aliens are equally good for different reasons.

I feel like the people who shit on Lost World are shit eating pretentious fedora tipping hipsters.

>DAT FUCKING CLIFF SCENE

JPIII is much more comfy and has a cooler atmosphere

Yes there's a lot of stupid moments, but I like it more than JPII

It's fine and over-hated

1 > 2 >> 4 >>> 3

I don't think I've ever seen anyone try this hard to fit in.

When did Sup Forums became this? Why? We were a good board once. Talks about interesting movies

What exactly are you complaining about?

I disagree. It had the balls to introduce a new cast instead of leaning on the old one like a crutch (*cough* Star Wars). The premise was good; we finally got to see the majesty of the park being good. The cast was good overall, aside from maybe the kids. You even have callbacks to the original but it feels more natural to the story.

>You've never seen it, no?

I have.

>Let me just tell you that aside from all shitty camera pans and scene transitions

It was edited to shit, yeah I agree with that. Feels like it was even more violent and they cut it down to save for time.

>irl kicks the most perfect and agile predator ever created with some shitty acrobatics off the fucking windows and kills it

If you read the novels you'd know why something like that is included. There's far far far far more fantastical shit that doesn't make any sense in the Jurassic Park novel, I saw it as homage to that. It was stupid but it's not movie breaking.

>End of discussion

Not really, it's not a great movie, but the cinematography and atmosphere of the movie is gorgeous.

Compared to Jurassic World and Jurassic Park 3, at least it's inspired from an interesting place visually.

Don't know what are you talking about. It was a comfy dino-movie with a great soundtrack. I liked the atmosphere and characters (based rolland was goat). Only cons for me was that annoying girl.
youtube.com/watch?v=6laPiPI4RKU

It got great scenes (like Raptors in the tall grass and the Cliff scene) but whenever I put it on I always lose interest during the first hour because it's soo fucking sloow and boring

If Sup Forums was around when it came out it'd probably meme the fuck out of don't go into the long grass

>Plus it has the gymnastics
that's like three seconds of the movie, literally blink and you'll miss it
the fact that this is always the first and major complaint that people have about this movie just shows how misplaced the hatred is

Ugh, what a fucking pleb
Well the raptors tall grass scene is quite good and the set of the movie is nice, I'll give you that. But in the end I don't seem to enjoy it too much. JPI lacks action sometimes and JPII tries too hard to give action. The pace of the movie is weird. I don't know, it's just my opinion but I don't find it comfy, it lacks some awe and puts dinosaurs in a human level when it should be in terminator level of danger.

Most people are plebs, Lost World is pure unadulterated Kino. It's the only other patrician entry in the series aside from the first. Only plebs will disagree with this.

The "heroes" cause literally every human death in the film, and all the "bad guys" were gonna do was make a zoo.

Oh, plus the biggest role the "bad guys" have outside of getting killed by the "heroes" is rescuing them.

>and all the "bad guys" were gonna do was make a zoo.

I'd have a tough time arguing with you, but I think the point is that what they was running under the assumption that's an even worse idea. It's not handled well, but I'm assuming the working logic is you can't run a zoo with Dinosaurs, bad shit seems to happen.

They could have explained it better in depth.

The only problem it had are the shit story and unlikable character. The cinematography and soundtrack are great. The visual effects are amazing. JP3 isn't that far behind, even though it suffered from the most interesting part of the script being cut due to budget and time restrain.

The only Jurassic Park that was truly, absolutely shit with no redeeming value is Jurassic World. It's Marvelian capeshit cliche in JP disguise. Zero wonders, zero tension, shit acting, thick blue piss filter, shitty cinematography, and template movie jokes/memes up the ass.

Don't be silly. JP1 was almost cinema tier film, the rest are flicks.

I like them all tbqhwyf

Lost World:
>A child manages to gymnast kick a raptor
>Vince Vaughn's character is a dumbass that creates most of the conflict, but seeing as he's established as an ecoterrorist that's a given.

Jurassic Park 3
>Broke up Grant and Sattler
>Annoying divorcee couple
>What the fuck even ate that parasailing boat crew?
>Child survives for months alone on Dinosaur Island collecting T. Rex piss in jars
>Spinosaurus killing the T. rex to satisfy Jack Horner's hateboner for the Rex.
>Spinosaurus being a walking Peter Pan joke
>That Barney on TV joke they stole from the shitty 1998 Godzilla
>The Raptor Flute
>ALAN

Jurassic Park 3 shat the bed so hard the only dinosaur movie made between it and World's announcement was a fucking Ice Age sequel.

Weak bait. Leave out the shitty directors next time

>Broke up Grant and Sattler
Confirmed cuckino.

>What the fuck even ate that parasailing boat crew?
Nothing. He just died from injury and rot into skeleton.

>Child survives for months alone on Dinosaur Island collecting T. Rex piss in jars
Well, he luckily fell near a bunker full of stuff.

>Spinosaurus killing the T. rex to satisfy Jack Horner's hateboner for the Rex.
T-rex's animatronic broke, you manchild.

>The Raptor Flute
It was awesome. Wanted to have one as a kid.

I don't think the story was that shit. If it was better edited and longer paced, it could have been interesting. If it was just, 2 hours and 30 minutes like it obviously was before they cut it down, it would have matched the catharsis near the end. But the entire San Diego bit wouldn't be needed, I think it should have just ended escaping the island.

In concept, it's about the company that made Jurassic Park desperate for money to carry away unsafe and violent animals to a populated area. The human cost of lack of preperation and lack of communication between interests ends up stranding two competing people with different view points. Hunters and Mercenaries forced to deal with a situation they can't even control, are in the mix with people who've never dealt with survival situations.

In the end, despite the cost of the expedition the antagonist still values profit more than the people he's lost to his own creation. It could have been handled better. But the concept could have worked had it been edited better, or the scripted better.

I'd say it's like. a 7.

>Nothing. He just died from injury and rot into skeleton.

The guy who was taking the kid up on the kite died from injury and rotted. The people driving the boat just went out of view from clouds and left behind chewed up clothing.

>T-rex's animatronic broke, you manchild.
Most of the actual fight was CGI and they decided to break the T-Rex with the newer Spino animatronic after they shot the handful of inserts

>It was awesome. Wanted to have one as a kid.

Loser

>shit story and unlikable character.
Story was rough but the characters were mostly likeable. You don't like Ian, or what?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1) Terrible child actor
2) Plot is a series of vignettes instead of a coherent narrative
3) Ian Malcolm in name only - completely different character than in the first one
4) Ingen's army sans Postelwaite and Stormare are straight out of a fucking cartoon
5) All the night scenes are lit like some fucking schmuck from film school just got his first job
6) Julianne Moore is annoying as shit
7) Do you like 30-second shots of stunt double doing gymastics in a shoddy set with clearly disguised professional equipement? I sure do.
8) This might be the most phoned-in directing job Spielberg ever pulled
9) Who's the bad guy in this movie?
10) Why was this made?

Jurassic World is still a lot worse, but The Lost World is total dogshit.

It's a film about Man v Nature and it involves Dinosaurs, I think I can pass pretty much anything on the concept. Maybe I'm stupid, but I'd watch The Lost World over Jurassic World any day.

An in depth analysis for you m'fellow 'chonners

agonybooth.com/recaps/The_Lost_World__Jurassic_Park_1997.aspx

>site looks straight of 2002

no thanks

One of those films that I owned on VHS that I would repeatedly watch

Haters can fuck off

>The guy who was taking the kid up on the kite died from injury and rotted.
Shit just happens, maybe he got strangled or his head hit some thick branches. It's just a flick, why do you really need the details?

>Most of the actual fight was CGI and they decided to break the T-Rex with the newer Spino animatronic after they shot the handful of inserts
They just slammed them together without expecting who will win or lose. The Rex had thicker neck, so the team though he wouldn't lose.

>Loser
fag

Ian and Tembo are the only decent characters. The rest are just unlikable, especially the nignog kid and vince vaughn.

I never got the hatred for the kid. She's a lot better acted than the two shits in the latest one.

>She's a lot better acted than the two shits in the latest one.
Jurassic World? You don't say.

Brain dead ADHD moron.

I pity you.

It wasn't bad enough to not be entertaining, but goddamn was everything about it dumb as fuck.

just turn off your brain bro

I agree, it was absolute dogshit. Lost World was better and so was JP III. Jurrassic World had bad characters and lacked any sense that the film makers had any knowedge of how to make a film. The costumes lent absolutely nothing towards the characters or mise en scene, the sets looked like shit and were bland. The only good character in the entire movie was the paki that crashed the helecopter.

I guess, out of all the sequels, I enjoy TLW the most, because aside from Jurassic Park it's the most visually distinct. The cinematography of 3 and World might as well have been the same played safe shit. If I'm going to watch something, I at least want it to say something visually speaking.

Kubrick is a hack and should never have been anything more than a dp.

JP3 has that dark, foggy, and gloomy thick rainforest atmosphere that doesn't appear much in the other movies. It's certainly not as unique as TLW and JP1, but still nice and distinct.

Ian has PTSD and has lost his whole career, which is why is he is so different

The cage scene was memorable and inspired by the original book. Jp3 was a solid cash grab sequel. The characters were satisfying and the Laura Dern Dues Ex Machina at the end was also satisfying. Jurrassic World has absolutely nothing going for it.

It felt soulless as fuck, and yet at the same time, it felt like they were desperately TRYING to instill some soul into it, so I don't know what to think honestly

It has some great scenes, like the RV over the cliff. But it falls apart in the third act. Also Vince was miscast...I don't hate the guy, I think he's great in other stuff, I just didn't like him in this role.

Julianne Moore was hot as fuck though.

That's not true
youtube.com/watch?v=-EOg5LI3v4Q

>It's got Spielberg's competency and Stan Winston's special effects but Spielberg is clearly phoning it in with the movie.
>All the characters are terrible.
>everyone goofs around the entire movie until Spielberg can get to his homage to the silent film era Lost World at the very end. Which he explicitly states is the only thing that got him fired up to do a sequel in the bonus features.
>The big game hunter bagging his t-rex without repercussions or stakes in the plot or even at least saying some lines that resonates with the movie's larger themes exemplifies how aimless the movie is.

Don't use fancy words terms mise en scene if you have literally no idea what they mean lol. Shape up user your exam is tomorrow

how come that a jew has a full on nigger daughter?

I always thought it was literally his wife's daughter.

Can't fucking imagine

To be fair, the raptor is standing on some kind of thin metal pipe, or bar of some kind, small enough for it to lose its balance. And it's conveniently right next to the window.

Let's put it up with the original.

Ian Malcolm: dressed in all black, thinks the worst will happen to the park, rock star level ego
John Hammond: dressed in all white, god figure by bringing them back to life, pure of heart and has no ill motive
Alan Grant: outdoorsman apparel, fits his profession, he then leads the children through the park and saves them

Jurrassic World
Main chick: all white for no reason, bangs for no reason, should have been wearing grey with her hair up to fit her character but didn't
main dude: outdoorsy stuff and roids because lol raptor trainer cool

I can't remember anyone else from the movie. Oh yeah le quirky hipster haha, jurrassic park shirt I got on ebay, did you know I collect vinyl?

>Main chick: all white for no reason, bangs for no reason, should have been wearing grey with her hair up to fit her character but didn't
Because corporate executive in a futuristic theme park that looks like Tomorrowland/Epcot's bastard child with Sea World. And chicks have to wear bobcuts in futuristic settings, that's the law

>main dude: outdoorsy stuff and roids because lol raptor trainer cool
Wasn't he supposed to be a Marine or Army guy before he got a job at the dinosaur zoo? Of course he's ripped.

The shiny corperate thing is a big part of what made the movie shitty. Including her character. The all white still played no part in anything. Most military men aren't ripped, they just run all the time. Let alone roided at 6'2", gotta sell the vaginas tickets though.

Didn't the all white look get more dirty and disheveled as the park went to hell?

Both TLW and JP3 kind of fall apart toward the end, but TLW actually tried to have an epic conclusion to its story. The T. rex rampaging through San Diego was a pretty bold set piece despite its cheesiness. Compare that to JP3, which not only ends with some cop out "raptor flute" BS, but when the Marines are finally called in, there's no final confrontation. Remember how the first two ended, with the T. rex roaring gloriously? In JP3 the raptors just sort of walk away and that's it--hardly climactic at all.

You mean after she tucked her shirt into itself to be more battle ready or when the giant watersaur killed the trex in the extremely predictable way?

better director. spielberg's great with kids and kid actors. makes them feel real and relatable.

Jurassic Park is only more memorable because of the time it was released. Fewer films, fewer TV shows, fewer media-related distractions. So good things had lasting legacy. A great movie today has no staying power. Everyone moves onto the next thing the moment they leave the theatre.

I felt bad for the watersaur.

It had no idea of what it was, was kept in captivity, ate its sibling out of lacking parents and basically kills things to an attempt to find out where it was in the pecking order.

Misunderstood.

LW is pretentious, dull, and full of unlikable characters.
J3 isn't good, but at least it has some fun sequences here and there.

it was literally a rip off of mighty joe young which was itself a rip off of king kong

No, it is simply a better movie in every single way. For example when the helecopter is going towards the island, Grant ties two female seatbelts together, foreshadowing the dinos breeding because life finds a way. The pacing is on fucking point as well. It was a better screenplay to begin with. Movies aren't special effects, they're stories, and most big hollywood movies are written like shit these days, including Jurrassic World.

He was in the Navy and I loved the fact that they gave him a very small/short rifle to make him look bigger by comparison.

Felt bad for Blue at the end since she was calling for her pack while running away.

Dat Rex smashing through that fuckers skeleton from 3 was SO cash.

I how they really made the Rex look and act like she was really old. The scars and her slower reaction time.

Experience vs new technology,

Oh wait, I meant the other new type of Rex hybrid.

My bad.

I should have been clearer. I'm not disagreeing about what is better. Just going off on a tangent about IP legacy.

Oh Spielberg and his foreshadowing.

But without John Williams, he'd be nothing.

Look up this interview with both them being asked questions by film students.

Williams is a true Alpha.

That part actually wasn't bad. Jurrassic Park itself is Frankenstien with Dinosaurs so an actual frankensaur was a good idea. The camouflage skin was also from the book of the Lost World. But by making it so OP it really killed the suspense and didn't save the movie from being garbage.

>when the flying dinos rush the people for absolutely no reason

>That 4 minute death of the British nanny for not doing her job while Jimmy Buffet runs away with his two margaritas.

Epic.

The movie was bad because it was made before the book was even finished being written. That and there's no way they could follow the canon after all the changes they made in the original film. They literally had to make shit up, and were exposed. If I were Crichton, I'd become an evil spirit and haunt Spielberg to his grave.

It's more Island of Dr Moreau than Frankenstein desu

I mean Frankenstein is like 80 years older and Jurrassic Park is about bringing the dead back to life. Setting is more similar though.

And Moreau is more associated with turning people into furries and would be a more apt comparison for that one rejected Jurassic Park 4 script with the raptor/human/dog hybrid commandoes.

It's hot shit on a plate, served right up into your face with a cool sense of disregard for your prior moviegoing experiences

everything about the film was rushed. even the book was rushed. p sure Spielberg has admitted this several times.

honestly... It could have been far worse.

OFFICIAL RANKING :
1- Jurassic Park
2 - The Lost World
3 - Jurassic World
4 - Absolute dog shit
5- JP ///

1- Alan Grant
2 - Ian Malcolm
3- Roland Tembo
4- Robert Muldoon
5- Owen Grady

BEST SCENES

1- T-rex breakout
2- Raptors in the kitchen
3- Roland hunting the T-rex
4- T-rex vs Indominus Rex
5 - Aviary scene

But why does it stand there like an idiot? It could have gutted Malcolm in the time it takes his wife's daughter to do her little trick.

>magic negro
>mercedes benz product placement
>moar raptors, kids love raptors
>just in case we failed at everything else...T-rex in LA
>lots of repetitive shit about family.

It's a turd. Parts are entertaining, but they made it using a studio formula to get a wider audience.

The last part was in San Diego, retard

youtube.com/watch?v=UaKonkTpj1M

this scene alone is pure kino. Probably the only good part of JP3. the Lost World had no kino scenes.

>whole premise is dinosaurs killing visitors in a functioning part
>happens in literally one scene
>no actual dinosaurs in it, only pterosaurs and a mosasaur

Because it is a movie. Movies take time to set up a scene and premise. This is a rather complicated scene because it requires the viewer to understand where the raptor is, where Malcolm is, where the daughter, what the daughter is doing, and where the raptor, Malcolm, and the daughter are in relation to each other. Without the set up time, it would be visually confusing and lack dramatic build up.

Thinking JP /// is better than TLW

Just kill yourself man

Sorry, senpai.

Robert Muldoon is Alpha tier and deserves the 1st or 2nd spot.

He lived in the book because while raising the raptors, he played with them so they thought they were just playing with him again instead of actually hunting him.

Or even the movie version of him is Alpha:

Takes gas powered jeep to rescue Ian.
Goes to restore power.
Runs interference for Ellie.
Respects his opponent.
And those shorts.

Nah :) I love JP3.

The fuck are you gonna do, fuckboi?

rex could only beat a dead spino?

lmao

>tumblr

um ew

This. The bait could have worked if the apprentice trollster didn't mention the directors.