Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1800

Let's stop fucking up the OP edition.

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
Fuck Sup Forums

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=59814
mega.nz/#F!xZBCSSKB!VX4380uDNqmyFD36ngHmQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
mega.nz/#F!5RomFTDK!Vq6JgvNyStsJSgGklbYFBQ
vocaroo.com/i/s1uDQD06oqod
supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Racist mods deleted the real thread. Bumping this one since it actually has a title.

There we go. Thank you mods, and sorry for creating a mess.

I'm sorry for all your losses, let's move on towards building a better DJT for everynyan!

I feel like Im making progress but it seems so slow that I have the feeling that Im still really far away from real fluency

Learning a language is not a step-by-step task like Math or History or even programming languages.

It's more like a blurry picture that gets sharper and sharper as you go.

One day you catch yourself not squinting your eyes anymore and get surprised by it.

what did i miss in the last thread?

someone fill me in

D-did I overdo it?

>real fluency
I think that's almost impossible if you are not living in japan

Thanks brazil-kun for making the thread properly.

For everyone else, if you are going to make a thread please remember to add a title and number.

And maybe even if you are!

夢を破らないでくれ

>ウチ的にはかなりキてる

Anyone know what that キてる means here? Can't find any definition of 来る or the assorted きる’s that makes sense.

>きる(after the -masu stem of a verb) to finish; to complete

>after the -masu stem of a verb
かなり isn't a verb though

>来てる (sl) (uk) on a high; in vogue

That still doesn't really make sense in context tho

It does. It's in response to the brown text above.

it does make sense in context

But then why would she say マジやばいでしょう?

>やばい(P); ヤバい; ヤバイ (adj-i) (1) (col) dangerous; risky; (2) (sl) awful; terrible; crap; (3) (sl) terrific; amazing; cool
>(3) (sl) terrific; amazing; cool

Guess that'll work, thanks Eleven-san

>What's a good non-translated manga I can read to feel superior over EOPs?
mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=59814

すみっこの空さん 第1~8巻
mega.nz/#F!xZBCSSKB!VX4380uDNqmyFD36ngHmQQ

企業の単語を覚えるのなら、必ず「龍が如く」をプレイしてみて

>good non-translated manga
>good

Yes, good.

やばい and すごい are like "crazy" in that they can be used to mean pretty much anything you want them to

Adjectival Nouns #22: Advanced Adjectival Nouns

断固たる決意で彼女は任務を続けました。・だんこたるけついでかのじょはにんむをつづけました。・With resolute determination she continued on her mission.

断固たる決意・ダンコたるケツイ・resolute determination is made up of 断固・ダンコ・resolute and 決意・ケツイ・decide, linked by たる. 断固 is made up of 断 decision and 固 harden. 断 is a simplified kanji from 斷 which is an ideogrammic compound of 㡭 inherit (shows women and weapons) and 斤 axe. The original idea of this hanzi was to sever or cut someone off from their inheritance. This meaning is still represented by 断つ・たつ・to sever/cut off. 断 meanings have now also come to include decision, judgement or resolution. 固 meant strength and solidification in ancient China, it was a phono-semantic compound of 口 mouth and 十 ten, meaning solidifying 10 generations of knowledge. When this hanzi passed on to Japan its meaning of solidification was used. 固 now means to harden, curdle, set or clot. Together 断固 means to harden your decision or become resolute.

決意 is made up of 決・decide and 意・イ・idea/mind/desire etc. 決 has been covered before. The original form of 意 was 音 which showed a pictogram of a a mouth and a tongue, with sound on it. This kanji was later expanded with 心・heart/mind to give the kanji more meanings. Now it can also mean taste, idea, thought, desire, care or liking. Together 決意 show a 決 fixed upon 意 idea or decision/determination.

Together 断固たる決意 mean resolute determination - like you will not budge for anything. This is the most extreme version of resolution/determination you can use in Japanese. Use with caution.

Cont'd.

kill yourself

What if your taste is shit and only popular shit is considered good? How do you expect popular stuff to remain untranslated?

It's just slang. Their meanings are so far removed from their common usage now its useless learning them as words. If you go to Japan, just know that is how they are used by kids.

Cont'd.

任務・ニンム・mission/task/duty is made up of 任・ニン・responsibility and 務・ム・task. 任 has been covered before. 務 is phono-semantic compound of 敄 to put forth effort (made up of 矛 spear and 攵 rap) and
力 strength. The idea of this kanji is a unit of soldiers carrying spears and marching together, with that rhythmic 'rap, rap' sound of their armour and weapons clinking together as they perform some task in strength (of numbers). Together 任務 shows soldiers 任 responsible for carrying out some 務 task, or doing a 任務 mission.

続く・つづく・continue is simplified from 續 to continue, sell, carry on. It is a phono-semantic compound of 糸 rope/silk and 賣 to sell (simplified from 𧸇), which shows a merchant continuously selling silks. The meaning of this kanji refers back to the great silk road between China and the west, when it was thought the silk road trade would 続く continue on forever.

断固たる決意で・resolute determination (with)・彼女は・she (subject) ・任務を続けました。mission (object) continue.

Cont'd.

Why do you keep posting here?
No one wants you here and many are actively filtering you.
Why not go to Reddit or something? Your shit would likely be well received by those clowns instead of met with nothing but antagonism here. Or make a Youtube channel and post all your shit there in some manner and not here.
Do you have any respect for the thread and anons here? If you did, you'd stop posting. Please go away.

That is not how autism works, user. He can't understand why people would refuse his very "useful" and important information.

I feel bad for you, tho, some people have filtered your whole cunt and you get ignored without doin nuthin.

That's not nice.

Cont'd.

軍隊は堂々とした行進を行なりました。・ぐんたいはどうどうとしたこうしんをおこなりました。・The army performed a dignified march.

軍隊・グンタイ・army is made up of 軍・グン・force and 隊・タイ・regiment. 軍 is an ideogrammic compound of 車 cart and 冖 cover, it shows a covered war chariot, which back in ancient China was the most powerful military weapon on the field. 隊 is a phono-semantic compound of 阝abundant (mound of stuff) and 㒸 obey/comply, which shows a boar with big horns. This is a reference to wild boars and their social structure, or the reverence the ancient Chinese had to large wild boars. 隊 can mean unit, regiment or company - any force of soldiers.

堂々とした行進・dignified/grand march is made up of 堂々・magnificent and 行進・コウシン・march. The とした here is not the volitional form of とする, its a separate construct like たる in previous examples. 堂々 has been covered in the previous lesson. 行進 is made up of 行・コウ・going and 進・シン・advance. 行 originally symmetric, is a pictogram of a street intersection, and means journey or to go. Now simplified, 彳is used as a radical and 亍 also finds use (postal mark). 進 is a ideogrammic compound of 辵 walk and 隹 a short tailed bird (like a sparrow). The idea here is to refer to the speed of 隹 a small bird and link it to 辵 walking, a fast walk. 隹 in this kanji is originally from 閵 which shows a sparrow exiting its nest (at speed). 行進 together has come to mean a fast journey somewhere by foot - or a march. All together 堂々とした行進 is a magnificent march.

行う or 行なう ・おこなう is to conduct oneself or to perform. It's a more dignified form of 行く to go.

軍隊は・the army (subject)・堂々とした行進を・dignified march (object)・行なりました。・performed.

以上

I get critical feedback on these threads.

Most places people aren't willing to tear you to shreds. I like the antagonistic way people act on Sup Forums. The only way to make good material is if it has undergone a rigorous critique.

Up until this point there has been very limited critique of my work, and the critique that has come may way has been highly beneficial.

Thank you all for your ongoing antagonism and critique, it really helps.

I want to finish the adjectival nouns before the end of the month. Next month I will start covering adjectives.

This sentence about cinema theatre.
確かにウチはさびれて 今じゃ技師とモギリくらいしかいねえがよ
What mean 今 and くらい here?
We are talking about "When to become deserted"?

>Or make a Youtube channel
He's lived in Japan for 10 years so his pronunciation is probably pretty good. Would watch.

Your material is nothing but worthless and irrelevant copy/paste bullshit which only serves to stroke your ego and has no utility for actual learners.
Fuck off to Reddit with your Reddit spacing, you arrogant piece of shit.

If his pronunciation is as good as his unscripted Japanese, it would probably be no better than old Davido-kun.
youtube.com/watch?v=d2FGgYp6mdk
Unless the cunt puts his ego aside and demonstrates he knows more than how to quote articles, he will be nothing but a tryhard obsessed with self promotion. It would be good if he could actually walk the walk while he talks the talk. Even better if he strutted his stuff anywhere but here on Sup Forums.

It's true this place is getting pretty deserted, nowadays it's more or less just an engineer and ticket-collector here.

Hang on there.

I lived in Japan for a year as an ALT. I've been studying Japanese on and off for 10 years. Since having lived there, I travel to Japan every year for a month (not including buddhist/shinto pilgrimages which take a little bit longer).

All in all, boots on the ground I have only spent about 2 years in Japan.

That being said, I am working on a youtube channel - just trying to figure out what the best way is to present my material.

I thought you were talking about this thread

>That being said, I am working on a youtube channel - just trying to figure out what the best way is to present my material.
That's great! A whiteboard with the finished kanji written on it and then you break it down on camera with the viewers seems like the most engaging method.

Is this sentence correct?

この女性は女らしい人です。

yes
>女性

I was thinking paper and brush instead.

I had another idea though, 'cutting' the kanji with a sword in the air and using aftereffects to add the strokes. I'm part of a sect that practices onmyodo or folk magic and part of our practice is kuji-kiri or 'cutting' the 9 seals. We sometimes 'cut' kanji in the air with our hands for mantras, sutras and poems for our practice.

It is said that samurai learned the proper stroke order of kanji from the strokes of a sword. It certainly helped me with my stroke order to think of it as sword cuts because of gravity and the flow the cuts need to go in.

I might make a test video to show what I mean.

That's certainly more dramatic than a plain old whiteboard. Just be sure to use sound effects.

But here いる in nai-form.
And why 今 - nowadays, it's not 今日.
I think it's "When this place is getting pretty deserted, then there is only engineer and ticket-collector

今日 means today, 今じゃ means noawadays.
しかいない means "nothing but"

self voiced sound effects please

>"woosh"
>"swoosh"

Okay, thank.

But to answer your original question くらい translates to "more or less" or "roughly", and 今じゃ is a slang version of いまでは (think of じゃない vs. ではない).

good

だが!

Does anyone know why Anki would be giving me the exact same cards in the same maturity categories as yesterday?

In the stats page it clearly remembers I did cards yesterday, but it's showing me the same new cards and reviews as if I never completed them.

Where can I find VNs for OS X/Linux/BSD?

kek this is why I went back to Windows.

Just run them on wine

I haven't used Windows since 2004. I can't go back at this point. I won't even remember how it works.

Not ideal, but eh.
I am going to try Tsukihime. It's old and runs natively on Unix through ONscripter.

Just dual boot laddo.

箱入りドロップス 第1~5巻
mega.nz/#F!5RomFTDK!Vq6JgvNyStsJSgGklbYFBQ
3~5 are digital rips.

Going to be uploading series like this maybe a few times a week in an ongoing fashion. Mostly cute series which both catch my eye and don't have an up to date source to download from, so others can enjoy it as well.
Was thinking, due to the speed that it may be useful if a thread on 八ちゃんのSup Forums was made and all the links to series, with pictures, was dumped into that and act as an archive. They would be posted here in these threads then "backed up" in the other thread, as it may never get bumped off their glacial pace catalogue.
The CoR is great and all but having a large catalogue of series can easily overshadow things and what I'm tending to post is of a similar sort of taste, perhaps.

Thoughts? Worth dumping all the links, retroactively, present and future into somewhere other raw manga readers of similar tastes? Does the other DJT thread on /jp/ care for manga or does it receive the sort of anti-Sup Forums scorn /jp/ is known for?

しかし

I downloaded that app that was supposed to teach me kanji in a fun way but it doesn't.
It's basically like tetris except it drops pairs of kanji and you have to combine them in pairs that mean something to get rid of them. Then it shows the meaning and hiragana reading for a second so that you don't manage to grasp a thing and throws next pair at you.

Am I being too stupid to learn Weeabooese desu ka?

You know what's fun? Masturbation.
Play with your dick a little and when you're done, check out the Guide in the link in the op.

By ejaculation you lose most of you zinc reserves and fuck up with your hormones severely which amongst others has a negative influence on your brain functionality that can last for weeks.

tldr; by masturbation you learn nothing

>By ejaculation you lose most of you zinc reserves
Good thing we consume things to replenish our nutritional needs.
You Catholic or something? Either way, you aren't learning kanji by being in this thread. Try the Guide. It provides guidance.
Tetris free.

It's hard to refill zinc and trying to do it too fast by is dnagerous

what app?

It's called Kasui.

I was just bored.

thanks mate, looks sort of fun but we will see

Cute OP

I've run out of new words for anki for the first time in years, is there a website with a list of words by difficulty or rareness that I can mine from or some shit?

People who read novels and such here - is the 誰 kanji used? I think I've only seen it in kana thus far.

It's used all the time.

As I suspected then. It's probably because I'm only reading beginner stuff.

1. What are the key differences between にん, ひと and じん (人) when discussing persons/people? Are they just different kanji readings that depend on context?

2. Are there any examples where Western names have their own unique kanji rather than katakana?

3. I've been told that おやじギャグ means 'old man joke'. Is this actually used by Japanese people?

4. In drama, I've heard お姉さん used for older women who aren't family. Is this common or only used for close friends/先輩?

>1. What are the key differences between にん, ひと and じん (人) when discussing persons/people? Are they just different kanji readings that depend on context?
ひと is used for the word 人. The other two are readings for compound words (on/kun readings I forget which is which)

>2. Are there any examples where Western names have their own unique kanji rather than katakana?
Yes but if you do this you should commit seppuku

>3. I've been told that おやじギャグ means 'old man joke'. Is this actually used by Japanese people?
I don't know

>4. In drama, I've heard お姉さん used for older women who aren't family. Is this common or only used for close friends/先輩?
Well you wouldn't really call a stranger it if you are a grown man

>Well you wouldn't really call a stranger it if you are a grown man
In one of the Zatoichi films, the main character calls a woman he's living with (not related), お母さん or お姉さん (can't remember which). Why would that be?

>お母さん
If she's a 'house mother', sort of like a live-in landlord.

>お姉さん
I think maybe it's used as a casual way to address older women who aren't old enough to be your mother...

That guy's just chatting shit family names are used all the time to refer to random people depending on what family member their age and gender would correspond to

お兄ちゃん(onii-chan)
Most Japanese girls use this for elder brother.......moe moe moe

..did someone say.萌え

Japanese society has a deep dark side.

How do you go about phasing anki out?

what do you even mean, just stop using it?

Stop cold turkey. The number of reviews due after a few days will make you never go back.

I've been using it for years though I can't just stop now

That would be too painful

is it really that hard to find a job in japan if you have the language skills (but are white)? why? do any of you guys have some good resources on that?

you need a bachelor's, or you're stuck working the extreme low end jobs
i have sources for this, but only in swedish, i also know two people living and working in japan that are non-natives

I do have a bachelor's, I'm more looking for high tier jobs in design and IT. I can't find much information regarding this. I only ever hear how it's near impossible to land a good job at a japanese company if you're a foreigner. Even if you are fluent in japanese.

Would you mind linking the swedish resources? I have some basic swedish skills, maybe they'll get me through it heh

>you need a bachelor
No you need a bachelors for a work visa. The actual field is irrelevant.
It's possible to find someone who would hire you without it, though a visa would be an issue.

Though you're probably right that you wont find any good jobs without it.

I hear it's better to go to companies who are already international, more willing to sponsor your visa, better working conditions and they usually already have some foreigners.
If you're talented and you can prove it I don't see why they wouldn't hire you. You'll also need at least JLPT N2.

As a programmer I've been looking at some vidya companies. But I've got no degree so it's pretty much meaningless for me anyway.

Are you 金持ち? Either way, thanks a lot. I really appreciate the rips.
What about raw manga threads on Sup Forums? Sucks that they really were just DJT in disguise after all, because they were pretty good.

It's just that I'm hearing over and over again that japanese companies aren't willing to go the extra mile of sponsoring a visa to a foreign candidate if they have an equally experienced resident as an alternative.

I think I missed my chance to apply for an internship while still doing my bachelor's. I just read up some stuff that due to visa regulations and general attitude of japanese companies it'd be easier to go that route. But well, I didn't take that chance.

俺の一番嫌いな言葉は、「いじめられる側にも問題がある。」という言葉だな。

バブルの頃に流行った言葉だな

vocaroo.com/i/s1uDQD06oqod

ではご機嫌よう

What the hell is wrong with kanojo?

Not that I know of, but you could mine useful names or hyougai kanji related to a subject you like (for instance, mythology, armory, types of monkeys or something)

I just had this idea, but you could make new decks that contain clusters of kanji.

If you fail one, you fail the batch. Else, you get to push forward 10 words at once.

That way you will have little to no reviews and can still somehow keep your kanji count in check.

supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules

The more I learn and read the less I think I'll ever be able to speak this language.

Except he's already learned it, so it's not unreasonable to make packed cards.