"INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE" SPOILERS

20 years after the alien invasion in 1996, the United Nations have created the Earth Space Defense (ESD), a united global defense program that serves as Earth's main line of defense against further extraterrestrial offensives, using advanced weaponry reverse-engineered from technology salvaged from the first contact.

ESD Director David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum) travels to Umbuntu, Africa, to investigate reports of an spaceship that had crash-landed in the area in 1996 and has recently become active once again, and finds out that the ship was drilling into the Earth's core and sent a distress signal to its race.

At EDS's headquarters on the Moon, longtime rivals Dylan Hiller (Jessie Usher), stepson of the late Captain Steve Hiller (Will Smith), and Jake Morrison (Liam Hemsworth), who is in a relationship with ex-pilot Patricia Whitmore (Maika Monroe), daughter of former President Thomas Whitmore (Bill Pullman), are preparing for the Fourth of July celebrations. Whitmore never fully recovered from his telepathic encounter with the aliens and is plagued by nightmares.

A wormhole opens near ESD's headquarters and despite Levinson's warnings that the technology doesn't resemble the invaders', President Elizabeth Lanford (Sela Ward) has the ship shot down. Levinson recruits Jake to help him infiltrate the ship and investigate, and, in their absence, the alien scavengers return in the Harvester, a massive warship with its own gravity center, which destroys ESD's headquarters and attacks Earth.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FEGW2jBzLgI
youtu.be/ls2CwZjQ9es?t=1m48s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>1996 was 20 years ago

During the attack, Dylan's mother, hospital administrator Jasmine Hiller (Vivica A. Fox), and ESD military commander Han Lao (Chin Han), among several others, are killed. Levinson's father, Julius Levinson (Judd Hirsch), who has become a succesful novelist, manages to survive and save a school bus filled with innocent children, which he begins driving to Area 51 in search of help.

Levinson and Jake escape the downed ship and return to Area 51, where they reunite with Dylan and Patricia. Whitmore locks himself with the captive aliens to establish another telepathic link, and learns that the aliens are led by a queen and are planning to harness the energy of the planet's core to fuel their ships, leaving humanity only 12 hours to stop them.

Levinson decides to use a secret weapon to disable the Harvester's force field, allowing ESD pilots bomb the Harvester with cold fusion explosives. The pilots succesfully infiltrate the ship just as Whitmore awakens and alerts them that the Queen knows they're coming.

The aliens disable the pilots' fighters with an electromagnetic pulse and destroy them, with Dylan, Jake and Rain Lao (Angelababy), Han Lao's niece, as the sole survivors. The aliens also kidnap Lanford, who is brought before the Queen and killed after refusing to submit to the aliens.

Whitmore's visions reveal that the key to defeating the aliens is a sphere contained in the crashed ship on the Moon. Levinson manages to retrieve it and communicates with the shared consciousness of an extraterrestrial race whose planet was destroyed by the scavengers. It reveals that several alien species once subjugated by the scavengers are assembling a resistance to strike back against them, and they want the humans, the first race ever to repel an invasion, to lead them. The sphere also reveals that the Queen is searching for it to locate the Resistance's base of operations.

Levinson decides to use the sphere to lure the Queen into a trap, tricking her into bringing a ship with a decoy sphere rigged with cold fusion explosives into her vessel. Patricia volunteers to sacrifice herself to pilot the ship, but Whitmore takes her place and succesfully destroys the Queen's vessel, but the Queen herself survives, albeit severely injured, due to her biomechanical armor and commands the assault ships to converge on Area 51 to destroy the humans and retrieve the sphere. Julius and the children arrive just as Area 51 is besieged by the Queen and her forces.

Levinson leads the assembled human forces in repelling the attack and protecting the sphere. Dylan, Jake and Rain manage to steal alien warships from the Harvester while the Queen is distracted and attack her, destroying her biomechanical armor. The Queen crawls out of her armor and launches a last-ditch attack on the base, but Levinson manages to decapitate it with the school bus, severing the Queen's telepathic link with her armada and causing all warships to crash. The Harvester detaches itself before it can reach Earth's core and returns to Space to regroup with the rest of the scavenger armada.

In the aftermath of the battle, Dylan and Jake make amends, Jake reunites with Patricia, and Levinson uses the sphere to send a signal to the Resistance, accepting their offer to lead an all-out offense against the scavenger empire in the far reaches of Space.

"Independence Day 3" pretty much confirmed.

Spacekino.

It's gonna become game of thrones in space with all these new races holding against the scavengers lmao

ayyy

Thanks for the synopsis, user. Sounds fun.

Why does the queen come herself when if she dies the entire invasion fails? Can't she just send someone else to do it?

Hahahah this sounds fuckig awful

At least maika is top waifu/10

So basically the movie is about Jeff Goldblum saving the day? Based.

what is joey kings role in the movie. im only watching this for joey king

Ender's Game directed by Roland Emmerich tbqh
Will still see

This sounds like Enders Game and Macros thrown into a blender.

And I couldn't be more stoked about it.

The original was basically 1950-60s B-movie sci-fi tropes thrown into a blender and executed with A-list actors and modern special effects.

This new movie basically sounds like 1980s-90s Anime and Sci-fi novel tropes thrown in a blender and made into a big budget blockbuster. And that too, sounds pretty incredible, pham.

Also, now that we know that the aliens have 20-story tall biomechanical suits, will mecha more or less be confirmed for the sequel?

So except for Jeff Goldblum, everyone who was in the original is killed off in this film?

Hubris is the typical flaw for an enemy too powerful to be defeated in a fair fight.

>will mecha more or less be confirmed for the sequel?
Well Independence Day has a love for jet fighters...

I would cum in my pants if we saw that in the sequel.

>and learns that the aliens are led by a queen and are planning to harness the energy of the planet's core to fuel their ships
wouldn't doing this on one of the literally billions of uninhabited planets in the galaxy be a whole lot easier?

>mfw no will smith

She's just one of the kids on the bus.

that's a good thing

Will's a faggot these days, but he had a somewhat legit reason for not coming back in that the story they had for him was the same shit that was in After Earth with a father/son story, and even the writers/producers said that with him not involved it would make it more of an ensemble story instead of just Will Smith versus Aliens: The Fresh Princening

Brent Spinner's character is in it and he survives.

He's also revealed to be gay.

Goldblum's dad survives, too. And technically Big Willy's wife's son.

Yeah but they want to kill humanity off anyway.

They're a warmongering species. Subjugating lesser beings is part of their culture.

Will Smith from 1996 is not the Will Smith from 2016. Based Goldblum, eh, is still uhm... based Goldblum. That's why it's not a bad thing.

INDEPENDENCE DAY IMAX IS LITERALLY THE ONLY HYPE BLOCKBUSTER OF THE WHOLE SUMMER

ITS THE JURASSIC WORLD OF 2016

WEAK AS FUCK YEAR 2BH

>Sela Ward as President Elizabeth Lanford, Thomas J. Whitmore's latest successor as President of the United States and the first woman in the country's history to hold the Oval Office.[5] About her character she said, "She's strong, decisive and not afraid to kick ass!"
>read spoiler

Kek

This is gonna be XCOM: THE MOVIE only on a larger scale

MY DAVID

WELL OF COURSE

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT

IT IS, AFTER ALL...

2 0 1 6

STILL HYPE FOR 90S ALIENS COMING BACK DOUBLE FORCE FOR REVENGE, WELCUM TA ERF IN IMAX

> queen dies, everyone dies
Oh for fuck sake...

Reminds me too much of the terrible plot from Falling Skies.

The American independance ?

President Bill Pullman and Jeff's dad also survive.

And of course, the children that are adults now.

DID FALLING SKIES HAVE A 200 MIL BUDGET SUNK MOSTLY INTO CGI

DID IT SHOW ON A 8 STORY HIGH 100FOOT WIDE SCREEN WITH 12,000 WATTS OF SUBWOOFERS

OFFICIALLY THE ONLY GUD BLOCKBUSTER OF THE SUMMER

Pullman dies.

we don't talk about Falling Skies here any more after that SHITHEAP of a last season

>no Independence Day 2 review by Patrice.

youtu.be/FEGW2jBzLgI

dropped
r
o
p
p
e
d

>people are actually excited for Independence Day: Electric Boogaloo.

>DONT INVADE MY OR MY WIFE'S SON'S HOMEWORLD AGAIN

>Levinson manages to decapitate it with the school bus

HAHAHAHAHA

>hawkish female POTUS
>weak leader
>gets herself captured and killed
What did they mean by this?

>no Randy Quaid
pretty disappointed tbqh

Randy is holed up in some shack in the woods waiting for the real invasion from Xenu and the Argonauts. Dennis still waits on Meg Ryan.

I'm hopeful that startrek 3 will be good and that they figured out why everyone hated 2.

-too much action at the expense of science/adventure
-retreading old ground instead of creating something new

ben hur might be good

it worked in ender's game

Rolling back Brent Spiner's death is easy, Randy, not so much

>As Spiner explains of Okun’s apparent survival:

>“People assumed Dr. Okun died in the first movie. I don’t know why they make that assumption. My eyes were open, this guy, the dreaded Adam Baldwin, picks me up, he puts his fingers on my neck. I wanted to look at him and go ‘you’re not a doctor! You’re a soldier!’”

>While eagle-eyed viewers might be able discern a sliver of life in the body of Dr. Okun after his alien captor was killed, most people who saw the scene assumed that he was just another casualty. However, this apparent majority was actually in the right… at least as far as what was originally intended. As Spiner further explains:

>“This is a little secret. He had a line that he said, ‘he’s dead’ and they cut the line.” Adding, “But, he didn’t say anything. So, cut two, here I am.”

We'll always have this though

youtu.be/ls2CwZjQ9es?t=1m48s

>28 minutes
no

nothing can be as terrible as that ending to falling skies.

>queen outta fucking
>dead alien race shows up with secret weapon
>poisons queen
>she dies and all of her race and the subjected slave races explode into mist
>yay multicuturalism

dl it as an mp3 and listen to it while you drive, try not to crash

A much better and simpler answer would be revenge. According to the synopsis we know that humans are the only species to ever successfully beat the invader aliens. It would make complete sense for them to be freaked out by that and send a much more massive force to wipe us out before we can become a real threat.

This.

>ben hur might be good
NO STOP REMINDING ME THIS EXISTS

Smith is a shit actor, this is good.

My IMAX friend has returned

why?

the 50's version wasn't even the first remake

this is hilarious

sounds like we get more hebe kikeberger in the sequel

>female President
Into the trash it goes

>severing the Queen's telepathic link with her armada and causing all warships to crash

Fuck this garbage trope

The guy had legit the best movie death in kino history, let him be dead

goldblum is now my coziest actor, he triggers my 90s nostalgia

Who?