ITT: Albums which were ahead of their time

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_7w9RHvpQ
youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8
youtube.com/watch?v=4krz_tNXhVk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Silver apples - silver apples

Obligatory

Could this count at the first Ambient album ever ?

Not really. There were several ambient records that predate No Pussyfooting, such as Popol Vuh's Affenstunde, Cluster's self-titled and Tangerine Dream's Zeit.

Still is ahead of its time.

Soviet industrial music predating industrial by over 50 years

youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_7w9RHvpQ

that's pretty sick
reminds me of Nature Unveiled

Five years ahead maybe.

Tilt is still ahead of our time

The first four tracks of Nite Flights are still slightly ahead of our time

Wild Man Fischer, dude was making meme music before Beefheart made it cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8

there still hasnt been another artist that sounds like james blake

Wow

>Meme music
He was mentally ill and musically inept. The Magic Band was comprised of outstanding musicians.

It's literally Mid 70s England: The Album.

Pic's early style Pere Ubu a couple years before them, and No Wave a couple more years before it.

>Dream Pop
Beach Boys

>Post-rock
Terry Riley, La Monte Young, other minimalist composers

>proto-punk/noise rock
The Sonics, The Monks, Blue Cheer, TVU's second album

>art rock and psych rock
The Beatles

Ahead of its time my ass.

This one's actually right.

Not really, I am pretty sure De La Soul released Three Feet High And Rising just slightly before this, and it was also composed of a ton of samples (I think it only has like about 10 or so less than PB) and has the same psychedelic maximalist feel.

Industrial hip hop existed for at least a decade before this came out.

It's The Beatles with a quadraphonic sound. Refined to perfection, but not ahead of its time.

Listen to more J-pop

Definitely for sure. Pop electronic stuff years before anyone else was doing it.

Everyone else was coping some kind of blues and jazz influence at the time. Not ahead of its time.

Some of the Berlin School guys beat it for sure, and even then it came out just around the time that stuff was being developed.

Scott Walker's experimental work from recent times is literally 21st century Zappa/Beefheart, making him pretty behind the times.

Definitely, he's up there along with Rusolo for legitimately pioneering that stuff.

I guess? A lot of its individual elements could be found in post-punk, but nobody just kinda Beatles'd it all up like they did on this record.

>Burial w/ some actual vocals and not as interesting beats
>ahead of its time
LMAO. Also perhaps you didn't listen to a lot of mainstream radio stuff from just a few years before this came out; it was a lot of melodramatic RnB with electronic effects on the vocals as well.

For sure a trend setter in mainstream pop, both for better and worse.

>For sure a trend setter in mainstream pop, both for better and worse.

>MBDTF
>trendsetter

MBDTF hasn't been replicated since it' release because nobody even bothered to try. It's a personal and artistic statement that wasn't concerned with commercial success and it's one of his lesser selling albums. MBDTF is the most singular release in hip-hop history.

A lot of stuff on here sounds like it should have been released in the past 10 years.

Also The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused was indeed the shape of punk to come.

i always think this one was released in the 90s

I am talking in terms of its approach. Just like Illmatic set the trend to have a bunch of different people on one record instead of just one rapper one producer, MBDTF takes something like that up to 11. Number of people that work on an average pop record has gone way up, a chief example being Beyonce's Lemonade.

From a sheerly musical perspective though, it wasn't even the first in the same year with a maximal approach. Janelle Monae released The Archandroid a few months before he released MBDTF, and in a way it's even more maximal with how much more diverse each track is on that record. Justin Timberlake approached maximalist pop himself with the 20/20 Experience.

I assume that this one was so obvious that no one posted it yet.

This album gets less and less praise with every passing year.

Not that user, but in the end I think a lot of people realize that the process for making the album is what's truly influential about it not necessarily the quality of the tracks themselves, but it does have a few brilliant tracks though.

there is nothing on this album that hadn't been done before. totally over rated.

>has no clue of the production process that goes into making music

Yup

youtube.com/watch?v=4krz_tNXhVk
this predates the first krautrock album on rym by about two years

damn i thought of this as soon as i saw the title
such a timeless album

Nah

>The Sonics, The Monks, Blue Cheer, TVU's second album
>TVU's second album
user....there's at least one album on that list that banana album was ahead of.

Show me a pop song like A Day in the Life. I'm genuinely curious.

how is this ahead of its time?

I think he might be referring to Penderecki, Stockhausen, Ligeti, et. al which of course did NOT write pop music. American Metaphysical Circus off of United States of America's s/t draws a lot from Ives but it was released a year after Sgt Pepper.

Because IMO it features a complexity of rhythm, originality and sound design that has yet to be matched, let alone exceeded.

just because (in your opinion) it's better than many albums in that category doesn't mean it's ahead of its time

>originality
don't get me wrong, I like this album, but you're deluded

Also a quick search on wikipedia shows that Blue Cheer formed in 1967. The Velvet Underground & Nico's recording sessions finished in November of 1966.

name one album similar to Confield that came before it

if you were a little bit less narrow minded you'd know what they were genre they were influenced when they were making confield

>It's a personal and artistic statement that wasn't concerned with commercial success and it's one of his lesser selling albums
Beyonce - Lemonade

>inb4 its not personal when it's made by lots of people
also relevant to MBDTF

>if you were a little bit less narrow minded you'd know what they were genre they were influenced when they were making confield

>you'd know what they were genre they were influenced

Not him, but please rephrase your sentence. I do not understand it in any way.

You are clueless idiots

Might as well be on Reddit lmao

Can we agree this is a precursor in dark industrial rock ?

oh boy

more like

What album is this? I was away from Sup Forums for like a couple of years and now i see this in literally every other thread.

pic very related

I love the album but it was very much influenced by Mark Hollis.

Almost all of his solo albums. What you can pin to a certain point in time - it would be the 80's. Other than that, his music transcends time.

RIP Jaki

First jazz fusion album.

absolutely. Probably never gonna hear an album like this again either

>Contrary to general belief, an artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs.
>Edgard Varèse

This is one of the most shameless newfag thread I've ever.

>dumps Sup Forumscore album
>I added to the music discussion!

ITT: overrated entry-level garbage

great contributions!!!

No contributions here, just stop making/encouraging turd threads.

what the SHIT

nooo ;_;

true, i'd love more shitty waifu threads

yes grrr how dare op make a music thread on a music board
yep it sure is op's fault that half of Sup Forums doesn't know music history

Fuck you I was gonna post these