Making music with computers, in need of a general

Can we have a general about making music with computers and electronics instruments?

Whatever involves software, MIDI controllers, synths with MIDI ports and anything related to this world belongs to this place, regardless of genre.

Also suggest a name for this general if you like this.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1pbaNATUpxn5H6NZT7yEJW3mLlzmH6f-Cln71n3PypFo/mobilebasic
boscomac.free.fr/?p=rack
mediafire.com/file/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i really like gridlock and prodigy. i have a eurorack on my desk next to me. what do you need to know?

/prod/ already does that..

/prod/

this is perfect because I've had a question I've been meaning to ask but didn't know where
I have an ARP Odyssey that I bought on a whim
I don't know shit about synths and how to work them
I've been running it through my guitar amp with a guitar cable, what kind of gear do I need to get the most out of it?

understand that different waves on your oscillator make different sounds. know what they sound like each. sines are smoothest, saws and squares are more fun and triangles suck.

you send shit into a filter. it filters frequencies you dont want.

envelopes help shape that. start times, durations, and release after you let go.

then you have an amp. make it loud.

thats about it. you'll figure it out as you hear what happens when you turn knobs more often.

thanks, I wrote that down will refer back to it when needed
if I were to buy another piece of gear what would you recommend? I was thinking something like a sequencer

you can literally sequence the korg odyssey with your cell phone, google it

I'm not seeing anything about that, can you link me to where you found it?

get a midi sequencer app and use the USB connector

Can I run a sample through the analog synth in ableton? I want use a sample and then edit the envelope filter etc on it

I don't have a link for it either, but find iphone adaptor midi and you'll find something quickly. its probably $20-100. i wouldnt buy a sequencer and i dont have one for my modular rig.

i love the nord lead. i just sold mine because it is collecting dust with everything else around me, but that is such a wonderful synth to learn the absolute basics on in a very fast way. shit like microkorg has too many menus and shit not immediately accessible.

i think the arp is a great synth to learn on. I'm not a huge fan of the sound of those things [they sound not very heavy and sorta spacey and more for sound effects i guess] but its just subjective. you have everything right in front of you to learn shit very easily on the arp.

also, youtube videos on subtractive synthesis.

the odyssey? it has an audio in jack for filter processing, so you can run anything that makes noise through it

how would I connect my phone? is there a special usb cable I need?

What is the best software for producing hip-hop?

I don't intend to make trap or simple boom bap with soul samples looped, I wanna make dense, layered productions. Any ideas?

fl studio

do you need an iphone or will any midi sequencing app work?

bump

no thw actual analog aynth that comes with ableton

The fact that you even bring up sine waves (you will rarely, if ever, find a sine wave on an analog synth) and reckon that triangle waves suck shows that you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

just google it dude, you're not gonna make it far if you can't answer these simple problems.

I don't know for sure but they probably sell that at radio shack

>analog synth that comes with ableton
ableton doesn't make analog synths, what are you talking a bout?

the analog instrument i mean. Can i run a sample through that or do i have to use the sampler

>

Meh, I wish I could enjoy the sounds, seriously. As it is, I prefer old fashioned instruments played masterfully.

If I could make myself enjoy these timbres, though, I'd be very happy.

(not your blog)

good post

better than your blog post no one cares about

Fuck off

better post

When I give lessons on music production, I always give them this.

docs.google.com/document/d/1pbaNATUpxn5H6NZT7yEJW3mLlzmH6f-Cln71n3PypFo/mobilebasic

Basically all the resources are FREE, from universities, with suggested readings + a few goodies from the /prod/ pastebin.

Are there emulators for old (as in the first few) drum machines? Where would I find such a thing? When I Google it it's all just links to like this one browser one that may or may not actually be intended as an emulator.

euphoric post my good sir

If you have Reaktor there's this.

boscomac.free.fr/?p=rack

Is FL Studio any good for recording/mixing real instruments?

eh. makes things too complicated for my tastes. simple actions that should be one click away feel like a thousand.

not sure, but there are tons of samples and honestly if you're interested in the old-as-in-first-few drum machines, those things sell on ebay for 50-200$ which is pretty cheap

mediafire.com/file/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar

heres a whole bunch of drum machine samples from kb6.de

what is simpler?

Still haven't figured out how to do that and Ive had FL studio for years

I just use ableton or audacity for recording live and mix it in FL studio

funny you should say that, because i use the sines on my analog synth all the time to support synth lines with extra bass, but rarely use triangles because i don't want a weaker sounding saw.

i'll ask for your opinion next semester when i'm teaching audio engineering and production though

wow that is one ugly faceplate

one thing I like about pre-90s modular is how clearly everything is marked, makes programming way easier