ITT: newish artists that will be regarded as legends 10 years from now

ITT: newish artists that will be regarded as legends 10 years from now

Other urls found in this thread:

last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature
youtube.com/watch?v=U76loq-MttU
sendvid.com/lehqkqeb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's also a good idea to screencap this thread

>new
Boucher was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia.[11][12] She is of Québécois and Ukrainian descent.[13][14][15] According to the time stamps on her original MySpace page, Boucher began writing music under the name Grimes in 2007

if it takes her 20 years to be a legend then lmao

she's already a legend m8

Dude, she barely learned to make music in 2007. 4 demos posted on Myspace isn't a proper debut. The legit start of her career was in 2010 when she released Geidi Primes and Halfaxa. She's almost 29 now and she already released 4 amazing albums and an EP.

As a comparison, excluding her work with The Sugarcubes, Bjork only issued Debut and Post when she was 29. So, Grimes has plenty of time ahead of her. Bjork needed 25 years of music career to achieve the legend status around 2001 (Vespertine).

I know, but she's not properly established. She's now in the controversial stage, just like Bjork was with Post (Art Angels is all over the place like Post).

bjork sucks also
>Dude, she barely learned to make music in 200
excuses jeff Buckley debut shits on every grimes album. that guy is a legend with just one album imagine if he didn't die

The Legend of the Dogface Cunt perhaps

He's a legend because he died young. Sure, his album was very good, but many popular artists that die young tend to become legends anyway (Cobain, Hendrix, Jopin, Winehouse, Morrison, the list is open).

>bjork sucks
You just shot yourself in the foot with this idiotic statement. No one could take you seriously anymore.

>jeff Buckley debut shits on every grimes album
That's just your opinion. You couldn't prove it, so............

pic unrelated I presume

grimes is better than bjork so my statement is correct idiot

>grimes is better than bjork so my statement is correct
Just because you think Grimes is better it doesn't mean Bjork sucks. You suck, dumbass.

Pic extremely related

I don't know what you mean by controversial. Björk was already established when Post released, in the UK at least, she was a household name.

I don't think Grimes will be remembered by many in years to come unless she releases something soon that gets really popular with people outside of her current fanbase.

I think you posted the wrong pic then

But björk is a fetal alcohol syndrome cunt who can't even sing but only got famous because of her "lelsorandumb quirkyyy xDD" style

no bjork sucks
grimes is queen

>I don't know what you mean by controversial. Björk was already established when Post released, in the UK at least, she was a household name.
But she wasn't a legend yet. Post was kinda controversial: It's Oh So Quiet as an example. Just like Art Angels, some folks whined that she went too pop / sold out. Retrospectively you could see how wrong they were.

>I don't think Grimes will be remembered by many in years to come unless she releases something soon that gets really popular with people outside of her current fanbase.
She could do that. Her popularity is on the rise. We'll see how well her next album will do.

Stop it. Both Grimes and Bjork are great.

no
grimes makes much better music by herself than bjork and her male producers. try again loser

Jfc, I like Grimes more than Bjork but I'm not going to pretend to hate Bjork. Basically stop being a mad pleb.

/thread

can Bjork do all of this?

Grimes profile:
>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Music style: synthpop mixed with dreampop, IDM, R&B, J-Pop, medieval, classical

>Instruments:
- vocals
- synthesizer
- sampler
- guitar
- bass
- drums
- violin
- ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director & editor
- dancer
- model

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

She could do many of them.

examples??

No question.

Lmao, Linkin Park-tier

goes to target once...

you first

me ;>)

Holy shit, grimesfags are the worst people in this board.

When will they get banned if they insist to be outside their containment thread?

she doesnt have any good music to back it all up

critics say otherwise

lol who tf is this nigger
Everbody knows about he will never be half as famous as TOP

yes Bjork can have a name, she can be born too, she has an origin too, and a music style

I don't see your point

They're the worst because they like something you don't like? You should be banned, asshole!

She has a lot of music to back it all up. She has not only critical acclaim, but acclaim from many fellow artists.

>Interviewer: What young artists do you feel an affinity with? I heard you're a Kendrick fan.

>Joanna Newsom: I loved the latest Bjork album, I'm excited about the idea of Grimes. I haven't wrapped my head around the record. I find her so compelling and so unlike anybody else and so incredibly talented, skilled, and fun. I love her. I met her in LA a few months ago, she told me something along the lines of, "I grew up listening to your music". I will say, it made me feel really old for about five minutes, then it made me feel really happy. I was like well, I guess I'm old now, but that's okay because this awesome and amazing young musician likes my music and said that it was special to her when she was younger, so that's great.

i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature

Is this bad?

You're not on her level yet. Listen to more classical and IDM.

And in what level Grimes is?

Grimes' only legend will be used to scare kids not to do drugs or you'll turn into this junkie hack who looks like shit

>You couldn't prove it, so............

Why does every Grimes fan make posts like this

why you say that? She looks healthy.

The so-called patrician level. It's just a meanigless label, but in her case it means someone who could enjoy all kinds of music from sugary pop to ambient and classical. An open minded music connoisseur.

What point are you making other than the proven false le technical skill = good art meme? Are you a troll?

Because they know that people like you can't prove it and all your "accusations" are meaningless without a solid proof. Case in point: some dumb pleb calls her music generic. If it's generic then there should be dozens of Grimeses in this world making music like her before her. Well, where are they???

grimes only got relevant on account of her ugly face and mustache, tumblr is no longer in and will most likely get shut down by based Trump so Grimes is over. no more yas queen

Not that user, but that pasta proves that Grimey is a diverse, eccentric and talented artist. As you know, judging art is subjective. The good art and the bad art are in the brain of the beholder.

this

>big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
l m a o

Well there's Bjork, Kate Bush, and the shitloads of Witch House artists that did the same shit she did, usually earlier.

>Well, where are they?

Where you can't find them because they take the most basic level of effort to find and aren't hand-delivered to your lazy ass by teenagers with parent issues sucking off Grimes' attention-whoring marketing campaign.

I can't believe how stupid you are. "Ugly face and mustache" wouldn't bring her any fans. Let's suppose she's ugly (she's beautiful, but just for the sake of the argument), then her music must be the main element that makes people to like her. Checkmate, idiot!

>proves that Grimey is a diverse, eccentric and talented artist

Does it? Does it really prove she has anything more than basic talent in any of those fields or is it just words on a page because she did each one once? I think Sup Forums pushes Grimes fans around a lot because they buy into all of this shit so easily, frankly. It makes them easily manipulated and gullible as fuck.

please shut the fuck up

Fucking this. Point proven in how they keep coming back just to cry about being bullied in every thread.

>Well there's Bjork, Kate Bush, and the shitloads of Witch House artists that did the same shit she did, usually earlier.
Name a Bjork, Kate Bush, whatever... song similar to Circumambient then.

>Where you can't find them because they take the most basic level of effort to find and aren't hand-delivered to your lazy ass by teenagers with parent issues sucking off Grimes' attention-whoring marketing campaign.
Shit comment. You basically avoided replying to the actual question. Name them or fuck off.

nice reading comprehension you fucking goof, grimes only has her image and that is saying even disgusting girls can make ditzy shit pop, 10 years from now noone is going to give a shit about her gay ass music and if she'll have a legacy if any it will be she was a trailblazer for ugly bitches.

Not an argument

Will anybody outside of Sup Forums remember Grimes when she retires from music? I tend to doubt it, not because I dislike her but because her brand of "experimental" synthpop is so prevalent now and is practically indistinguishable from the myriad other synthpop "artists" that are everywhere today.

I would bet money on this happening if I could.

>grimes only has her image
But you called her "Ugly face and [with a] mustache". Are you fucking autistic? If you pretend that people only care about her image then what you said it's against the common sense (people generally like beautiful women). Use your dumb brain for a change, moron.

>Name a Bjork, Kate Bush, whatever... song similar to Circumambient then.
>NAME SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THIS SPECIFIC SONG
You know what I meant, hot shot; compare their catalogues, you limp-wrist cherrypicker.

>Name them or fuck off.

I'm not going to dig up an entire portfolio for you. Start with Shrines by Purity Ring and find related projects and acts from there.
Careful, though, it might not be what you're used to since the entire album isn't complete garbage.

She's far more appreciated outside this shithole, be sure of that.

>her brand of "experimental" synthpop is so prevalent now and is practically indistinguishable from the myriad other synthpop "artists" that are everywhere today.
The thing is that synthpop is just a label. Her actual music sounds like nothing else. If you don't believe me I invite you post similar albums to Geidi Primes, Halfaxa, Visions and Art Angels. Go ahead.

>You know what I meant, hot shot; compare their catalogues, you limp-wrist cherrypicker.
>avoiding the question like a clown
I know all these discographies: nothing is similar to Grimes. I challenge you to prove me wrong with actual examples.

>Start with Shrines by Purity Ring and find related projects and acts from there.
>implying I don't know about PR
It's similar only on a shallow level (quirky synthpop with female vocals). I've heard all relevant synthpop so I'm curious if you could surprise me with an actual similar artist.

>it might not be what you're used to since the entire album isn't complete garbage.

>they like her so they must be easily manipulated and gullible as fuck
Get your head out of your ass. People like her because she makes great music and she's an interesting person.

>Does it really prove she has anything more than basic talent in any of those fields or is it just words on a page because she did each one once?
Who are you to measure her talent and declare it's just basic? She's making music beloved by millions [the results matter], you're shitposting on a Hungarian gospel board, so I'm not sure you're exactly an expert in talent.

Different user, but Oblivion off Visions sounds a lot like the second track off Thug Bungalow: youtube.com/watch?v=U76loq-MttU

a. It's not even similar. At all.
b. Visions it's from 2012, that crap you posted it's from 2014. Time machines don't exist yet.

I didn't say that liking her makes people easily manipulated, I said eating up any random tidbit of information as canon makes people gullible.

And I'm not measuring her talent and declaring it basic, I'm presenting it as a possibility because it's important to question how much faith we can really put in blocks of text on the internet.

Clearly you've had no problem questioning practically every other post in this thread, so why do you get so defensive when it comes to questioning that profile?

Unironically a better and more interesting listen than anything by Grimes

Tell me you're memeing

>that crap you posted it's from 2014
>Unaware of the origins of Thug Bungalow dating back to the mid 2000s
Also I'm sorry to dogpile you but that guy has a point, sure the production is shittier but that track really does remind me of Oblivion

visions is an 8/10
AA is a 5/10 grime grime doesn't know how to play guitar or watch catchy lyrics that get stuck in your head

notice how no grimefags start threads singing her lyrics.

>Pitched up Microsoft Sam sounds like Grimes' falsetto voice

Christ almighty how did I never notice

No, I'm genuinely not interested in listening to some amateur hour album slapped together for the yass queens by some autistic weeb with a mustache

>I didn't say that liking her makes people easily manipulated, I said eating up any random tidbit of information as canon makes people gullible.
People are eating up random tidbit of information as canon about every single artist good enough to generate big interest. In this case, those random tidbit of information could be verified (google is your friend).

>People are eating up random tidbit of information as canon about every single artist good enough to generate big interest.

Making them gullible. I'll try google for some of that list but as far as "Grimes violin" goes I just keep getting results for some chick named Sarah Grimes

>Unaware of the origins of Thug Bungalow dating back to the mid 2000s
Even assiming that's true, do you think Grimes would have access to unreleased music of that artist? Leaving aside the scenario of even hearing about that artist. Facts are facts: Oblivion was made in 2011 and released in early 2012, that Thug Bungalow thing was released in August 2014.

>Not just the second track

>Several tracks sound like something Grimes would make

Seriously, what the fuck? Is Icy P the father of contemporary Synthpop too?

>I'm genuinely not interested in listening to some amateur hour album...
>admitting he didn't even bother to listen to her music
Don't judge her music if you didn't even bother to listen to it, turbopleb. All your opinions ITT are null and void.

You have a containment thread. Please stick to it.

The greentext part was a joke, man; I don't seriously think Grimes was able to listen to Thug Bungalow and then thought to try and replicate it

>I'll try google for some of that list but as far as "Grimes violin" goes I just keep getting results for some chick named Sarah Grimes
There are violins on some of her songs and she's the sole player. There is also a post on Instagram with her playing a mean violin. I can't find it right now so I uploaded the actual video: sendvid.com/lehqkqeb

>studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes

Wow, that's like, sooooo impressive

What the fuck

It's impressive that she studied all that even if she didn't finish.

The fucking SUNSTROKE PROJECT!

(aka the lads with the epic sax guy)